Controversy? Contemporary and Lyft/Uber

NelleBelle

Original Poster
So I've been trying to decide on a resort for my mom's retirement trip next May and the Contemporary was on our short list. But many a thread has been posting advice on trying to get to rope drop early by encouraging guests from other resorts/properties to Lyft/Uber over to the Contemporary and use the Walkway over to MK. I have to admit after hearing all this that I am not as enthusiastic to stay here as I once was. I feel like this is a benefit for guests who are staying at the Contemporary or who have dining reservations. It honestly irks me that so many people are using resort locations that are close to parks as loop-holes to avoid waiting in line for buses/Skyliner/designated Lyft/Uber drop-off/pick-up locations. Does anybody else feel like this? I know there will be a lot of comments opposing this view. But I feel that if I'm paying a premium for the location of easy walkway access, then it should be limited to those who have actual reservations of some sort at the resort!

Chi84

Premium Member
We're DVC members and often park at the TTC to visit MK for the day, use the walkway to go to TOTWL for drinks, then use the monorail to get back to the TTC. TOTWL has restricted access, but does not require reservations. There are other lounges/bars at the Contemporary that don't require reservations, and sometimes people just walk over to visit the Contemporary and its gift shops. If the walkway was restricted, I suspect people would just hop on the monorail instead. I'm not sure how this would help.

What is your particular concern with people doing what you describe? Is it too much congestion from Uber/Lyft drivers dropping people off, or too many people clogging up the walkway? if either of those things happen, I suspect Disney will find a way to alleviate the problem. As it stands, I don't recall the walkway ever being all that crowded.

People will have all sorts of opinions, but the thing to remember is that you are paying only for what Disney has decided to give you. There are people who are upset that Disney allows day guests to visit the monorail resorts just to look around (pre-COVID), but that's Disney's call. Unless Disney is promising Contemporary/BLT guests exclusive access to the walkway, there's no reason to believe that is one of the perks Disney has decided to give you for staying at that resort.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
It was a total non issue when I stayed at CR July 2019.
I don't think its nearly as many people as you think who actually do this.
I will say though that I was not pleased with the buses to AK and HS. They took much longer to arrive than at other resorts and the time kept changing.
Then a bus for AK, HS, and DS would arrive at once and it was a mess for guests to get to the bus they wanted.
I would consider taking Uber/Lyft to AK and HS if I stay again.

dmw

In the Parks
No
So I've been trying to decide on a resort for my mom's retirement trip next May and the Contemporary was on our short list. But many a thread has been posting advice on trying to get to rope drop early by encouraging guests from other resorts/properties to Lyft/Uber over to the Contemporary and use the Walkway over to MK. I have to admit after hearing all this that I am not as enthusiastic to stay here as I once was. I feel like this is a benefit for guests who are staying at the Contemporary or who have dining reservations. It honestly irks me that so many people are using resort locations that are close to parks as loop-holes to avoid waiting in line for buses/Skyliner/designated Lyft/Uber drop-off/pick-up locations. Does anybody else feel like this? I know there will be a lot of comments opposing this view. But I feel that if I'm paying a premium for the location of easy walkway access, then it should be limited to those who have actual reservations of some sort at the resort!
I don't have a problem with people getting dropped off and walking to MK. The number of people who do that cannot be that many. What really bugs me are the MK guests who ride the resort monorail loop to get back to the TTC at night. That makes the line long and monorail crowded for MK resort guests.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I don't have a problem with people getting dropped off and walking to MK. The number of people who do that cannot be that many. What really bugs me are the MK guests who ride the resort monorail loop to get back to the TTC at night. That makes the line long and monorail crowded for MK resort guests.

I'm gonna go ahead and say it...
You have no right to be bothered by this.
If Disney did not intend for non monorail resort guests to use the monorail then they would not have a stop at the TTC.
If you don't want to wait you can always walk back to CR. Its not that long of a distance nor does it take that much time.

Chi84

Premium Member
If Disney did not intend for non monorail resort guests to use the monorail then they would not have a stop at the TTC.
If you don't want to wait you can always walk back to CR. Its not that long of a distance nor does it take that much time.
There was a time way back when that Disney did limit the resort monorail to MK resort guests (at least at certain times), but it hasn't been that way for a very long time. There are many advantages to staying at monorail resorts, but I agree that people should not expect perks that Disney does not promise or intend to provide.

On the other hand, if there are problems with the resort amenities that are promised, such as parking or pool use, by all means let Disney know if those are not being adequately provided or are being used in ways other than intended by non-resort guests. I firmly believe in following all rules set out by Disney, but people sometimes make up their own rules and get upset when others don't abide by them.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
There was a time way back when that Disney did limit the resort monorail to MK resort guests (at least at certain times), but it hasn't been that way for a very long time. There are many advantages to staying at monorail resorts, but I agree that people should not expect perks that Disney does not promise or intend to provide.

On the other hand, if there are problems with the resort amenities that are promised, such as parking or pool use, by all means let Disney know if those are not being adequately provided or are being used in ways other than intended by non-resort guests. I firmly believe in following all rules set out by Disney, but people sometimes make up their own rules and get upset when others don't abide by them.

I just asked my mom and she said they went on the monorail back in 1974 during their first visit and were not staying at a monorail resort. She also recalls going on it nearly every time leaving MK since then. (Ferry on the way over and monorail on the way back).
So certain times? Sure but you were inferring that it was meant for MK resort guests but my family has experience that says otherwise.

I absolutely agree that non resort guests should follow the rules Disney has put forth which would include pool usage.
Its people that are constant rule breakers that ruin it for the rest of us.

Chi84

Premium Member
I just asked my mom and she said they went on the monorail back in 1974 during their first visit and were not staying at a monorail resort. She also recalls going on it nearly every time leaving MK since then. (Ferry on the way over and monorail on the way back).
So certain times? Sure but you were inferring that it was meant for MK resort guests but my family has experience that says otherwise.

I absolutely agree that non resort guests should follow the rules Disney has put forth which would include pool usage.
Sometimes memories fade, and sometimes there are different procedures based on the season. I seem to recall my family being asked to show our Key to the World resort card showing where we were staying to get on the resort monorail at certain times, not always. I wan't implying that it was reserved for resort guests at all times. Disney routinely changes its procedures based on its business needs. I'm sure there are others here who know for sure, but I suppose it doesn't matter anymore.

In any event, it was a long time ago when we used to stay at the Contemporary. When we started staying at non-monorail resorts, we didn't feel the need to use the resort monorail except for a very few occasions.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Sometimes memories fade, and sometimes there are different procedures based on the season. I seem to recall my family being asked to show our Key to the World resort card showing where we were staying to get on the resort monorail at certain times, not always. I wan't implying that it was reserved for resort guests at all times. Disney routinely changes its procedures based on its business needs. I'm sure there are others here who know for sure, but I suppose it doesn't matter anymore.

In any event, it was a long time ago when we used to stay at the Contemporary. When we started staying at non-monorail resorts, we didn't feel the need to use the resort monorail except for a very few occasions.

My mom's memories did not fade.
Its not as though she was a young child at the time where her memories may mix together.

NelleBelle

Original Poster
If we weren’t going when there will likely be social distancing in place, it probably wouldn’t bother me at all about the walkway. But the ride-share location drop-off/pick-up location for MK clearly is designated at TTC. I don’t want to have to have a line-up on the walkway with people who are trying to bypass where they are supposed to go just so they can get a good spot for rope drop.

As for the monorail resort loop, there indeed was a time when we stayed that CM asked to see your KTTW card at park closing.

Chi84

Premium Member
As for the monorail resort loop, there indeed was a time when we stayed that CM asked to see your KTTW card at park closing.
That's what I remember too. The CMs were holding a rope partially across the resort monorail entrance telling people it was for resort guests only and they did look at our card. I suspect this only happened at closing, but as I said once we started staying at non-monorail resorts, we never felt the need to use the resort monorail to get back to the TTC. The express monorail line, even when it was backed up, seemed to move a lot faster.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
That's what I remember too. The CMs were holding a rope partially across the resort monorail entrance telling people it was for resort guests only and they did look at our card. I suspect this only happened at closing, but as I said once we started staying at non-monorail resorts, we never felt the need to use the resort monorail to get back to the TTC. The express monorail line, even when it was backed up, seemed to move a lot faster.

So perhaps the difference is those leaving during the mass exodus vs those that linger.
Back in the day my family was always some of the last guests to leave the parks
Like when we used to stay offsite we often took a photo of our car as one of the last in the parking lot.

Last edited:

HollyAD

I stayed at Bay Lake tower recently. I didn't see anyone do this but I know things are different right now due to COVID.

dmw

In the Parks
No
I should have noted that we were staying at the Poly last year when this happened.

Rights have nothing to do with being bothered by it. It was an unexpected annoyance. We've stayed at all levels of WDW and were incorrectly expecting a short ride back to our room after MK closed, compared to the long walk and long bus lines in the evening. Now we know better.

Last edited by a moderator:

nickys

Premium Member

The resort monorail required a pass from the actual resort to board. The express monorail was for everyone.

nickys

Premium Member
I stayed at Bay Lake tower recently. I didn't see anyone do this but I know things are different right now due to COVID.
Even pre-Covid there were reports that some of the security CMs would only let a ride share with passengers into the parking lot if they had an ADR or were staying there. So people had to get out after the driver did a u-turn.

Of course anyone staying at WL or FW could also get a boat over and use the walkway, rather than their direct boat.

But as for the walkway getting crowded, I’ve never seen reports of the security check getting backed up.

Mickey5150

The resort monorail stops at the TTC so resort guests can get on the monorail to Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom