Considering DVC

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If you have contracts under different UYs, they're considered to be separate memberships. You currently need to purchase 150 direct points under one membership in order for that membership to be eligible for Member Magic benefits.
And just to clarify (since this trips some people up), triggering a new membership doesn't mean you have to use a different email address and login info. You can still see it under a single Disney account.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
And just to clarify (since this trips some people up), triggering a new membership doesn't mean you have to use a different email address and login info. You can still see it under a single Disney account.

This is my situation and it works well because my two member IDs gives me two opportunities to receive transferred points from other members.

Last edited:

JaxFLBear

I did not know that the 150 had to be the same use year. There's ways something to learn with DVC.

It has to be the same membership. I think that means it could be at different resorts but same use year and deeded the same.

@JaxFLBear will know for sure.
Definitely, must be same membership. Don't know how they are dealing with separate memberships when it comes to the digital membership card (Disney MagicMobile Pass in smartphone wallet).

If it's a new purchase, I'm not sure if they allow different resorts to make up the 150 minimum purchase. We've been members since 2007, so I don't really follow any changes regarding the minimum purchase.

nickys

Premium Member
Definitely, must be same membership. Don't know how they are dealing with separate memberships when it comes to the digital membership card (Disney MagicMobile Pass in smartphone wallet).

If it's a new purchase, I'm not sure if they allow different resorts to make up the 150 minimum purchase. We've been members since 2007, so I don't really follow any changes regarding the minimum purchase.
I’m sure a new purchase must be at one resort to qualify.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member

I’m sure a new purchase must be at one resort to qualify.

Digital membership card works and shows DVC Y. I believe it just scans system to confirm presence of a DVC Y membership instead of flagging a DVC N membership. It also must have a way to auto update because I set this up a few years ago and haven't had to manually update.

It's different within the MDE app because there it'll only show my annual pass with label "Disney Vacation Club Member Disney Sorcerer Pass" where it has the pass expiration date and a new one load upon renewing. I use this one almost exclusively, even at the lounge. I think think because of the name of pass CMs accept for both AP and DVC purposes, as only a DVC Y could purchase this specifically named pass.

Anecdotally I've read people say they're DVC Y after getting to threshold across multiple resorts. I cannot confirm it though.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Side note, Disney had a system update and they're no longer visually checking to see "DVC Y" anymore. They now scan your QR code and their scanner will pop up a green checkmark to confirm that you're eligible. It's the same sort of thing they do at Early Entry to confirm that you're a resort guest.

cjkeating

Side note, Disney had a system update and they're no longer visually checking to see "DVC Y" anymore. They now scan your QR code and their scanner will pop up a green checkmark to confirm that you're eligible. It's the same sort of thing they do at Early Entry to confirm that you're a resort guest.
I really wish Disney would explain what we are meant to do to prove DVC. Since the blue card went I think each time I've been the method of verification has changed.

On my last trip I just asked bluntly but politely 'what do you need me to do to prove DVC discount' and every CM said something different. 🤣

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I really wish Disney would explain what we are meant to do to prove DVC. Since the blue card went I think each time I've been the method of verification has changed.

On my last trip I just asked bluntly but politely 'what do you need me to do to prove DVC discount' and every CM said something different. 🤣
I should have specified, this QR code solution also allows you to tap your card or MagicBand. So I think we're good to go with what should have been the solution from the very beginning. Tap your (whatever), and it'll know it's you.

BrianLo

I should have specified, this QR code solution also allows you to tap your card or MagicBand. So I think we're good to go with what should have been the solution from the very beginning. Tap your (whatever), and it'll know it's you.

I have the blue card in the apple wallet and it appears 'tap-able'. But definitely this integration that everything is linked together and knows who you are makes the most sense.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member

Do they compare name that pops up to an ID?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Exactly! They should do.

I haven’t actually seen any first hand accounts of a QR code being scanned @CaptainAmerica . Is it being used yet?

Oh, and where is the QR code? In my wallet I just see my card with DVC Y on it. No QR code.
If you tap on the information icon in the upper right when looking at your card in wallet, it brings up the details and if you scroll down you should find the QR code.

At least that's how it works on my Apple Wallet. I even have to tap the info to see the DVC Y affiliation, it doesn't show on the "card" itself.

nickys

Premium Member
If you tap on the information icon in the upper right when looking at your card in wallet, it brings up the details and if you scroll down you should find the QR code.

At least that's how it works on my Apple Wallet. I even have to tap the info to see the DVC Y affiliation, it doesn't show on the "card" itself.
Thanks, I was trying to tap the card itself ! 😂

capndave

The size of OKW (and Saratoga Springs, for that matter) is definitely a turn-off for me, since we don’t normally drive to Orlando or rent a car. I appreciate the insight about availability of AKL and MK area!
Saratoga Springs big plus for us is the proximity to Disney Springs. There's a walking path to the Disney Springs. It's fairly close if you stay in the Congress Park section of Saratoga.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Saratoga Springs big plus for us is the proximity to Disney Springs. There's a walking path to the Disney Springs. It's fairly close if you stay in the Congress Park section of Saratoga.

We stayed in this area earlier this summer and enjoyed being closer to DS but we also got lucky because whole requesting the section we had been assigned another. When checking in there was one room left in congress park, so on other trips I'd be worried about not getting the requested room location. Also, at the ppoibt cost for preferred in it's range of multiple other resorts I'd rather stay.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Exactly! They should do.

I haven’t actually seen any first hand accounts of a QR code being scanned @CaptainAmerica . Is it being used yet?

Oh, and where is the QR code? In my wallet I just see my card with DVC Y on it. No QR code.
I didn't attempt any discounts but they were using it two weeks ago at the Saratoga Springs Preview Center. They were doing "Welcome Home Weeks" where blue card members could stop in for free ice cream bars. The first day we went, I had my DVC Y screen ready to show them and they said they had to scan the code instead. Interestingly, the first Cast Member I talked to had never even seen the DVC Y code before and had to ask her colleague what to do.

As we were eating the ice cream, we heard them tell another member that they could also tap a MagicBand or room key, basically anything that points back to your My Disney Experience account. So the next day we tried it with my wife's MagicBand and that worked too. It looked and felt exactly like the scan they do to verify eligibility for Early Entry in the mornings.

They did not check ID in either instance.

On Android, these are the two buttons. The three dots are how you get to the "DVC Y" screen and the "Show Code" button is how you get to the QR code. But like I said, tapping also works.

Screenshot_20240831-164838.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom