Trip Report **COMPLETED** Our 50th Anniversary Trip

Hi everyone!
I am super behind on my trip reports (sorry).....I have two trips to write about so better get started with one :hilarious:

Who?
The usual suspects - My Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan)
tempImagefJ10TG.jpg

When?
September 30- October 3

Where?
The Grand Floridian
We wanted to stay somewhere where we could walk to the Magic Kingdom!

Why?
The 50th Anniversary ! We honestly did not know if we were going to be able to go on this trip up until 1 week before. We had canceled our August trip due to COVID numbers so I watched closely and waited for permission from work to go. I finally got the green light to go after the numbers down there dropped quite a bit!

September 30, 2021
We got up at 3:15 am, got ready, and headed to the airport. Check in and security were easy and we made it to our gate with plenty of time to spare.
tempImageTXazrj.jpg

tempImageE70DGf.jpg

We did not think we would be able to eat anything because the restaurants have not been opening at the airport very early but thankfully one did and we were able to grab some bagels!
tempImageVjnmar.jpg

tempImageT9mc0Q.jpg

We boarded the plane on time
tempImage3o9b9R.jpg

Magic Bands!
tempImagepSYryu.jpg

tempImageOICsVh.jpg

We always play with these things our earplanes come in and always get into a fit of hysteria over them *I'm sure it's the 3 am wakeup calls :hilarious:
tempImage5NIJFH.jpg

Our flight was super easy and we were 30 minutes early!
Loved the fonorail wrap!!
7C22C2B0-778A-483A-8E7D-C851CE2C0196.jpeg

Next up: more traveling

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Sorry for the delay (again). My sister got married this last weekend so it has been pretty chaotic (in a good way) !

Day 2 October 1 2021 - 50th Anniversary
We got up at 6 am, got ready and had some breakfast in the room.
We were so happy to be able to walk to the Magic Kingdom
tempImageGrKz6Q.jpg
I love how the monorails light up the color of the monorail now. It is so simple but so cool!
E3972609-970B-4203-AB68-B82960D641A5.jpeg

Anyway we walked into the MK around 7 am and smack into a crowd. I was kind of hoping they would only open all of Main Street to resort guests but that was not the case. Anyone who had a park reservation could go in and shop. The line for the Emporium was nuts and all the virtual line spots were filled!
tempImagevx1lU4.jpg

We just grabbed a map and we essentially did not know what to do so we wandered around.
tempImagemDsanB.jpg

They did open the rides to resort guests before 7:30 so we headed to Space Mountain.
It was essentially a walk on.
tempImageZWrcqX.jpg

DCFFD789-3464-4A01-BC96-87FB9EE4EB43.jpeg

tempImageJ8RYFJ.jpg

Missed the camera :hilarious:
34B75C10-17D1-4A1D-B259-8ECDE7119A78.jpeg

Buzz was up next which was also a walk on!
tempImagetE2xdv.jpg

206B011D-1644-47A6-B839-2F8F1E417A94.jpeg

Next up: more MK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
We stopped for a PPP next
1F6BDBA1-18D0-4EA1-8CD8-800D45EE489E.jpeg

9DD9ED6E-DE2F-4C92-B687-88B272F39A66.jpeg

We made our way through the crowds to watch some of the new opening show. It was pretty meh. I feel like the crowd collectively felt disappointed by it considering it was the 50th. I think everyone anticipated something special but there was nothing.
Anyway...we decided to head to 7DMT after this
tempImagezlWX6a.jpg

A light for you...
16C82664-3E35-4A97-B945-7281CE95CD1B.jpeg

We actually only waited 20 minutes and that was with a brief shut down!
tempImagePPWPMa.jpg

E3451C6C-650E-48BB-8A52-4A9C6830A042.jpeg

Then we took some more photos...
tempImageblHY4O.jpg

tempImaget6eUvl.jpg

We headed over towards the hub to stalk the GMA filming after this.
We saw Bob Chapek while we were watching
34D97252-D752-416F-9994-8117F634EC2A.jpeg

088AC3D5-7A52-46C8-9D57-F8FEB600EAAF.jpeg

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
I spy Minnie
tempImagehJ8Kju.jpg

We were only stalking the GMA filming so that we could say hi to Sam ! (I can not remember her name on here to tag her!!)
tempImagejAi2vw.jpg

It was so nice to see her after so many years!
She actually introduced us to Ginger Zee which was so sweet and she did not need to do that!
tempImage7ZZ572.jpg

Ginger was so nice!
Anyway after this we floated around a bit...
tempImageGl9mtF.jpg

We got a pretzel snack
tempImagefXbHPk.jpg

And took some water photos
tempImageqz83Ow.jpg

tempImagebt5CIf.jpg

Haunted Mansion was up next
84B2224A-0E35-4A26-8EF7-D5FD0D71550C.jpeg

37EE305E-AD13-4927-AAA3-C475695C6B46.jpeg

3747CA42-CBA3-4C00-ADF2-A20FA27B071A.jpeg

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
We did not very long for this either!
tempImage5mMZlv.jpg

205FD7B2-2512-4817-A177-22549DE917A5.jpeg

We saw the new calvacade on the way out
540A630A-DD02-4CD0-B57F-B51F2889E623.jpeg

Then more photos...
tempImagePztP4p.jpg

tempImageXwqgNe.jpg

This is where our totally magical day went downhill a bit. We mobile ordered at Cosmic Rays so we checked in at 10:25. Well we waited....and waited...and waited. Half the problem was that they were selling Mickey Mouse sippers that were limited so a ton of mobile orders were just for this. We were just trying to eat. I asked a CM at one point and he said they were about 45 minutes behind. At the 60 minute mark we had it. I asked a different CM what would happen if I wanted to leave and she said if we walked out and did not pick up our food we would not be charged. Perfect. So we walked out the door (that we actually were not even supposed to be let in) and no lie as soon as we walked out I got the alert our food was ready so I walked back in.
We ordered chicken nuggets and the 1971 Meal (Barbecue Chicken Sandwich topped with Kale Slaw served with Walt's Chili & Cheese Fries, Fountain Beverage and a 50th Anniversary Themed Cake Pop). They ended up giving us 2 cake pops probably because of the wait.
IMG_1568 3.jpeg

The food was (unsurprisingly) cold. The whole meal was an overall disappointment. I was not happy spending an hour of my time waiting for a quick service meal. They were clearly not prepared for the 50th crowds. I heard that almost all the quick service restaurants had the same issues all day.
7DE5C2C2-16D0-4FFF-965A-5EA097FFB3E8.jpeg

tempImageFq7U1q.jpg

Anyway...the teacups were up next
tempImagejTUdCu.jpg

tempImage24lBHR.jpg

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
tempImagepzUJcC.jpg

After the teacups we headed to Dumbo.
tempImage4UH0Od.jpg

After Dumbo I heard someone call my name and it was @Ears to Disney !!
We were planning on trying to meet up with them at some point so this worked out great!
tempImage4jL0Xy.jpg

tempImagecoazqL.jpg

My 716/Buffalo pals!! The best ! We chatted for quite a bit about the 50th chaos crowds!
We ....took....some more photos after this...
tempImagevfoKtX.jpg

tempImageVOr50V.jpg

tempImageSaFvWR.jpg

tempImageEuHakn.jpg

tempImageRDxWmx.jpg

tempImage7iKsSj.jpg

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
tempImageSog4qk.jpg

tempImageupuAin.jpg

E06EAA85-B83F-4467-85AC-0656EECE1FE8.jpeg

tempImageAFAaJZ.jpg

tempImageE1CKT1.jpg

4687C9BD-B213-449C-A3B4-0DE3DE2C4A9D.jpeg

A36B43D5-0934-4256-BA68-4810D565A19E.jpeg

And a PPP
942693E5-1AC4-41A6-A602-FED05EBD6A5D.jpeg

We actually ended up deciding to wait in the Emporium shopping line. We only waited 20 minutes and got some nice stuff (I will share later in a post). It was very crowded in there though so we were happy to get in and out as fast as we could!
We decided to take a break after this.
We got out just in time as it was almost park hopping time
tempImageEDD7tv.jpg

They actually closed park hopping to MK not too long after this! I was lucky I made a MK park reservation on a whim last year!
42A9D692-C354-4F28-970E-BA6B42C785C0.jpeg

Next up: Break time!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
My sister made is these cute 50th Anniversary bags :)
tempImagePL5nNX.jpg

tempImagessGxnC.jpg

When we got back to the room I took a photoshoot of our purchases :joyfull:
A hat
tempImagetoN4ow.jpg

This cute soap that is in the shape of Mickey Mouse, a keychain and a pin
tempImagevVdpew.jpg

A magnet
tempImageWQmPRV.jpg

Starbucks cup. I was not planning on buying this but it landed in my hands by a CM so sure...
tempImageR3wxpg.jpg

Actually let's be honest I was not planning on buying any of this stuff :hilarious:
And these cute ears that light up :)
tempImageU9vGxc.jpg

Then it was pool time!
I love this pool at the Grand Floridian. I know it is simple but the ambiance is next level.
tempImageq1h2Rv.jpg

6522EEB1-4D53-4543-8BF4-24E07BEA3042.jpeg

Next up: more randomness

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
We had dining reservations at Trail's End (because we could not find anything at the MK even 60 days out), but we had our reservations about going there. Mostly we really wanted to get back to the MK and we were fearful we would be there for a long time and the boat situation would hold us up.
Anyway...we ended up ordering room service instead.
We ordered the fried chicken with potatoes (they were under the chicken) and spinach.
tempImagePRT80l.jpg

And Neapolitan Cheesecake
tempImageubqeMx.jpg

It was SO delicious!! We were happy to enjoy our peaceful meal in the room :)
After this we walked back to the MK
tempImagedJoxbv.jpg

3A1D5100-41BF-45E8-BA59-06B906378FEE.jpeg

It was PACKED and people were already lined up for fireworks which was nuts. At this point it was at least 3 hours before fireworks. However, it worked to our advantage because everyone was so interested in the fireworks that the wait times were low.
Everything was 15 minutes or less for the most part!
Winnie the Pooh was up first.
tempImageaB3rxC.jpg

tempImagejlhUNQ.jpg

Then we headed over to the Carousel
tempImage44FzBN.jpg

tempImageqB69KI.jpg

tempImageEzagQ3.jpg

tempImageQpPvS7.jpg

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Yay for Magical meetups! I recognize Sam's face - it seems like it has been several years?! And I am in LOVE with your 50th outfits!!
Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Aw thanks! Yes I have not seen Sam on here in awhile! I just communicate with her via text and Instagram now :hilarious:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
My photos just keep going downhill this whole evening sorry :hilarious:
IASW was next
tempImageZLh5F8.jpg

tempImageQtNOcQ.jpg

tempImagecHI82t.jpg

C7D7D5C7-2FB0-475D-A48E-8A7CB01BAB34.jpeg

Then BTMR
A light for you...
tempImagekfd2QW.jpg

tempImagelz3tlL.jpg

POTC next
Another light...
tempImagePiktOP.jpg

5DFF48E2-6B86-4411-B7A1-87496A6C72BE.jpeg

After this we had another meet up!! We were so happy to see @blreinsel again! It felt like it had been so long since we last saw her! We chatted for a bit then went along our way again :)
tempImagestpXf6.jpg

We decided to hop on Aladdin after this since it was a walk on
tempImageMYmoF5.jpg

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
We got to stay on again so ride number 2!
tempImageNRYIwb.jpg

We had a choice of heading to watch fireworks or riding Jungle Cruise. We elected to ride Jungle Cruise because it's an opening day attraction and we figured we would just watch the fireworks from all the way back on Main Street anyway.
tempImageHZfqOf.jpg

THE BACKSIDE OF WATER!
0A4C068F-6216-4F74-AEC6-110FEBC63B6E.jpeg

After this we walked towards the front of the park. It was so crowded that we were not even given the option to go to the hub - we were directed to the front of the park via a backstage area. We got to the front and it was so crowded that we got incredibly COVID nervous.
We ended up going to the Train Station to watch.
tempImagetNtUla.jpg

tempImageTxEBTJ.jpg

tempImageiER83A.jpg

We did hop into the park for part of the fireworks to see if we could see the projections from all the way down Main Street.
4BE91E60-B9E6-4A6F-BFFB-BBEF5C4F1F15.jpeg

3415CD2D-C44C-4CDB-A013-4F86BAD0C3D5.jpeg

Ok...in full disclosure I did not see most of the projections but .....these fireworks are AWFUL. The music is terrible, the fireworks themselves are bad and I just expected way more for the 50th. I was so disappointed. I was not Happily Ever Afters biggest fan but these fireworks are dismal in comparison. Sam told me they were bad (they saw the preview with GMA the night before) but I was hoping maybe for some reason they weren't complete when she saw them. Turns out she was right :hilarious:
I got a lot of Instagram messages confirming my feelings so I know I am not alone!
Anyway - fireworks and lunch quick service mishap aside we had the best time celebrating the 50th Anniversary !

Next up: Day 3

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
We got up at 6:30, got ready and headed down to Gasparilla Grill for breakfast.
My Mom got Mickey waffles and bacon
tempImageRl3abr.jpg

I got a side of bacon and a side of tater tots
tempImageXD0xCm.jpg

tempImage8wNkqV.jpg

We were planning on taking an Uber to DHS but the bus was supposed to come in a few minutes so we headed to the bus stop instead.
My Mom was making this face because she was wearing a Star Wars shirt and she does not actually like Star Wars :hilarious:
tempImagePKlqsb.jpg

tempImageVnwhsZ.jpg

tempImageeEKrJm.jpg

I spy the Skyliner
tempImage3ROH1k.jpg

We were in the park and at a Rope Drop by 7:55. I thought the park opened to resort guests at 8 for some reason but it was actually 8:30 :joyfull:
tempImagelh0eBr.jpg

tempImageIUDQ66.jpg

The park opened right at 8:30 am for us.
tempImageTfvKHE.jpg

Next up: more DHS

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom