Trip Report COMPLETED- I Couldn't Love You, but Here's $0.25 in Souvenirs- Celebrating 10 Years of Kid Trips to Disney

We began our adventures early on the morning of February 5th. Just before 7am CT, we had my vehicle loaded up and ready to go. I’m not sure how we did it, but we managed some room for the dog so we could drop her off for boarding (aka Camp!) on our way out of town. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. She gets comfortable in the strangest positions...

50599330162_d76cb9f796_z.jpg

I haven’t set foot in my office since March 16, 2020, so I have no idea what rush hour really looks like these days or if Fridays are still lighter traffic days...but it was a breeze getting out of Houston.

I have no pictures for you until shortly after Lafayette, LA. I was driving up until this point, but after a series of urgent texts from my boss, we decided to stop and switch drivers. I’m not a big fan of critical conference calls at the start of my vacation, but these days, I’m thankful to be gainfully employed. After I got off the phone, I took a few pics as we were driving through the Atchafalaya.

50932460927_3f6cea0032_z.jpg

50932461092_0f6b4deab2_z.jpg

50932339961_f029ddfdd1_z.jpg

It’s probably for the best that I wasn’t taking pics prior to this. Everything around Lake Charles, not too far west of this area, is still showing a lot of damage and tarps from the 2020 hurricane season, so it's pretty depressing. I also hate driving over the Mississippi in Baton Rouge, so I was pretty happy to have David at the wheel.

50932459587_7974fc13b3_z.jpg

50932461207_a5f730336e_z.jpg

Speaking of David (and everyone else), if you want all of the details, please take a look at my PTR. https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/family-return-to-wdw-take-2.971452/

Now, if it looks rainy and gloomy...it’s because it was. We were at the leading edge of a front that was moving east. The rain stayed with us for a good portion of the drive.

50912470921_c0ff159fa3_z.jpg

In light of everything Covid, we didn’t stop at any of our usual lunch spots. I packed a small cooler full of lunch stuff and we stopped at the Mississippi welcome center to eat. Unfortunately, it was really chilly, so we ate in the car. That didn’t stop a ton of pigeons from surrounding us in hopes that we’d drop some crumbs on the way to the trash.

50912602042_17e37c003c_z.jpg

I was aiming for Tallahassee for the night. That’s usually where we wind up when we make good time, but we’d left so early that we were in Tallahassee by dinner time...even with losing an hour when crossing into the Eastern time zone. We didn't even have traffic with the tunnel in Mobile! Not sure why we decided on Whataburger when we have tons of them at home and this one was way off the highway, but we went a bit out of our way to eat at this one for who knows what reason. At least it had a nice little drive-in area to park and eat.

50915171003_17f6c94374_z.jpg

Somewhere in between Pensacola and Tallahassee, we also developed a bit of a car problem…

50915855166_9bd66c7dce_z.jpg

50931651393_818565f737_z.jpg

Somehow, my front sensor got blocked, which in turn disabled all of my front end safety features...as well as my cruise control. I’d had this happen once before, but it quickly corrected itself. This time, it wasn’t going away. The rest of the trip both to Disney and back would be done without cruise control. I felt like I’d jumped back in time to my first car!

We could have stopped for the night at this point. It was late enough that it wouldn’t have been crazy, but it was early enough that we felt the need to push on. So, I booked a hotel in Gainesville and we kept driving. I lived in Gainesville for several years in the early to mid 90s, so it always feels a bit strange to go back, but it was the best option for the night. It took a little bit of time to get all of our stuff upstairs, but by driving a bit farther this evening, we could all relax a bit and sleep in a little the next morning. And silly...we could be silly.

50932460087_5e50701a60_z.jpg

50931650223_38133709c0_z.jpg

50931650893_030f79b2a5_z.jpg

We slept in a little on February 6th. I think it was around 9am when we went downstairs to grab some breakfast to bring back to the room. It was mainly just some cereal, fruit and hard boiled eggs. We couldn’t sit around too long, because we remembered that I forgot to get cash. I couldn’t remember if the toll plazas had switched to toll by plate (they had) and I’d need some cash for tips upon arrival at WDW. So, we waved good-bye to the LaQuinta…

50931651398_b3907a04aa_z.jpg

And headed to Publix…

50932461472_8a43d76ef4_z.jpg

I didn’t spend a lot of time in there, but it was really strange, because this was the Publix we’d shop at when we lived in Gainesville. It just happened to be the closest to the hotel. It also was in the same shopping center as a restaurant I used to work at for a couple of years...so a real trip down memory lane.

With cash in hand (and an extra stick of deodorant purchased so I could get cash back), we were on our way to WDW. I also got some time to call and set up an appointment to get my vehicle in the shop when we got home (more on that later).

50931648963_2a8dd23b1b_z.jpg

50931650863_361690157b_z.jpg

50932461517_20bdf644fc_z.jpg

David was driving, so I was actually able to take a few pics on my phone when we arrived.

50915866811_0393bf4a09_z.jpg

This was also his choice of arrival music. I still don’t get it, but he’s got a pretty fun Idina Menzel impersonation. I regret not taking video, but I was taking pictures.

50915185678_cb764c6afd_z.jpg

50915996637_5dd07eab22_z.jpg

50915868921_699811458f_z.jpg

I’m sure most of us have experienced this, but between my phone, the MDE app, and our magic bands, they knew that we were on property. I immediately got notification that our room wasn’t ready, so I wasn’t expecting much upon arrival.

50932338506_547527319e_z.jpg

After getting a multitude of welcome homes from the security booth attendant (Kendall had all kinds of questions about this practice), a very nice guy with bell services helped with our luggage (who looked kind of funny at the big air mattress I had in the mix) and a woman, who magically knew it was me, told me she’d messaged housekeeping to put a rush on our room. So, all there was left to do at this point was park and figure out what to do with ourselves while we waited. Since I’d canceled our B&C ADR, we didn’t have any place to be until 5pm...and it was 11:48am. Hey, I told Disney we’d be showing up around noon.

Coming up...managing the wait, first impressions on our room, and an evening in Disney Springs.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Hi all! Power was restored last night and I'm hoping it stays that way. We were "only" out for about 25 hours. We're seriously considering a Generac in light of this and our high risk with hurricanes. We lost power enough during Harvey and were out for 3 weeks with Ike, so I'm just kind of over this...especially since our homes and infrastructure clearly isn't designed for anything resembling real winter. We still have two more hard freezes coming before we warm up, so plants and pipes (pet is an inside dog) are still going to be a concern.

I know it doesn't look like much to people in the north, but it really is a matter of this area being prepared for 110 vs 10. I lived in central NJ until I was 18, spent 4 very cold and snowy years in Syracuse NY, lived outside of Cincinnati for a few years, and we ski periodically...so I'm good with real winter...in places prepared to handle it. This is just miserable and I think some of my friends who used to mock me about my TX winter freak outs are now finally getting it. I saw this going around a lot over the last couple of days. I'm thankful I still have plenty of winter stuff to help better protect us...including my grandmother's old fur (see below).

1613669803467.png

*Edit- not saying anyone on here is mocking this, but I have been mocked by northern friends. I don't think they understood until it made the news with just how serious things have been. So, just sharing what was going around. :)

I'm going to post actual TR stuff a little later today, but here's a little taste of what things were like here. Just praying our pipes make it through another couple of nights. I know so many people without water and pipe related flooding. Many can't get help until next month due to the demand.

I wish I'd gotten a video of her yesterday having a full on Bambi moment with the ice in the driveway.

They ended up using it more as a blanket, but this coat (circa 1960s), comes in pretty handy when you're cold. (This was after power came back on, but we were prepping more stuff in case we lost it again)
50955003606_fed3972326_z.jpg

These are ridiculously warm as well.
50947129536_0875c6ee21_z.jpg

50947131126_abc6779406_z.jpg

50946433863_eca07f4c2a_z.jpg

50947234232_4c3ce74906_z.jpg

Never got around to protecting the palm or the ginger on the side of the house. We'll see how they do.
50947131921_11328811e1_z.jpg

50947233737_8d4e8f2d73_z.jpg

50946433643_5baffb27c2_z.jpg

50946433748_f6c0a6b089_z.jpg

50947233182_2712c25301_z.jpg

You can't really see all of them in this, but we have a ton of huge trees. So, we're in for a world of trouble if we get a major ice storm vs. snow. Thankfully, that wasn't the case this time, but even more reason for us to look to a whole home generator.

OK...I'll have actual TR stuff in a little bit!

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Back to Feb 6th...

We all started getting antsy and didn’t want to wait until 7pm, so we headed over to Wine Bar George to see if they’d seat us. Sure enough, they were more than willing to have us come in to eat. The hostess wanted to discuss cameras while on the way to the table and it’s driving me nuts that I still can’t figure out the Canon model she has. She said it was her baby, so clearly, it’s special...but I could have sworn she said it was a 3D. I know about the 5D, the 6D and the 7D, as well as the Mark III, so I have to wonder if she said T3 and possibly transposed it to 3T? Sorry...just has been bugging me, since I’m curious. Oh well, we got to the table...

50936137576_bd3fcf8bc0_z.jpg

50936137366_0a97c6d945_z.jpg

While I was super happy to be seated early, I kind of hated our table. It was a high table with bar stools.

50935450273_38808631dd_z.jpg

For whatever reason, I am awful with bar stools. I can never get comfortable on them and I’ve been known to fall off of them in public. One of David’s earliest memories of dating me is being out at a bar and having me tip over in public because I could get comfortable on my bar stool. Good times!

We have a set of barstools at home that we inherited from my FIL. I mean, we have a bar, so it makes sense to have stools, but I almost never sit in them. Having a back and armrests help, but it’s just a matter of time before I fall out of the stools in my own home!

49220714901_239149e02b_z.jpg

Oh well, it is what it is. At least they gave us bags to store our masks. That was a nice touch!

50936136946_65a29a4eec_z.jpg

We were seated right next to this private room. It was eventually occupied by a large party that booked it for a private function. Swanky!!!

50936251877_cff10b2885_z.jpg

Now that we had our table, it was time to get the drinks going. We’re not wine drinkers, so we probably don’t get the full benefit of visiting a place like WBG. Still, they have cocktails and other fun things. I have been dreaming about the Frozcato from my last WBG visit, so, I’ll give you 1 guess on what I ordered…

50916024928_c1e5f97339_z.jpg

It was delicious, but I had a hard time finishing it. I inhaled them last time, but this time, I nursed this for the entire meal.

Both of the girls had one of these. I have no idea what it is, but they loved it. In fact, they’ve now become obsessed with mocktails in general.

50916711721_12c414a109_z.jpg

This was David’s. I think it may have been a Roxbury, but not 100%. He said it was really strong. I know he ordered something else at some point, and again, I failed to photograph his second drink.

50916711201_69bc4fa8f1_z.jpg

Looking back on the evening, I can tell that we were all in a bit of a cheesy mood...literally. We wound up ordering the burrata, the big board, and the saganaki on fire.

50935450988_d214f7341f_z.jpg

50935450488_08ed0f4370_z.jpg

I was off of dairy and gluten last time I was at WDW, but I wanted to test the waters for this trip. My friend had the saganaki on fire last time, and it was the #1 thing I wanted to try. She had felt it was too salty, but I didn’t have those issues. What’s funny...David felt the burrata needed some salt. I only had a little taste of that, but he said aside from the salt, it was absolutely delicious and so fresh.

As for me, while I did enjoy the saganaki, that big board is something else. We couldn’t finish it all, but we sure tried. I guess this makes up for not doing the kitchen sink. My food challenge for the evening was meats, cheeses and accompaniments vs. ice cream. I mean, even the little beets in there with the cornichons were super tasty. I dream of things like this! I should have gotten a doggy bag!

After leaving, David asked me if there was anything else I wanted to see or do. I know the kids were interested in WoD and the Lego store, but I was done. I was full, I was tired, and I was no longer in the mood for crowds...not that I ever really was. My feet were also starting to hurt. See, I have this pair of platform combat boots that I LOVE. They are really pretty comfortable, even for long periods of time, but I was hitting my limit with them…

47542041202_d97f6f1053_z.jpg

So, we took a very leisurely stroll out of DS to get back to the car.

50936249877_4da45a0659_z.jpg

50936249717_ac9f1efd58_z.jpg

It was also around this time that I realized my camera decision for the kids for this trip was going to work out after all. They like taking pictures and contributing to the photo memories, but they often fight over who gets to use the other camera and will try and “borrow” mine from me. This time, I just didn’t bring the other one and both girls seemed perfectly content to just take pics on their phones.

Someone asked about heading in here, but I meant it...I was done.

50936134206_da6a9a7a2e_z.jpg

I was also quietly praising myself for canceling the Splitsville ADR I initially had booked. There is no way we would have been up for any of that.

When we got back to BWV, I hobbled back to the room in my big boots, and found a nice little surprise waiting for us.

50936133981_7dd1e20355_z.jpg

I know a lot of people said they hadn’t been receiving luggage tags with packages, so this was a nice little treat. It still doesn’t make up for the Magic Band issues, but it’s something.

While I was admiring the tags, Kendall had taken over the kitchen to make coffee.

50919830437_1eaa32910a_z.jpg

We tried explaining to her that iced coffee isn’t the same as the cold brew that she likes, but she was determined to make a whole lot of coffee. The other issue- David and I aren’t coffee drinkers. So, when she needed help using the machine, we’re both sitting there trying to Google instructions and decipher it all. In the end, she successfully made a big pot of coffee and barely drank any of it...because it didn’t taste like the “good stuff.” Oh well, she’s learning.

After I was off of coffee duty, changed into comfy clothes and got out of my boots, we started to convert the place for the evening. David snores really badly, so I brought the air mattress so I could sleep out in the living room with the girls.

50936133681_feeb1662ba_z.jpg

I had purchased a pair of cheap $35 wireless earbuds for travel just in case I had to be in the same room. They’re supposed to have a decent battery life out of the case...which they do...6-7 hours. They worked brilliantly for our night in Gainesville, until they started to die. I had no idea that the synth voice would come on and start saying “Battery Low...Battery Low.” Even worse, a higher pitched voice comes on and says it’s doing a low battery shut down. Naturally, this woke me up, so I decided I’d resort to using the air mattress and just be with the girls while we’re at WDW. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get comfortable and I kept hitting my head on the dining light fixture each time I got up to shift things around. So, I started to deflate the mattress and joined David in the master bedroom. He was still awake, so I walked him through the MDE app for trying to get RotR boarding passes in the morning. And then I put on an eye mask to block the light from the tv, put in my cheap earbuds, and drifted off to sleep. It was probably around 5:30am when the low battery warning came on, but at least I got a really solid amount of sleep until then.

Speaking of the MDE app, it did something really crazy with David while I was trying to get him set up. I forgot to screenshot the whole thing, because it gave him some crazy email with a ton of Zs, but for about 20 minutes, it recognized him as this…

50916710526_f9d14e083e_z.jpg

I got it fixed on our end, but it still isn’t showing the right way for my dad. Gotta love Disney’s stellar tech.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
It’s now the morning of February 7th and my alarm went off around 6:35am so I could get ready to try and get us into a boarding group. I nudged David several times and he claimed to be up and would try too. I headed out to the balcony, since that’s where I had the best cellular reception on our check in day. Unfortunately, this is what greeted me outside.

Now, I knew we had a decent chance of rain for this day and had our ponchos ready to go, but the radar was looking pretty ugly. Look familiar @Darstarr ? Fun times!

50916023653_02911c20de_z.jpg

50919005268_edebfed320_z.jpg

There was just too much lightning for me to stay out on the balcony and the reception had been cut to three bars with the weather...which was no better than inside the room. So, I went inside and prepared. I watched a few good YouTube videos on how to do it and felt ready. I logged out of the MDE app, logged back in, and at 6:59am I hit the join button. Obviously, it wasn’t time yet and gave me a message saying so, but I kept swiping down until it hit 7am and gave me the official join button. Man, that happens so quickly, and no real time to examine your party, but I guess I did something right!

50919005753_dfeab66322_z.jpg

I was really excited, kind of like how I get after I book ADRs, so I went into the bedroom to let David know he could stop trying. Yeah...he was asleep. As soon as I walked in, he popped up and started trying to launch the app...and tried to pretend like he was stuck. I told him it was Ok and he could go back to sleep for a while.

I too tried to get some sleep, but it was still pretty stormy out there...which prompted the next big question… Will it clear up enough for us to make it to park opening and join our boarding group?

Coming up… Our first DHS Day.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I can see the Mississippi River Bridge from my office in Baton Rouge. I hate driving over it too, but thankfully I don't have to very often. It was closed a couple days this week due to the ice and I saw on the news that there were cars driving around the barricades. That's a no for me!

I'm enjoying the trip report!

It's a neat looking bridge, but I truly hate having to drive over it. It was even worse on the way back, because we went through a ton of stormy weather in the dark. I'm really thankful it wasn't freezing at that point, or we probably would have had to spend the night in Baton Route. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but we were at the point of just wanting to be home.

Songbird76

Hi all! Power was restored last night and I'm hoping it stays that way. We were "only" out for about 25 hours. We're seriously considering a Generac in light of this and our high risk with hurricanes. We lost power enough during Harvey and were out for 3 weeks with Ike, so I'm just kind of over this...especially since our homes and infrastructure clearly isn't designed for anything resembling real winter. We still have two more hard freezes coming before we warm up, so plants and pipes (pet is an inside dog) are still going to be a concern.

I know it doesn't look like much to people in the north, but it really is a matter of this area being prepared for 110 vs 10. I lived in central NJ until I was 18, spent 4 very cold and snowy years in Syracuse NY, lived outside of Cincinnati for a few years, and we ski periodically...so I'm good with real winter...in places prepared to handle it. This is just miserable and I think some of my friends who used to mock me about my TX winter freak outs are now finally getting it. I saw this going around a lot over the last couple of days. I'm thankful I still have plenty of winter stuff to help better protect us...including my grandmother's old fur (see below).

View attachment 533252
*Edit- not saying anyone on here is mocking this, but I have been mocked by northern friends. I don't think they understood until it made the news with just how serious things have been. So, just sharing what was going around. :)

I'm going to post actual TR stuff a little later today, but here's a little taste of what things were like here. Just praying our pipes make it through another couple of nights. I know so many people without water and pipe related flooding. Many can't get help until next month due to the demand.

I wish I'd gotten a video of her yesterday having a full on Bambi moment with the ice in the driveway.

They ended up using it more as a blanket, but this coat (circa 1960s), comes in pretty handy when you're cold. (This was after power came back on, but we were prepping more stuff in case we lost it again)
50955003606_fed3972326_z.jpg

These are ridiculously warm as well.
50947129536_0875c6ee21_z.jpg

50947131126_abc6779406_z.jpg

50946433863_eca07f4c2a_z.jpg

50947234232_4c3ce74906_z.jpg

Never got around to protecting the palm or the ginger on the side of the house. We'll see how they do.
50947131921_11328811e1_z.jpg

50947233737_8d4e8f2d73_z.jpg

50946433643_5baffb27c2_z.jpg

50946433748_f6c0a6b089_z.jpg

50947233182_2712c25301_z.jpg

You can't really see all of them in this, but we have a ton of huge trees. So, we're in for a world of trouble if we get a major ice storm vs. snow. Thankfully, that wasn't the case this time, but even more reason for us to look to a whole home generator.

OK...I'll have actual TR stuff in a little bit!

I'm so sorry you guys are going through that. I understand from living here how hard it is not having the snow plows, the experience in driving in snow, etc...it doesn't snow much here, so we aren't prepared for it either. But my growing up in Wyoming comes in handy....Hubby couldn't get the car out because the wheels kept spinning, but we had JUST been talking about it and how we used to put wood or something under the tires to give them traction....so he knew to go and grab some cardboard and shove it under the tires. We are now carrying pieces of cardboard in the trunk, just in case. But people who have never dealt with that wouldn't know to do that. And it's kind of like us with heat....usually, we don't get a lot hotter than 85 degrees, and not many days of that. But the past few years, we've gotten heat waves that last weeks where we are in the upper 90s, but homes here aren't air conditioned because we never needed it before. Sure, 110 degrees is way worse, but when you live in a place that's not humid and everywhere you go has AC, it's not an issue. I work in a warehouse without AC and we have to walk and lift heavy things...it's a physical job, so when it gets up to 103 degrees inside and we have to be walking miles and doing heavy lifting, people start dropping like flies. It's not that we're weak, it's that we don't have the facilities to make it bearable. It's not a matter of who has it worse, but about having the means to deal with it. I hope it's back to normal soon!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I'm so sorry you guys are going through that. I understand from living here how hard it is not having the snow plows, the experience in driving in snow, etc...it doesn't snow much here, so we aren't prepared for it either. But my growing up in Wyoming comes in handy....Hubby couldn't get the car out because the wheels kept spinning, but we had JUST been talking about it and how we used to put wood or something under the tires to give them traction....so he knew to go and grab some cardboard and shove it under the tires. We are now carrying pieces of cardboard in the trunk, just in case. But people who have never dealt with that wouldn't know to do that. And it's kind of like us with heat....usually, we don't get a lot hotter than 85 degrees, and not many days of that. But the past few years, we've gotten heat waves that last weeks where we are in the upper 90s, but homes here aren't air conditioned because we never needed it before. Sure, 110 degrees is way worse, but when you live in a place that's not humid and everywhere you go has AC, it's not an issue. I work in a warehouse without AC and we have to walk and lift heavy things...it's a physical job, so when it gets up to 103 degrees inside and we have to be walking miles and doing heavy lifting, people start dropping like flies. It's not that we're weak, it's that we don't have the facilities to make it bearable. It's not a matter of who has it worse, but about having the means to deal with it. I hope it's back to normal soon!

Normal would be nice. There's only so much I can do to protect the house, but as for the people, there are a lot of people here who just have nothing for real winter and have never experienced it outside of what little we get here. Like your experiences in Wyoming, I have a lot of winter weather experience and have retained a number of things for times like this. The kids may mock my old sweaters, but I have some heavy wool ones from the mid 1980s that are still in great shape for times like this. I've also lived in the south long enough to be ready for the heat. Thankfully, the humidity tends to drop when we get into triple digits, but it can be such a muggy swamp here. Just like in Syracuse, where we'd celebrate temps above 30...here we tend to celebrate when temps dip below 90. Still, with things like heat and air conditioning, it can all be pretty manageable. It's not until the power goes out that you start to suffer. I remember how hot you said it could get where you work. That's got to be really challenging with it being a physical job too.

Oh well, worked all day in my PJs. Now I have to decide if I want to get dressed and see if the grocery store has anything we could use. The kids don't want the powdered milk I have in my emergency supplies, but they may just have to deal. It'll be really funny if I try baking bread! I'm sure they'll turn their noses up at that too. Spoiled!

Loco_driver

Glad you guys are ok. I know many in our state aren’t as fortunate. You are right, it has nothing to do with how “tough” we are. This is a once in a lifetime type of winter storm that we just can’t prepare for. Our homes and infrastructure are all designed to stand up to the heat, not this! The real kicker for us was the storm on Wednesday that ended up being way worse than forecasted.

Songbird76

Normal would be nice. There's only so much I can do to protect the house, but as for the people, there are a lot of people here who just have nothing for real winter and have never experienced it outside of what little we get here. Like your experiences in Wyoming, I have a lot of winter weather experience and have retained a number of things for times like this. The kids may mock my old sweaters, but I have some heavy wool ones from the mid 1980s that are still in great shape for times like this. I've also lived in the south long enough to be ready for the heat. Thankfully, the humidity tends to drop when we get into triple digits, but it can be such a muggy swamp here. Just like in Syracuse, where we'd celebrate temps above 30...here we tend to celebrate when temps dip below 90. Still, with things like heat and air conditioning, it can all be pretty manageable. It's not until the power goes out that you start to suffer. I remember how hot you said it could get where you work. That's got to be really challenging with it being a physical job too.

Oh well, worked all day in my PJs. Now I have to decide if I want to get dressed and see if the grocery store has anything we could use. The kids don't want the powdered milk I have in my emergency supplies, but they may just have to deal. It'll be really funny if I try baking bread! I'm sure they'll turn their noses up at that too. Spoiled!
I think that's the thing....you can deal with the extremes when you have the means to do so, but if you took away the snowplows, heat and electricity, water, etc from the northerners who are used to the cold temps and snow, they wouldn't fare so well either. The heat would be nothing if we had things like AC. But when you are faced with extremes and no means to lessen the effect, it gets exponentially harder. We had one year where it got up to about 110 degrees on the upper floor of the warehouse and we still had to be pushing the carts, lifting heavy boxes, etc...there was no relief. There were 10-15 people who either passed out or came close to it and had to go home. The law only requires it to be "workable" and doesn't give a specific limit to what the temps are allowed to be, but really that's not a safe work environment, as evidenced by the number of people who basically suffered heat exhaustion. It WASN'T "workable", but without specific limits, there's little we could do to hold the workplace accountable. The law is too vague. It also says that if it's too hot, they are supposed to evaluate whether or not the work is necessary, and if it's not, they can't force it. If it IS necessary, they are supposed to have breaks more often and provide water to stay hydrated, but they don't give extra breaks and we only have access to water in the break room. We just don't have the facilities and equipment to deal with extremes, and like you said, if the power goes out when it's hot there, you start to suffer without the AC. You can deal with it normally because you have the equipment to deal with it. I think people underestimate how much having the proper means helps.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Glad you guys are ok. I know many in our state aren’t as fortunate. You are right, it has nothing to do with how “tough” we are. This is a once in a lifetime type of winter storm that we just can’t prepare for. Our homes and infrastructure are all designed to stand up to the heat, not this! The real kicker for us was the storm on Wednesday that ended up being way worse than forecasted.

I know we are definitely some of the lucky ones. Like you said, things here are designed for the heat...and in some cases, hurricanes and humidity. I've lived here nearly 24 years and while I've seen some snow and ice, I've never seen anything like this. Not that I enjoyed flooding with TS Imelda, but at least that's a bit more normal for the area. We are far enough south and east that Wednesday wasn't as bad for us, but it had me worried, since it had the potential to be the kind of ice storm to take down our power lines. We have family in San Antonio who got snow yesterday too. Hopefully they can get this mess sorted out so those in need can get help and this never happens again.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I think that's the thing....you can deal with the extremes when you have the means to do so, but if you took away the snowplows, heat and electricity, water, etc from the northerners who are used to the cold temps and snow, they wouldn't fare so well either. The heat would be nothing if we had things like AC. But when you are faced with extremes and no means to lessen the effect, it gets exponentially harder. We had one year where it got up to about 110 degrees on the upper floor of the warehouse and we still had to be pushing the carts, lifting heavy boxes, etc...there was no relief. There were 10-15 people who either passed out or came close to it and had to go home. The law only requires it to be "workable" and doesn't give a specific limit to what the temps are allowed to be, but really that's not a safe work environment, as evidenced by the number of people who basically suffered heat exhaustion. It WASN'T "workable", but without specific limits, there's little we could do to hold the workplace accountable. The law is too vague. It also says that if it's too hot, they are supposed to evaluate whether or not the work is necessary, and if it's not, they can't force it. If it IS necessary, they are supposed to have breaks more often and provide water to stay hydrated, but they don't give extra breaks and we only have access to water in the break room. We just don't have the facilities and equipment to deal with extremes, and like you said, if the power goes out when it's hot there, you start to suffer without the AC. You can deal with it normally because you have the equipment to deal with it. I think people underestimate how much having the proper means helps.

It does, however, give me a lot of respect for those who lived before us without any of these modern conveniences. Your work situation with the vague "workable" description also makes you realize how good we have it here with our various laws to protect people in the workplace. Obviously, people had to suffer/perish for a lot of that to be put in place, but it makes you think about some of these countries with really bad labor practices and how bad it is for those people. Still, I see some of these heartbreaking stories about people freezing to death in their homes or parents having to ration their baby's oxygen because of this power situation and you realize how fragile everything truly is...from life itself to all of the systems we rely on to sustain us.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
We've survived another night with hard freeze temps/warnings. We did find out about an issue with our side business. Apparently one of the units had a pipe burst. What's especially frustrating with this is that the business is being sold...under contract...was supposed to close before we went to WDW...but the title company is experiencing some delays. The facility has a plumber, so that's good, but he's having a hard time getting the supplies to fix things. Ok...on with the report...

So, let it be known that I have a pretty hefty fear of lightning. One of my dad’s degrees is in meteorology, so I’ve grown up with a lot of weather warnings in my life. You should see me freak out when we have storms roll in for softball. We also know FL is the lightning capital, so the last thing I wanted to do was go walking to DHS in a storm. Thankfully, it was down to nothing more than a light sprinkle and no thunder or lightning by the time it was ready to take off for the park. I wouldn’t even need the ponchos (but had them just in case)

We had 2 DHS days and 1 Epcot day planned out of our 5 park days, so staying walking distance from these parks made the most sense. At least it’s a fairly easy walk.

50936133411_99cdda8c42_z.jpg

50936248547_bc5c475eca_z.jpg

50935448233_b38078b977_z.jpg

50936247562_d5c1d606bd_z.jpg

50936246702_95a15fe888_z.jpg

50935446743_97f00aaef7_z.jpg

The kids were also starting to beg to ride the Skyliner, so I was going to have to find some time for that.

50935446573_cb124502f8_z.jpg

It was before official park opening time, but I kept hearing that they were letting people in early, so we were about to test that rumor.

50936130936_b17578be01_z.jpg

50936130746_aeffd73cb4_z.jpg

50936245782_54cec73551_z.jpg

Yup...in the park before 9am and no sign of anything to hold back the crowd. At least temp check stuff and bag check stuff went pretty well. Although, this was the start of my camera setting off everything. Oh well...we were in a park and it was time to enjoy.

I figured we should focus on the new, so we hit up the very first new to us thing we came across.

50935445648_67994064f4_z.jpg

I know this is blasphemy for some, but I really wasn’t a fan of GMR and was so happy to see something new in this spot.

50936245257_d85aca8544_z.jpg

50935445178_7859222ddb_z.jpg

(says 15, but even the CM said it was walk on)

50935444958_4f5e78aa9e_z.jpg

50936244302_d223140bc0_z.jpg

50936244027_0962e9f779_z.jpg

(sad we don’t get the pre-show, but I understand)

50935443968_a5a865c60b_z.jpg

50936128406_115bdce5f3_z.jpg

A bit blurry...but you get the point- No Dancing!

50935443493_c683a8fd5a_z.jpg

We ended up in the back, which meant no good view of Goofy, but I wondered how we would separate out once farther into the ride.

50935392968_9c5159a416_z.jpg

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Here we go!!!

50935443208_ee603dbb1d_z.jpg

50936127556_542a9f5897_z.jpg

50935442213_417d1f73c2_z.jpg

50936126686_a4f1d904aa_z.jpg

50936241132_503686409b_z.jpg

50936240872_386ea758e1_z.jpg

50936125491_e8767e91bb_z.jpg

(I don’t know why, but I love that angry little crab on the left!)

50936124451_e4f9d74e0a_z.jpg

50936238877_ed79aba434_z.jpg

50936238607_f85b7e9a51_z.jpg

50935438158_6c6fde76cd_z.jpg

50936237757_26c72c7a2a_z.jpg

The family is mixed on this, but I think it’s super cute and can see myself needing to ride this at least once each trip. No, I’m still not a fan of this animation style, but it’s got a lot of details and to me, it’s fun. It also will eat up crowds pretty well if they can keep it moving and I’m sure it’s a nice break from the heat during the warmer months.

In keeping with the new, it was time to head to Galaxy’s Edge. While I visited SWGE last January, I really didn’t do anything but go to Oga’s. So, it would be new for me too...for the most part.

50936237532_d536485fae_z.jpg

50936237317_162c61600c_z.jpg

Side note...seeing these people in front of us with the mini-Loungefly backpacks reminded me...these things are now EVERYWHERE! I knew they were popular and I saw quite a few in 2020, but this reminds me of the LuLaroe legging takeover of 2017! I only own one mini...a bday gift from my mom, and I felt really out of place for leaving it home. Still, it’s white and will get nasty looking so easily.

50207939733_6d9b6d0350_z.jpg

50208742697_8271136fc5_z.jpg

50207939688_bc3a488344_z.jpg

50208462841_f137fbcc07_z.jpg

It holds a decent amount of stuff, but not enough for me in the parks...unless I don’t have anything but my own stuff...which never seems to happen! That’s another story to come in this saga.

Oh, and we passed Sci Fi...prompting David to ask if we were eating here.
  1. It wasn’t on the list of ADRs I mentioned in any of our discussions.
  2. You asked me to give it a long rest after our last visit.
Selective amnesia!

50935437408_9794a2f589_z.jpg

And we’re walking…

50936236837_c1fa5d216d_z.jpg

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
50936121746_fbfec2cb65_z.jpg

50936236492_c106500d82_z.jpg

There were a lot of wows as we entered. To be perfectly honest, I didn’t really get to appreciate it last time either, so I was wowing along with them.

50936235822_8f4c605284_z.jpg

50936235562_0c001126cf_z.jpg

50936120251_fd43d83413_z.jpg

Our boarding group hadn’t been called at this point and it was still super early, so we decided to head to Smuggler’s Run...taking the long way...because we had no idea where we were going.

50935434848_5bf29255e4_z.jpg

50936119556_5ac843185e_z.jpg

50936119286_f789cd2a64_z.jpg

50935433998_5064447dfd_z.jpg

Ok, I had no idea how ridiculously close I was to this area when I visited Oga’s last year. I remember 1970s kid me being a bit disappointed that I left and never got to see the Millennium Falcon. Well, time to make up for lost time!

50936233782_495db2e962_z.jpg

50936118451_db6c94edd7_z.jpg

50936117981_ae8723da4f_z.jpg

50936117846_516902b343_z.jpg

The ride had very little wait...maybe 15 minutes at most, so we got into line. Most of my early line pics are pretty blurry because of how fast we were moving.

50936232712_3612da6cbe_z.jpg

50936117476_e9645ba6cf_z.jpg

I think we’ve slowed down a little…

50936117321_dc7985cbb9_z.jpg

50935432368_9c72f1cea9_z.jpg

Or maybe not…

50936232087_a5d6dc04de_z.jpg

50935431788_5fde56026e_z.jpg

50935431563_bbce99b7ca_z.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom