Compression Socks

Main Street USA

Original Poster
Anyone use them? Like them? Hate them? Prefer a brand that doesn't cost so damn much?

I've been reading about them lately after having some cramping and severe pain in my calves after a half-marathon, and then more recently after a 10 miler. I've been given advice by a couple of friends that compression socks can really help with this.

zjer

Look at the SLS3 line, good product at a nice price point.

Also, CEP makes medical grade compression which is probably a higher quality product but a little harder to find.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I've debated them as well, especially since I tighten up quite a bit after distances over 10 miles.

Considering I'll be doing the WDW 1/2 and still want to be in the parks that day, it might be a necessity for me also.

lukacseven

Anyone use them? Like them? Hate them? Prefer a brand that doesn't cost so damn much?

I've been reading about them lately after having some cramping and severe pain in my calves after a half-marathon, and then more recently after a 10 miler. I've been given advice by a couple of friends that compression socks can really help with this.

I recently bought a pair of CEP calf sleeves, because they were recommended to me to wear, not during but for post-race recovery. I ended up wearing them for a half marathon and felt great. Both during and after the race (I kept them on for about 3 hours after finishing) my calf muscles felt no fatigue or cramping of any sort. I did some research and found the CEP brand to have the best reviews. I've also read that some other brands, such as Zoot, were actually made by CEP.

lukacseven

Look at the SLS3 line, good product at a nice price point.

Also, CEP makes medical grade compression which is probably a higher quality product but a little harder to find.

Got the CEP sleeves at the Philly Marathon Expo. I've seen CEP booths at a few races recently.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I am in the market for some new tights. I have two options. I can afford 1 pair of compression tights on sale, or I can get 2 pair of tights for the same price that arent compression, just tights for warmth.

Has anyone run on compression tights and it is a world of difference where you would sacrifice 2 pairs of something for 1 pair of those?

It is 20 degrees this am. I really have to order these quick. :lol:

Main Street USA

Original Poster
I am in the market for some new tights. I have two options. I can afford 1 pair of compression tights on sale, or I can get 2 pair of tights for the same price that arent compression, just tights for warmth.

Has anyone run on compression tights and it is a world of difference where you would sacrifice 2 pairs of something for 1 pair of those?

It is 20 degrees this am. I really have to order these quick. :lol:
I've never run in compression tights, but I have a couple pair for warmth that use in below 40 temps. They're different brands and different material than each other, and both felt fine once I got going.

I finally bucked up and bought some socks. I got some CEPs for about half off of retail price and I'll be trying them next week sometime. We'll see if they make a difference.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I've never run in compression tights, but I have a couple pair for warmth that use in below 40 temps. They're different brands and different material than each other, and both felt fine once I got going.

I finally bucked up and bought some socks. I got some CEPs for about half off of retail price and I'll be trying them next week sometime. We'll see if they make a difference.
Ill be interested to see how they work out.

Let us know. :wave:

mikmika

Anyone use them? Like them? Hate them? Prefer a compression socks brand that doesn't cost so damn much?

Tried different compression socks and by far the Physix Gear is the best. My calf measures 21 inches. I ordered the XL according to the size chart, and it fits me perfectly. The compressions are indeed 20 to 30, they do not interrupt the loop, and the length stops perfectly at the back of my knees. The compression is so powerful, and they stay in place all the time and don't roll off like other objects. At the end of each shift, I can honestly say that I have no previous foot pain, and I do have more energy.

HouCuseChickie

I also have been noticing more calf issues as I get into longer distances. I have recently started using compression to deal with my tightening calves, but since I already have socks that I prefer for my feet, I've been using calf sleeves. I haven't tried CEP yet since this is all new to me, but I bought a pair of Rymora sleeves the other week and I've noticed a big difference. I know the ones I have been using are intended more for during your run, but I've worn them before and after and found they help with my recovery as well. No, these aren't the highest end things, but they are helping.

lukacseven

I not a hug fan of the calf sleeves for running, although I do wear them occasionally for consecutive-day races or races longer than 1/2 marathon. Sometimes, they're good for colder weather, just to keep your legs warm. I am a big fan of the compression socks for post-race recovery, especially sleeping. I've been researching over the years...

There have been a lot of scientific studies done on compression clothing and the consensus conclusions were that it is beneficial if worn correctly, however, for most people it is mainly an expensive fashion statement. People generally do not work out for a long enough duration or at a great enough intensity to be affected by the benefits of compression. That said, a lot of people on this forum have run 10+ mile races or training runs, so compression gear is something that can help you. When the socks first came on the market years ago, the actual socks were intended to be used for recovery - not worn during runs. The theory was that you did not want to constrict your foot from natural swelling while running, hence the calf sleeves, which are meant to be worn during running. Keep in mind - compression reduces muscle vibration, which is something you don't necessarily want to do during all training sessions or forms of working out because you want to muscles to react to that vibration, which is how you build up strength/tolerance. Then there's the intensity factor where your muscles typically don't work hard enough during a slower run or shorter duration (varies by individual) to be able to benefit from compression gear. The effectiveness of the compression only begins after the muscles reach a high level of fatigue and begin to exhaust.

But, at the end of the day if you feel better and/or run better that's all that matters!

lukacseven

I also have been noticing more calf issues as I get into longer distances. I have recently started using compression to deal with my tightening calves, but since I already have socks that I prefer for my feet, I've been using calf sleeves. I haven't tried CEP yet since this is all new to me, but I bought a pair of Rymora sleeves the other week and I've noticed a big difference. I know the ones I have been using are intended more for during your run, but I've worn them before and after and found they help with my recovery as well. No, these aren't the highest end things, but they are helping.
CEP are pricey, but they are medical grade quality & have sizing help on their actual website. If you check around online, you can sometimes get discontinued styles or less popular colors on sale.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
CEP are pricey, but they are medical grade quality & have sizing help on their actual website. If you check around online, you can sometimes get discontinued styles or less popular colors on sale.

I wear compression sleeves if I run more than one race in a weekend or if I'm running a longer distance. Noticed the difference the first time I wore them...little to no leg muscle soreness. Also like CEP. Wish they had snazzy designs & colors like Pro Comprehension.

I also soak my legs in a tepid bath with Epsom salts. Or jump in the hot tub at my resort...in my running shorts & shirt. Another thing to prevent/relieve muscle soreness after a race. I've also got a body buffer (the human sander you see at the rD Expo) to work out those particularly problem areas.

Figment82

I wear my ProCompression marathon socks during every run, whether it’s 3 or 13 miles. I used to get terrible shin splints until I started using them. I totally understand the science behind what @lukacseven posted, and I’m sure it’s partly a placebo effect, but now I’ll never go without them. Even in July with 99% humidity! 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom