Confused about Disney's latest movies

Kwit35

Originally posted by CaptJackSparrow
This is the same woman who grabbed her crotch, sang out of key on purpose, and showed utter disrespect for our nation when she was invited to sign the national anthem at a ball game a few years back.

I like the UTTER reference. He he he:lol:

Anyway, I agree. I don't like Disney associating with people like Miss Barr. But, if you think about it, Miss Tilley is just a bad, and she has been in a few Disney pictures (Monster's Inc., Haunted Mansion, now Home...).

Rossane does remind me of a cow, so if the shoe fits...

The movie was okay. My three year old loved it. I was not thrilled with it, but I did enjoy the music. You have to admit, that was some good yodeling.

Cuba did a great job as Buck. But all in all, it was a 2 out of 4 stars movie for me.

(excuse my grammer/spelling...tired)

Woody13

The point to this thread is not just to bash "Home on the Range" which I still feel is one of the worst films to come out of Feature Animation ever (if not the worst...and I'd like for one person to tell me one that is worse if they can possibly think of one...

How about The Black Cauldron? Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about Rosanne. Disney has a very long history of using actors that are perverts, child molesters and others with very low moral turpitude.

Heck, they had Tina Turner do a song in Brother Bear and she's rough!:eek:

DisneyDefenders

Original Poster
Legacy...I wasn't "talking down" to ISTC...on the contrary...I asked him what his viewpoint was since maybe he saw something in the movie that I didn't and I even said that I appreciated his opinion! Don't know how you can read something negative into that...but oh well.

Interesting opinions from the rest of you. Glad some of you did like it (more or less from the comments), but I just think it's sad how disappointing the movie is. :( BTW...I loved "Emperor's New Groove," but this is NO WHERE nearly as good or as funny as that. Oh, and if you haven't seen HOTR yet...you'll see that even "The Black Cauldron" was MUCH better!

mhead

[... This movie was from the exact same people who animated Lilo and Stitch, Brother Bear, and Mulan, so it's not like they can't draw.

wrong. those were all done in Orlando - HOTR was completely done in California.

LoriMistress

OK...just got home about an hour ago from seeing "Home on the Range." Sorry if any of you saw it and liked it, but I have to say that it is BY FAR one of their worst (if not THE worst)!

I was already skeptical walking in, knowing that Rosanne Barr provided a voice for one of the characters. Why in the world would Disney associate themselves with such a dirty woman!?! This is the same woman who grabbed her crotch, sang out of key on purpose, and showed utter disrespect for our nation when she was invited to sign the national anthem at a ball game a few years back. :fork: This both boggles me and is disheartening at the same time.

I am also quite puzzled as to why (even though not seeing it, I guess it was because the movie is so terrible that they didn't want their summer season to fall on this movie) Disney decided to release "Home on the Range" at the beginning of April!?! Have they EVER released an animated feature in April before? It just seemed REEEALLY weird to me, being released only about 5 months after "Brother Bear" and their next 'animated' movie "The Incredibles" not being released until the Fall! So what in the world are they hoping to have this summer to tent pole the season...80 Days? Princess II? :veryconfu

Oh dear god, not this same old song and dance. Rosanne did that almost ten years ago!!!! Get over it, seriously. That was a long time ago. She isn't even like that anymore.

Maybe they felt like opening the movie in April because there are not many adimated movies that are coming out in April and they felt like it would a be a good chance for them to make money instead of being in competion with other movies in June.

no2apprentice

We saw the movie this morning (wife, 15 yr son, 12 yr son, and yours truly) and we all enjoyed it. Thought it was funny, witty, and I thought the character design heraled back to the days of Sleeping Beauty and Sword in the Stone. Breathtaking backgrounds of the desert scenes, reminded me so much of northern Arizona.

And for those who do not understand flash floods, the danger does not come from the rain that is falling at where you are, but what has already fallen miles from where you are, as the runoff builds and builds.

While the animation was not as detailed with shadowing and highlighting of characters as some other films, how serious should they have been considering the whole talking animal thing? I really think they were going for an animated film that was just fun. Considering the story and concept, I think it all worked.

And "Will the Sun Ever Shine Again" by Bonnie Raitt was just beautiful.

And this thread may have been more appropriate in "Animation, Motion Pictures, TV, Video, and DVD.":animwink:

Oh, and right up there with Black Cauldron is Robin Hood.

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by mhead
[... This movie was from the exact same people who animated Lilo and Stitch, Brother Bear, and Mulan, so it's not like they can't draw.

wrong. those were all done in Orlando - HOTR was completely done in California.

I'm almost positive that HOTR was the last animated feature to be animated in the Florida Studio. After the studio was closed, it was sent to California for editing and cleaning up. The animation, though, was completed and done, in Florida.

Anyone know more?

While this may be the so-called "last 2-D animated feature" from the Walt Disney Company now, I seriously doubt that they will never create another 2-D movie in the future.

The wonderful thing about hand animation is the fact that it is so variable. Compare Home on the Range to Brother Bear to The Lion King to Lilo and Stitch to 101 Dalmatians. Each have their own unique flavor and look.

Now, compare each of the computer animated movies and they all have the same look and feel.

I have a strong feeling that Disney will embrace CGI for the time being but, in the end, they will return to 2-D.

mhead

Originally posted by ISTCrew20
I'm almost positive that HOTR was the last animated feature to be animated in the Florida Studio. After the studio was closed, it was sent to California for editing and cleaning up. The animation, though, was completed and done, in Florida.

Anyone know more?

Well the last three times I was at MGM on the tour they showed actual production of Brother Bear and pointed out that it was one of three movies to be done there as well as pointing out other movies in production at the same time in California - which was Home on the Range.

alice

ditto

Originally posted by mhead
Well the last three times I was at MGM on the tour they showed actual production of Brother Bear and pointed out that it was one of three movies to be done there as well as pointing out other movies in production at the same time in California - which was Home on the Range.

That what they told us too, at MGM in December, when the animators were on "hiatus" until January 12th (I think) when they would find out if they had jobs to return to after the holidays (and we all know the rest of that story). It made us kind of bitter towards HOTR, which we haven't seen yet, and hadn't planned on seeing, but after much consideration, we are going to see it this Friday, to support 2d, but we just aren't getting our hopes up. Honestly, I hope I like it. :veryconfu

Scooter

As far as Roseanne Barr being chosen for this movie voice part, I think it was a good choice.

She has a very distinct voice, it is strong, and also recognizable.

This is exactly why they chose Ellen Degenerous for Finding Nemo.

Both women have had "Controversial " Pasts.

I can't make comments on the movie itself because I havn't seen it yet...

...but if the cow in this movie is whiney, overbearing, rude and obnoxious, I can't think of a better voice over person than Rosanne.:lol:

Disney Hog

I have not seen the movie yet either, so I can't comment on the sexual innuendos. If the ones that were posted were the only ones, I'd be OK with that.

We rented Cat in the Hat this weekend for the kids and were thouroughly embarrassed. The sexual content and cuss words that were implied were totally unnecessary. Especially when the car's name spelled out the acronym S.L.O.W., but it used to be S.H.*.*. (crap)

I'm glad that Disney hasn't sunk this low, yet.

I think Roseanne fits the image and the character of the cow. I don't think my children would really make the connection.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Vanessa Williams and her single release from Pocahantas. Talk about controversy.

I think the main thing to look at is the fact that the kids don't know the detailed past of these people. They did bad things and they have changed. They get another chance.

Buckeye

Direct quote from a boy (about 10) overheard in the restroom after a showing of "Home on the Range":

"That was the best movie I've ever seen"

Also, my 6 year old son loved it. We must remember who Disney's target audience is.:)

Ra.G.e

I'm afraid my family and I liked it too. I realize that this began as the Anti-"Home on the Range" thread but it was pretty entertaining. Not a Disney "A" picture but entertaining nevertheless.

I'm not personally the biggest Roseanne fan in the world (far from it) but she fit the character of Maggie and worked out just fine. Heck, when Robbie Benson was announced for the voice of the Beast way back when, EVERYONE was collectively stunned; how could such a milquetoast actor pull off the powerful Beast character? He did and brilliantly so.

I thought the music for HotR was excellent (Alan Menken!) and Alameda Slim's Yodeling song had me in tears. I'm just happy I could put away my initial Roseanne dislike and go into the theater with an open mind. Doing that, I was entertained.

As for the condescending tone of this thread mentioned by another poster: It's there. People will have differing opinions on anything. No one is 100% right or wrong. In this case, it's good to keep discussion flowing with tact and courtesy, not snarky attitudes.

But hey -- that's just MY opinion.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have not seen HOTR, and probably won't. The previews I've seen and the storyline just don't interest me at all. I don't like the animation style, it looks like something I'd see on the Disney Channel in the afternoon (read: TV quality).

My view of the movie is rather conflicted. On one hand, I want the movie to do well. This could show upper management that 2D still sells (and it does, when backed up by a good storyline). But given what I see as a lack of quality animation, this would also encourage more of the same movies, quality-wise.

On the other hand, I want it to tank ($14million opening weekend is not a good start). This could show upper management that what they are doing is wrong. This would also reinforce their view that 2D is dead.

Terrible place to be in, opinion-wise. :brick:

JBSLJames

We decided to go to the movies yesterday and I gave my kids the choice (ages 5 and 8). They Picked Dawn of the Dead, but I was not in the mood for humor/horror. So I gave them a choice, Home on the Range or Scooby Doo II (my oldest really wanted to see Cody Banks but the times wouldn't work out). They picked Scooby Doo although my 5 year old was pulling for HOTR. We ended up seeing the "DOO". Pretty funny, I thought, kids loved it. We will see HOTR next and wait for Cody to hit the Video Store. The previews looked pretty good for "80 Days".

Jiko

Originally posted by Disney Hog

I think the main thing to look at is the fact that the kids don't know the detailed past of these people. They did bad things and they have changed. They get another chance.

Thank you for posting this. It's a wonder to me why most of us don't retain this idealogy into adulthood. I suppose "you've got to be carefully taught" is a more dangerous dogma than I originally thought.

josh_e_washie

I don't know much about animated features, but I feel from my own pbervations that Disney might be entering a new realm with what the public considers to be 'quality'. Finding Nemo is a great example. I don't think that the return to the Disney decade smash hit after smash hit will be back for a while. Remember when we bought the VHS for Aladdin and the preview for the next Disney animated feature was on there...and everyone got REALLY excited?! I don't see that anymore. In fact, I don't really even know what they are making next. However I do remember the constant stream of masterpieces such as Beauty and the Beast, Pocahontas, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, Hunchback of Notre Dame, etc. I just don't know if that type of quality will be around in that form for a while. Finding Nemo was just as good quality, though, if you ask me!:sohappy:

flexer

I absolutely loved this movie.. how can you not? It was soo funny and they had the best lines. It's great to see animals acting like people too. I always found that funny.

I liked the fact Roseanne did the voiceover. It fit the characters part and she did a wonderful job of it. There were so many funny scenes in the movie, that I can't even pick one out to talk about!

njchris65

Originally posted by Woody13
How about The Black Cauldron?
HEY I LIKED THAT ONE!!!

Also, I wouldn't be too concerned about Rosanne. Disney has a very long history of using actors that are perverts, child molesters and others with very low moral turpitude.

Who are these folks?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom