Contemporary

mcst1010

Getting ready to book trip for November, and I am thinking about the Contemporary. I like the idea of being able to walk to Magic Kingdom. Last time I went, we stayed at Boardwalk. I loved it there, but the buses were BRUTAL. More than once we had to wait over 45 minutes for a bus and they were always full, but we could walk to EPCOT. Also, I am trying to stay away from there due to the 1/2 marathon and wine fest going on. I am just curious if anyone could tell me anything about Contemporary. If I stay in the tower, is the noise from the lobby real noticable in the room? Is there any real draw backs to staying there? So far I am definitely leaning in the direction of the Contemporary, but any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

captainkidd

Here is something else to factor in that in my opinion gives the Contemporary a slight advantage over the Grand Floridian. When taking the Buses to Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach and Downtown Disney/Typhoon Lagoon, during the mornings the Contemporary shares with the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge and in the afternoons/evenings they share with both the Polynesian and Grand Floridian. However no matter what the Contemporary is the 1st stop when being picked up so you have best chance of getting seats and 1st stop when coming back from those destinations.

Wouldn't that give a slight edge to the Yacht and Beach Club over the Boardwalk since those resorts share buses and they stop at the Boardwalk last?

Upvote 0

Innkeeper's Club

Wouldn't that give a slight edge to the Yacht and Beach Club over the Boardwalk since those resorts share buses and they stop at the Boardwalk last?
Going off topic for a moment you are only half right about that. The Boardwalk is last to be picked up for the Buses that go to the Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach and Downtown Disney/Typhoon Lagoon since they share Buses with the Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club & Beach Club when going to those locations.

However when going to the Magic Kingdom the Boardwalk only shares Bus service with the Swan & Dolphin, with the 1st stop being the Boardwalk, 2nd stop being the Swan and 3rd stop being the Dolphin.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Going off topic for a moment you are only half right about that. The Boardwalk is last to be picked up for the Buses that go to the Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach and Downtown Disney/Typhoon Lagoon since they share Buses with the Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club & Beach Club when going to those locations.

However when going to the Magic Kingdom the Boardwalk only shares Bus service with the Swan & Dolphin, with the 1st stop being the Boardwalk, 2nd stop being the Swan and 3rd stop being the Dolphin.

So when going to Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach, does that mean it's an advantage to stay at Yacht and Beach?

Point being, depending on how you look at it, it can be good OR bad. Personally, I prefer to be picked up 2nd. Means less of a commuting time to the parks. I've only stayed at the GF twice, but I don't recall ever having to stand on the bus.

Upvote 0

Innkeeper's Club

So when going to Animal Kingdom, Downtown Disney, Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach, does that mean it's an advantage to stay at Yacht and Beach?
That depends on what someones defenition of an advntage is. If getting a seat is a high priority then it's best to stay at the Swan since the Bus will stop there before the Yacht Club or Beach Club. Plus on the Buses to the Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach and Downtown Disney/Typhoon Lagoon the Yacht Club and Beach Club are the 3rd and 4th stops respectfully, not the 2nd.

Personally I see the Yacht Club and Beach Club having their own advntage since they don't share with any of the other Epcot Resorts when going to and from the Magic Kingdom.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

That depends on what someones defenition of an advntage is. If getting a seat is a high priority then it's best to stay at the Swan since the Bus will stop there before the Yacht Club or Beach Club. Plus on the Buses to the Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach and Downtown Disney Typhoon Lagoon the Yacht Club and Beach Club are the 3rd and 4th stops respectfully, not the 2nd.

Right, and Boardwalk is last. That wouldn't stop me from staying there though.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

I love the contemporary! I love the theme and don't understand why people say lack of theme?! Its a great place better than gaudy gf and dark poly ;). I've stayed in the wing room and at mk tower room. Both stays great. I visit that resort and hang out there on many of my trips. The walk to mk is probably like ten minutes and not too bad.

I've heard GF called many things, but gaudy????

Upvote 0

Innkeeper's Club

Grand Floridian self parking lot is across the street

To the OP if you happen to have a car it should be noted that the self parking lot for the Grand Floridian is across the street which includes crossing at a traffic light and the parking lot closer to their lobby entrance is Valet Parking only. This can be a issue depending on how many guests who visit there decide to drive themselves and self park, because it's a small lot compared to the other WDW Resorts. Now if you are just using WDW transportation the whole time then this won't be an issue if you choose the Grand Floridian.

Upvote 0
My DH and I stayed at the CR this past September. The "lack" of theme didn't really bother me but it could be b/c we were really only in the room to sleep and shower (for the most part). We had a theme park view which I thought was amazing. The ONLY reason I had this view was b/c I was able to get 40% off the rack rate.

We were on the 4th floor (maybe the 5th?)...can't remember exactly. I just know it was the floor right above the monorail. I usually woke up every morning between 5:30-6:00. The monorail started up EVERY morning at 6am. I think the only reason I could hear it was b/c it was so early in the morning and the resort was quiet. It certainly wasn't loud enough to wake someone up, but again, if you were already awake you would hear it. When you first walk in the room the bathroom is right there and then farther back are the beds. Any time the monorail went thru, day or night, and you were in the bathroom you could FEEL the floor slightly rumble. If you were towards the back of the room you couldn't feel anything.

Also, every morning between 6:45-7:00 you could start hearing the kids yelling and the singing from Chef Mickey's. There were one or two times that woke my DH up and he is a deep sleeper. Again, maybe it was b/c I was on the fourth floor vs. someone who may be on the 10th floor...who knows...but it's something to keep in mind. Or it could also be the fact that we were on Chef Mickey's end of the resort.

We went to MNSSHP one night and at closing the place was a nightmare with everyone trying to leave at the same time. It was really nice being able to walk back to the resort. It took about 10-15 minutes but it was worth it to not have to fight with people to get on the monorail. And I guarantee I beat those people who decided to wait for the monorail or bus. The two times we used the CR bus service during the day wasn’t that great. We decided to try it out since we weren’t in a hurry and we waited over 40 min for a bus to HS. While we were waiting there were several buses that came thru for the water parks and AK. The second time we used the bus was to go to the TTC. Again, we were in no hurry but that wait was ridiculous as well. I’m sure other people have had different experiences with the bus service but this is what we had to deal with.

Overall, it's not a bad place to stay. It’s really nice staying at a resort on the monorail for convenience. The theme didn't bother me but it was probably b/c all I had to do was walk on my balcony and I had a great view of MK. And it was so neat to watch the castle change colors throughout the night (well, at least until I fell asleep) :) I would stay here again but only if I was able to get 40% off again or it was free :ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

We tried the Contemporary for the first time last August and loved it. While we stayed in the garden wing, the rooms are the same as the ones in the tower. Barring any unforseen issues, we'll be staying there again for our next trip.

The convenience was amazing. We all loved being able to walk to MK...and it's a nice walk. Being able to take the monorail to the TTC to pick up the monorail to Epcot was also super handy...and obviously being on the resort loop was nice as well. It's also nice that you can take a boat launch to WL from the resort.

I know lots of people bash the Contemporary for theme, but of all the resorts we've been in, the Contemporary feels more like "I'm at Walt Disney World" than any other resort. While it may not be quite as Contemporary as ita name suggest (i.e. it's a bit more retro when you consider some of the elements) the mural screams Disney. I know not everyone loves it, but I'm a big fan of Mary Blair's work...and the minute I see the mural, it screams Disney loud and clear. Even my children look up at it and say that it looks like someone took some of the kids from It's a Small World and put them up in the hotel.

Speaking of the kids...they've seen the Wilderness Lodge pool (too cold to use it when we stayed there), the Poly pool, and the Contemporary pool. I even felt bad when we dined at the Poly and visited Wilderness Lodge last summer, because those resorts had really nice pools compared to the Contemporary. Wouldn't you know it- the crazy kids preferred the Contemporary pool- something about it actually looking like a normal pool. I know it won't always be this way, but I'll take it.

The kids don't know about the next trip, but I tried to talk lodging with them - pretending it was for a friend. I offered the Poly, Beach Club, or a Royal Room at POR. They didn't like the Poly b/c they thought it was dark and creepy, the didn't want Beach Club b/c they found out it wasn't near MK, and they said that while the Royal Rooms look neat and all, they want to go back to the place with the bathroom they love and the little beach. My girls are hotel crazy and it's amazing how picky they can be. I even pushed the pool again at the Poly, but they said no. I reminded them that a lot of the resorts have a beach, but then they said they really need the bathtub and the cool sinks in the last place we stayed. Like I said - CRAZY KIDS :D Sooooooo- Contemporary it is.

As for tower noise, while I haven't stayed in the tower I have several friends who have ... and were on the lower levels. They had no complaints of noise and one of them is a very light sleeper.

Upvote 0

38053WDW

Always wanted to stay there as a kid so we finally did.... We now are ready for stay #4 there in 2013 and might even try BLT this time. For me it's the Train Whistle that wakes me up every morning. I know it's time to get started so the coffee pot comes on and while the kids are sleeping me and the misses get some quiet time on the balcony watching the park come alive....I've done the Concier floor too. Same rooms but we did enjoy just walking down the hall for breakfast in our Mickey PJ's :) - Kids loved going down to the Arcade after dinner and we just shopped. Botton line is we are all different :eek: (Poly does nothing for me and GF seems to "nice" for kids).

Good luck on what you decide...

Oh yea ... it's nice to lay your head on your pillow and watch the Castle changing colors while you fall asleep.

Upvote 0
I've never thought of the Contemporary as "lacking in theme" ever but maybe that's because I'm on old Disney vet and the Contemporary was always my childhood favorite. I guess compared to the newer hotels then yes it may not be as themed in that respect. However, you make up for it in grandeur and convenience. Having the monorail at your front door really makes things easier and more fun. Ok so the bus to the other 2 parks might not be great but guess what? You can drive! People complain too much about buses - whether it's wait time or length of the ride. There's nothing wrong with driving and in many cases it's a lot easier and faster.

I agree that you won't hear the monorail but do try to stay away from Chef Mickey's. I know the sound of all the hussle and bustle and plates clanging around all too well.

Upvote 0

EvilQueen-T

I think like other places it has it's pros and cons. for me walking to mk is great. getting the monorail to mk can be problematic at certain times because the train is already full coming from mk. we stayed on the 14th floor mk view and never heard the monorail or chef mickey's. i like all the restaurants inside the resort. inside the room which was very dark (loved) and roomy (loved), i have to say i hated the square sinks...splashed terribly imo. the "theme" was certainly modern but so is the hilton, the windham, and any other nice resort off site so it did feel more adult a little less disney...until you look out the window and are engulfed with disney. i think the pool is boring and i keep hoping they'll do "something" with it but who knows if that will ever happen. room service was horribly slow when we were there (last weekend of august 09 i think it was...it was just after the bay lake tower opened). but with all that being said my granddaughter asked to stay there for our next trip which is starting june 1st so we are there at least this one more time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom