Trip Report COMPLETED - Let's do the Time Warp (to 2013) and go find my liver!!

PART ONE - THE JUNE TRIP THAT NEVER HAPPENED

Well......this is probably not a good idea, just cause I don't have a lot of time right now, but most things I do are not good ideas, so this will fit right in perfectly with the rest of my life.

But........ since my 2015 trip report was pretty fun to write, I've since realized that I have enough pics from 2013 that I could write a sequel. Errr......prequel.

However, be warned, that with the exception of Godfather II and Aliens and maybe a few more that I'm not recalling right now, sequels and prequels generally suck, so don't expect too much.

Of course, this particular trip had at least three major disasters, one of which takes place right away, so at least you can expect a bit of drama.

So with that in mind, travel back in time with me two whole years, folks, to the delightful 2013. Miley Cyrus twerked. Anne Hathaway won an Oscar. Reese Witherspoon got arrested for drunk driving, and Lohan went to rehab. As you may recall, it was a VERY eventful year.

And over on Long Island, Phil and Buddy had been saving for the trip to end all trips for over a year. To remind you, Phil does not agree to go to Disney easily, and every time he does, it's like a freaking miracle. He acts very put upon, like it is a great hell for him to go. He acts like he's just agreed to eat a scorpion covered in grape jelly.

This time, we had decided on Yacht Club for June 2013. After a year of planning and saving and reserving restaurants, and waiting, it was finally the day before the trip. And then my phone rang at work.

It was Phil.

His 90++++ grandmother had just passed away.

Trip instantly cancelled.

So that's the end of the trip report folks, thanks for reading.

Kidding.

So, Phil's grandmother had been almost catatonic for a very long time, and although we were not at all expecting this to happen the exact day before we were supposed to leave, we knew it was a possibility. For that reason, we had flight insurance, and that was refunded, and although we did not have insurance for the room (not sure if that even exists), Disney refunded every last penny within 24 hours. They were so cool about the whole thing.

This was a very difficult situation - no one ever wants a Disney vacation replaced by a funeral - Basically happiness replaced by sadness. It was completely awful on so many levels.

sad buddy.JPG

Yeah, that's a horrible pic but we were feeling horrible.

Luckily this guy was there to try to cheer us up. He was secretly happy, because he wasn't going to get left alone with a cat sitter for five nights.

sad spooky.JPG

Phil and I were both really, seriously sad. Obviously about the death of his grandmother, but also about the ruined trip. I thought we needed something to cheer us up and as it happened, Cinderella (not the Disney version) was playing on Broadway that weekend, and I was able to get discount tickets for about fifth row center. This was kind of a life saver It was uplifting and magical and.....oh, well, please, enjoy for yourselves:

Yeah, that'll do it.

I honestly didn't think we were going to reschedule the trip, but after the show, we were feeling a bit better, and Phil said "Why don't we reschedule it for September?"

And we did.

:)

Coming up -
Phil's birthday is in September and he milks it for every drop
Another insane drink around the world. Bristolsmom/Buzzkillington - beware!
Not So Scary turns scary when two adult males dress like Michael and John from Peter Pan
And the infamous lock out happens!

It all happens this season on.......a Disney trip report

;)

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Totally blotto (umm, I mean boffo, yeah...) trip report. LOVE IT.

Phil does look way too happy for a guy who has to be dragged to Disney. Captain's Grille is awesome, it's one of my faves and a hidden gem. Dinner's great, too. Didn't the breakfast birthday cupcake count as birthday cake??

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
You know I hate to nitpick, but you guys seemed to have missed AMERICA and CHINA on your drink around the world excursion ;).
Damn, you caught me!
;)
But actually we did do both of those. Unfortunately the pics were so completely hideous that I had to destroy the evidence long ago, and from some of the bad pics I've posted so far, you'll know that for me to destroy a Disney pic, it means that we both looked like the walking zombie of Bella Legosi. In other words, you don't wanna see that.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
But actually we did do both of those. Unfortunately the pics were so completely hideous that I had to destroy the evidence long ago, and from some of the bad pics I've posted so far, you'll know that for me to destroy a Disney pic, it means that we both looked like the walking zombie of Bella Legosi. In other words, you don't wanna see that.

Oh yes, we do! :p

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
PART EIGHT - ANIMALS AND MOVIE STUDIOS

So you have to remember this was two years ago, almost to the day, and we drink around the worlders don't have too many brain cells still spinning around in our heads. So this is just my way of saying that I'm just letting the pictures lead us on this little journey, and based on the photographic evidence, the next day we went to Animal Kingdom. Here is Phil making his debut in the jungle:

Phil jungle.JPG

Why, what's that in his hand, I wonder? Free answer. It's not hot chocolate.

So.......my pictures on this day seem fairly limited but I'm guessing we did the Safari, Dinosaur, and probably the mouse coaster before Phil declared that he was too hot to do anything else except find an air conditioned room. Luckily, we had reservations at Yak and Yeti and it was time to go there!

And here is Phil feeding attitude.

Phil Yeti.JPG

"How dare you drag me to this insanely humid, broiling hellhole" is what this look says. Oh, and also, "I drank 13,000 drinks on my birthday yesterday and I should be in Betty Ford right now, and not in a Disney jungle". Note that he's still working that birthday button. They gave him some sort of free dessert here but I can't recall exactly what it was.

And here I am......

Budy Yeti.JPG

Yeah, I thought I was entitled to that after Drink Around the World day. Well, what are you going to do? Clearly, these two are our role models:
francewine6401.jpg

So annnnnnnnnyway..........I honestly don't recall too many details about the meal at Yak and Yeti except that it was nice to be out of the heat, and that guy behind me in the above pic (the pic above Patsy and Edina) was our waiter, and Phil birthday buttoned himself into some sort of free thing. Here we are after the meal right before being deposited out into the African heat again:

Phil Buddy Yeti.JPG

Oh yeah, and Phil put lunch on his band and it was charged to his card. Right?

Right.

And I will pick this up again in a few minutes, after I reboot my consistently freezing computer.

;)

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
So anyway, soon after our lunch at Yak and Yeti, Phil declared the day at Animal Kingdom to be OVER. He wasn't so out of line this time. The place was a broiling, hellish green inferno. Kind of like Eli Roth's Green Inferno horror movie that opens this Friday except that no one gets eaten alive on our trip.

We high-tailed it back to the Yacht Club as fast as possible and went diving straight into Stormalong Bay. Since I have no pictures of this, please to enjoy this photo of two kittens on a boogey board:

bengals on a boogie board in the pool.jpg

Yeah, I know. I'm a one trick pony. Send me back to Russia.

We had planned to do extra magic hours at Hollywood Studios, and we had a dinner at Brown Derby scheduled prior to that, so after we swam all over Stormalong Bay for a pretty long time, it was time to walk to the Studio. Here is Phil in his tasteful Brown Derby attire:

Phil Yacht.JPG

And here I am:

Buddy walk to Studios.JPG

Yeah, that's right. I'm a disgraceful pig who dared to wear a tee-shirt to a table service restaurant in a theme park. As a matter of fact, it's the same shirt I wore to Animal Kingdom prior that day! For this reason, the people seated near me will obviously not be able to properly digest their Cobb Salads. Rant and sarcasm over. I'm just recalling a few threads on here where people were claiming to be all offended when they saw people not dressed properly at restaurants. But anyway, here is some more Phil:

Phil walk.JPG

And soon we were there, at MGM, I mean Hollywood Studios, I mean....errr...whatever it is called these days, we were there. And so was everyone else.

crowded.jpg

Okay I don't know what the above pic is of, and I don't want to know. Full disclosure - I didn't take it. But that is how crowded it felt when we arrived. It was mobbed insanity. And I thought September was supposed to be quiet??

Well anyway, lucky for us, we had a dinner reservation at Brown Derby about to begin, and here you will find a not very happy Phil, due to the crowds that we just experienced, and the scorching hot walk we just took:

Phil derby.JPG

Oh he's miserable, and that's not acting for the camera either like some of the others.

And as for me.....welll......sometimes it is best to just be photographed behind a wine glass.

Buddy Derby.JPG

Phil calmed himself down during dinner which consisted of all sorts of things that I can't remember but I think a Cobb Salad was involved and a free dessert fro Phil probably made an appearance.

And he put the check on his Magic Band that then went to his credit card on file. Right?

Right.

As soon as we finished, we were excited because we were sure the park was going to clear out for extra magic hours and we would walk on all the rides.

That didn't happen. It was more mobbed than ever, and this park doesn't seem to handle major crowds very well. To make a long story short, we decided to call it a night and we left. Thankfully, our resort was not too far from this joint, so the evening was not a total loss:

Dueling Pianos.JPG

And with that, I'm going to call it a night, and in the next portion, two adult men with less than adult maturity are going to dress like Michael and John from Peter Pan and have a fantastic and fantastically hot Not So Scary Halloween Party.

Attachments

• Phil Yacht.JPG
    Phil Yacht.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
O.k. Your "found" pic of the two of you at China did not disappoint! ;) We'll accept that as a deuce reference to the America pavilion "scene" as well! :D

By the way, loved that you threw in the pic of Patsy and Edina (Ab Fab was one of the funniest shows ever on TV). :happy:

For this part of your trip, I can't blame Phil for flipping out at the extremely hot weather. I despise heat and humidity myself, and it can really cut into the fun. As for AK, I usually go for a morning and leave because of the heat, and then return the next morning for another half day, until the heat drives me out again. DHS can also be brutal due to the lack of shaded areas. Yet, one of the bright spot of Phil's trip was that he was smart enough to get as much mileage out of his birthday pin as a guy could!! Good for him! :p

Side note here: is your computer freezing up on other web sites? I'm only asking because I know that I've (and others) have had problems recently with some of the ads just on here (script issues) freezing up the computer, at random times. Just wondering if that was your issue as well, or if it was something unrelated.

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
O.k. Your "found" pic of the two of you at China did not disappoint! ;) We'll accept that as a deuce reference to the America pavilion "scene" as well! :D

By the way, loved that you threw in the pic of Patsy and Edina (Ab Fab was one of the funniest shows ever on TV). :happy:

For this part of your trip, I can't blame Phil for flipping out at the extremely hot weather. I despise heat and humidity myself, and it can really cut into the fun. As for AK, I usually go for a morning and leave because of the heat, and then return the next morning for another half day, until the heat drives me out again. DHS can also be brutal due to the lack of shaded areas. Yet, one of the bright spot of Phil's trip was that he was smart enough to get as much mileage out of his birthday pin as a guy could!! Good for him! :p

Side note here: is your computer freezing up on other web sites? I'm only asking because I know that I've (and others) have had problems recently with some of the ads just on here (script issues) freezing up the computer, at random times. Just wondering if that was your issue as well, or if it was something unrelated.
It just freezes on this site, and usually just when I'm trying to upload photos. It gets slower and slower with each picture until I finally have to just shut it down and reboot. Not sure if the ads have anything to do with it or not....
:(

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It just freezes on this site, and usually just when I'm trying to upload photos. It gets slower and slower with each picture until I finally have to just shut it down and reboot. Not sure if the ads have anything to do with it or not....
:(

Yes, they are causing the problems. Also are you using Firefox? Firefox seems to have a real problem with script. I'm trying Chrome now to see if it might help a bit. I had to shut down my computer 4 times tonight; not sure which ad is the culprit.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
PART NINE - HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS, TAKE TWO!

So, since it was impossible to get near a single ride at the Hollywood Studios Extra Magic Hours the previous night, we had to rearrange some plans, and that started with the cancellation of Blizzard Beach the next morning, which I was totally fine with, but that meant we had to make some really quick restaurant and fast pass reservations. It somehow all worked out, and we were off. Our first stop was at this oversize guitar:

Phil guitar.JPG

After twirling through Rockin' Roller Coaster, it was time for some refreshments, and we ended up at the Tune In Lounge at the Prime Time Cafe:

electric lemonade.JPG

Oh look! The button is still on. His birthday was over two days ago, by the way.

If I'm not mistaken, that thing he is drinking is called an Electric Lemonade....or Dad's Electric Lemonade.....or something. I'm sure I'm having something equally reprehensible just off camera.

I would have been just fine having lunch at Prime Time, but Phil hates it because he got scolded for not eating his veggies the last time he got dragged there, so, off we went to the Sci Fi Dine In:

Phil Sci Fi.JPG

It's pitch black in there, but I think you will still be able to see that Phil is trying to drive a steering wheel-less car out of the lot. It might have something to do with that empty beer glass in front of him. Which begs the question - why are they feeding beers to the driver of the car?!?

By the way - yes - he got a free thing here once again with that birthday button. I want to say it was a bag of candy or something, but who knows.

We then had a Fast Pass to this thing, which I am sure you will all recognize. Hey, why are all these pics of Phil?!?!?!

Toy Story Phil.JPG

Annnnd the winner is............

Phil wins.JPG

Phil beat me by kind of a lot. Grrrrrr............

We also did Tower of Terror and Great Movie Ride, but no pics of that, and then it was time to get out of the park and head back to Yacht Club to change into our costumes. It was Not So Scary Halloween Party night!

Back to you with that in just a little bit.

Tony the Tigger

PART NINE - HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS, TAKE TWO!

So, since it was impossible to get near a single ride at the Hollywood Studios Extra Magic Hours the previous night, we had to rearrange some plans, and that started with the cancellation of Blizzard Beach the next morning, which I was totally fine with, but that meant we had to make some really quick restaurant and fast pass reservations. It somehow all worked out, and we were off. Our first stop was at this oversize guitar:

View attachment 111788

After twirling through Rockin' Roller Coaster, it was time for some refreshments, and we ended up at the Tune In Lounge at the Prime Time Cafe:

View attachment 111789

Oh look! The button is still on. His birthday was over two days ago, by the way.

If I'm not mistaken, that thing he is drinking is called an Electric Lemonade....or Dad's Electric Lemonade.....or something. I'm sure I'm having something equally reprehensible just off camera.

I would have been just fine having lunch at Prime Time, but Phil hates it because he got scolded for not eating his veggies the last time he got dragged there, so, off we went to the Sci Fi Dine In:

View attachment 111791

It's pitch black in there, but I think you will still be able to see that Phil is trying to drive a steering wheel-less car out of the lot. It might have something to do with that empty beer glass in front of him. Which begs the question - why are they feeding beers to the driver of the car?!?

By the way - yes - he got a free thing here once again with that birthday button. I want to say it was a bag of candy or something, but who knows.

We then had a Fast Pass to this thing, which I am sure you will all recognize. Hey, why are all these pics of Phil?!?!?!

View attachment 111792

Annnnd the winner is............

View attachment 111793

Phil beat me by kind of a lot. Grrrrrr............

We also did Tower of Terror and Great Movie Ride, but no pics of that, and then it was time to get out of the park and head back to Yacht Club to change into our costumes. It was Not So Scary Halloween Party night!

Back to you with that in just a little bit.

We *love* Tune-In Lounge!! But we don't drink Dad's fairy lemonade. The regular drinks are great (ouch!) the bartenders are great (especially Julie - just when you think you're about to leave, she refills your glass!) and you can order whatever is served at the 50's Prime Time Cafe and eat it at the bar without anyone yelling at you. Trust us, give it another shot.

Been meaning to try Sci Fi Dine-in. Had a rez once and canceled. Do they have beer & likka?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom