Contemporary?

Leigh51

Original Poster
I have booked the contemporary for our 47th anniversary. Royal Floridian seemed a bit stuffy,Polynesian looked good.Price wise I went with Contempory (atrium club level.)Any thoughts on what would be the way to go?Thank you.

NiarrNDisney

The Contemporary is nice though I personally do not find it very romantic! I too am not a fan of the Grand Floridian (it is stuffy) so for a Anniversary trip I would choose Boardwalk Inn, Polynesian Village, Swan, Wilderness Lodge or Yacht Club. However if you are looking for an amazing place to have an Anniversary dinner the Contemporary's California Grill would be a wonderful choice.

Skibum1970

I love the Contemporary. We stayed in the Garden Wing twice. It's quiet but you can walk to the Magic Kingdom (our favorite park). The monorail is just neat. I found it to be laid back and relaxing. The only one that competes for us is the Wilderness Lodge. We love the feel of the "park lodge" but the Contemporary is very different. I'd go there today if I could. Like, drive to the airport and get on a flight.

StarshipDisney

We stayed Atrium Club at the Contemporary in 2016 room 4842. Never stayed at Grand Floridian but did stay at Polynesian for our honeymoon back in 2000. Have also stayed at AKL and Yacht Club.

Theming arguments may have some merit, but that very short walk in the Contemporary Tower from room-to-elevator-to monorail, room-to-elevator-to-bus, or vice versa means a lot and cannot be beat by any other Disney resort.

Food and shopping are also extremely convenient..just get on the elevator. It also the hub for Sammy Duvall if you want to parasail or the like. This is by far our favorite deluxe resort.

Others may say different and probably will, but for us you cannot go wrong staying in the Contemporary Resort Tower.

correcaminos

While we like the transportation at Polynesian a bit better, there is nothing at all wrong with Contemporary. Club level will add to your stay for sure. I wouldn't question staying there as it's a nice location with a lot of great amenities :)

aw14

Stayed club level at Contemporary and Poly. I prefer Poly for themeing alone. Contemporary is a wonderful resort and likely the most convenient. You can’t go wrong with either.

Demeter Tess

I don't think you'll be disappointed in any of the monorail loop resorts. They all have their own merits. We've never stayed in the Contemporary atrium, but we did get to do several nights in Bay Lake Tower for our honeymoon. Lovely resort, and you can't beat that walk next door to Magic Kingdom!

Omi19

Have stayed at all deluxe resorts except Beach Club, several of them club level. All have merit. View from Atrium Club is awesome. Monorail has been down too often, including our being stranded on board for half an hour and missing an ADR. Celebrated our 60th! wedding anniversary last year at WDW, staying deluxe.

OneofThree

Just my own .02 cents -I think the monorail resorts represent THE most immersive and "Disney-like" experience on property, and it's not close. Which of those you prefer in terms of theme is personal preference, and any one of them should make for a very special trip on a special occasion.

Disney4family

We love The Contemporary & BLT. My husband loves all that's mentioned here - the convenience of everything in one place (especially not having to go outside when you get the usual "liquid sunshine" of Florida), the 5 min walk to MK (or actually back to the resort when the whole world is waiting for the bus or monorail), the monorail (especially to Epcot), The Cali Grill, etc. Personally, I love the history since going through it on the express monorail is one of the few memories I have from when I went to WDW as a child. I know theming is awesome in the other places mentioned, but I've been to 42/50 states. When I go to WDW and Florida, I want/need The Contemporary. We just spent our 20th anniversary there last summer. Enjoy a romantic dinner at The Cali Grill. Have fun and congrats!

smhurlb

I think you would really like the Poly for anniversary. Really has a warm feeling, like you've stepped onto Hawaii. I would take a standard room at the poly over the club level at Contemporary

nickys

Premium Member
I love the convenience of the Contemporary / Bay Lake.

Especially after fireworks, when everyone else is still waiting for the monorail, boat or bus and you are back at the resort, drink in hand sitting on a balcony or in a lounge. :D

And what's not to like about the monorail going through your hotel? ;)

prberk

We love The Contemporary & BLT. My husband loves all that's mentioned here - the convenience of everything in one place (especially not having to go outside when you get the usual "liquid sunshine" of Florida), the 5 min walk to MK (or actually back to the resort when the whole world is waiting for the bus or monorail), the monorail (especially to Epcot), The Cali Grill, etc. Personally, I love the history since going through it on the express monorail is one of the few memories I have from when I went to WDW as a child. I know theming is awesome in the other places mentioned, but I've been to 42/50 states. When I go to WDW and Florida, I want/need The Contemporary. We just spent our 20th anniversary there last summer. Enjoy a romantic dinner at The Cali Grill. Have fun and congrats!

I kind of agree with all of this.

And don't forget the marina. Not only is it nice boat access to Fort Wilderness (which itself has a lot of unsung charm, including the "Hoop De Doo Revue"), but how fun is it to rent a water sprite (little speed boat) to boat around in front of the MK -- and to drive your boat over another cool thing, the water bridge?

Nothing can beat the views and the convenience, to me. I am in my zone when I am just relaxing at the Contemporary, watching the monorail go by.

And I think a lot of people have that same "first memory" of riding the monorail through it on their first visit to Disney World.

eliza61nyc

If we're talking about romance... I'd personally recommend a lion king suite at the art of animation resort. Rawr.

.........I'll see myself out.

lol, OMG I just spit my tea out. thank you for the funny.

Now we've only stayed at the contemporary once. We enjoyed it but the decor is not my favorite but I'm not a modern, glass and steel type of gal. the pool area was "meh" BUT you can't beat the proximity to MK, walking home at night was heavenly.

I loved the GF. I use to like the Polynesian before the renovation. lol now it reminds me of the Marriott in Hawaii.

jimbojones

lol, OMG I just spit my tea out. thank you for the funny.

Now we've only stayed at the contemporary once. We enjoyed it but the decor is not my favorite but I'm not a modern, glass and steel type of gal. the pool area was "meh" BUT you can't beat the proximity to MK, walking home at night was heavenly.

I loved the GF. I use to like the Polynesian before the renovation. lol now it reminds me of the Marriott in Hawaii.
I love the contemopary but agree the pool area is meh, I'd go so far as to say it has the worst pool area of any hotel on property and if the hotel pool is a big thing for you it could seal the deal for another monorail loop hotel. Other than that though it is my first or second "money is no object" choice with the Poly being the competition for the title of first.

drwadadli

For what it is worth, here is my opinion.

My wife and I have stayed all all three "monorail" resorts and like one previously mentioned (@OneofThree) "the monorail resorts represent THE most immersive and "Disney-like" experience on property."

We stayed at the Polynesian for my birthday and we greatly loved the easy access to multiple different forms of transportation...can walk to the TTC to get to Epcot, take the boat or monorail to MK, and walk to GF for dinner. I agree it is not very romantic but it was where I wanted to stay as that was the resort my family stayed at all the time when I was a kid plus after living on a Caribbean island for 3 years it is nice to get immersed into that atmosphere.

We stayed at the GF for my wife's birthday and our anniversary. I agree it is a little "stuffy" but I think it is more romantic than the Polynesian. There are areas at the GF that have fewer kids so therefore it seems a little more romantic not having kids running around which it is difficult to get away from that at the Polynesian. There are also two very nice romantic restaurants at the GF: Narcoossee's and Victoria & Albert's (which we did the Chef's Table for our anniversary).

We stayed at the Contemporary for a family reunion and stayed in the Atrium section. We were across from the monorail and a floor up so it was nice to look out the door and see the monorail go by. On that side of the Atrium, our room at a view of Bay Lake which made it very nice to sit out on our balcony and either enjoy a morning coffee or an evening glass of wine. Getting to MK or Epcot is very easy with a very short walk to MK without needing to hope on the monorail and a one-stop on the monorail to the TTC to get to Epcot. We greatly enjoy The Waves for breakfast and even when we stayed at the GF, we rode the monorail around to the Contemporary to enjoy breakfast at The Wave. For us, California Grill is a very nice restaurant and knowing that you get to see the fireworks from the top makes it even more special but don't agree that it is a very romantic restaurant. There are a lot of kids up there since it is a place to see the fireworks without the large crowds on Main Street U.S.A. but for us, it was very noisy and that is NOT something we seek for a romantic restaurant. Don't get me wrong, they have good food, great view and wonderful staff but not quiet and romantic. Maybe it is more "romantic" later in the evening once the kiddies go to bed or back to the parks.

For us, one of the best resort romantic restaurants is Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge which is a short boat ride from the Contemporary. It is quiet, great food, wonderful staff, have enjoyed special surprise there for birthdays and anniversary (in our opinion - better than at other restaurants). Yes, there are sometimes kids there but we head there after 8 p.m. for dinner and rarely is it noisy at that time and plus they turn the lights down slightly at 8 p.m.

Just our thoughts and opinions. Whichever resort you pick, I am sure you will love and have a great time. Everyone's opinions will vary based on their experience and what they got out that trip so make your own experience and have the best anniversary. CONGRATS!!!!!

Dutch Inn '76

The Contemporary is my favorite resort on property. I like it because of the modern feel, the monorail right outside your door, and the walk to MK.

We also like Boardwalk because of its theming and proximity to the World Showcase. I like the Polynesian, mainly for Trader Sam's. I've never been a fan of the Grand Floridian.

As far as the "most romantic?" Probably Boardwalk, but love is everywhere baybeeeeee! (said in your best Austin Powers voice) :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom