Coolest themed restaurants for kids - my plan

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
9-11-22 updated to reflect booking success:

I'm trying to book at least 1 reservation sit down meal each day (early dinner mostly, or maybe late lunch). Since this is likely one of our few planned trips to WDW and my kids will be 6, 7 and almost 10 when we visit (November) I'm trying to find the coolest interior and theming. Cost and menu are less of a concern. Also of note I'm off property so will do my best using the app at 60 days out and setup some dining alerts. At the advice of someone I know who recently stayed off property, I ended up buying a 1 month subscript to mousedining.com and setup free alerts at 3 other sites. So far the choices at 6 am each day are not great. I am settling on 3rd and 4th options as place holders. I've upgraded to my first choice on the first several days via the alerts later.

My question is are these good choices and more importantly am I missing any obvious choices?

Day 1 Sun: AK: late lunch Yak n Yeti (booked)

Day 2 Mon: HS: lunch - Sci Fi Dine-In Theater (booked)

Day 3 Tue: off day: dinner at T-Rex (booked)

Day 4 Wed: MK: late lunch Jungle skipper Canteen (booked)

Day 5 Thu: US IoA: early dinner Mythos (booked)

Day 6 Fri: off day: character breakfast at Chef Mickey's (booked)

Day 7 Sat: EP: dinner San Angel Inn (booked)

None of these are travel days. All other meals will be a quick breakfast at our condo, or quick service/snacks.

The ones hardest to book from my test bookings using the app at 6am are space 220, chef mickeys and sci fi. Thanks in advance for comments or advice.

Last edited:

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Day 6 - try for the speedboat table in The Boathouse.

Day 7 - rainforest cafe

I would reverse day 2 - Space 220 will blow them away

Brown Derby for day 1 - Super interesting place - from another time.

Whats the deal with lounge vs restaurant? I'll snag 220 if I can just worried it will be too hard to get being off property.

Mousedining.com has alerts. Anyone use them?

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Roundup Rodeo BBQ is supposed to open this summer, no date given though. Probably be hard to get but keep an eye out if yours are into Toy Story.
Forgot about that. Great location in the park and theming. Just googled and saw an article from April that they were pulling permit's for light up signs on the outside. Sounds like maybe it will indeed be open soon and would be a great option and also could take pressure off other choices.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Whats the deal with lounge vs restaurant? I'll snag 220 if I can just worried it will be too hard to get being off property.

Mousedining.com has alerts. Anyone use them?
There isn't any advantage for onsite guests for booking restaurants anymore.
Lounge is way cheaper and you won't be stuck in there for 3 hours.
Let me say that sometimes kids get burned out on sit down restaurants no matter how well themed, especially the 6 and 7. Just temper your expectations.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Lounge is way cheaper and you won't be stuck in there for 3 hours.
Let me say that sometimes kids get burned out on sit down restaurants no matter how well themed, especially the 6 and 7. Just temper your expectations.

Good point. They can get bored for sure. I figured the sit down would be a much needed respite from the heat (I know Nov is usually comfortable) and walking.

As far as on site guests, they get to book 60 days out +10 right? I'm sitting here picking up the crumbs left over from those who are staying when I'm there and have already booked out! At least that is how I understood it.

OneofThree

Coral Reef is a great location for kids. And contrary to popular belief, I've had many excellent meals there.

I recommended Coral Reef here as a unique experience kids might appreciate. It's WDW common knowledge however, that you go to Coral Reef despite the food, which only reaches passable, on a good day.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
I recommended Coral Reef here as a unique experience kids might appreciate. It's WDW common knowledge however, that you go to Coral Reef despite the food, which only reaches passable, on a good day.

Thank you. I went as a kid and loved it. We actually got a backstage "VIP" tour of the aquarium there because my dad knew one of the divers through work connection. She took us to the top of the tank and control room etc. This was ~1990 or so. A memory to last a lifetime. Also still have a picture of the mickey shaped butter which we took about half a dozen pics of. 😄

I think though Space 220 and for some reason I'm fixated on San Angel Inn (looks cool in photos and video reviews). Plus my wife and I love Mexican food. I think Coral Reef would be a "safety choice" that I wouldn't hate by any means, but I wonder if its dated compared to the rest? It would probably be a great choice though and I think I'll keep it in my back pocket if I strike out on the others. Seems easier to book.

Last edited:

KaliSplash

2nd choice for Studios day would be Prime Time Cafe.
Agree with ditching San Angel Inn at Epcot. Coral Reef as mentioned above would be better, also Germany might be a better other choice. Or the rotating the rotating restaurant in The Land, which includes characters.
At the Magic Kingdom, Crystal Palace might be easier to get than BOG or CRT.
Flame Tree BBQ at Animal Kingdom is quick serve, but you can hang around near the river as long as you wish.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
I did hear Biergarten was cool as well. Wondering what you guys think about San Angel not being worth it. Any feedback there? Several have said to drop it.

As for AK, yes they all kind of looked similar inside....Nothing blew me away and that is our last day...I was thinking QS where we can sit, like Harambe Market or Flame Tree sounds cool. Just something spontaneous. Unless someone endorses a place that is a non brainer.

Club Cooloholic

Good point. They can get bored for sure. I figured the sit down would be a much needed respite from the heat (I know Nov is usually comfortable) and walking.

As far as on site guests, they get to book 60 days out +10 right? I'm sitting here picking up the crumbs left over from those who are staying when I'm there and have already booked out! At least that is how I understood it.
Well, technically they can book at 60 plus whatever days are on their trip, but it didn't help me much on my bookings. Get a Landry's card and you will be assured of getting into TRex and Rainforest. Another good one for MK is Skippers...decent food and ambiance.
Oh and my family have enjoyed San Angelo Inn, much more than biergarten

OneofThree

for some reason I'm fixated on San Angel Inn

San Angel is definitely a unique experience, but I didn't recommend that one because you had specifically mentioned something which might appeal to the young kids. The food IMO, can be hit and miss, with the best Mexican to be had on the other side of the pavilion at La Hacienda. If you can time a dinner resi at La Hacienda during the fireworks show, even better.

danyoung56

Unless I'm wrong, onsite guests get a 60 day booking window, while offsite guests only get 30 days.

I'm either very lucky or very undisriminating, cuz I've had many fine meals at the Coral Reef. You can't go wrong with the mahi-mahi, and they do a pretty tasty steak!

SteveAZee

I'm trying to book at least 1 sit down meal each day (early dinner mostly, or maybe late lunch). Since this is likely one of our few planned trips to WDW and my kids will be 6, 7 and almost 10 when we visit (November) I'm trying to find the coolest interior and theming. Cost and menu are less of a concern. Also of note I'm off property so will do my best using the app at 60 days out and setup some dining alerts. 2 adults, 3 kids.

My question is are these good choices and more importantly am I missing any obvious choices?

Day 1 : HS: 1st choice - Sci Fi , 2nd choice ???

Day 2: EP: 1st choice- San Angel Inn, 2nd choice - Space 220

Day 3: off day: Toothsome Emporium at Uinversal City Walk (booked)

Day 4: US IoA: Mythos (booked)

Day 5: MK: 1st/2nd choice BOG or CRT

Day 6: off day: 1st choice - T-Rex at DS, 2nd choice???

Day 7 AK: ???

Also looking to book a character breakfast at Chef Mickey's or Ohana (characters or not) on one of the off day mornings...

None of these are travel days. All other meals will be a quick breakfast at our condo, or quick service and snacks.

The ones hardest to book from my test bookings using the app at 6am are space 220, chef mickeys and sci fi. Thanks in advance for comments or advice.

Day 1: 50's Prime Time Cafe
Day 2: Biergarten
Day 5: Cosmic Ray's

Your choices should be good as they are, but I tossed these out as alternatives.
I picked these since my kids, at that age, enjoyed the antics.

Another favorite is Hoop Dee Doo in Ft. Wilderness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom