Complicated Annual Pass and FastPass+ question

arielrose

Original Poster
Hi to All,
Hopefully someone has the answer. My husband and I are annual pass holders. The passes expire on September 18. My husband and I are taking our niece to WDW September 30 through October 6. I really want to be able to book our fastpasses at the 60 day mark because of Pandora and Toy Story Land. I plan on just getting a park hopper for my niece via the website so she her fastpasses won't be an issue. I didn't want to renew our passes until we get down there because I know they start on the date of renewal as opposed to the first time we use them. I also know there is a 30 day grace period for renewing them. Does anyone know if we will still be able to make fastpasses during that grace period? Or do I have to renew them early so I can get my fasspasses booked? My only other thought was just purchasing regular tickets for all three of us and then upgrading my husband and I's tickets when we got there. I didn't know if that would work with renewing annual passes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
For the 60-day window to work, you need valid park tickets on your MDE account and a resort reservation. Since your APs will still be valid 60 days out from your trip, you should have no problem booking FPs at that time. I don't think renewing late but within the renewal window will be an issue.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Another thought: If your credit card billing period doesn't end during the 12-day period between your AP expiry and your arrival at WDW, you could renew online on the 18th and it'll show up on the same Credit Card statement as if you charged it when you arrive.

arielrose

Original Poster
For the 60-day window to work, you need valid park tickets on your MDE account and a resort reservation. Since your APs will still be valid 60 days out from your trip, you should have no problem booking FPs at that time. I don't think renewing late but within the renewal window will be an issue.
Thanks!

EdnaMode

We're annual pass holders and haven't renewed our passes yet - they expire June 24th. I'm not sure this answers your question but we have a trip that ends on June 24th and don't have any other future resort stays booked right now. I can only book FP's until June 25th -- we don't have any grace period on FP's.

nickys

Premium Member
You need to valid ticket media linked to allow you book FPs. Your APs won't be valid for your trip, so you won't be able to book FPs.

Your idea of just buying ordinary tickets and upgrading when you get there is the right one. Get tickets for as many days as you want to book FPs for, and link them. Then when you get there, go to DS and upgrade them.

I think the recommendation is that if you buy the tickets direct from Disney, you could upgrade them before you enter a park if it's more convenient. If you buy them from a 3rd party, you should enter a park first, then upgrade to lock in the value. Paging @Rob562 for a second opinion!

nickys

Premium Member

The tickets need to be valid for the duration of the time you want to book FPs for. Which isn't the case here. Unfortunately.

winstongator

Hi to All,
Hopefully someone has the answer. My husband and I are annual pass holders. The passes expire on September 18. My husband and I are taking our niece to WDW September 30 through October 6. I really want to be able to book our fastpasses at the 60 day mark because of Pandora and Toy Story Land. I plan on just getting a park hopper for my niece via the website so she her fastpasses won't be an issue. I didn't want to renew our passes until we get down there because I know they start on the date of renewal as opposed to the first time we use them. I also know there is a 30 day grace period for renewing them. Does anyone know if we will still be able to make fastpasses during that grace period? Or do I have to renew them early so I can get my fasspasses booked? My only other thought was just purchasing regular tickets for all three of us and then upgrading my husband and I's tickets when we got there. I didn't know if that would work with renewing annual passes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Wouldn't you want to renew the passes? I remember the renewal price being around 10/12ths the non-renewal price. I think when you renew, they back-date your pass to the expiration date. You can't get 3 months out of them. I'd say you're better off renewing towards the beginning of your window. Do you have a hotel reservation for 60 day fp+ booking?

Keep in mind that your renewed Annual Pass will expire one year from your Anniversary Date, regardless of when you actually renew.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/faq/passholders/renewal-time-period/

nickys

Premium Member
Wouldn't you want to renew the passes? I remember the renewal price being around 10/12ths the non-renewal price. I think when you renew, they back-date your pass to the expiration date. You can't get 3 months out of them. I'd say you're better off renewing towards the beginning of your window. Do you have a hotel reservation for 60 day fp+ booking?

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_CA/faq/passholders/renewal-time-period/

I think you can only renew 30 days before they expire. Which won't give @arielrose the 60 day window.

It really comes down to whether she is happy with a 42 day window for FPs and a renewal rate, or wants a 60 day window and is willing to pay the "new AP rate".

But @arielrose, there is another option. Buy the multi-day ticket to book FPs, then save that and renew your AP. Use the ticket some other time, youncould save it under a fake friend on friends and family, or get GS to prioritise the AP before you enter the park.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I think you can only renew 30 days before they expire. Which won't give @arielrose the 60 day window.
Renewals can be made 60 days in advance. That’s how we avoided the situation @arielrose finds herself in. @arielrose your anniversary date will be the same regardless of when you renew your AP. If you are going to renew anyway, why go through the hassle of purchasing other tickets only to renew when you get there?

Tuvalu

Premium Member

nickys

Premium Member
Renewals can be made 60 days in advance. That’s how we avoided the situation @arielrose finds herself in. @arielrose your anniversary date will be the same regardless of when you renew your AP. If you are going to renew anyway, why go through the hassle of purchasing other tickets only to renew when you get there?

Ah, thanks for that. I'll know for next time!

arielrose

Original Poster
Thank you so much. I thought whenever we renewed is when the new year started. It makes sense that it would just be a yearly anniversary date. P.S. I love your trip reports!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom