Confirmed on-ride photos at SM

Skyway

Original Poster
Sorry to start yet another SM thread.

Here is the description of SM on the new Disney World mobile site:

Launch past the flashing lights of your space station into the soaring darkness of space! This classic Dark Ride dips and swerves as it rockets through the blackest reaches of the galaxy. Check the monitors as you exit for a glimpse of yourself in flight!

EPCOTPluto

I'm almost wondering if they are referring to the old cameras in the exit that use to show yourself in the monitors with a space background.
That's true. It would be a good way to re-utilize the screens.

Where would the camera be in the ride, though? :lookaroun

Exprcoofto

That's true. It would be a good way to re-utilize the screens.

Where would the camera be in the ride, though? :lookaroun

What I meant is, that this is not a new description. It's just the same old description thats been on DisneyWorld.com for quite some time now. (please do correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds like the old version)

EPCOTPluto

What I meant is, that this is not a new description. It's just the same old description that's been on DisneyWorld.com for quite some time now. (please do correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds like the old version)
Oh, I see what you mean.

Of course, this could perhaps literally mean that you are in flight, rather than having a spacey backdrop. :D

Skyway

Original Poster
I have never seen that description before, and am 99% certain it is new. (A few months ago people on these boards zeroed in on the WDW website description of SM, and it mentioned a "soundtrack", which was later removed. We would have noticed this back then)

The camera is almost certainly located in a new re-entry tunnel with strobe lights, just like the new DL version.

TP2000

And Dark Ride? Nice incorrect terminology usage, Disney!:lookaroun:lol:

Thank you for catching that, I thought I was the only one!

You wonder who writes and edits the text for this stuff? I'm thinking it's just some worker bee in an anonymous cubicle somewhere. But what is scary is that the leadership there in Orlando doesn't have the cultural background to instinctively realize the mistake and get it corrected. Tsk tsk. :(

EPCOT Explorer

You wonder who writes and edits the text for this stuff? I'm thinking it's just some worker bee in an anonymous cubicle somewhere. But what is scary is that the leadership there in Orlando doesn't have the cultural background to instinctively realize the mistake and get it corrected. Tsk tsk. :(
I would do it better, and for free.:lookaroun:lol:

blm07

It will have the on ride photo, and I'm sure it uses the same Kodak software used in all the other attractions.

EpcotServo

Your Both Wrong: Space Mountain is a Dark Ride.

A Dark Ride is a Family-Oriented ride that combines show sets, lighting, and physical experience completely inside a showbuilding. It's a Dark Ride. Also a Thrill Ride. You don't have to fit inside only one genre, you can add them up. For example a Dark Ride that is also a Thrill Ride, such as Indy, or Space Mountain. It's a pick and choose kind of deal, and Dark Ride is certainly under Space Mountain's roster. Also it is a very "dark" ride, I think that's what they meant.

EPCOT Explorer

Your Both Wrong: Space Mountain is a Dark Ride.

A Dark Ride is a Family-Oriented ride that combines show sets, lighting, and physical experience completely inside a showbuilding. It's a Dark Ride. Also a Thrill Ride. You don't have to fit inside only one genre, you can add them up. For example a Dark Ride that is also a Thrill Ride, such as Indy, or Space Mountain. It's a pick and choose kind of deal, and Dark Ride is certainly under Space Mountain's roster. Also it is a very "dark" ride, I think that's what they meant.

Still....The connotation of Dark Ride is Fantasyland. I see the connection, but only because it uses colloquial terms. Use our terminology, you have a different story.

Matpez

Way off original topic, but I would also consider Revenge of the Mummy to be a dark ride.

Back on track, I would like Space to have on ride photos, that would be a nice, small upgrade.

mcjaco

I have never seen that description before, and am 99% certain it is new. (A few months ago people on these boards zeroed in on the WDW website description of SM, and it mentioned a "soundtrack", which was later removed. We would have noticed this back then)

I will say this again. Leadership in Orlando has nothing to do with the website. It's a third party. It's often wrong. Do not use it as a reference for changes, rumors, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom