• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Trip Report *COMPLETED* I've climbed the mountain, I've crossed the river, and I'm almost there!

bee

Original Poster
Day 12: Friday, December 28

Today the plan was for the three ladies to take a day trip to Nagasaki. We had breakfast and home and then hit the road!

More coffee for the car!

In Sasebo there is a theme park called Huis Ten Bosch (from the time of Dutch colonization) with some beautiful hotels (which look even more beautiful when it's not overcast!). Here is some more info about it. The photo above is Hotel Okura.

In Nagasaki proper...

The city has lots of trolleys and, unlike the San Francisco trolleys, they are actually used by locals for transportation and not just tourists!

Cruise ship!

Our first destination was an old Catholic church. We parked in a garage nearby and started seeing ads for it:

On our way...

MOUTH OF TRUTH!

Up next: Two lesbians and a Mormon walk into a Catholic church...

bee

Original Poster
Advertisement
Day 12, cont.

The church was on a small hill, so we climbed towards it. Along the way there were several small shops.

😻

The church's full name is Basilica of the Twenty-Six Holy Martyrs of Japan but it's also known as Oura Church.

We had to pay a small admission fee to get into the church grounds. Before going inside we walked around a sculpture garden.

KITTYY!!!

Up next: More church

Rista1313

Day 12, cont.

The church was on a small hill, so we climbed towards it. Along the way there were several small shops.

😻

The church's full name is Basilica of the Twenty-Six Holy Martyrs of Japan but it's also known as Oura Church.

We had to pay a small admission fee to get into the church grounds. Before going inside we walked around a sculpture garden.

KITTYY!!!

Up next: More church
Kitty is in this last picture too, but you can barely see... was it following you?

bee

Original Poster
Day 12, cont.

More photos from outside...

Photography is not allowed inside the church itself, but it was very pretty inside. I have visited plenty of European churches and it was strange to see such a similar church in Japan!

From there we made our way to another building, which once housed a seminary and now serves as a museum about the church's history.

Inside the museum part we weren't teeeeeeechnically supposed to take photos either, but I maaaaaaay have sneaked a few...

It was a room about music! Can you blame me??

Up next: From a Catholic church to a Buddhist temple!

amjt660

Conveyor belt sushi is awesome
The first time my coworker went he was grabbing everything - even the stuff being ordered by the table downstream of him
The Japanese guys just laughed every time he would take their order
So when I went for the first time with him I was well coached!!

Max

bee

Original Poster
Day 12, cont.

We left the church and walked back through the nearby shopping street.

Our goal was a nearby Buddhist temple. S hadn't been there before so we were relying on Google Maps to get us there. As you may have already noted from my report, Google isn't always the best way to find things in Japan! It often got us pretty close to something but not quite there. In the case of the temple, it helped us find the general area but we had to figure out for ourselves how to get to the temple itself. And it involved lots of stairs.

At least we could see it!

Getting to this point required more stairs and some weird maneuvering around a garden. We discovered later that there was a better way to get here, but oh well!

Up next: More outside the temple, and going inside!

bee

Original Poster
Day 12, cont.

We found a machine that dispensed fortunes for 100 yen.

I still have no idea what mine says...

This temple was definitely less of a tourist attraction than many of the temples and shrines we visited in and around Kyoto. It was really cool to see!

Up next: Back outside, and a walk through Nagasaki

Songbird76

Day 12, cont.

We found a machine that dispensed fortunes for 100 yen.

I still have no idea what mine says...

This temple was definitely less of a tourist attraction than many of the temples and shrines we visited in and around Kyoto. It was really cool to see!

Up next: Back outside, and a walk through Nagasaki
Ok....I looked some stuff up on your fortune. (I know....I'm a total nerd) and that second picture says "omikuji" in hiragana. So I googled omikuji....it says "Omikuji (おみくじ) are Japanese fortune-telling paper strips that can be found at shrines and temples throughout the country. The fortune that one is granted can range from having a great blessing (倧吉) to a great curse ". I haven't found the symbols on your first picture, but here's a bit about them: http://goinjapanesque.com/07489/

bee

Original Poster
I love those little nekkid and bald Asian babies!! hee hee hee :geek:
:hilarious:

Ok....I looked some stuff up on your fortune. (I know....I'm a total nerd) and that second picture says "omikuji" in hiragana. So I googled omikuji....it says "Omikuji (おみくじ) are Japanese fortune-telling paper strips that can be found at shrines and temples throughout the country. The fortune that one is granted can range from having a great blessing (倧吉) to a great curse ". I haven't found the symbols on your first picture, but here's a bit about them: http://goinjapanesque.com/07489/
Cool! Yeah, there are a ton of words inside too! I guess you are "supposed" to tie them up like in the photos, but we never did.

Ditto what @dizfan917 said! I love the little naked baby bums!! All of those dragons reminded me of Mushu.
Haha yes!

bee

Original Poster
Day 12, cont.

As we were leaving the temple I started looking up restaurant options for lunch. There was a vegetarian- and vegan-friendly place not far away, so we headed that direction. On the way, a Japanese man passed us and said, loudly, "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" I said thank you and S wished him a Merry Christmas as well. I got a kick out of it!

We found our destination:

But when we walked in the hostess told us she didn't have room for three and that we could wait 30 minutes and come back. :arghh:

We decided to wait it out because we didn't know that we would find anything better nearby. It was chilly and windy, and even I was cold waiting outside.

But after fifteen minutes or so, we saw two people leave and checked inside, and there were three seats together at the bar. Hooray!

I ordered a set meal and one of the drink options was red wine. I can't pass up a glass of wine when it's included in my meal!! The hostess who had greeted us was now our server as well and she spoke excellent English. She exclaimed, "I like the drink alcohol with lunch too sometimes!" :hilarious:

I don't know what it was, but I enjoyed it!

My veggie set meal. Everything was good and it was nice to have several different veggies.

M's meal-sandwich, soup, salad, chips (a mix of corn and potato chips!)

S had some kind of sandwich meal as well, I believe.

We were all very happy with our food and it was priced reasonably. We also had fun chatting with both the server and a customer who was seated next to S and was happy to practice her English with us. They both were interested in where we were from and what we were doing in Japan. M and I told them we live in New York (close enough, I don't think anyone from Japan cares that our town is literally right across the Hudson from NYC but in a different state) and they had lots of questions about living there. The customer told us her cousin lived in New York for work for awhile and loved it there. Then she asked the server something in Japanese, and the server (whose English was a little better) corrected her and said it was her nephew. THEN, the server asked us if a nephew was a boy or girl, and we said boy, and she said the right word was niece. We had a really fun time and enjoyed the food, so I'd call that a win!

Next we walked back to the car as our next destination was in a different neighborhood.

πŸ³οΈβ€πŸŒˆ

Up next: Nagasaki Peace Park

bee

Original Poster
Day 12, cont.

We parked and walked to the entrance of the park. It starts with stairs and escalators with flower beds in the middle:

Looking down from the top:

The park is full of lots of beautiful statues made by international artists, along a path leading to the centerpiece statue.

This was the site of a former prison building. The remains of it from after the bombing have been left intact.

We arrived at the main statue, which combines traditional features of Buddha and the Judaeo-Christian God.

It's hard to convey how huge this statue is. It is really overwhelming and awe-inspiring.

Up next: More statues, and the Hypocenter Park

Top Bottom