Trip Report *Completed* You'll Always Find Your Way Back Home - September 2020

Hello friends, and welcome to another K and J trip report!

We will be returning to Walt Disney World together after basically a year away…more on that later. This is my fourth trip report so I’m sure many of you know us by this point, so I’ll keep the introductions brief…well, brief for me anyway.

Who: Me, Katie

704ADF40-9145-468D-9312-005337D64EDB.jpeg

3760B5FC-BE09-4830-9273-A8EA8B6B63AA.jpeg

And my husband, Jason

14309CC5-8915-485E-819A-83D1F5002103.jpeg

9BE0FF2C-F24F-436D-8CD1-F7205663605D.jpeg

We both visited Walt Disney World as kids, but our love for the Disney parks truly blossomed when we went to Walt Disney World together for the first time, for our first wedding anniversary back in 2014. We had the best time and made so many cherished memories, and we loved it so much that we ended up booking our next WDW trip before we even checked out!

519F22B5-A919-4116-ACD5-FA2F3DBCC0D9.jpeg

In total, we have been to Walt Disney World together 11 times, and Disneyland twice in the span of 6 years.

165CFED6-DBA0-4A95-9033-F51B88C20FB5.jpeg

In December 2017, we finally took the plunge and became annual passholders at WDW, and that’s when our trips started becoming more frequent – we average 3-4 Disney trips a year…with the exception of this year. As you may remember, I went on a Disney cruise with my mom, sister, and SIL back in February, and we spent one night at WDW, where I flew solo in Epcot for a couple hours. J and I had plans to do a WDW trip in April, and then COVID-19 happened. April became May, May became June, and then when our June trip was cancelled by Disney, we decided to cancel that trip altogether, and go to the beach in Palm Coast, FL instead. While in Palm Coast, we made a quick trip over to Disney Springs for a few hours. Aside from that time in Disney Springs, Jason and I have not been to Walt Disney World together in nearly a year. In fact, it will have been almost exactly a year when we return. I know we are so fortunate to be APs and be able to visit as often as we do, so I hate to feel like I’m complaining about my champagne problems, but I know many of you have felt the same way we have over the last few months. Being unable to be in our happy place, our home away from home, has been so hard for us, emotionally. We are so beyond ready to be back in Walt Disney World. Speaking of being back…

When: September 8th-13th

We had originally booked our trip for September 9th-13th, but then an Annual Passholder room discount came out in July, and we were able to add another night to our trip and still be paying less than what we were originally going to pay! Since we were going to be going down the Wednesday after Labor Day (the 9th), we were already planning to take the 8th off, since we didn’t see the point in being off work the 7th, working the 8th, and then being off the rest of the week. We’re excited to have a nice long weekend to get packed and prepared for the trip, rather than working all day the day prior, coming home and finishing last minute packing and preparation, and going to bed way too late the night before our trip.

A1D84CD0-BC74-43EF-8B90-133747AB4D22.jpeg

Where: Pop Century!

We have not stayed at Pop since March 2017, prior to the room renovations, so we are excited to be back. We have stayed in a renovated room at All Star Movies and loved it. I know a lot of people view the new theming as sterile, but we don’t mind it. I view it as a clean, modern look, and we absolutely love all of the added storage and USB portals/outlets. I know many folks don’t dig the “hardwood” floors and prefer carpet, but our entire house is hardwood and tile, so we’re used to it.

Our last (and only, up to this point) experience at Pop was defined by what felt like hundreds of school groups and sports teams staying at the resort at the same time as us, so we don’t exactly look back on our time at Pop with the fondest of memories. It’s not that there was anything wrong with the resort, it can just get frustrating to be surrounded by tons and tons of teenagers any time you go to ride a bus to the parks or eat in the resort food court. None of them were poorly behaved, as far as I can remember (at least not as poorly behaved as the cheerleaders when we stayed at CBR during a cheer competition, but that’s another story for another day)…there were just so many of them, everywhere, all the time…We are excited to make new, hopefully fonder memories at Pop. Jason is very excited about the Skyliner. I….am anxious. If you read my Disneyland trip report from this past December, you may remember that I have a pretty intense fear of heights. I told J that I would try the Skyliner at least once, since it’s important to him. If I absolutely can’t stand it, we’ll have our car with us, so we can drive to Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

498CC774-CCAB-4AD9-838E-91AE9EDF3CA4.jpeg

Why: We love visiting Walt Disney World in the Fall (and the Spring, and the Holidays, and…). Typically, September/October trips mean Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party and the Epcot Food and Wine Festival. While we are totally bummed that MNSSHP is cancelled, we understand why. There will always be other years. As far as Food and Wine…we are actually looking forward to the new, scaled-down version of the festival. I have always felt the usual 30+ booths to be overwhelming, especially if you’re only at Epcot for one day. We’ve already made a big list of things we want to enjoy at Food and Wine, and I know we won’t be disappointed!

B6C3D13E-7936-422A-BF27-269476913954.jpeg

So there’s my “brief” summary of the trip…look forward to more detailed plans coming soon!

Up next: Daily plans

Last edited:

KellBelle

Along for the ride! I have never stayed at POP pre renovations, but we have after and it was really nice. We stayed at AS Sports in 2017 with Pop Warner and it was brutal... never again!

coachwnh

Looking forward to your trip report again! Keep in mind Disney just updated their park hours as of September 8 so for your day in EPCOT on September 11, the park will now close at 7PM instead of 9PM :(
I was thinking the same thing. There is still time to make their ADR plans work.

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Along for the ride! I have never stayed at POP pre renovations, but we have after and it was really nice. We stayed at AS Sports in 2017 with Pop Warner and it was brutal... never again!
Yikes, that does not sound fun! 😂
Looking forward to your trip report again! Keep in mind Disney just updated their park hours as of September 8 so for your day in EPCOT on September 11, the park will now close at 7PM instead of 9PM :(
I know, I saw that Friday, right after my last update 😭 It's crazy to think that the latest any of the parks will be open is 7 pm. It seems like they're not making enough money with the parks being at such limited capacity, so they're having to cut back on CM hours.
Following along! We will be there just right before you from September 3-7 so it will be nice to have your trip report to look forward to when we get back to help with the Disney blues.
Reading trip reports always helps with the post-Disney blues! I hope you have a great trip!
I was thinking the same thing. There is still time to make their ADR plans work.
Thankfully, we don't have any in-park ADRs, so it won't affect us too much. It'll just be weird to be done with the day so early!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Thank you to everyone who has tuned in so far! I can’t believe we have less than a month until we leave for WDW! Our Magic Bands for this trip have already arrived in the mail…

7ECB08CC-E229-4E3E-A1E5-CF3731D713DC.jpeg

And I’ve already started making a mental list of everything I need to pack. I used to start packing for our Disney trips wayyyy in advance, but I’ve toned it down the last few years. Now, I usually start a pile in a corner of the bedroom for stuff I want to pack, and then the weekend before we leave, I’ll start actually packing. Jason usually starts packing his stuff around 5 pm the night before we leave! Since we’ll be leaving for this trip right after a 3-Day weekend, we’ll have plenty of time to get packed without feeling rushed.

5DC870A4-15DC-41D0-8574-89D650B71D0E.jpeg

I can’t believe I haven’t mentioned this before now, but we do have one big concern for this trip. Jason broke one of his big toes doing a flip off the diving board at my parents’ pool a few weeks ago. It all happened so fast that it was hard to see exactly how it happened, but we’re thinking that he didn’t jump far enough out, and he slammed the side of his foot/toe on the diving board on his way down. We are hoping that he is fully recovered by the trip. He has a very active job – typically 10,000+ steps a day just at work, so it’s hard for him to get enough rest. As soon as he gets home from work, I make him rest. Same deal on the weekends. He’s been wrapping the toe and elevating that foot, but it’s still a little tender at times. It certainly looks better than it did the day after the incident, now we’re just hoping that it feels better by September. I’ve already told him that if it’s not 100% better, we’re renting a wheelchair, and he’s just going to have to get over it.

A6FD62A3-F92F-4515-B848-B2D50EEA2629.jpeg

I saw that Silver Annual Passholders were un-blocked from WDW late last week, and it seems like that had a pretty big effect on the crowd levels over the weekend, which makes me a little nervous for our Hollywood Studios day, which is a Saturday. I know it will still be limited capacity, but having that many more people there makes it that much harder to get a boarding pass for ROTR. I'll be keeping an eye on the wait times over the next few weeks to see if we need to try to swap out some of our park pass days, or just make the most of what we currently have. And as many saw on Friday, WDW has cut back on park hours again, starting the day we check in. It seems like they're not making enough money with the limited capacity, so they're having to cut back on the Cast Members' hours. I've heard so many say that Disney Springs is a nightmare right now, and I'm sure that's directly affected by the early closing of the parks. No one wants to be done with the day at 6 pm. I know we'll make the most of it and still have a great time, but it's just a bummer to think that Epcot will be the last park to close each day, at 7 pm.

85DC8A17-CAA1-4BBC-AC06-C52C18BA0A14.jpeg

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Real life update:

Mom and I moved my sister A (you may remember her from my cruise TR here) into her first college dorm yesterday. 😭

C5A3B0FE-6CC1-4E36-B4FB-1FF3F1D694F8.jpeg

She is attending the University of Georgia with the goal of becoming a veterinarian. I really feel for the kids her age. COVID-19 has changed so many important milestone events for them. No senior prom, no senior week, delayed and/or modified high school graduation, and now it’s affecting their college freshman experience as well. One of the most fun parts of starting college is attending socials/events to try to meet new people, and so much of that is being done virtually now, if at all. A lot of classes are being done virtually, or partially virtually (i.e. half the class attends in person Tuesday, and the other half of the class attends in person Thursday). They aren’t allowed to have any visitors in their dorms. I’m just hoping that there’s a vaccine soon so that they can still have the full college experience.

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Less than two weeks until our trip! Like many others have said, it won’t feel officially official until we’re actually there. Between COVID and Hurricane Season, I don’t want to get my hopes up too high.

I have been monitoring wait times the past few weeks, to both give us an idea of what we’ll be looking at when we’re there, and to see if we need to try to move our Hollywood Studios park pass to a different day other than Saturday. Here’s a look at what my data looks like - I’ve been tracking the wait times for the day of the week that we’ll be at each park. So Wednesdays I track AK, Thursdays I track MK, etc.
30D49267-A956-47EC-974A-02EFF0D39551.jpeg

Sometimes I get busy with other things and forget to check for some hours. Saturdays are the worst, since we tend to be running errands or doing work around the house.

So far, I’ve come to a couple conclusions. 1) HS seems to be the most crowded park, any day of the week. I think it’s because the big people-eaters like the Frozen, Indiana Jones, and Beauty and the Beast shows, as well as character meets, are unavailable right now. That leaves everyone crowding 8-9 rides (depending on whether they get a boarding pass for ROTR). 2) AK seems to be the least crowded park. I think it’s due to a few factors. For one, that park is just larger. There are also more things to do outside of rides - walking the viewing trails, doing the animation experience, etc. Also, Animal Kingdom has some of the longer (time-wise) attractions. Kilimanjaro Safaris takes a while to do. Same with Flight of Passage (although maybe not so much now without the multiple pre-shows) and It’s Tough to be a Bug.

One thing I’m super anxious about for this trip is getting a boarding group for Rise. Partially because they seem to get snatched up in seconds, but also because you have to be in the park to get one. I know that they do the boarding groups right at park opening so that they can maximize the number of people that can do it each day, but that leaves very little room for error. We’re staying at Pop, which means we’ll either have to take the Skyliner over to HS, or drive our car. If we take the Skyliner and it breaks down, no boarding group for us. If we take our car, we can’t enter the parking area until 9:15, with all of the other masses. If there are just a ton of cars all trying to get in at the same time, that could delay us getting into the park. Jason says he’s not getting his hopes up about getting a boarding group, but that won’t stop me from obsessing over it until then. 😬

imahistorygeek

I'm also sweating the boarding pass for RotR for our September trip. I'm pretty much reading everything that is available to figure out a strategy. Honestly, just seems luck of the draw.

You mention you are about an hour north of ATL. Are you on the northeast side?

Zipadeelady

I'm with @Swissmiss I'm not a fan of heights but had no issues with the skyliner. I love rollercoasters but do feel like I'm going to die while riding up that first hill every single time. With that said I was a bit worried about the skyliner but it was so enjoyable. It comes in fast but I always felt safe.

k8einwdw

Original Poster
I'm also sweating the boarding pass for RotR for our September trip. I'm pretty much reading everything that is available to figure out a strategy. Honestly, just seems luck of the draw.

You mention you are about an hour north of ATL. Are you on the northeast side?
The whole boarding group/pass situation is so anxiety-inducing! I'm on the Northwest side, off of I-75. :)
I'm with @Swissmiss I'm not a fan of heights but had no issues with the skyliner. I love rollercoasters but do feel like I'm going to die while riding up that first hill every single time. With that said I was a bit worried about the skyliner but it was so enjoyable. It comes in fast but I always felt safe.
I'm glad to hear that! As long as it doesn't break down when we're on it, I'm thinking I'll probably be okay with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom