Confused??? Why is the Sword and the Stone show featured in the new commercials?

JimboJones123

Original Poster
As far as I can remember, the show has been dead in both parks for about half a decade? Odd that it would be featured in the new ads.

Could they be bringing back the show???

I have a friend that was a friend of Merlin and it broke his heart when the show ended. I would rather the show than an additional 4-5 dancers in the parades.

Just wondering.

Are they showing Dreamfinder, Horizons, Alien Encounters and the Swan Boats in the ads next?

asianway

As far as I can remember, the show has been dead in both parks for about half a decade? Odd that it would be featured in the new ads.

I have a friend that was a friend of Merlin and it broke his heart when the show ended. I would rather the show than an additional 4-5 dancers in the parades.

Just wondering.

Are they showing Dreamfinder, Horizons, Alien Encounters and the Swan Boats in the ads next?

They also have random roaming character interactions in the commercials for WDW which is blatant false advertising. Particularly grating is the one where Evil Queen sneaks up on the kid behind the carousel. Gotta wonder if it's intentional or the PR people have no clue how entertainment operates.

Kev1417

didn't the show only have one kid pull out the sword? if Disney brought that back all the parents whose kid didn't "win" would be upset and filing complaints. Also how special would it be if every kid that walked up would be able to pull the sword out? kind of defeats the purpose of sword in the stone, no? I don't blame Disney for not wanting to deal with that anymore.

JustInTime

Because they use the same add for both parks I'm guessing. And DL still has their show. Anyway, I loved that show and I could see Merlin coming back with hime being the new host of the MK interactive game.

nepalostparks

They also have random roaming character interactions in the commercials for WDW which is blatant false advertising. Particularly grating is the one where Evil Queen sneaks up on the kid behind the carousel. Gotta wonder if it's intentional or the PR people have no clue how entertainment operates.

I've seen where characters walking to or from their meet and greet locations interact with guests along the way, which would qualify as "random" I guess. I also don't recall anywhere in the commercial you're speaking of where it blatantly says there will be random roaming characters.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Is the sword front row when you walk into Fantasyland? Yes. It is an icon.

Do characters free lance at times or walk to and from spots? Yes. I have pictures from two trips this yea with free lancing characters.

Is the ad false advertisement? See above.

Can the Evil Queen sneak up? Yes but not usually in high traffic times of the year.

PhilharMagician

Just wondering.

Yeah I saw that and it made me say Hmmm. There was something else in the commercial that I thought was also not right. I'll have to watch them again.

These commercials were slammed during every break for American Chopper Sr vs Jr last week. I thought it was a little odd.

JillC LI

Do characters free lance at times or walk to and from spots? Yes. I have pictures from two trips this yea with free lancing characters.

Is the ad false advertisement? See above.

Can the Evil Queen sneak up? Yes but not usually in high traffic times of the year.

A few years ago I was sitting with our 2 children on a platform in Frontierland eating Dole Whips and waiting for the parade to begin when Br'er Fox sneaked up behind us as a joke. Gave us quite a start although it was very funny! (As an aside, it was particularly funny because when I was a little girl 30 years previously at WDW, Br'er Fox had startled me and my little sister in a similar way!)

stillgoofy

I read something recently that said the new interactive game coming to Magic Kingdom next year (I forget the name) has something to do with Merlin. Maybe it's a tie-in to that.

DKampy

I had a random Character interaction. I was in an elevator at the wilderness lodge about a year ago. It also happen Goofy was there too. I was wearing my Chicago cubs baseball cap. Apparently Goofy is a huge cubs fan. He pointed at my hat...gave me a thumbs up...then started messing with it...taking it off my head...acting as if he was going to walk off the elevator with it...etc

I think that the randomness can still be there...but for crowd control and the safety of the guest it is for the best to ostick with the M&G's and so forth.

I think if a cast memeber see a magical oppurtunity it still can happen.

WDWFigment

I also noticed that, and thought it was odd. Does Disneyland actually still do the show? I've never seen it there.

More surprising than anything, I thought, was the mainstream pop choice of music. It's the first time I could recall Disney using a mainstream song (might have happened before, but I've never noticed) in an ad. Maybe Disney is trying to stay hip?

I was actually shocked when I first went to WDW and you had to wait in line at specific places to see characters. I had seen all of the commericials with just random interactions, so I wwas disappointed to realize that Mickey doesn't just walk around randomly.

I understand why they can't do that with major characters, though.

I have been chased by the Queen of hearts just walking in fantasyland one day, and had some random interactions during MNSSHP

fngoofy

I disagree, I have seen (and gotten pictures with) characters on their way to and from greeting points interact with guests. I have also seen characters in very informal meeting spots. Examples would be: Alice characters by the teacups, pooh characters in the back of UK, and Brer Fox & Bear by the shooting arcade.

Now if you want to get serious on the blatant misrepresentations, play the the WDW DVD Planner Drinking Game:

Take a drink when...
-you see someone walking on grass in a park
-you see a ride that is no longer in existence
-you see a guest walk right up to Mickey with no one else around
-you see a ride represented by pre-built artist's rendition (ex. people standing in the ToT)
-you see a chef talking to the guests at their table (V&A & food allergies excluded)
-they imply that two attractions are close to each other when they are not
-you see a character riding the attraction with a guest

There you go.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I disagree, I have seen (and gotten pictures with) characters on their way to and from greeting points interact with guests. I have also seen characters in very informal meeting spots. Examples would be: Alice characters by the teacups, pooh characters in the back of UK, and Brer Fox & Bear by the shooting arcade.

Now if you want to get serious on the blatant misrepresentations, play the the WDW DVD Planner Drinking Game:

Take a drink when...
-you see a ride represented by pre-built artist's rendition (ex. people standing in the ToT)
-you see a chef talking to the guests at their table (V&A excluded)
-they imply that two attractions are close to each other when they are not
-you see a character riding the attraction with a guest
There you go.

Alice and/or White Rabbit ride the teacups with guests daily. The characters also used to ride with guests during EMH up until not that long ago. I believe that a number of characters still do on party nights.

Gomer

This also happens. If you have special requests or needs at a dining location the chef is required to come to your table and discuss the menu options with you. My son has some food allergies so we meet and talk to the chef at every meal.

I have seen characters riding the Carrousel!

Also, the chef ALWAYS comes out and talks to me because I have food allergies. One walked me around the buffet at 1900 PF and offered to make me literally anything I wanted. I felt too embarassed to take him up on it.

jmick71

the sword still works, i have a friend that is a tour guide at WDW and she says she takes the kids (on private tours) to the sward and they do pull it out, She said they have a cast member push the button when they pull. She was talking about it in may so it is still currently in operation.

BTW the commercial never showed the actual show, just the sword being pulled from the stone

disneyeater

Take a drink when...
-they imply that two attractions are close to each other when they are not-you see a character riding the attraction with a guest

There you go.

TV shows are notorious for that. I watched the Boy Meets World the other day where they go to Disney and the number of times they went between Epcot and Magic Kingdom in a day was crazy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom