Trip Report Completed - Shaky the Elevator, and other Disney World Tales

Disney World...

Big...Wide...and very, very cold!

Ok, so that last part might not be 100% true, but for the first couple days of our recent December trip, it certainly felt true. Here is visual evidence. Pay no attention to the sunshine, it was a very cold day.

nnfbacU4E9zIE0oUWDMKosc1sJ9nobQtX7n450gh5FhTEgdmqfD2DwujvTfR71dXNonaDRFlxLoeRPNAEwka5MuNO2_qpXz_pGczbDvYcnyyzdK-xMTzBNjMH-t0KTcmNjVpqjmde10NggV4M_jQIKFcAHjIoobu6g6cgj41JFaQ3GBgC6Nhf3lHd3MXj_eWeIqDa3H_wxj-1XhaCu_SbLSVq7PNpxq02hj-uDnfkQTqvn4Sfs2M-yWWndpeCmkmFXDQ2jUTTRsFtXiPseYbbOeS_Cgd0SSnN0X_IyIQwmMSvONHPflcpMWewiV2xzJo3HCyTSII98NEiMU6fmJWTYYQmVHhbWt54Wh4lzmbEpSLxFpMs3cPO6mhk8hbkCy0p3YuYhlx_p3hjtt9BT7Ng-P9HnWO4BbX8eWRQGM0q6feRUv7-v2ezstBf48R2Kwho_sJJYX0q67EZGtJmvdhctOFn02rgcJ4vffI4luGdFUWA-NpsZB1r_1hJuxeOq2IKZj1ndBJvlBF9-cENziYGu8NDMWPIBlwJ_8kipxPvfeGVCDKgodF7WSe2Thy4xAzZ_eXNnZIelYNval_VA5IVqNzPWYW7WVz1xZZhhSbznbDpLR_G9TddVs1oCoz0OdlMvwlI1s-KhVr9HWCN0yI2N83P30W-G1W=w599-h899-no

Welcome to our latest Disney Trip report. We visited WDW from Saturday, December 9th through the 16th. It was COLD!!:cold: VERY COLD!!! :cold::cold::cold:. Yes we were wearing coats in Animal Kingdom (all except for my wife Sara, but that is a different story).

Our trip began on Thursday, December 7th. That afternoon Sara and I loaded up our car (with way too many things) while our daughter Makayla, who is three, took her nap. Once our son Luke, six years old, came home from school, we all jumped in the van and were on our way from our Pennsylvania home.

We quickly learned that Luke is the perfect age for asking "Are we there yet?" over and over and over. Not 30 minutes into our trip the questions started raining from the back seat. -"Are we at our hotel yet?" -"No, we're not even out of Pennsylvania yet." -"How much longer?" -"About six hours, enjoy your movie" (the kids were watching "Mickey and the Roadster Racers," a favorite of Luke's. 15 minutes pass... -"Are we there yet?" And on and on.

About two hours into our trip we made a stop at a Moe's Southwest Grill for dinner, the continued on our way. We stayed the night at a Hampton Inn south of Richmond, VA. The kids had actually fallen asleep for the last hour or so before we arrived at the hotel, but they had no problem falling back asleep once we were settled in the room. Sara and I also had no problem getting to sleep. It had been a long day.

The next morning the kids woke up and watched some cartoons while Sara and I got ready. Here they are looking super enthused...

nGAn4QIJ7h-xbSjsWoCeJK3eBiJiF44jLVbUDJTpbNw21S28sJKVwBs3fEEwtXVK56jUTNtF5cvwSbwzzbNZpJFSKxa_gcR4aik8FreIXR8CCcHnfrwPVEFxi6NxtOBuAq7GgRAqD8PqLH4whpUwP3BsiUx4ROe-sS2nxg4R_3-LlJg75QfTmhWf7SiOOHOky2YulZsB56ZQUgV32RkoxfMHFZ8d3ta4RqIusgeZy3Gk4RKPkPC4j-wnPRWRjdTqYU0Fx46tyY-CqDPDnnt8ne5f0X31stHmOHmtAmhbr4f_JRmWpI3foB6rSdKMTrvsLHL79JDxZy5d4tzBFmhX5U6RVYE66O5679K8aLxZ8Rrq68j79VYv7Coy0PweGe78nLHIYC0_rPnXgiD1n1T2nkxCZGFjdWxHa6ZXkZO_95_S9oET_OgUhRZY6n8yJSBybLmkEIxTnBpJ1OZWqfBx-J2_4n_75VLFsiOQOc0gQEYYT8HTI-M7FPLPp1M4S93wuaCWpcJEoBAXYjmj55DlGlpOwcRqUE56vvKaS6cuR6I-aL6s2xWIh_HjlzKd__FmAtuUoB3vMd5GndKEZJcgwQMLsvyCTQG0lD0hu62Tfo1jWNZ2AgRwnknnNtwTjVpbxKg1fD9LU2y1OLfLbNo0b9yTlWu78EYm=w1068-h802-no

After a quick breakfast, we were on the road. This was Friday, December 8th. Areas around Atlanta, GA will likely remember this day as the day they got several inches of snow. A cold front was pushing through, which would bring arctic air all the way down to Florida. Brrrr. Thankfully, no snow for us as we were traveling on I-95 this day, just a heavy dose of rain.

We made several cold, wet stops along the way. Lunch was at a Pizza Hut in South Carolina, and at the Georgia Welcome Center we got to meet Forrest Gump.
H8JguNsmegfOmYTWuHEU6_DCviC_iEq4Dbhl2fHXmehW5cZ7-Wi3n6g0p7Q8AZ_0I4zVFFQzjZ-xaTcSiSQ3BqXiFE-CpqLd-GU7l5fHvHGGTA3NzZwI3J_2sA7LgQq8N1qgL8wgWxHuiAGz3DHptH2aBVRTUkIz6ECOkVVw-m1wlLK79hfq_0GMWSv11y3KaCu1LDc285BJV8iZhWO8tarfCB6LgVodslcQI4cKmtkDZiHxfa2IEPR9XZ0gn_ztREJryFt4WQZ66_N6FfoIVG8Rl2pP-TQilc9kaYLHJ0c2SzP7rQl-ecR-YmJhn39T0QRRxtffDNCvuUlVzE0KiGLjkIlzOYIVL53_I8rfN9uDL61xB5uihIMISWwCenvKIAApy13zx4rTieu1BlBXemsSNbn5PU2VgPMfPYrduvceoEmI5QzJ136e565mLlXWZC7DhrajwKysYp0JW3todCNk8m4mVN5oL0vCKXRXMPpH1ZIKvIr2ygKT_pmJZXKv3UwQmkcQnkMTSysMQjJPCXi_-Buf9pE1CTmdvsmyvjbmkquTcGcS-pcoVi8qctjvGrAkNE2kM4Zv2ZSOBVGrmWAgNA-uBMcADdELzP6nR0wc8HUHvOFKYckAnNSG3WiKcq1uXi1kdwQY_7nvcFB_FwSx2Y5ABIs-=w1068-h802-no

Makayla posed for a picture, Luke refused. In the year since our past trip to Disney, Makayla has gotten slightly more comfortable with characters. She still doesn't like them, but she doesn't necessary go running and screaming away from them anymore. Her character interactions this trip would be very hit or miss depending on what mood she happened to be in.

They did both enjoy the trolley car at the visitor center however.

slH93vce4KQmOmhagNKTkf5D0furWvHgAcdDwUtX30xwcv1VSa19Blti24lK1A9pw8ZCLn6HgmML9JiNLpQVKwKW1937bEawdlz7Ga2TmanNC1fY6YwhHYVgYX7cvooCyPF8Cs3CWp7hwlw2iJSB8OrK_-SKVkshtnkmoq3o79gyik20OEYOyxGkujKTZ6TkEKKbMATCjLPHbqjK_Sk7j_RO__ECu-GmqlSjaE10HdS3PV7srU6QW9PpXBICnYxO3TpPRvHYx8YEhnaZxA7SuDftX1c2vBPuFd1YhgKnUAabBcrKBRGwiI7eXi6QHuFtsK3BmsH83WZEGWLK3RWJ-oq9KYGqjQ_bB1A7nZRiQcM2THJv-yiGuRfrM6sXyEBLJoPhLvg6g3GwQzE9gxpiiazCto2oIi7NT30cGNsIrZf_lbZM2SxaNvf3fPuSdWq8MdY19REo2zCSmt2Y13-dP5-CEpjYM10kWmrq3wi1m4rA-h-dvx7KBN2oYLf0rc3rFKT7wQW_MjW5TlgLqjjAbhw0VM2Yh_JqB_y9yk5xBb0o1EquoHYSV55qbx16x04UYhhXsuAaKMYEB0MhGONW1OU6IW9LDwwQ2PIvzQ8FLQefA9M_rnspJ03lU912E3fjoFjHFixFjuSBrY4dprS-1vRGajode1Qd=w1068-h802-no

Once we were south of Jacksonville the rain finally relented, and the temperature rose from about 40 to 70 degrees in the two hours between Jacksonville and Orlando, at least according to our car's gauge. We had made it in front of the approaching cold front, but a quick glance at the forecast let us know that the warm weather wouldn't last. When we arrived at our hotel, we felt the warmest temperature we would feel that week. But with the warm weather was a steady north wind that we knew was bringing the cold air.

We stayed at another Hampton Inn in Orlando for the night. Luke and Makayla had loved the suite we stayed at the year before so much that I decided to splurge and get another one for the night. This one didn't come with a separate room, just a very large room. Can't complain though. It was very nice.
_0MXr1IzWxUbsscDWw5yOLnuBd-937fFGV2z8wdA8hxLXFAqZYRM1Ue2t-ia3o9oqH7fvANEd2jmAQ4j_MQLp93l-pW_HHHhb9hzF4Rp2-0bU2Ql3H3oR1VLCWBNQTWeQPli6BDhE8VGLrri1Lf4bXUZhZtyqlbxOLacFQXqS7z3AL38oaG0yUpd3Pm3rf6lNskaFv2WdLmMvw_hiWE8096rgSPbgzclhMZTzo9zdShaLEvfdp-gNlGHZoHJHwZe6APj-j3QbdVo8UQGzVeOFd5HdB2SYkFCx5dVLSMZmcBFZr6VJKUuuIcocM06HE98Zdqcy7CNYCFCJQ1KpargeewNqzA7KffASlyfMgQAC6imQutuDww4xRIauNQbEpdG2V9WPuhwkGXuB_9UuneNbB4LSgQHBaTIV2aqPaBzRsoW-mtY_Fty0s6mt4X81GBRhZS-Zt3FQxizEWiV1qhZ9rmFxlVurmW0PRPnr2yAOqn613-MNEhFwiHFMEIHgK5ZRyN17KiIcYX1N3MwuBTpO6E95fHmwbaTW0nubX79ZFw-sq0Ta5GYgJd4mTVYtFWqwZ4RhL2HYGxwtMsr2INdRQftThN93kVx7NqkdLset1H5RtsvbB7nKHXexlYbCiM2KRtnhhLlVD2rQfV1YUhgODxE-vsOSar0=w1068-h802-no

3M-4T0zlfr5Ifz9wKKvpiQq28WHQXzTovZmBaAtwCTUv4hAc7aGjdfAet6-QupwaC_0w7w8UubMw9P5zMM4FNLI5XzYUm5kQIUkaJpC6TqlnHgHCG9N2HWKjR6Odtwou-cCUP_VQY71SkUTQRLn-Xo5t8NvuuTHsdNO3HrOCNwPFYMvPkTlEDki8XM9br9H94SWPSYf8-OIquuH7_Qw6-twGkF0jELn2rlzUDZx5QcT5LWckhUDLUHEFMosD9fhjXr3y6wioO_XcUaSxZtsbK449T-AgGjRaoIjmsNXBqa-JEM5DAHDr7HNC9O7fC_YTL_1L4sYMO5uxFzS_238USkURdmrA3SIHWmJfm89mx5eVFpYo5mlpt77Jfi7IgQ9mfy3L-8b1yW8QHWx0bmMA6wbjYR4at83UeyiuKfwFnETV7aqbI19i_EsP1nl6Go6Mc2F7uo47PUy0B3cJfRK_isF6qj-MTaw2JRrWtdAPn8BZc4oQUacYrUNWCSLZyP9mJFYZddFARNQpLwYOt-XewYz5t-eG7ybsBxs2afpf590x1Crk6EmHzu-5LlLIDOjph3EiNzX0-Bkva_-MawMc2sZKggsYcviiWCF7oPID6UdtjHqBjnm2evntAhtHbNf66JfKeIj6ItSBucjq1db4rS5bhEfemuEa=w1068-h802-no

The next morning we were headed to Epcot!!!

Lyear

Original Poster
We exited the Frozen theater with Luke still a little disappointed. He perked up though when we found a small video game center near the exit.

IMG_1117.JPG

I don't think he realized it, but he was playing with a Star Wars character :eek: in a Disney Infinity game. I believe it was Kylo Ren, but my memory isn't the greatest as we type this. He liked playing for a bit, and Makayla held the controller and thought she was playing as well.

It was around the time they were playing this game that I mentioned to Sara that a slushy would taste really good right now. So with that we ended up at Backlot Express for a little mid afternoon break. Luke, Makayla and I all got a blue slushie. Sara went with a BB8 cupcake.

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

The small rocks around the cupcake were some type of candy and became very popular for stealing from Sara. Maybe it was the culmination of a lot of walking throughout the week, but it felt really good to sit down inside and enjoy my slushy. It was a nice break in the day.

It didn't last too long though because our fastpass for Ariel's show was coming up. We walked over there, and when we arrived we learned it didn't take as long as we thought it would, because they hadn't started letting people for our showtime in yet. While we were near Star Wars launch bay, I had the great idea to use our Chase Visa card to get a character photo. Unfortunately, the cm at the entrance informed us that the Chase meet and greet had ended at 5pm. We were about 10 minutes too late :(.

We decided to pass the time we had by going into the studio store, which in hindsight wasn't a great idea because Luke and Makayla immediately wanted everything they saw. We ended up allowing them to get one thing each. Luke picked a track and Mickey racing car from the show Mickey and the Roadster Racers, and Makayla picked a baby Sven doll from Frozen, which she still sleeps with at night.

After money was spent and gifts purchased, it was time to check in for the show. We used our fastpasses to enter the queue. We had been standing there for about 3-5 minutes when Makayla, who was still potty training, had one of those :facepalm: moments. We were just standing around, when she gets a concerned look on her face and announces to everyone in the immediate area that she had "poopied." I led her out of the queue and over for a diaper change. By the time we made it back, we were told the show had already started and we couldn't get into the theater :confused:.

So we now had some time to kill while Sara and Luke were enjoying the show. I asked Makayla if she wanted to meet a character, and she chose Doc McStuffins. She enjoyed seeing Doc as we approached and said hi, but once our turn came, she did not want to get close. Doc was very understanding, and I ended up staying in between for photos as Makayla made sure to keep her distance.

STUDIO_PLYDSCHAR1_20171215_407185076474.jpg

STUDIO_PLYDSCHAR1_20171215_407185076482.jpg

When we had finished, Sara and Luke were out from the show. When I asked Sara just now what she remembered about the show, she told me that the ceiling was lit to make it look like you were underwater, but couldn't tell me much more. I guess it wasn't the most memorable show :D

By this point the sun had gone down. Our night at HS was beginning. And what a busy, crowded night it would be.

Lyear

Original Poster
Right around the time we had finished meeting Doc and joining up with Sara and Luke, everyone was beginning to stake their claim to spots to watch Jingle Bell Jingle Bam in front of the theater. We quickly walked over and grabbed a space very near to where we had been last year.

IMG_3674.JPG

Both the kids and I remembered that last year we had gotten popcorn for the show, so Luke and I sought out to get popcorn again. Unfortunately, the line was very, very long at the nearest popcorn stand. I figured it was just a popcorn stand, how long could this take? That was a poor mindset to have. Luke stood patiently beside me as the clock ticked closer and closer to the 6:30 start time. Once in a while he gave the -"Why is this taking so long?" Inside, I wanted to agree with him, but I tried to be the good parent and replied with something along the lines of "They need to help everyone in the order they got here."

As we stood in line, we saw more and more people coming in. When we had gotten in the popcorn line, we looked over and waved at Sara and Makayla. Now, we couldn't even see them due to all the people. My mind wondered if we'd be able to even get to them. Eventually, we made it to the front and ordered our snack sized popcorn. They handed us the popcorn just as they turned the lights off around us for the show.

Thankfully, Sara had put a battery operated strand of Christmas lights on our stroller, so it was relatively easy to find her in the darkness. It wasn't so easy to try to break through the crowd to get to her. "Excuse me, pardon me," became our refrain as we worked our way to the stroller. We ended up getting there just as the first fireworks were launched.

We settled Luke and Makayla with their popcorn and began the show.

IMG_3675.JPG

IMG_3676.JPG

IMG_3679.JPG

I'm convinced that my favorite nighttime show at Disney is whichever one I happen to be set to watch next. I like them all, and they all have different things that make them so great. I've never see the Star Wars spectacular, so I can't speak for that, but the thing that I love about Jingle Bell Jingle Bam is that you are standing in the middle of the show. Fireworks are going off all around you. Everywhere you look there is something to be seen. It is really unlike any other show at WDW in that aspect.

The show lasted about 15 minutes and ended with snow falling on us, which Luke and Makayla enjoyed. Sort of a make up for the Frozen sing-along show.

Once it ended, the logjam of people was intense. I guess that was to be expected given the crowd that was watching. We started off following the line of people that were nearest to us going towards the front, then realized about 5 minutes later that they were going towards the old Starring Rolls area where it is only wide enough for about 1 person. We changed our strategy at that point and made our way to the main walkway. This one was moving a bit faster.

Our super plan for the evening had been to grab dinner along Sunset Blvd following Jingle Bell Jingle Bam, then go in for the 8pm showing of Fantasmic. I was seriously starting to reconsider these plans. Shortly after getting onto the main concourse, we got separated. Luke had been sitting in the stroller with me pushing, and Makayla was walking and holding Sara's hand. Initially it was just one person that got between us. But one person became 2, and 2 became three, and soon enough I couldn't even see Sara. We both knew where we were heading, so I figured it wasn't a huge deal.

The bigger issue was that once we turned onto Sunset Boulevard, foot traffic had completely come to a stop. I tried to look around the people in front of me, wondering what on earth was causing this backlog.

Eventually I reached my breaking point. I pulled out my phone and called Sara, and asked if she just wanted to call it a night. This crowd of people was just too much. She responded "once you get out of the people watching the Tower of Terror show it's not too bad." :(:confused:. My response, "There's a tower of terror show going on?"

I had read about this projection show, but hadn't paid too much attention because it wasn't in our fans. Now as I looked up, I saw why people were not moving, they were taking in the show.

IMG_3680.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG

Photo credit goes to Sara for these. I certainly wasn't at a place to be taking photos. I did look ahead and see what was going on. What I soon realized was that if I got onto the sidewalk, people were moving a little bit. Luke and I got onto the sidewalk, and eventually came to a place where we could cross the boulevard and get into the local restaurant row near TOT.

Lyear

Original Poster
Our restaurant that evening was going to be Catalina Eddy's. They serve the individual pizzas Sara and I have come to know so well, starting from our time at Pizza Planet restaurant. We had thought this would be a fairly quick, enjoyable meal. Sara and Makayla were already in a very long line by the time Luke and I got to the restaurant. We parked the stroller and found them. We decided that I would remain in line, while Sara took the kids to find a table.

Unfortunately there weren't a lot of tables to be found due to the number of people around. A couple saw Sara looking around and offered to have her join them at their table. Sara was grateful to take them up on their hospitality. She called me and let me know where to find them as I remained in line.

The line was very full and was pretty hectic, but the cm's there did a great job. I have to tip my cap. It would have been impossible to make the process stress-free, but it at least went fairly smoothly. I actually ran into someone wearing a Hershey sweatshirt, so I found out they were from Hershey, PA, very close to our home in York.

At last our food came. Armed with 4 pizzas, drinks, salads, and desserts, I now began my obstacle course for the evening, getting a tray of food over to my family, who I only kind of knew where they were, without spilling any food. All the while having people dart right and left in front of me. Thankfully this story has a happy ending, and I delivered all the food to our table.

Dinner was pretty much a blur this night. Coursing around the crowds had gotten my nerves heightened, and it proved difficult to just turn them off with a flip of the switch. I remember Luke did a good job eating, but I think Makayla didn't eat that much. She did really enjoy the carrots that came with her meal. Sara was very happy to have a Frozen cupcake, and Luke was very happy to help her eat it. :)

IMG_1123.JPG

As we finished dinner, I pulled out my phone and checked the MDE app. Luke had been wanting to go on Toy Story Midway Mania ever since our first time on the ride. I got the crazy idea to take him back over and wait standby while Sara and Makayla checked out Fantasmic. It was showing as a 60 minute wait, but I figured with the shows starting it would be going down shortly.

I talked with Sara about this and she was in agreement. Luke was very excited. Our plan was to hit the nearby restrooms, then separate.

Lyear

Original Poster
Once both kids had a chance to use the potty, I took Luke towards TSMM, and Sara took Makayla over towards Fantasmic. Luke and I had just arrived in line when I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. I checked and it was Sara calling me. The noise inside the queue was very loud, but I made out that they were heading my way. We let a few people go ahead of us, and sure enough there walking up the line were Sara and Makayla. I probably should have expected what she said next.

As soon as they made it to the first entrance of Fantasmic, they had been met by CM's letting them know the stadium was full and they were only letting in guests with the dining package. With all the people around, we should have realized that this would happen. Anyway, she quickly turned and began back towards TSMM. She had called me a few times, but I didn't feel the ringing in my pocket until Luke and I were already in line.

The good news is that the wait was only about 25 minutes for us, even though there was a 40 minute wait posted. Luke wanted to ride with me, so Sara rode with Makayla. Once we had finished, Luke really, really wanted to do it again, but the park was set to close soon. Also, since the only exit from the park from TSMM at the moment is through the main hub, I wanted to make sure we got through it before the next fireworks show started at 8:30.

We turned away from TSMM and made it to the front of the park without incident. I kept us moving quickly even when we got past the crowds of people ready for the next show, because my goal was to get into the bus lines before the Fantasmic crowds let out. We made it to a relatively deserted bus stop and got in line, and for what seemed the first time this week a bus came up almost immediately for us.

As we began moving, Fantasmic had clearly ended and the hordes of people were heading to the bus stop. Luke commented -"wow, we got on the bus just in time." To which Sara responded, "Don't act like your dad." :):):)

Back at the hotel, we spent a bit of time in the main lobby. Sara had noticed they installed new bus wait-time monitors outside.

IMG_3682.JPG

IMG_3683.JPG

We decided to let Luke spend a little more time in the arcade, since that was such a favorite of his. We then walked through the pool area and Luke and I played a quick game of foosball.

IMG_3685.JPG

Once that had ended, we walked back towards our room from the lobby for the last time. We got the kids to bed, then Sara and I packed a little. The next day was departure day, but we had a lot of fun planned at Epcot before we left.

Lyear

Original Poster
Saturday, December 16th was our pack up day. It began very similarly to the rest, with a hint of sadness hanging over us. Sara and I woke up and got to packing things up, as well as getting the kids ready. The kids weren't quite as excited to get moving. Here's Luke with some massive bed head, watching TV as we get ready.

IMG_4421.JPG

Sara took a photo of our window decorations before taking it down.

IMG_4422.JPG

Once we were ready, I began taking bags and boxes to the car, while Luke played with his soccer ball wherever he could in our room. Sara managed to sneak a photo of me loading up the car without my knowledge.

IMG_4423.JPG

And a few photos of the kids to remember our last day. Crazy as always.
IMG_4427.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG

IMG_4428.JPG

I was able to occupy my mind with the task of packing the car, but before long everything was packed and it was time to leave for the last time. We piled into our very full car, and made our way to the main lobby. Checkout was painless, and once we had finished we stopped in the food court to fill our Disney mugs up with hot chocolate. And just like that, we were leaving All Star Music and on our way to Epcot.

Our win of the day came when we arrived at the bag check area just as they were opening up a whole new section of lines. First ones through!!! Score for us.

Again, I lamented over my lack of videotaping this trip by recording our entrance. For some reason, Luke fell in love with a leaf this morning and ended up holding it into the water of the fountain. Luckily he didn't end up going for a swim.

Our first stop of the day was at Living with the Land for our first fastpass. The fastpasses came fast and furious on our last day. Here we are entering. Makayla was so excited to wear her Elsa dress.

IMG_4430.JPG

With our fastpasses, we were able to get directly on the ride with no wait. It was only about a 20 minute wait at this point anyway.

IMG_4432.JPG

IMG_4434.JPG

IMG_4435.JPG

Once we had finished our green boat ride, it was time for our Royal Princess breakfast at Akershus in Norway.

Lyear

Original Poster
Over the past year Makayla has really grown in her knowledge of Disney princesses. She has several books about them, has watched their movies, and has just about every princess doll (that look a lot like barbies, in my opinion.) When it got to the point where she could name just about every one of them, Sara and I decided that it would be worth our time to do princess meals. We had started yesterday with the Bon Voyage breakfast at La Trattoria, and today we were moving to the big time in princess meet and greets with Akershus.

This is another dining reservation that was extremely hard to get. On the day our reservations opened, I was only able to get a 2:40pm "lunch" slot. I checked the website and app religiously over the next few days, and actually found a 10:50 am breakfast time available. I remember it well because it actually came open as we were preparing to watch fireworks on July 4th. I continued to check the website, but never found anything better than 10:50. I guess all things considered it's not a horrible time to eat, especially for our last day.

We arrived a few minutes ahead of our reservation time. It was a little weird because you check in and they seat you off in an open area, but it seemed like no one was being called. The kids found a fun way to pass the time by climbing rocks :facepalm:. Perfectly safe thing to do.

IMG_4437.JPG

After a bit, there was some growing concern around us that we had been forgotten. They had not called anyone in almost 10 minutes. With the fact that the restaurant would soon be going through a changeover from breakfast to lunch, I guess some of the concerns might have been legitimate. But just as these fears were growing, a cm came out and called just about everyone waiting at the same time. We followed him towards the entrance, which ran parallel with the queue for the Frozen Ever After ride.

Here we are waiting to go in.

IMG_4441.JPG

Once we got inside, we realized we were in a line to meet Belle. Belle did not come around to the tables, but greeted everyone as they entered.

EPCOT_NORWAYDINING1CHAR_20171216_407199268042.jpg

Once we had our photo taken, we were led to our table. Makayla was excited!
IMG_1128.JPG

And a few photos we took of our surroundings.

IMG_1129.JPG

We noticed all the families that entered around the same time as us were seated in the same area. It must be something they plan out.
IMG_1130.JPG

A view of the entrance, we were actually pretty close to it.
IMG_1131.JPG

Our server came by and let us know that the buffet was open for fruit, danishes, etc. Just as we were thinking of heading up, an announcement came over the speakers that the princesses were having their processional, and everyone was invited to join in. Soon Snow White was near our table ready to lead the boys and girls.

IMG_4444.JPG

Luke wasn't interested, he was busy being a boy. Makayla wanted to go, but I couldn't convince her to let go of my hand. She was only interested if someone came with her. I looked around and there were other parents walking, so I took my turn at being a pretty princess in the processional :p.

IMG_4447.JPG

IMG_4448.JPG

Makayla enjoyed it, so I guess that's what matters. ;)

Lyear

Original Poster
Once we had wrapped up, we took our turns going through the buffet, and later they brought a plate of cheesy potatoes and scrambled eggs to our table. We asked them to please leave the meat off the plate. :)

IMG_4452.JPG

IMG_4453.JPG

Cinderella was the first princess to visit us.

IMG_4457.JPG

IMG_4460.JPG

Makayla had become much better at meeting characters, especially the "human" ones, but she still wasn't interested in getting out of her chair.

Snow White was next. I reminded Luke of how much he loved the Seven Dwarves Mine Train, and Snow White asked him which dwarf was his favorite. Luke's face went blank :rolleyes:. Naming dwarves is not something we had practiced. He sheepishly answered "I don't know," and Snow White responded that it was alright, she couldn't pick a favorite either.

IMG_4463.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

Ariel was next. After our brief interaction with the Ariel at Trattoria al Forno, I was prepared with a question this time. I asked how Flounder was doing, since Makayla really likes Flounder from the movie. She responded that Flounder was working on his own singing audition and asked if Makayla had any song suggestions for him. I don't think Makayla fully understood the question, but at least we got a nice photo :).

IMG_4472.JPG

Lyear

Original Poster
Shortly after Ariel left, the music began playing for the princess processional again. This time Aurora came to our area to be the lead, and both Luke and Makayla were interested in walking, and of course wanted me to come with them. Sara was able to videotape our walk.

Somehow with all the responsibility of leading our procession party, Aurora had never come to our table. Shortly after we had sat down, one of the character helpers came by and asked if we had seen everyone, and we explained we had not seen her yet. He asked around a few other tables, and then made his way to a back room. Shortly after Aurora came out and apologized that she had passed by our table, but was more than happy to smile for a picture.

IMG_4475.JPG

IMG_4477.JPG

Once we had met Sleeping Beauty, our princess meal had come to a close. Looking back, I would say this was a great experience. The food was good, but the draw of the meal was the chance to meet the princesses and interact with them. I know Makayla loved meeting everyone, and even Luke came around after starting off being very boy and not wanting to meet princesses. This is certainly a meal we'll be doing again on our next trip.

We packed up our things and exited back into Epcot, but we weren't done meeting princesses for the day.

Lyear

Original Poster
The sadness on the last day is real :(

Looks like you had a nice breakfast meeting the princesses. My daughter is princess obsessed. She would love this!

Definitely would recommend it. We had a great time.

Someone is getting over her shyness.......

Max

It comes and goes. I think the immersion of seeing characters all day everyday in WDW helped, but next time we see a character we might be back to the beginning.

Lyear

Original Poster
As we exited Akershus, I quick check of the MDE app showed that Anna and Elsa only had a 25 minute wait. I suggested this to Sara and she was on board. She took plenty of photos of the inside of the cottage as we waited. Makayla was very excited to get to meet Elsa.

IMG_4478.JPG

IMG_4479.JPG

There's plenty of family portraits throughout the inside.
IMG_4482.JPG

IMG_4483.JPG

The inside queue area was very wide open. It almost felt like a museum. There was so much to look at, it really didn't feel like we were waiting in line.
IMG_4484.JPG

IMG_4485.JPG

IMG_4486.JPG

IMG_4488.JPG

Lyear

Original Poster
Finally, the big moment came. We were led into a room and Anna was the first to greet us. Makayla snuck a glance at Elsa as we met her. Luke wasn't very excited to be meeting princesses.

EPCOT_FROZENCHARC2_20171216_407201770555.jpg

Anna was very interactive. She was telling us all about the small snowmen they had running around the castle, and how Olaf was trying to come up with different nose ideas for them. Luke suggested an acorn nose, which she thought was a fabulous idea. Great meet and greet with Anna.

Apparently Makayla's shy look of the day involves picking her nose :p
EPCOT_FROZENCHARC2_20171216_407201770565.jpg

Then it was the time Makayla had been waiting for.

EPCOT_FROZENCHARC1_20171216_407201663438.jpg

Elsa right away commented that it looked like her little twin was coming. Makayla was quick to point out the little picture of Elsa on her dress, and Elsa said that she should get a small picture of Makayla to wear around. Finally I reminded Makayla of seeing Elsa in the parade at MK earlier in the week, and Makayla remembered that Elsa had waived at her. Elsa replied that she thought Makayla looked familiar and remembered seeing her. Great interaction, and one that was filled with magic for Makayla.

EPCOT_FROZENCHARC1_20171216_407201663428.jpg

EPCOT_FROZENCHARC1_20171216_407201663442.jpg

When we got outside, Luke announced he had to use the bathroom, so Sara took the time to take some photos of Makayla. She still had a giant smile on her face :).

IMG_4491.JPG

IMG_4493.JPG

Lyear

Original Poster
After leaving Norway, we stopped in at the Mexican pavilion for a quick trip on the "Donald boat ride." Luke was in a much better mood after leaving the princesses behind. This was our 3rd time this trip riding the ride, but he was still giggling at the funny things Donald was up to.

It was then time for our Soarin fastpasses. Luke was willing to go on it again. He and Sara went first, while Makayla and I went on a journey into imagination. She decided that Figment was silly. To this day she will bring up "the purple dinosaur...what was his name?" We'll reminder her it was Figment. "Oh yeah, Figment. Figment is silly."

After this it was Luke and my turn for Soarin, while Makayla and Sara viewed the Circle of Life film. Luke and I got the bottom row on the right hand side. Not the best view by far, but Luke commented that he was happy not to go too high.

Once we ended, I texted Sara and she had made her way outside and was over by the imagination pavilion. She had been taking Makayla to see the leaping fountains, but since Luke and I were finished, we met up. In what has become a last day tradition, we did the Chase visa meet and greet. Luke was the first of us in the line, and just as Mickey and Goofy were saying goodbye to the last family, he rushed up and blindsided Mickey with a big hug. Mickey jumped at the unexpected contact, but quickly returned the hug.

EPCOT_VISAMEET_20171216_407205998122.jpg

EPCOT_VISAMEET_20171216_407205998124.jpg

Makayla was even willing to get into the picture with some non-human characters.

EPCOT_VISAMEET_20171216_407205998127.jpg

EPCOT_VISAMEET_20171216_407205998129.jpg

We walked out to the leaping fountain area, and both kids were excited to go have fun.

IMG_4497.JPG

IMG_4498.JPG

IMG_4499.JPG

Luke ended up getting pretty wet.
IMG_3691.JPG

Lyear

Original Poster
Being wet ended up not being such a bad thing, because it was time for our final fastpass of our trip, at Nemo. He was a little cold as we waited in line, but didn't complain too much.

Once we finished Nemo, Sara wanted to run to Mouse Gear to get some last minute stuff. She also bought about 8 packages of Goofy candy since we still had so many snack credits left. We're still eating Goofy candy in our house 2 and a half months later. Luke, Makayla and I found a semi-empty spot outside of the Coral Reef restaurant and played some tag, then grabbed ice cream bars from a nearby vendor.

Once we had finished our snack we met up with Sara in front of the fountain and made the sad turn towards the exit.

IMG_3692.JPG

So long Epcot. So long WDW.

We made the long walk to the car, and the kids settled in for their long car ride home, complete with a snack popcorn for each.

IMG_3693.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

As we pulled out of the parking lot, I got an alert on my phone. It was the WDWtoday twitter feed notifying me that they had caught up to CM Rick from MK and notified him of our compliment. It seemed like a perfect close to our trip.

The ride back was, thankfully, fairly uneventful. Sara got to experience a very sketchy 7-11 bathroom during a gas stop. We made it to Savannah before stopping for the night, and the next day traveled most of the day. Luke kept his Mickey soccer ball with him the entire trip and made sure to bring it at each rest stop.

IMG_3694.JPG

IMG_3695.JPG

We made it back to Pennsylvania about 8:30 on Sunday, December 17th. Sara had to wake up early the following day. I got Luke on the school bus, and took Makayla, to daycare. She had a nice surprise waiting for her.

IMG_3696.JPG

That ends our 2017 trip report. As I sit here, it's hard to come up with individual moments that stood out, because the entire trip was so great. I'll always remember Makayla being so excited about Elsa waving to her in the parade, and how excited Luke was to go on the seven dwarves mine train, and tell me all about it as we used child swap and I got to go with him for his second ride. It was a magical trip, and we can't wait to go on our next one.

We're pretty sure we're going to move our next trip back a month. Going in December is great, but it makes the Christmas season back home feel pretty rushed. So as it stands right now, we think we're going to go in the late January, early February time frame of 2019. So in other words, right around the time the Eagles are winning their second Super Bowl :D:D:D.

Finally, a GIANT thank you to everyone who followed along with the encouraging comments and likes. It makes the task of writing a trip report so much easier. We hope to see you again in early 2019.

amjt660

Premium Member
Great wrap up to a wonderful trip
Thank you for sharing
It is great to see the progression of you your two children through Disney experiences
Keep in touch and please do a PTR when your 2019 plan become more solidified

Max

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Really enjoyed reading this year’s trip report...so fun to see how much your kids have grown....so happy you are raising them with Disney love!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom