Trip Report *COMPLETED* That time I paid for a dessert party and couldn't eat anything: I Kidani you not! A December 2018 trip report

Hello All! This is my first trip report, so please bear with me! I have loved reading all of your trip reports on here for a long time and may (just may) be slightly obsessed with them. So, here goes my crack at it.
I guess I'll start with the basics:
Who: Myself (Katie), my husband (Mike), and our 8 year old son (Ben). We are from Michigan and I am the major Disney fanatic in the family. Mike mostly just goes along for the ride to keep me happy, but he does enjoy it, too. And Ben of course loves our trips as well. This was his third trip so far, as we have been going every two years. I would love to go more often, but convincing Mike to do yearly trips hasn't happened yet. I mean, what's his problem?! :rolleyes:
AK_PANDORASMFALLS_20181204_414819621339.jpg

When: Dec 1st-Dec8th. We have historically gone the week before Thanksgiving, but decided to give the first week of December a try this time. I like going this time of year because of the cooler weather. I cannot handle walking around in the heat and humidity of Florida. I give major props to all those on this forum that go during the summer! Ben missed a week of school, but I'm ok with that. He's in 2nd grade right now and his teacher had given him a homework packet to do on the trip.

Where: Animal Kingdom Lodge-Kidani Village. Standard view studio. This was our first time staying at AKL. We decided to rent DVC points this year, which was also a first. We went through DVC Rental Store and it was a very easy and good experience. We ended up saving quite a bit on the room as compared to booking rack rate. However, it was still a bit pricey, so I opted for the studio room (1 Queen bed with pull out couch) with a standard view to save a little more money. Since there are only three of us, we don't really need that much room.
Also, I am a veterinary technician with a degree in zoology, so anything animal related is totally up my alley!!
IMG_0030.JPG

Saturday, December 8th:

We left Detroit Metro airport around 10am on Saturday. The flight was uneventful and we landed at MCO a little ahead of schedule.
IMG_0010.JPG

I had been debating prior to our trip about whether to have Magical Express take our luggage to the resort or just do it ourselves. I had packed our carry-ons with bathing suits and change of clothes, just in case we didn't have our main bags and wanted to go swimming when we got to the resort. We have had them handle our luggage in the past, but I know it can take a long time sometimes. However, on our way to the airport I suddenly remembered that I had left our ME luggage tags at the house. Mike asked if I wanted to turn around, but we were already on the freeway so I just figured we'd take our own bags after all.
When we got to the Magical Express area at MCO....IT.WAS.INSANE!!! Now, we have used ME many times in the past and we've never had the luxury of just walking onto a half full bus, and we have always had to wait in some sort of line before getting on the bus. In fact, I keep telling Mike that I read on here all the time about people just sauntering on to the ME bus, no lines, and he thinks I'm full of it :joyfull: . I kept saying "Maybe we'll get lucky like the folks on my Disney blog"! Well, that was definitely not going to be the case today. I have never seen the line so long and crazy. It was stretched out way past the elevators and you couldn't even see the ME check point. CMs were trying to guide people into some sort of organized lines. It probably took a good hour before we were on the bus! Ben got on and wanted the very last seat on the bus. You know, the one directly next to the bathroom :bored:. But, soon we were on our way. We stopped at Coronado Springs first and then AKL Jambo House, and then AKL Kidani Village.
When I stepped off the bus, it was warm, overcast, and a little windy. As I waited for our bags from the bus, I just kept looking around like "Oh my god, I cannot believe I am finally here!". After so much time planning this trip, we were here! And the sounds and smells from AKL were so wonderful, I may have teared up just a little.
Here are some pics I took from the front of the lobby area
IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

Light fixture for @Doc Disney !

I had received a text while on the ME that our room was ready. I was crossing my fingers for a partial savannah view room and had put in a room request as well, but I knew it was a long shot. No need to check in at the front desk, so we went directly to our room on the 5th floor. I knew as soon as I stepped off the elevator that I would not be getting my wish, but that's ok.
Our room was very nice. It had a balcony that faced the hotel entrance, so while there may not have been animals, it was at least good people watching! Our room had a queen bed, a pull out couch, a small kitchenette area with microwave, mini fridge, sink, and toaster. The bathroom was pretty standard, but nice. Everything was clean.
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

dizfan917

I'm enjoying your report, thanks for writing!

When I first started reading, I was confused because I was there the same week as you guys were and you were writing about how wonderful it was on Sunday, December 9th. I was 99% sure that we sat on a covered patio almost the whole day and watched typhoon-like rains come down. it pretty much ruined our last day at WDW, but at least we were (for the most part) dry the whole time. Then I realized that you were probably writing about Sunday the 2nd, because that WAS a beautiful day!

I thought I was going crazy there... :geek:

KatieLVT

Original Poster
I'm enjoying your report, thanks for writing!

When I first started reading, I was confused because I was there the same week as you guys were and you were writing about how wonderful it was on Sunday, December 9th. I was 99% sure that we sat on a covered patio almost the whole day and watched typhoon-like rains come down. it pretty much ruined our last day at WDW, but at least we were (for the most part) dry the whole time. Then I realized that you were probably writing about Sunday the 2nd, because that WAS a beautiful day!

I thought I was going crazy there... :geek:
Oops...I probably did get my dates wrong there. We weren't even there on the 9th! Did I write that? Well, anyway I meant the 2nd! :joyfull:

KatieLVT

Original Poster
Ok, let's get this show on the road for the last time, huh? Sorry for the big gaps in posting...half the time I'm too lazy to post after working all day, and the other half my kid is hogging the computer!

Anyway...we last left off on our last park day at MK in the morning. The plan was to head to the hotel and then back out to Epcot for the evening. But, after thinking about it, we decided to just head straight to Epcot to make the most of our time. So, we took the monorail over from MK. It's always so sad leaving MK for the last time during a trip. I always try to linger on Main Street for a bit and take in the sounds and smells.

Goodbye...see ya real soon!
IMG_0455.jpg

Hello, old friend!
IMG_0461.jpg
IMG_0462.jpg

I had originally grabbed a FP for Soarin on our way over, but after checking again I saw there was one for Test Track. Since that's Ben's favorite, we all decided to do one last ride.

We stopped for the Photopass guy out in front. He told Ben to look like he was "thinking". I guess this is what his thinking face is??:bored::hilarious:
EPCOT_FWEASTICON_20181207_414856253436.jpg

You can see his shirt is a little wet. I think we had stopped to play by the fountains first.

The guy also told him to do this pose. I assumed it was going to be another magic shot, but it didn't turn out that way. Kinda odd.
EPCOT_FWEASTICON_20181207_414856253433.jpg

Finally, we were waiting to get into our cars. Ben took this while we waited. Remember, folks, I hadn't had a chance to change clothes or fix my hair at the hotel after my soaking earlier that day. I'm going to use that as an excuse for my look going on here! :hilarious:
IMG_0463.jpg

Woohoo!!
EPCOT_DPIRIDESYSGMTT_20181207_414856370609.jpg

Next, we wandered back to World Showcase. It was pretty busy since it was a Friday night.

Had to stop to be silly in Canada!
IMG_0465.jpg

I was like "Ben, the point is to stick your face in there, not your entire body!" :hilarious::hilarious:
IMG_0466.jpg

Ben was still trying to finish up all the Agent P missions, so we walked over to the UK. Mike and I had a beer and some crisps, and walked around while Ben found the different check points. I wish I had a picture, but one of the stops is in the tea shop and you have to walk up to a CM and say a secret code word. This one young guy CM was watching Ben and motioned him over. He was playing the part so well, like leaning over and whispering so others couldn't hear. Then he asked Ben "Do you trust her?" and pointed to me. Ben had to think a minute, then was like "Uhh...yeah". LOL!! It was really cute. Also, the CM was not too hard on the eyes either! :inlove::hilarious:

KatieLVT

Original Poster
As we were leaving UK, we saw Alice outside signing autographs. Since Ben didn't have her signature yet, I was able to get him to pose with her. I couldn't hear what they were talking about most of the time. Ben was still being pretty shy though.
IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

We ended up getting a couple rolls from Les Halles and then walked back over to Electric Umbrella, AGAIN!! I can't believe I ate there twice in one trip!:joyfull: Oh well. By this point we were all beat and everyone was starting to get a little crabby. Time to hit the road!

Bye, Epcot!! I took this shot on our way out. I think it might be my favorite.
IMG_0475.jpg

I'm pretty sure we ended up taking a Lyft back to the resort. We were back there quickly and started to pack things up and have one more sleep at AKL. We were checking out the next day. :arghh:

KatieLVT

Original Poster
Saturday Dec 8th:

The original plan when I booked this trip was to leave on Saturday. However, when we started to book our flights, it was significantly cheaper to fly back home on Sunday than Saturday. It was actually cheaper just to stay an extra day, not go to the parks, and get a hotel for one night near the airport. So, that's what we decided.

So, today we had a breakfast reservation for Boma. We took the shuttle over to Jambo house. I have no idea why I didn't take ONE picture at breakfast, but I didn't. :( However, I will say I really liked the food there. It was very busy and a little crowded by the buffets, but our server was very nice and attentive and I liked everything I tried. My one mistake was having a Mickey (or Simba?) waffle. Those things are good, but they fill you up like immediately! So, I definitely didn't get my money's worth because I was so stuffed. Next time, I will know better. Oh, also the French Toast bread pudding is to die for!!! :hungry::hungry:

After breakfast we headed back to Kidani so we could finish packing and check out. We left our bags at bell services and went outside to check out the savannah some more.

This was great because we met a friend. There was a CM there from South Africa that was there to talk about the animals and answer any questions you may have. We were the only ones out there so we struck up a conservation with her. She was very friendly and told us all about her experience working for Disney as an intern. She was very candid, too and even told us how some things were not that great. Like American food, I guess! She was also home sick and missing her family, so she was excited to head back home in a couple months.

It was cute, too because she was telling us how when she was packing to come to Florida, everyone told her she would need winter clothes since she was going to America and it snows there. She said it took her a few weeks after she got here to realize that that's not the case in Florida!

Anyway, she chatted with Ben for a long time about animals. She asked what his favorite animal was in all of Africa. His response? The ostrich. :hilarious: The CM even teased him a little, and was like "Really, out of all the animals?" But, she took him over to her little cart and let him hold an ostrich egg and a foot bone. Ben was very interested.

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

This was such a great interaction and I know it meant a lot to Ben. When it was time to go, she gave Ben a beaded bracelet she had with all different kinds of beads. It was from the activities they do in the resort and for each activity you complete, you get a corresponding bead to add to the string. Ben hadn't done any of the activities, but she gave him a completed one as a souvenir. He was SOO excited and couldn't stop talking about it. More on that later...

We said goodbye to our friend and decided to walk over to Jambo house. We hadn't really had time to explore things there before.

Here's Ben on the way there. Remember that leaf he picked up at HS earlier in the week? Here it is again!! :hilarious:

Mike and I finally convinced him to "return the leaf to its home" in the bushes. But first, a picture to commemorate it. Also you can see the beads here.
IMG_0483.jpg

At Jambo House we checked out the gift shop, which is really cool. I loved this Christmas display in the entrance.
IMG_0485.JPG

And I want this in my house!!
IMG_0486.JPG

I bought a magnet and Christmas ornament. We then walked outside to check out their savannah. The giraffes were very close, it was really cool.
IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0490.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG

KatieLVT

Original Poster
More AKL pics
IMG_0495.JPG
IMG_0496.JPG

Check out this light fixture, @Doc Disney!! I think this may be the best one yet!
IMG_0497.JPG

After we had our fill of AKL, we took the bus over to Disney Springs to walk around and do some shopping. No trip is complete without a visit to the Lego store of course!
IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

They have a screen there that pretends to scan your hand and then tells you who you would be as a Lego character.
Ben was Shakespeare
IMG_0501.JPG

Mike was the Riddler. I have no idea what I was. Apparently we didn't document that!
IMG_0503.JPG

This was about the time in the day when Ben starting breaking down. I don't know why exactly, I think it had just been a long week with probably not a lot of sleep and a lot of junk food. But, whatever the reason, he was breaking down fast, crying over little things and just generally being argumentative.
We needed a break! I really wanted to go to Jock Lindsey's, so we made our way over there. We sat outside on the deck and enjoyed the sights of the (very aggressive) birds and water.
We ordered the Snake Bite Sliders and Doctor Astorga's Queso Fundido. Ben was still pouting about EVERYTHING...so drinks were in order!

I ordered the Cool Headed Monkey and I think Mike had the Old Elephant IPA
These really hit the spot!
IMG_0509.JPG

After we were finished, we walked over to watch the Amphicars. There was a cormorant hanging out under the deck there.

IMG_0512.JPG

We then went over to World of Disney and did some more shopping. I do like the new layout of the store. We also stopped at Goofy's Candy Co. and got a few things to go. We then headed out to the buses. We took the bus back to Kidani to pick up our bags and then got a cab to take us to our hotel near the airport.

We stayed at the Sheraton Suites Orlando. It was about a 45 minute drive from AKL. As we were getting out of the cab at the hotel, Ben says he can't find his beads. We look all over the floor, in between the seats, etc. Nothing. We check all our bags. No beads. He had been carrying them around in his shorts pockets all day. I had also warned him several times to be careful that they didn't fall out.

Well...this did not go over well. He was so upset and just devastated that he lost these special beads from the CM we met. He was crying and inconsolable. I felt really bad for him, actually.

We never did find them, either. I don't bring it up at all, but anytime he sees those pictures from that day, he gets all sad. :(

After we calmed down somewhat from the tragedy, we settled in to our "suite" and got some take out from the bar downstairs. The hotel was adequate for a one-night stay. But, I would not want to stay there any longer than that.

Here's what the bedroom/bathroom set up was like: The bed directly in front of the sink with no door or separation. The toilet/shower were around the corner. Kinda weird that it was directly in front of the bed like that :bored:
IMG_0523.jpg

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Poor Ben; that’s very sad about his beads. When something like that happens to my DD, I’m always torn between the « I told you so » and just being the comforting mom...

KatieLVT

Original Poster
To finish up:

We got up SUPER early and took the hotel shuttle over to the airport. And soon enough we were on our way back home to Detroit :(
IMG_0524.jpg

Final thoughts from this trip:
1) It was a good, long stay. We had pretty decent weather and only a couple rain showers.

2) AKL is AWESOME!!! Our room at Kidani was a bit small, even for 3 people. But, I can't really complain too much. The resort itself and all the amenities make up for that. Just walking around that place is like a vacation in itself.

3) Note to self: Do NOT use a scopolamine patch next time. Dramamine will suffice!:hungover:

4) Flight of Passage was amazing! I'm so glad we got to experience this twice during our trip. So worth it!

5) The MK Plaza Viewing Dessert Party was worth it, despite my not getting to eat anything. I would still book it again. The view for Happily Ever After and not having to stake out a spot makes it worth it in my opinion.

6) Toy Story Land is cute. Slinky Dog is great! Aliens...meh.

7) Illuminations at Epcot is pretty cool. Will I miss it? Probably not. I'll be interested in what they have in store for the future.

8) We spent the most amount of time in Epcot I think. I don't know why people always say Epcot is boring, or there's nothing there for kids. My kid loves it! And there's a lot to do for everyone!

9) That last day of not going to parks and just hanging out...could have done without that. I think in the future, I will plan a non-park day in the middle of the week. Doing it at the end just felt like we were hanging out for no reason. We were all ready to go home and in retrospect we should have just paid the extra money and flown home on Saturday. But, I do think planning a day just to hang out at the resort would be fun. Just not at the end of the trip, though.

10) Even with some minor set backs (soaking wet jeans, barfing kids, non-dessert dessert party, etc) WDW is still the best vacation place for families. So much to do for everyone in your party! And there's still so much more I need to do when we go back. More food! More rides! More everything!!

Thanks for reading. I hope it was mildly entertaining for you all. Looking forward to reading everyone else's reports on here!!!

KatieLVT

Original Poster
Poor Ben; that’s very sad about his beads. When something like that happens to my DD, I’m always torn between the « I told you so » and just being the comforting mom...
I know!! I was annoyed with him at first, but then had to remind myself that he's just a kid and it was an accident. I did feel bad.

Rista1313

Thank you for this TR... Just waiting for September when we can go again! I don't mind the sunshine here in GR today, but I could do without the cold!

krause

I really enjoyed reading your trip report.
Ben was still pouting about EVERYTHING...so drinks were in order!

I ordered the Cool Headed Monkey and I think Mike had the Old Elephant IPA
These really hit the spot!

I love when the kid is freaking out, it’s time for drinks for the adults! My kind of parenting style! 👍🏻:hilarious::joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom