Confused and a little nervous...

Rob562

There shouldn't be a problem upgrading a ticket even if it's linked to a MDE profile already.

But, one possible issue that just came to light with your previous post... You mentioned that you got the tickets for free as a thank-you from Disney. Sometimes comp tickets can't be upgraded, and don't have any monetary value. If it's the older paper-style tickets, is there a dollar value printed on the back? Does it say "COMP" or something like that?

-Rob

journ116

Original Poster
There shouldn't be a problem upgrading a ticket even if it's linked to a MDE profile already.

But, one possible issue that just came to light with your previous post... You mentioned that you got the tickets for free as a thank-you from Disney. Sometimes comp tickets can't be upgraded, and don't have any monetary value. If it's the older paper-style tickets, is there a dollar value printed on the back? Does it say "COMP" or something like that?

-Rob
The tickets I have are indeed paper tickets: blue, with a Fab5 character, with "Let the Memories Begin" written on front; as for the back, "5 DAY PARK HOPPER AGES (10+)...Expires 14 days from first use."

When I called in September to renew our current AP's using those 4 PH's, the CM said she could do it over the phone and that the tickets in my possession would be Voided. However, the CM and I talked things over, and felt the best course of action would be to let our current AP's expire and purchase new ones upon arrival. I don't think she took into consideration the new FP+ system....neither did I (kind of hoping it was a bad dream).

Guess I'll be making a call to my DVC today! Let you know what I was told and what I was able to accomplish! Thanks for the tip!

dreamfinder

I do see what you're saying: link those PH's to my MDE account now, then once we arrive, buy our AP's (yes, we'll be limited to only 5-days worth of FP+ until then). However, how will those 4 PH's be upgraded if they're already linked to my account? I'd rather not eat up precious park time trying to wrangle with Disney's notoriously "unglitchable" system. Your suggestion though is a good one, giving me more to ponder and discuss with my DH.

Thank you!

Linking the tickets doesn't actively use them until you walk in the gate. Linking them does nothing more than prove to WDW that you have valid ticket media good for X number of days. And you would want to actually use your existing tickets prior to trying to upgrade them as that "bridges them" to the current gate price. Upgrading them prior to use would most likely only give you the value at the time they were purchased. But using them once to enter the park, guest relations can then "bridge them" which makes them worth current gate price, so you end up paying less for your APs. However, as @Rob562 pointed out, if they were comps, or sold to DVD as heavily discounted, then they may not be upgradable. DVC would most likely not know the correct answer, you would need to speak with someone who deals with ticketing on a daily basis. For our trip earlier this month we linked UT 5 day PH tickets to our accounts. Used our magic bands to walk into MK, and walked straight over to guest relations, and asked for our tickets to be bridged, and then applied towards a DVC AP. The bridging brought the tickets value to $460, instead of the $440ish I paid, which meant the APs were only $30ish each.

You may want to wait until you get there to upgrade. I believe only active APs can use FP+; a voucher will not work until activated.

There have been some issues linking Undercover Tourist Tickets to MDE. You may want to do this sooner rather than later to make sure there is ample time to call tech support.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/anyone-else-having-trouble-linking-ut-tickets-to-mde.873741/

Vouchers should indeed work. When you go to link the ticket they pull up pictures for about 17 different types of media, with instructions on how to add them.
And we added UT tickets about 4 weeks ago and had no problems at all.

Jeffxz

Vouchers should indeed work. When you go to link the ticket they pull up pictures for about 17 different types of media, with instructions on how to add them.
And we added UT tickets about 4 weeks ago and had no problems at all.

Vouchers for normal tickets will work, but I don't think vouchers for an AP will. I think the AP needs to be activated before it will work with FP+. I'm going by second hand information on this, so I may be incorrect.

journ116

Original Poster
Alrighty, here's what I was told by a DVC rep:

-she is not able to take our 4 a. 5-day PH passes and use them toward 4 DVC AP's over the phone
-said CM suggested I call Disney's Ticketing # to see what they can do (however, they close @ 4:30 p.m. EST)
-lastly, she told me what some of you have already said: go ahead and add the 4 a. PH's to our MDE account and assign them accordingly, then upgrade them at Guest Relations once we arrive
-meanwhile, we will be able to participate in our FP+ 60-day window when it does open

Moving on: I placed an order for 4 a. and 1 c. 5-day PH's with UnderCoverTourist.com, which should arrive by Nov. 4th via regular shipping. This should give me at least a month to get them added and assigned to my MDE account, baring in mind that there may be glitches.

Rob562

Even if the Ticketing Office can't upgrade them over the phone (and I'm going to learn toward "no, they won't be able to") they should at least be able to confirm that the tickets aren't Comp tickets and have a dollar-value that can be used toward the upgrade.

-Rob

journ116

Original Poster
Even if the Ticketing Office can't upgrade them over the phone (and I'm going to learn toward "no, they won't be able to") they should at least be able to confirm that the tickets aren't Comp tickets and have a dollar-value that can be used toward the upgrade.

-Rob
I have added those tickets to my MDE account and assigned them to my family who will be getting AP's. I was told by my actual DVC rep that I could use them toward the purchase of Disneyland tickets, AP's, 10-day PH if I wanted to. There is no place on my tickets that say "COMP." So, I can only assume that they do indeed have a monetary value...fingers crossed again!

journ116

Original Poster
UPDATE:
*I was able to link our tickets (the 'free' ones) to my MDE account. They are successfully showing up under "My Reservations." I was told by a Technical Support CM, Olen (you'll see a nice convo I had with him below) that those tickets are now 'virtual passes,' but to bring them along on our trip "just in case."

*However, under "Magic Bands and Cards," our KTTW cards from our trips in April and June 2013 were showing up. I made them 'Inactive,' but really wanted them deleted from our account, because I had already tossed them after our respective trips. So, I called Technical support (after a failed attempt at trying to 'chat' with them online)...I waited 22 min. 34 sec. until I got someone on the line.
CM Olen (I think that's what I heard), was able to quickly remove those KTTW cards and reminded me that once those cards are gone, they're gone. I assured him that I no longer possessed those cards, so he went ahead and deleted them. Well, while I had Olen on the phone, I decided to ask him some questions that were arising on these forums:

Me: "Have you come across any guests having trouble linking tickets bought from UnderCoverTourist to their MDE account as of late? I ordered some for the rest of our travel party, but am worried about successfully linking them to MDE."

Olen: "As a matter of fact I have. Those guests are finding that once they enter their ticket #'s into the system, they are not showing up under "My Reservations," but as 'Needs valid admission' under the "Magic Bands and Cards" category. However, a simple call to Tech Support should clear that right up. I have also heard that guests are using the mobile MDE app to scan the barcodes of those tickets, successfully linking them into their "My Reservations." So, there's that option as well to try."

Me: "Hmm. OK. So, in 16 days when I receive my travel parties' UCT tickets, then try to link them to my MDE account, but may possibly find my efforts unsuccessful, I should try doing so via the mobile app OR call you guys?"

Olen: "Yup."

Me: "OK, one more question while I have you on the line. In regards to my already linked 5-day PH's assigned to my family: I should be able to upgrade them to AP's at Guest Relations once I arrive?"

Olen: "Yes. You will have 14 days from first use to make that upgrade. However, I suggest that you bring the physical tickets with you in February just in case you were to run into any issues."

Me: "And if FP+ is still going on when I arrive, kind of hoping it won't be, I should be fine making FP selections when my window opens using those tickets? Unfortunately, I'm hearing a lot of rumblings about the new system."

Olen: "Well, testing is now scheduled through Jan. 4th, and I'm pretty sure that FP+ is here to stay."

Me: inaudible <hurumph>

Olen: "As for your situation, you will receive a notification in the mail 30 days from your arrival inviting you to participate. I think that's where some guests are running into trouble, because they're receiving that notification too close to their arrival."

Me: "So the bugs are still being worked out?"

Olen: "Yes."

Well, by this point my DD's were anxious for breakfast, so I had to end our conversation. I thanked Olen for his time and made the kiddos pancakes. Olen and I did chat about other things, like being a DVC member and his recent stay at Jambo House with his fiancé; so, I found him very personable and easy to talk to.

Take away what you want from my experience...I learned that Tech Support is really busy, especially fielding issues with linking tickets and being able to remove or fix items in MDE accounts. I didn't get to press the CM I talked with about FP+, because frankly, I wouldn't know where to begin...besides, he didn't personally design it or enforce it....at least I don't think he did ;)

I'll let y'all know how I make out, or don't, when I receive my UCT tickets (delivery is estimated no later than Nov. 4th). Until then, if any of you come across any new experiences (good and bad), or learned anything new regarding MDE and FP+ issues, please, please, please share them!!

Thank you all again!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom