Concerned about Fantasmic

TsWade2

Original Poster
Okay, I am so concerned about Fantasmic at Disney's MGM Studios. You see, I'm going to Disney World in two weeks and I'm very excited. I also can't wait to see the different version Fantasmic, but I am very concerned about that show, because I've been hearing news about Fantasmic. For example: weather, cancellation, and performers screwing up. I also heard that a person who played Mickey Mouse broke his leg. I even found a thread that it got cancelled last month. I was going to visit MGM Studios two times just in case and I was going to video cam it. So in conclusion, my question is, does Fantasmic get cancelled a lot because of the technical difficulties? Thanks.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It probably gets cancelled more due to weather concerns than technical reasons.

As with any live performance, you will occasionally have performers miss cues, etc.(it even happens on Broadway,) but it generally is not a large enough concern to cancel a show.

kcnole

The only time aside from weather that I've heard of it being cancelled was last month when part of the stage fell off and they had to shut it down for the night to fix it but it was back up the next day.

There's been one night that I've heard of that had a bad show. Consider how many nights that show runs and how often you hear of a bad show and you realize they've got a pretty good record.

I saw it in January. It was a good show but probably the worst out of all the parks. Illuminations and Wishes were much better, but it was still very enjoyable.

Mecha Figment

I would like to make a correction on that.

A piece never fell. But a very large portion of the stage has a very large crack in it. and if it fell of it would hit the main gass line. It's been temprorly fixed, but it will take months to fix when they do fantasmic will shut down.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Mecha Figment said:
I would like to make a correction on that.

A piece never fell. But a very large portion of the stage has a very large crack in it. and if it fell of it would hit the main gass line. It's been temprorly fixed, but it will take months to fix when they do fantasmic will shut down.
OK, thanks for that info, I wondered what the big deal was about a rock falling into the water.:hammer:

Any clue when the repair will take place?

AEfx

It depends on the season the frequency of closures. Yes, Fantasmic is closed for weather issues sometimes - imagine a full ampetheater of 8-9K people being told "sorry, we're cancelling the show". Happened to us last October.

However, they do now at least release the pyro and such in an abbreviated show when it is cancelled. I.E. no characters and such, they just set off the explosives they already had loaded.

I'd try to go as early in your trip as possible, so if it is cancelled you will still have other oppprtunities to see it.

Good luck!

AEfx

Disney-holic

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with kcnole. IMHO Fantasmic is the best of the night time shows. Even my teenage grandson said it was awesome, & you know how cynical teenage boys can be. I've seen it many, many times & have never been there when it was cancelled.

CAPTAIN HOOK

unkadug said:
OK, thanks for that info, I wondered what the big deal was about a rock falling into the water.:hammer:

Any clue when the repair will take place?
As long as its not in August :)

I would guess that if its going to take time to repair it will be done during the off season - not during the peak summer period

iheartdisney91

um... last time i went the show was cancelled due to weather,(i saw it the following night) but mostly the show is always playing! dont miss it!
-THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!
dont worry about it to much

Iakona

The show is awesome and as others have said cancellation is not the norm. Personally, I like MGM's show better than Disneyland. For me having a dedicated theater so you can see everything made a huge difference in the show experience.

Yukinon

Even before they cancel it, sometimes they will just delay it. That happened to us last summer - it was an overcast evening, at the time it should start they said they were on delay for the weather. Everyone boo'd and whatnot, but just then the heavens opened up and it we felt like it was a Noah's Ark moment... everyone just dug out ponchos and sat in the rain... then the rain lifted, they delayed the show again... eventually it went off about 45 min after it was supposed to, but it was worth it! A lot of people left the theater once the rain started, but if you hang around and they can tell the weather has lifted, the show will indeed go on :cool:

DisneyFreak1228

AEfx said:
It depends on the season the frequency of closures. Yes, Fantasmic is closed for weather issues sometimes - imagine a full ampetheater of 8-9K people being told "sorry, we're cancelling the show". Happened to us last October.

However, they do now at least release the pyro and such in an abbreviated show when it is cancelled. I.E. no characters and such, they just set off the explosives they already had loaded.

I'd try to go as early in your trip as possible, so if it is cancelled you will still have other oppprtunities to see it.

Good luck!

AEfx
I remember that. That was NOT fun. The courtyard was completely full of guests, asking each and every one of us if we were cancelling or not. Thankfully, that was during my last week before I went to Tower. :lol:

F! is cancelled more due to weather concerns rather than tech problems. In the year that I spent there, F! was cancelled only once due to a tech problem. (It was a 2 show night, and right after the first show, while we were cleaning, lightning struck the catwalk over in House 1, and it ended up blowing out the system on the mountain so we had to cancel...we had the queue all the way up to the photocell, and one of the coordinators did a cancellation spiel.)
And keep in mind, if it's drizzling out, YES we'll still have the show. We only cancel for the following 3 weather concerns: High winds, heavy rains and lightning.

Chape19714

Fantasmic is a great show, and you have a very good chance of seeing it. I've seen it several times now, and it has never been cancled for me. Keep in mind the people who tell you about minor mishaps are the ones who know the show very well, Minor mishaps are barely noticable in 99% of the cases. I work with people in techinical theatre, and they were extremely impressed by both the show and the technology behind it, as am I. It completely blows my mind to think the show opened in 1992 (DL) and 1998 (WDW), years before anything of it's kind. It's still ahead of it's time, imho.

cameraguy

All this talk about Fantasmic is making want to see the show. I went to MGM last summer when I was there, but only got to see the first 20 minutes of the show because we were staying of site and had to run to catch our bus. Man, now feel like driving the 18 hours just to see the show. But I guess I'll have to wait until next summer when I go with my college friends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom