Confused and a little nervous...

journ116

Original Poster
O.K., so I "thought" I had the logistics of the new FP+ system, Magic Bands, and MDE figured out...but after reading through several threads and hearing about 'the fiasco/glitch' at DHS and EP the other day, I am getting even more confused and extremely nervous for my upcoming trip in Feb. 2014.

Here's the background on my trip:
-Travel party: 6 adults and 3 children staying at the new Villas at the Grand Floridian for 8 nights.

-My party of 2 a. & 2 c. are DVC members, and are thinking of buying AP's again (had to let them expire this year...long story), but not until we arrive (because we have 2 5-day PH's to put toward the purchase). This gives us more time to save for said passes.

-The other members of our party are family members along for the ride...they,too, want/need to save every $ they can and will buy 5-day PH tickets from Under Cover Tourist. I told them to wait until one month out from our trip to buy, giving them more time to save for said tickets.

-Currently, I am the only one with a MDE account set up, but added everyone from our travel party to my account.

So, my questions to all you fine people:
1. Will Magic Bands be required to tour WDW?
2. Will waiting to buy our tickets, and buying said tickets from an off-site vendor, have an affect on our ability to tour WDW (i.e. ride ANY rides due to ALL rides going to a FP+ system, and the scheduling of those FP+ beginning 60 days out from our arrival, which is Dec. 8th)?
3. Will being an AP holder, and waiting to buy said AP's the day after we arrive, have an affect on our ability to tour WDW?
4. What are our chances of riding the attractions with historically lower wait times (i.e. Living with the Land, Spaceship Earth, Nemo, IASM, Tea Cups, POTC...at least during the time of year we go) WITHOUT scheduling a darn FP+ time?
5. What can we expect the new 'normal' way to tour the parks...for example: we like to arrive at MK at or shortly after rope drop, snag FP's for 1 major attraction, then ride ALL the rides in Fantasyland sans FP's (PP, IASM, Carrousel, CoP, Pooh, Dumbo, Barnstormer, and Tea Cups...we once got ALL of the completed in an hour!)?
6. MDE and our travel party: should I set up an account for our family members? But I want to make sure that they're connected to our reservation.

Any and all help will be much appreciated! And I apologize profusely if any of this was discussed in another thread...I just can't seem to find the answers to fit our scenario though.

Thanks!

journ116

Original Poster
1. Magic Bands are not required. You can use your ticket or Key to the World ID card to use FastPass+ or FASTPASS.
Good to know! But how will us not having our tickets until shortly before arrival affect our touring of the parks via FP+? Will we miss our opening with "keeping up with the Jones'" by not scheduling a FP for say Soarin' at the 60-day mark because we don't have our tickets yet? I'm still perplexed...

Texas84

I made changes to my FP+ while I was there. For example, I scheduled Soarin' 24 hours in advance and the earliest I could get was 12:10. But this was still test mode. If February is live, it might be more difficult to get the times you want. Remains to be seen.

6. I don't think everyone needs an account. You should be able to add them as friends and enter their tickets. AP holders probably should use an account then link.

journ116

Original Poster
I made changes to my FP+ while I was there. For example, I scheduled Soarin' 24 hours in advance and the earliest I could get was 12:10. But this was still test mode. If February is live, it might be more difficult to get the times you want. Remains to be seen.

6. I don't think everyone needs an account. You should be able to add them as friends and enter their tickets. AP holders probably should use an account then link.
So, if I have a resort reservation (staying at VGF), I can schedule FP+ despite not having my tickets in hand? And, when I do get said tickets (ours might be AP's...but, I'm now rethinking that), I can link them to my account, even if they're bought from an off-site vendor? I want more time to save for our tickets, so I might not have them in hand for a while...

journ116

Original Poster
1. Magic Bands are not required. You can use your ticket or Key to the World ID card to use FastPass+ or FASTPASS.
Just thought of something, if I don't have a Magic Band, how can I "tap my way" thru a park entrance and use FP+? We are not buying a package from Disney, just staying on points at VGF. Do we need to visit a ticket kiosk in front of a park entrance to exchange our paper tickets for an RFID card? Or, will our resort link members of our party's tickets to their KTTW?

Geesh, who thought sorting out tickets, FP's, reservations would be so difficult?!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Just thought of something, if I don't have a Magic Band, how can I "tap my way" thru a park entrance and use FP+? We are not buying a package from Disney, just staying on points at VGF. Do we need to visit a ticket kiosk in front of a park entrance to exchange our paper tickets for an RFID card? Or, will our resort link members of our party's tickets to their KTTW?

Geesh, who thought sorting out tickets, FP's, reservations would be so difficult?!
All admission tickets and KTTW cards have the RFID chip embedded inside them, so they work in the same way as the Magic Bands in that regard.

If you have existing paper tickets that have unused days on them, you can get them converted at guest relations.

journ116

Original Poster
All admission tickets and KTTW cards have the RFID chip embedded inside them, so they work in the same way as the Magic Bands in that regard.

If you have existing paper tickets that have unused days on them, you can get them converted at guest relations.
So, if I buy tickets from UnderCoverTourist.com, those tickets will be the hard plastic ones with the RFID (similar to my current AP)? If that's the case, then that's one question answered...thank you!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So, if I buy tickets from UnderCoverTourist.com, those tickets will be the hard plastic ones with the RFID (similar to my current AP)? If that's the case, then that's one question answered...thank you!
Yep all admission media must be RFID now. If it isn't, they will convert it at guest relations.

journ116

Original Poster
Yep all admission media must be RFID now. If it isn't, they will convert it at guest relations.
Thank you! I can cross that concern off my list!

Onto the next though: how can I participate in FP+ if I either A. buy my tickets or AP's after I arrive, or, B. buy my tickets only 3 weeks out from arrival? And, what are the chances that I will be able to select FP's for our "must-do" attractions (i.e. any of the mountains, Soarin', Test Track, TSMM, ToT) the 'day-of'?

Rob562

Thank you! I can cross that concern off my list!

Onto the next though: how can I participate in FP+ if I either A. buy my tickets or AP's after I arrive, or, B. buy my tickets only 3 weeks out from arrival? And, what are the chances that I will be able to select FP's for our "must-do" attractions (i.e. any of the mountains, Soarin', Test Track, TSMM, ToT) the 'day-of'?

You won't have access to making FP+ reservations for people until there are park tickets associated with those profiles. So for those buying tickets from a reseller would get access once they're linked to the profiles. Those waiting to buy tickets until they arrive won't get access until they buy them and link them to their profile.

For those upgrading existing tickets to APs, you *should* be able to link the existing tickets to your profile and at least get that many days' worth of FP+ reservations. The tickets can then be upgraded after you're there to unlock additional days of FP+.

As for whether same-day FP+ reservations will be available for the attractions you want, no one knows. In another thread I just posted that I was able to go in and make FP+ for later today for Tower, RnRC and TSMM. But when lots more people are on the FP+ system (and if the paper FP system has been removed) the chances may diminish.

-Rob

journ116

Original Poster
You won't have access to making FP+ reservations for people until there are park tickets associated with those profiles. So for those buying tickets from a reseller would get access once they're linked to the profiles. Those waiting to buy tickets until they arrive won't get access until they buy them and link them to their profile.

For those upgrading existing tickets to APs, you *should* be able to link the existing tickets to your profile and at least get that many days' worth of FP+ reservations. The tickets can then be upgraded after you're there to unlock additional days of FP+.

As for whether same-day FP+ reservations will be available for the attractions you want, no one knows. In another thread I just posted that I was able to go in and make FP+ for later today for Tower, RnRC and TSMM. But when lots more people are on the FP+ system (and if the paper FP system has been removed) the chances may diminish.

-Rob

So, this system kind of stinks for people wanting to wait until arrival to buy tickets? My DH and I wanted to wait until we got there so we could physically exchange our gifted 5-day PH tickets toward 4 AP's for our family...this would not be wise? When I tried to renew our current AP's using said gift PH's, the CM told me it would be easier to do at ticket kiosk in WDW rather than over the phone. She also advised me that if we weren't planning on visiting WDW again before Oct. 2014, don't renew, just buy new ones.

ARGH! Why is this so complicated?

I guess I'll be adding to my credit card bill by purchasing everyone's tickets now for piece of mind (downside, I won't receive the 6 mos. 0% grace period because I'm purchasing from UnderCoverTourist).

Rob562

Admittedly the new system does "reward" people for buying their tickets ahead of time, which I'm sure is partly a financial move for Disney since they get the money earlier. It's kind of like years ago when you got a discount on the tickets when you bought them before your trip.

I do not believe there is any way to upgrade physical tickets before you arrive.

-Rob

journ116

Original Poster
Admittedly the new system does "reward" people for buying their tickets ahead of time, which I'm sure is partly a financial move for Disney since they get the money earlier. It's kind of like years ago when you got a discount on the tickets when you bought them before your trip.

I do not believe there is any way to upgrade physical tickets before you arrive.

-Rob
Just to get this crystal clear: I must link my park tickets (no matter where I purchased them) to my MDE account prior to my arrival date, preferable before my 60-day window opening in order to <gulp> 'schedule a FP+?' I cannot rely on my resort reservation alone in order to participate in FP+? This will mark off another question as answered! Thank you!

Rob562

Just to get this crystal clear: I must link my park tickets (no matter where I purchased them) to my MDE account prior to my arrival date, preferable before my 60-day window opening in order to <gulp> 'schedule a FP+?' I cannot rely on my resort reservation alone in order to participate in FP+? This will mark off another question as answered! Thank you!

Correct. It's how the system knows a) that you actually intend to enter a park(s), and b) how many days' worth of FP+ reservations it should allow you (based on how many days you have on your ticket).

It'd be kinda counter-productive to give hotel guests who are staying for 8 days but only plan to go into the parks for 4 of them 8 days' worth of FP+ reservations.

-Rob

journ116

Original Poster
1. No. However, it's a perk limited to Disney resort guests.

2.Kind of...if I don't mind waiting until the "day-of" and seeing what's available. After receiving said tickets, I could immediately link them to MDE, thus being able to participate in FP+ via MDE instead of via the ATM-like kiosk inside the park.

3.Look at #2.

4. Jury is still out.

5. Won't know until we go.

6.Figured that one out on my own.

Here's what I also know:

-In order to participate in FP+: must be a guest (name on reservation) at a Disney resort, & have tickets and said resort ressie linked to MDE. Preferable, the latter part should be completed before the 60-day window.

-If I am buying a 5-day pass, I am allowed to schedule FP+ for 5 days of my choosing within my resort reservation time frame.

-Any new tickets bought, including off-site vendors, should be RFID-encrypted tickets (which are required to enter a park).

-I am limited to schedule up to 3 attractions (incl. rides and M&G's), per day and only at one park per day.

Now, here's a new list of questions:
1. What about AP holders: what are the maximum # of days they can schedule FP+? Am I limited to the # of days of my reservation?

2. What about split reservations? For our very first night, we are staying at VWL, followed by 7 nights at VGF. We don't plan on going to a park on our arrival day (we get in at 11:40 p.m.).

3. Can AP holders order MB's?

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Rob562

-In order to participate in FP+: must be a guest (name on reservation) at a Disney resort, & have tickets and said resort ressie linked to MDE. Preferable, the latter part should be completed before the 60-day window.

A slight clarification: Your statement is currently 100% true during the current testing phase of FP+, but after FP+ goes to full roll-out, any Guest with a ticket linked to their MDE profile *should* have access to the FP+ system with the same limitation on total number of days of FP+ reservations equaling the number of days on the ticket.

Now, here's a new list of questions:
1. What about AP holders: what are the maximum # of days they can schedule FP+? Am I limited to the # of days of my reservation?

2. What about split reservations? For our very first night, we are staying at VWL, followed by 7 nights at VGF. We don't plan on going to a park on our arrival day (we get in at 11:40 p.m.).

3. Can AP holders order MB's?

Thanks again for all the help!!!

1 - Currently, AP holders staying at a Disney resort can make as many days of FP+ reservations as their reservation is for. After they check out, their Bands are still active but they're limited to 7 total days of FP+ reservations. To make FP+ reservations on an 8th day they either have to give up or use a previously-arranged day of FP+ (In my opinion this window should be expanded to 10 days to equal the maximum number of days on a MYW ticket)

2 - Theoretically, you'll get Bands for *each* of your on-site reservations. They'll both be linked to you on your profile and they *should* work interchangeably for all aspects of park admission and FP+.
If you're the type who likes to color-coordinate with your clothing, this would be a good time to order two different color Bands so you can choose which one to wear each day. The one aspect of having two Bands that I'm not 100% sure on is that there might be an issue with which Bands can open your hotel room door. It's worth investigating and trying out different combinations.

3 - During testing AP holders will only get a Band by staying on-site (though as previously mentioned the Band still works after they check out). At some point AP holders will get a Band for free without having to stay on-site, though no one knows exactly when this will happen.

-Rob

journ116

Original Poster
A slight clarification: Your statement is currently 100% true during the current testing phase of FP+, but after FP+ goes to full roll-out, any Guest with a ticket linked to their MDE profile *should* have access to the FP+ system with the same limitation on total number of days of FP+ reservations equaling the number of days on the ticket.

1 - Currently, AP holders staying at a Disney resort can make as many days of FP+ reservations as their reservation is for. After they check out, their Bands are still active but they're limited to 7 total days of FP+ reservations. To make FP+ reservations on an 8th day they either have to give up or use a previously-arranged day of FP+ (In my opinion this window should be expanded to 10 days to equal the maximum number of days on a MYW ticket)

2 - Theoretically, you'll get Bands for *each* of your on-site reservations. They'll both be linked to you on your profile and they *should* work interchangeably for all aspects of park admission and FP+.
If you're the type who likes to color-coordinate with your clothing, this would be a good time to order two different color Bands so you can choose which one to wear each day. The one aspect of having two Bands that I'm not 100% sure on is that there might be an issue with which Bands can open your hotel room door. It's worth investigating and trying out different combinations.

3 - During testing AP holders will only get a Band by staying on-site (though as previously mentioned the Band still works after they check out). At some point AP holders will get a Band for free without having to stay on-site, though no one knows exactly when this will happen.

-Rob
Once again, thank you so much for all your help!

Does this plan sound right:
-order park tickets and/or AP's
-once tickets arrive, link them (including AP voucher) to our MDE account to each respective traveler
-order our MB's
-at 60-day mark or whenever our window opens, schedule our FP+'s for all members of our party linked to my MDE account (my reservations, dining and resort, have been linked for quite some time now)

dreamfinder

Once again, thank you so much for all your help!

Does this plan sound right:
-order park tickets and/or AP's
-once tickets arrive, link them (including AP voucher) to our MDE account to each respective traveler
-order our MB's
-at 60-day mark or whenever our window opens, schedule our FP+'s for all members of our party linked to my MDE account (my reservations, dining and resort, have been linked for quite some time now)

Kinda. Link the existing tickets you have NOW. There is no reason not to. If they came from a 3rd party reseller, you would want to use them to enter the parks once, and then have guest relations "bridge" them to get their current gate value. Otherwise you would only be credited what the reseller paid for the tix, not what you paid. The only downside is that you are limited to the 5 days of FP+ reservations. But seeing as how the tickets could be worth $30 more if you have them bridged (or possibly even higher depending on how old they are), you need to decide if that extra value is worth a few more days of FP+.
As soon as you get any new tickets, yes go ahead and link them. And then order MB's, book your FP+s, etc.

Once you do link your existing tickets (RFID or non) you don't need to use them to enter the parks. Your Magic Band/KTTW will function as your ticket. I'd bring the tickets with you just in case something goes wrong, but there should be no need.

journ116

Original Poster
Kinda. Link the existing tickets you have NOW. There is no reason not to. If they came from a 3rd party reseller, you would want to use them to enter the parks once, and then have guest relations "bridge" them to get their current gate value. Otherwise you would only be credited what the reseller paid for the tix, not what you paid. The only downside is that you are limited to the 5 days of FP+ reservations. But seeing as how the tickets could be worth $30 more if you have them bridged (or possibly even higher depending on how old they are), you need to decide if that extra value is worth a few more days of FP+.
As soon as you get any new tickets, yes go ahead and link them. And then order MB's, book your FP+s, etc.

Once you do link your existing tickets (RFID or non) you don't need to use them to enter the parks. Your Magic Band/KTTW will function as your ticket. I'd bring the tickets with you just in case something goes wrong, but there should be no need.
The only tickets I currently have in my possession are 4 a., 5-day PH, which were gifted to us from Disney for adding more DVC points to our membership. I was planning on using those to put toward my family's AP's. Instead of an almost $2000 bill for AP's, those 4 PH's will bring it down to a little less than $500.

I do see what you're saying: link those PH's to my MDE account now, then once we arrive, buy our AP's (yes, we'll be limited to only 5-days worth of FP+ until then). However, how will those 4 PH's be upgraded if they're already linked to my account? I'd rather not eat up precious park time trying to wrangle with Disney's notoriously "unglitchable" system. Your suggestion though is a good one, giving me more to ponder and discuss with my DH.

Thank you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom