Consumer Reports EPCOT #1 and Bad News on the EPCOT lawsuit

FutureCEO

Original Poster
Line starts here for a true guide to theme parks
Published May 6, 2003

The people at Consumer Reports must have been testing bongs last month. The proof is in the June issue, the magazine's first-ever review of theme parks.

And coming in first is ... Epcot?

This is like ranking Old Milwaukee as the top beer. Oops, I forgot. Consumer Reports has done that too.

Don't get me wrong. I like Epcot. The older I get, the more I like it.

The rankings are based on a national survey of almost 2,500 people.

What did the magazine do, survey people at Winter Park Towers?

The park's only "thrill" ride is a General Motors infomercial called Test Track. I go faster in my minivan.

As for the World Showcase, it is dominated by the Axis of Weasels, including France, Germany and China.

This isn't to say Epcot is without merit. You can get something to eat besides bad hamburgers and smoked turkey legs. And Honey, I Shrunk the Audience is themost clever 3-D movie I've ever seen.

But Epcot is hardly the park I'd recommend for someone cominginto town for only one day.

Even more absurd is the ranking of Disney-MGM Studios as second best. I have a pass to allof theparks, and this is the only one I haven't visited twice. It has the least to do and the least to see. Its marquee ride is the Tower of Terror. My unterrified preschooler went on it three consecutive times.

The local tourism people should be happy with the rankings, however.

Of the 14 parks listed, Orlando parks sweep the top five spots. Coming in third, fourth and fifth aretheMagic Kingdom, SeaWorld and Universal's Islands of Adventure.

Animal Kingdom is seventh, and Universal Studios comes in at11th.

With all due respect to Consumer Reports, let me put the parks in proper order. I begin by saying water parks are not included. If they were, Wet 'n Wild and Blizzard Beach would be high on the list.

1. Magic Kingdom. It has tradition, it has Cinderella Castle, it has screaming kids and sweating, exhausted parents. It has Mickey -- although you have to wait in line 45 minutes to see him. This park doesn't have the best rides, but it makes up for that with quantity. It is the premier park for kids but also has enough variety for all age groups. If you can visit only one park, this is it.

2. Islands of Adventure: This place has more thrills than all the other parks combined. It has the area's best ride, Spider-Man, and the best roller coaster, the Incredible Hulk.

3. SeaWorld: Consumer Reports actually said this park was not crowded. Maybeit got the survey results mixed up with Splendid China, because SeaWorld packs them in like sardines (ha ha ha). The difference from other parks is that a crowded SeaWorld is more manageable because you generally don't have to wait in line to look at fish. You go in auditoriums. Kraken is second only to the Hulk among coasters.

4. Animal Kingdom: Like SeaWorld, there are things to do that don't require standing in line. And while you're doing them, you can get a FASTPASS to Kilimanjaro Safaris.

5. Universal Studios: Terminator 2 and Twister are top-notch. Back to the Future and Jaws still amuse. But Men in Black is a poor rip-off of Magic Kingdom's Buzz Lightyear.

6. Epcot: Indian food would help.

7. Disney-MGM Studios: If Cypress Gardens were included,it would have tied forseventh.

and some bad news---------------------------------------

'Major victory' claimed in Epcot intellectual property lawsuit
Bob Mervine

An Orlando attorney says U.S. District Judge Patrica Fawsett has cleared the way for an October 2004 trial on a potentially expensive lawsut that charges of the theft of intellectual property byWalt Disney World.

Fawsett ruled April 10 on requests by Disney attorneys to dismiss the case.

Orlando attorney John Stemberger heads a team of five law firms handling the suit. They represent an Ohio man who claims his father conceived a concept which eventually became Epcot, long before Walt Disney's company decided to build the theme park.

The suit charges that Disney stole the idea and asks for "potentially hundreds of millions of dollars," from Disney in damages, according to Stemberger.

Stemberger says, "For now, this is a tremendous victory," adding, " This gives us the green light to do the extensive investigation and discovery needed to set the record straight."

A Disney spokeswoman says, "This hearing provided the judge an opportunity to try and prove that they have a case. When the facts come out, it will be clear that they do not." Disney has 30 days to respond to Judge Fawsett's ruling.

Sir Hiss527

Sweet A new Thread! That is total shame for the Walt Disney company, In what these people said about there company. Epcot is not based on rides, it is based on technology, culture, and magic of course. Anyways this law suit is being takin out of proportion. I still do not believe Walt Disney stole ideas from another person. I believe that Walt Disney designed, and created Epcot. This really ticks me off :mad:. Sorry :cry:

Dayma

I enjoy Epoct because I get to ride smoe nice rides and also have more time to relax and just take in the sights!

RU42

I couldn't disagree with your analysis more. Of course I respect your opinion but I would disagree with some of your line items. Just because you do not like Epcot or MGM does not mean they do not have value. This is not meant as an attack so please do not take it as such - just a different opinion. :D

It was a test of theme parks, not thrill rides. Just because Epcot does not have any does not mean it is not a good theme park. Anyone could make a cookie cutter park. Epcot dares to explore new idea and dare I say it, educate at the same time. The World Showcase is spectacular for it's concept and execution. And setting aside the political jibberish aside (which is irrelvant to the issue), each Pavilion is different and brings new places to people. Universal - both coasts. 6 Flag type parks - all over the place. Even Sea World is a been there, done that experience. But looking at Epcot as a whole, it is unique. For that I agree it should be ranked #1. Diversity of attractions, great and diverse food, holds crowds well, and a nice variety of entertainment. I do agree, an E ticket or two would be a welcomed addition.

I would recommend the park to someone coming into town for one day, depending on who they are and what they want to do. Take someone from my neck of the woods, Anaheim, CA. Most likely they have been to DL a few times. If they had 1 day to spend I would tell them to go to Epcot. There is even a possibility to send them to MGM since it is different then our Universal Studios.

One thing I would agree with, MK should be above MGM - but that might be more of a personal opinion. :D

Dayma

Epcot now has three thrill rides...

Test Track
Body Wars
Mission to Mars

Kinda hard to say they dont have any atm.......

RU42

OK - I will allow that. I personally wouldn't consider TT or BW an E-Ticket, more of an advanced D ride; but ok. Mission:Space you are correct, probably could be classified as an E-Ticket, my mind was more of in the time period of the CR survey - whenever that was.

RU

EpcoTim

Really? So what bong did Consumer Reports find to be the best? Let me guess.....it was definitely made in another country.....just like they hate and are totally biased against American car manufactures. And Old Milwaukee the best beer? The only reason I ever drank that stuff was in college, when i didnt feel like counting anymore change. Although I can see where Epcot would fall in top slot based on its pure originality, and I think I would vote it #1, but then again, im wasted, and I dont think most people would think like me anyway.

themovienight

Alright...All I have to say is that: Where is the thrill in Test Track? I could've rode World of Motion bunches of times and would like to ride it over and over again. Test Track was one of those, Do it once don't do it again type rides.

As for Body Wars, I think the whole Wonders of Life pavillion needs to be taken down. There is no reason for this pavillion to still be open. Put something more useful in it's place that actually is fun. I think Body Wars itself is a horrible ride. Everytime I go on I just want to exit as soon as I can because the ride is so boring and the acting and the plot is horrible.

I hope that the opening of Mission Space will stop Epcot's losing streak with attractions.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
OK, I just have to hop into this one. I couldn't disagree with you FutureCEO more. The WDW for some people does not revolve around thrill rides. Let me repeat that again...Not everyone goes to WDW/Orlando for thrill rides.

We don't. And most of the people I know that go don't as well. Sure, I'll get on PotC, Dinosaur, and TT. But if the line is to long, I skip them.

I know pleny of people that go to Disney and never enter the parks. They golf and do other sports.

Epcot is our favorite (or tied with AK). We love just walking around the showcase. I know my ex-boss loved it to. He'd do the beer in every country tour. :p

If I want trill rides, I'll go to my local amusment park (Hershey Park) or take a day trip to Cedar Point. I don't spen $1000's to go to Orlando to ride a thrill ride that I can do in my own back yard.

And from the sound of the Consumer Reports article, others agree.

BTW, the Epcot suit is old news that was discussed a few weeks ago. :D (That was said with a joking tone, I'm don't busting on you :animwink: )

Sherm00

Epcot is one of my favorite parks, Any park can have thrill rides, but what park pokes your imagination. I agree with consumer reports.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by FutureCEO
i didn't write this, sorry. got it from a website.

No problem, I wasn't "attacking" you either, just expressing my opinion. :D

You never expressed your opinion though. So what's yours on the article?

FutureCEO

Original Poster
me, Epcot is an amazing one of a kind best technology with cultures in a park, if you can understand that :lol: EPCOT is my favorite park. Fireworks, Unique Parade, Fountain, Rides, Soon-to be Mission Space, Torches, American Adventure is the best ride/show, cultural stuff and open spaceness of it.

mickey04

Originally posted by Sir Hiss527
I still do not believe Walt Disney stole ideas from another person. I believe that Walt Disney designed, and created Epcot. This really ticks me off :mad:. Sorry :cry:
The lawsuit is not actually against Walt Disney's idea for EPCOT (as in the city of the future.) It is against the Epcot theme park that the Walt Disney Co. created after his death. The designs are actually very different. To find out about Walt's EPCOT, visit waltopia.com.

Anyway my view on the whole case is that if this guy truely had the idea for Epcot, he should of done something about it 20 years ago. Its too late now (just my opinion of course.)

As for the issue of the consumer reports thing, well, everyone has a different favorite theme park. Mine is MK, but also differs from Future CEOs. I also believe Epcot is a great park (even though some folks find that impossible without a bunch of unthemed, run-of-the-mill roller coasters.) The point is, we all enjoy different things and to say their choice of Epcot is stupid and that they must have "been testing bongs" shows immaturity and an inability to accept that the opinions of others could be different from your own. Also thought it was interesting to note that you listed "Epcot and Magic Kingdom" as your favorite parks in your profile, Future CEO. :veryconfu

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by EpcoTim
Let me guess.....it was definitely made in another country.....just like they hate and are totally biased against American car manufactures.

That’s because there cra@p. Poor handling fuel wasting monstrosities with no poke.

Glasgow

Trying to categorize theme parks/amusement parks is like saying there is one greatest car in the world. Greatest to whom?
I'm sure they listed many qualities and based on this overall view, Epcot came out on top. So what .. that's their opinion. I don't know why people hinge so much on what other's think.

Anyway, if I had to pick just two parks to go to in Orlando, and I could pick only two, it would be Epcot and Islands of Adventure. If you asked a 4 year old the same question, they might say MK and Univ. Studios. If I asked my grandma, she might say Seaworld and the "Depends" store. So what

As for the lawsuit, let em sue. All will be decided when the cards are laid down on the table. Don't think that just because Disney said they didn't do anything wrong that they "necessarily" didn't do anything wrong.

If there is one thing you should learn from Discussion Boards, it's to think for yourself and base your opinions on known fact!!

Cheers

Dayma

ummmm I forgot to tell you guys that I came up with the idea for Magic Kingdom.....umm where it my attorney?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom