Trip Report (Completed!) This is Autism - When you add a little Pixie Dust!

Hi Everyone!

This will be my first trip report so I am a little nervous. Our family is heading to Disney World in 6 days! It will be myself, my husband and our 2 daughters: Julia who is 11 and Hope who is 4. Hope has severe Autism and SID (Sensory Integration Disorder). Some people think I'm crazy to take Hope to Disney with all of her issues, but I have found Disney to be the greatest therapy for her - she does some amazing things while we are there. This will be her 3rd visit after being diagnosed. I hope I can offer some encouragement (and a little humor) to others who have special needs children and are hesitant to visit Disney.

I have done a pre-trip report on my blog - I don't know if I am allowed to post the link here. I will try to catch up here over the next couple of very busy days! So if any of you are up for the journey with us - welcome!

mary

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 2: September 19th Epcot

Another huge milestone: Hope slept in the bed in our room all night! She has never slept in a hotel bed before. I always have to make up the floor for her to sleep on. We pushed the one bed up against the wall and figured we would give it a shot and sure enough she stayed in bed all night and would continue to sleep in it for the rest of the trip.

Rise & Shine – the Royal Court is expecting us for breakfast! We had ADR’s for Akershus Royal Banquet Hall in Norway at 9:30.

Disney September 2013 Download 1 060.JPG

Last edited:

ExtinctJenn

What a fantastic trip report thus far! I so identify with your family and the milestones you're sharing. Our son was diagnosed as ADHD when he was 3 but last year (not long after his 7th birthday) we got a more official diagnoses of Pediatric Bipolar Disorder. I have to agree with you that for children with these sorts of issues there is nothing like a trip to Disney. He's had minor sensory issues since he was very young and always has had difficulty with being patient or suffering any sort of disappointment but while at Disney he is able to, for whatever reason, take everything in stride and he relaxes (and we can too as a result). Sure there are still issues here and there but they are no worse than while we're home so why not take a vacation together and enjoy it? Good for you! Keep the report coming, I'm hooked!

Lucky

You're not kidding about the difference in bus service between CB and POFQ. I don't think I'd stay at CB again without a car.

I like your philosophy of trying everything at least once. You never know what might turn out to be your kid's favorite attractions. Sometimes you get surprised.

Looking forward to more!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Enjoying your report!

I'm curious--how did Hope like Splash Mountain? Did it go well? You noted that it was her first time and that she didn't like wet or up and down, but didn't mention her reaction. No need to go into detail, of course. :)

I agree with you that often people don't challenge themselves, and not just special needs children--after 28 years of marriage, I'm still trying to get my picky-eating husband to try new foods! I also believe in revisiting things after a span of time has passed, just to see if tastes or tolerances have changed. So I'm always interested in knowing the outcome of trying something new.

Weather_Lady

I'm really enjoying your trip report.

However, every time I read the title, all I see in my head is King Leonidas from "300" screaming, "THIS... IS.. AUTISM!!!!!!" :joyfull:

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Day 2 September 19th - Epcot (Continued)

Sorry about that interruption. I have been trying to get My PhotoPass Pictures and seem to be having problems. Yesterday, it worked fine but today it doesn't want to scroll down on the page where you can "save a copy". Not sure if it's my computer or a glitch in the site. Looks like I will have to make a phone call.

I also can't figure out how to get my pictures to appear here a little smaller. Can you tell I'm a little technically challenged?

Where were we? Ah yes... breakfast.

Disney September 2013 Download 1 061.JPG

I opted just to have the girls pose with Belle. Hope is wearing her Cinderella Dress that we purchased at Target last year when their Halloween costumes went 90% off! So I think I paid 2.99 for it. That's not even the best part about the dress. The fact that Hope is wearing a scratchy, itchy dress that is hanging off her shoulders and touching her bare legs is amazing. I gave her the choice and she picked it over a short outfit. So cool!
Disney September 2013 Download 1 064.JPG

Breakfast fit for a princess.

Disney September 2013 Download 1 066.JPG

The Little Mermaid is probably the favorite of both Julia & Hope. (As far as princesses go.)

Disney September 2013 Download 1 073.JPG

Disney September 2013 Download 1 076.JPG

Disney September 2013 Download 1 081.JPG

Disney September 2013 Download 1 083.JPG

Disney September 2013 Download 1 088.JPG

Disney September 2013 Download 1 091.JPG

A photo with my grumpy...

Disney September 2013 Download 1 096.JPG

We enjoy the Storybook Dining experience. We ate at the castle when Julia was younger but none of us enjoyed it that much to use 2 credits towards it. Maybe it is because Julia was never a "princess" girl? I might think differently when Hope is a little bigger. For now, this is perfect for us.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
We don’t normally do a lot in World Showcase except eat. lol Julia is not into the Kidcot stops, if they even have them anymore. And she could care less about the Agent P’s Adventure. Now if it were a Club Penguin Adventure – that’s a whole other story. But for now, most our Epcot Days are in Future World.

Disney September 2013 Download 1 139.JPG

Disney September 2013 Download 1 142.JPG

Disney September 2013 Download 1 140.JPG

We headed to Soarin and another first for Hope. We had Fast Passes but just for our curiosity, we didn’t show them. Instead we showed just the GAC card. Yep, that was all we needed. Now I see why people call it an automatic fast pass.

I was more skeptical for Soaring than I was for Splash Mountain. We requested that we “fly” on the lowest level to reduce that elevator feeling of going up. We all boarded and soar we did. As soon as we began going up Hope said, “down”. I replied, “not yet”. Hope had one eye shut and the other squinted. Translation: “This is a lot of sensory stuff for me to take in. I can only do little bits at a time.” At the end, we asked her. “Did you like it? Yes or no?” Hope is at the point where she does answer some yes or no questions – but probably with about 80% accuracy. We always have to also take into consideration her body language. So when her answer was “no” – I wasn’t so sure. I do believe she liked it and in fact, she would go on to ride again later that day. Of course, Tinkerbell at the end was a plus.

After Soarin it was off to Figment and of course the sad, empty feeling I get remembering the “old” ride. I wish my girls could experience it live. (Julia watches it on You Tube.) Hope loves the Image Works as much as riding Figment. (This was a ride she hated last year.)

I think she could spend a good portion of the day dancing there.

Disney September 2013 Download 1 131.JPG

Julia attempted to see the rainbow bridge. Every time she goes through, she asks a cast member if she can go upstairs. Last year, they were a lot more sympathetic to her. This year it was just a curt “no”. But I give her credit, it doesn’t stop her from asking.

After Imagination we headed to Innovations for the Chase Disney Visa card picture. The line wasn’t long at all. Hope & I held the place while the other “kids” played.
Disney September 2013 Download 1 154.JPG

Then it was our turn to meet Mickey & Pluto.

Disney September 2013 Download 1 134.JPG

We could not think of leaving Innovations without doing the Piggy Bank Adventure. Julia & Hope both LOVE it.

Disney September 2013 Download 1 143.JPG

Disney September 2013 Download 1 149.JPG

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Then it was time for Nemo.

Disney September 2013 Download 1 106.JPG

Disney September 2013 Download 1 109.JPG

Disney September 2013 Download 1 113.JPG

Our Fast Pass time for Test Track had arrived so we headed over there. It would be our first time on the new version. I didn’t really like the new concept but Ross & Julia really liked designing the car. Now I know what you are thinking, “She’s not taking Hope on that is she?”

Of course!

(Waiting for Photopass+ Picture)

Not her favorite – but she did it. I don’t think she knew what hit her – although Ross said it probably reminded her of my driving. When the car came to a stop she said, “seatbelt off!” Translation: “Let me out of here!”

It was time for dinner at The Garden Grill. This is my second favorite meal at WDW. Second only to… can you guess? You’ll have to wait and see…

Disney September 2013 Download 1 179.JPG

The food was great - the fish is my favorite. Service was good too. Of course, the characters were wonderful too.

Disney September 2013 Download 1 196.JPG

Sorry Pluto, the stomach wins out!

Disney September 2013 Download 1 194.JPG

What's a chipmunk to do to get some attention?

Disney September 2013 Download 1 200.JPG

Disney September 2013 Download 1 203.JPG

We saw everyone at least twice except Dale. He seemed to be in big demand! But he sill had time to dance with Julia.

Disney September 2013 Download 1 215.JPG

After dinner we returned to Soarin, Imagination & Nemo. Then we headed out to World Showcase to see Illuminations. Next to Fantasmik, Illuminations Is Julia’s favorite. I enjoy it, but prefer Wishes. We got settled in the handicapped viewing area behind one of the gift shops. We never knew about this until last year. It helps so much. Hope remains in her stroller to watch and in the past we would always get a spot with people sitting in front of us – but when the show would start, they would all stand and destroy any view for Hope. People in this section seem to be much more considerate of the circumstances so it is less stressful for us. Julia and Ross ran to Japan to get shredded ice while Hope & I waited. Unfortunately Hope dozed off just minutes to it starting and was out for the night. But the rest of us watched and enjoyed.
Finally back home to sleep. Another packed day!

Up next: Animal Kingdom

Last edited:

Figment Forever

Original Poster
What a fantastic trip report thus far! I so identify with your family and the milestones you're sharing. Our son was diagnosed as ADHD when he was 3 but last year (not long after his 7th birthday) we got a more official diagnoses of Pediatric Bipolar Disorder. I have to agree with you that for children with these sorts of issues there is nothing like a trip to Disney. He's had minor sensory issues since he was very young and always has had difficulty with being patient or suffering any sort of disappointment but while at Disney he is able to, for whatever reason, take everything in stride and he relaxes (and we can too as a result). Sure there are still issues here and there but they are no worse than while we're home so why not take a vacation together and enjoy it? Good for you! Keep the report coming, I'm hooked!

Thanks for sharing and for the encouragement! I love your quote at the bottom - so true!

Figment Forever

Original Poster
You're not kidding about the difference in bus service between CB and POFQ. I don't think I'd stay at CB again without a car.

I like your philosophy of trying everything at least once. You never know what might turn out to be your kid's favorite attractions. Sometimes you get surprised.

Looking forward to more!

Yes, the CB is beautiful but not a good choice for our family.

Figment Forever

Original Poster
Enjoying your report!

I'm curious--how did Hope like Splash Mountain? Did it go well? You noted that it was her first time and that she didn't like wet or up and down, but didn't mention her reaction. No need to go into detail, of course. :)

I agree with you that often people don't challenge themselves, and not just special needs children--after 28 years of marriage, I'm still trying to get my picky-eating husband to try new foods! I also believe in revisiting things after a span of time has passed, just to see if tastes or tolerances have changed. So I'm always interested in knowing the outcome of trying something new.

Opps! How did I leave that out? No - she did not like it. She did great - she never screams or cries. We have to judge it by her willingness to do the experience again. I was hoping the music and characters would overtake the plunge and splash, but no such luck. We actually weren't sure right away if she liked it or not, but when we went to return another day, well, we call it the "Splashdown Melt Down."

I also agree with trying things again at a different time. Last year Hope hated Peter Pan - this year it's a favorite!

Thanks for reading!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom