Confused...again.

BelleWannaBe77

Original Poster
Hey guys. My electricity just came back on after it went out Wednesday night, so I have sooo much to catch up on!! I was wondering how the whole interning after college works. Can I apply to go the semester after I graduate?? I want to go so bad, but the study abroad school I have my heart set on is a full year if I want to have housing (which is kind of important). Thanks!!

:kiss: Maddie:kiss:

Scar Junior

Yep! You can do the CP the semester after you graduate. What country do you want to travel to? Just so you know, the CP is a great place to study a broad or two.... :animwink:

egionet

When you apply you have to be a student in college. I went my last semester and technically graduated while I was a CP, although I was done with classes before. If you are not going to be the country during your last semester, you could always watch the e-presentation on the CP website. Of course, you'll have to do a phone interview.

BelleWannaBe77

Original Poster
Would you recommend going before I graduate? My apartment contract is such a pain, I would have to take a year off; I was going to do Disney CP one semester and study abroad the other, but it won't work like that. Unless I did Disney for two semesters? Can't I only do the Advantage program? Wait, isn't that Fall and Spring?

Well I really want to go to England my Junior year! The school is Kingston University in Kingston upon Thames...it looks amazing! Btw ScarJunior, you're fabulous :kiss:

egionet

I would definitely recommend going before you graduate. I wish I had, but it didn't work out that way for me. As much as I enjoyed my CP, I think I would have liked it much better had it been earlier in my college career. A lot of times I felt like I was too old for the CP. I was down with dealing with petty drama and roommate situations. You might be just fine going after you graduate; it was just a personal thing for me. But don't get me wrong, I really loved my time there.

As for going for 2 semesters, you can only apply for 1 (either the advantage program or not), but if you like it, you have the option of extending. So, yes, you can stay for a whole year if you want.

MBrantleyIUP

I'm doing my CP this fall and i just graduated last spring. If you are over 21 during your CP you will only live with people who are over 21 so really they won't be far away from your age. I chose to do it this way because i never wanted to take a semester off from school

BelleWannaBe77

Original Poster
How old do you have to be for the professional internships? Is there a recommended/required time you have to work with Disney before?

MBrantleyIUP

BelleWannaBe77 said:
How old do you have to be for the professional internships? Is there a recommended/required time you have to work with Disney before?

From the experience i've had with applying for them, you have to be either a current student, or have graduated only within the past year. Most of them look if you are an alumni of the CP. No age restrictions though

egionet

BelleWannaBe77 said:

Many of them require that you have junior or senior status. Some require certain majors or prefered backgrounds. And yes it is certainly recommended that you do a regular CP before going into a professional internship and many require that you're an alumni. Go to disneycareers.com and search internship, you'll see what they offer and what the requirements are.

Also regardless of if you're 21 or over, as MBrantleyIUP said, you'll still be working with kids who are 18 and may have only completed one semester in college. True your apartment will be 21 and over, but many of the people around you won't. I didn't think the age situation was going to bother me, but when I got down there I realized I didn't want to deal with the college drama that was constantly around me (such as roommates not taking out trash, someone hating someone else because they both liked the same person, etc.). Like I said before, I personally don't like that, maybe you won't have a problem with it.

Scar Junior

egionet said:
Also regardless of if you're 21 or over, as MBrantleyIUP said, you'll still be working with kids who are 18 and may have only completed one semester in college. True your apartment will be 21 and over, but many of the people around you won't. I didn't think the age situation was going to bother me, but when I got down there I realized I didn't want to deal with the college drama that was constantly around me (such as roommates not taking out trash, someone hating someone else because they both liked the same person, etc.). Like I said before, I personally don't like that, maybe you won't have a problem with it.

I understand what you're getting at, but dramatic people are everywhere and at all ages. This past school year I lived with 21 and 22 year old girls. Needless to say, it won't happen again. I saw far less drama on the CP when most people were 19 than around college with 21 and 22 year olds.

egionet

Scar Junior said:
I understand what you're getting at, but dramatic people are everywhere and at all ages. This past school year I lived with 21 and 22 year old girls. Needless to say, it won't happen again. I saw far less drama on the CP when most people were 19 than around college with 21 and 22 year olds.

You are absolutely right that there is drama everywhere. But I will never live with people I don't know again, and this is definitely because of some of my CP roommates. What I'm saying is that had I been in college, and not graduated, I probably would have just accepted it because part of college is getting bad roommates and dealing with college age drama. But since I had been graduated, I was constantly thinking, "I've graduated college. I don't have to deal with this. I'm too old for this." And I know I'm not the only one who felt this way. Because I was older, most of my friends were also older, many who had graduated. Most of them felt the same way.

Am I saying not to do the program? Absolutely not. Heck, I'm a campus rep, and I'm in grad school because I think the program is great. I'm just suggesting not waiting until after you graduate. I, honestly, think it's better to do it while you're still an underclassman.

Scar Junior

egionet said:
You are absolutely right that there is drama everywhere. But I will never live with people I don't know again, and this is definitely because of some of my CP roommates. What I'm saying is that had I been in college, and not graduated, I probably would have just accepted it because part of college is getting bad roommates and dealing with college age drama. But since I had been graduated, I was constantly thinking, "I've graduated college. I don't have to deal with this. I'm too old for this." And I know I'm not the only one who felt this way. Because I was older, most of my friends were also older, many who had graduated. Most of them felt the same way.

Am I saying not to do the program? Absolutely not. Heck, I'm a campus rep, and I'm in grad school because I think the program is great. I'm just suggesting not waiting until after you graduate. I, honestly, think it's better to do it while you're still an underclassman.

I totally agree with you. I have 1 semester left and it been years since I did the CP. We had drama... resulting in a fist-fight in my room. I had to clean blood off the walls and furniture and throw out some laundry that got blood on it. While I will occasionally wonder if I am going to be "too old" at age 22, I realize that I will be living with people 21 and over. So that lessens the fears.

By all means folks, do the CP. It is a once/lifetime opportunity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom