Trip Report *COMPLETED* A Swolphin Sandwich (Thanksgiving Week 2017)

My DW M and I have returned from a wonderful week of Disney, family, and more Disney! I can make no guarantees for fast or frequent updates, but I'll do my best!

Introduction

Here's the PTR: ProcrastiNations: Deflections of Work. There you can read all about the cast and plans. We decided to take it easy on this trip as we've just gotten through an extremely stressful few months relating to our living situation. I've posted bits and pieces about it in various TRs/PTRs recently, but to make a long story short our building was purchased and our lease wasn't renewed, but we couldn't move into our new place until eleven days after we moved out and didn't find out until the day before we were supposed to move in. We had to put all our stuff in storage and stay in temporary housing during that time. Luckily the new landlord has done their best to make up for the financial strain of paying for last-minute temporary housing (they delayed our official lease date to December 1 so we didn't have to pay anything for the 2/3 of November we lived here). That said, this was a pretty horrible chapter of our lives and we lost a lot of sleep and got behind in work and...cried a lot!*

The biggest change to the trip was the decision not to do any early mornings at parks in an effort to catch up on sleep. This meant changing and canceling some ADRs, and only visiting two of the parks. We spent more time in the room than we typically do and chose rest time over busy park time when presented with the decision.

So, if you're ready for a million photos (mostly of food...and beverages...;) ) keep reading!

*Lest you worry about us, we are VERY happy in our new place now that the garbage of November is behind us. It is the biggest and nicest place we have ever lived in. We have a beautiful kitchen with a dishwasher AND we have our own washer and dryer in-unit, which is almost unheard of in this area! We are still waiting on two chairs to arrive but once they do and we have everything set up I'll post photos here.

Up next: The flight to Orlando!

bee

Original Poster
Day 8, cont.

tumblr_p0bbjy51kB1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

Funny pointy lights

tumblr_p0bbjy51kB1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_p0bbjy51kB1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

I need to take pictures inside this elevator!

Back upstairs MIL and FIL presented me with an early birthday present and a card thanking me for planning the trip for us all. The present was...a rainbow Mickey pin that perfectly matched my new keychain!

tumblr_p0bbjy51kB1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

I put the pin on my backpack and I've gotten SO many compliments from colleagues and students. :D

tumblr_p0bbqtvp5q1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

It was time to check out. Since we had done "Make a Green Choice" for both rooms we each received one of these cards:

tumblr_p0bbjy51kB1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

I redeemed one for an extra 500 Starpoints, and we used the other for a coffee at Fuel.

While waiting to check out...

tumblr_p0bblsfWfp1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p0bblsfWfp1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

Sarah from our check in day ended up checking us out as well. She remembered me since I have an unusual name. :happy:

tumblr_p0bblsfWfp1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

Iced coffee

We said our goodbyes and M and I called a Lyft to the airport.

tumblr_p0bblsfWfp1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p0bblsfWfp1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

New international terminal at MCO! Looking good!

Up next: At the airport

bee

Original Poster
Day, 8 cont.

Once inside we printed boarding passes at the fancy new kiosks.

tumblr_p0bblsfWfp1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Security took less than ten minutes and we stopped for a quick lunch at Jersey Mike's.

tumblr_p0bblsfWfp1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

Some new Pokemon were added to Pokemon Go during the trip, and we each caught this guy in the airport:

tumblr_p0bblsfWfp1un92rjo9_1280.png

We decided to share a treat from Starbucks...

tumblr_p0bblsfWfp1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

I use TripIt to organize my travel plans in one place. I frequently get emails like this with a "one time complimentary alert" from TripIt Pro.

tumblr_p0bbo5T3yS1un92rjo1_1280.png

The flight ended up being just slightly delayed and soon we were boarding.

tumblr_p0bbo5T3yS1un92rjo2_1280.png

Once on the plane, we got lucky and got to sit in our favorite seats!

tumblr_p0bbo5T3yS1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

(The one exit row with just two seats)

In the air we watched some free TV and enjoyed adult beverages with our drink coupons.

tumblr_p0bbo5T3yS1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

I listened to an audiobook for the first hour or so, then put in my Earplanes to prepare for landing.

tumblr_p0bbo5T3yS1un92rjo4_1280.png

We experiences sunset in the air!

tumblr_p0bbo5T3yS1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_p0bbo5T3yS1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_p0bbo5T3yS1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_p0bbo5T3yS1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

We landed a bit late due to the delay and airport traffic but soon we were on our way back to our new apartment. We made dinner and prepared to go back to work the next day :bawling:

Up next: This always happens...

bee

Original Poster
At some point during the trip, the Shop Disney Parks app notified me of a free shipping offer. This seems to always happen: I order Disney merchandise from the app to be shipped home while I'm on vacation. We decided on some nice Epcot mugs and an Epcot 35 keychain to hold our mailbox key.

Not long after we returned home I received a box from Disney via USPS. When I brought it upstairs I heard a jingling noise inside. Certainly that's not normal...

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

This was the WORST wrapping/packing job I'd ever seen. No wonder both mugs were broken! So we contacted Disney Merchandise to ask for a replacement.

The box came a week or so later, this time via FedEx (not sure if the carrier had anything to do with it, but it was interesting to me that they switched).

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

Looking better already...

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

A double layer of bubble wrap!

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Much better!

I'm not sure if I have many concluding thoughts to add. We had a truly wonderful trip despite my being sick for most of it. The weather was pleasant, we got to stay at both the Swan and the Dolphin, we spent time with family, we enjoyed old favorites AND tried new things, and most importantly, we got to spend relaxing time with each other after an extremely stressful few months.

I feel very lucky to be able to say we are going back next month! I'll probably make a full PTR soon but for now here's the gist of it!

February 21-26
Coronado Springs
Princess 5K (M's first race and my second)
Possibly meeting some Florida family AND some Midwest family :eek:

Thank you to everyone who has read, liked, and commented! As always it's a pleasure to share our trips with fellow Disney fan(atics) and relive them this way! :D:D:D

krause

Who else remembers when a CM used to stand at this podium to firmly remind guests to keep their hands inside the boat?

Literally one of the only things I remember from my first trip when I was in Grade 4! Wonder why... :cautious:

I enjoyed reading your report and I’m looking forward to the next one!

ELeigh

At some point during the trip, the Shop Disney Parks app notified me of a free shipping offer. This seems to always happen: I order Disney merchandise from the app to be shipped home while I'm on vacation. We decided on some nice Epcot mugs and an Epcot 35 keychain to hold our mailbox key.

Not long after we returned home I received a box from Disney via USPS. When I brought it upstairs I heard a jingling noise inside. Certainly that's not normal...

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

This was the WORST wrapping/packing job I'd ever seen. No wonder both mugs were broken! So we contacted Disney Merchandise to ask for a replacement.

The box came a week or so later, this time via FedEx (not sure if the carrier had anything to do with it, but it was interesting to me that they switched).

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

Looking better already...

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

A double layer of bubble wrap!

tumblr_p10gmacInL1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Much better!

I'm not sure if I have many concluding thoughts to add. We had a truly wonderful trip despite my being sick for most of it. The weather was pleasant, we got to stay at both the Swan and the Dolphin, we spent time with family, we enjoyed old favorites AND tried new things, and most importantly, we got to spend relaxing time with each other after an extremely stressful few months.

I feel very lucky to be able to say we are going back next month! I'll probably make a full PTR soon but for now here's the gist of it!

February 21-26
Coronado Springs
Princess 5K (M's first race and my second)
Possibly meeting some Florida family AND some Midwest family :eek:

Thank you to everyone who has read, liked, and commented! As always it's a pleasure to share our trips with fellow Disney fan(atics) and relive them this way! :D:D:D

I have had the same problem with Disney shipping fragile things, it took 3 tries to get a non-broken mickey pumpkin votive holder at Halloween time :/

bee

Original Poster
Hooooray!

I always enjoy following along on your trips. Thanks for letting us come along. :geek:
Thanks for reading!

Enjoy the Princess 5K - hope the weather is warmer that weekend than it was marathon weekend!
Me too! We have been training outside here in NJ and my first race it was cold and rainy. But that doesn’t mean I woul PREFER to run in cold weather!

Thank you for sharing your adventure with us. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the Swolphin for your stay. They have definitely done a few upgrades since we stayed there at our last visit.
Thanks for reading! We always love the Swolphin!

Literally one of the only things I remember from my first trip when I was in Grade 4! Wonder why... :cautious:

I enjoyed reading your report and I’m looking forward to the next one!
Haha, glad I’m not the only one! Thanks for reading!

I have had the same problem with Disney shipping fragile things, it took 3 tries to get a non-broken mickey pumpkin votive holder at Halloween time :/
Ugh, that’s awful! You’d think a company with the reputation of DISNEY would be able to get it right the first time.

Figment Forever

Thanks for the great TR. My daughter Julia bought the same EPCOT mug and loves it! We brought it home with us so I was responsible for all shipping issues. lol Happy very belated birthday - you and my daughter Hope share the same b-day! Will keep an eye out for your next TR!

bee

Original Poster
Back to real life. Enjoyed the report as usual
Thanks for reading! Alas, real life strikes again!

Thanks for the great TR. My daughter Julia bought the same EPCOT mug and loves it! We brought it home with us so I was responsible for all shipping issues. lol Happy very belated birthday - you and my daughter Hope share the same b-day! Will keep an eye out for your next TR!
Thank you! Yay for Hope and me being birthday buddies, and clearly Julia has good taste in mugs! ;)

Thank you Bee (and M) for sharing your trip with us
Looking forward to the next one

Max
Thanks for reading! M says you’re welcome.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Alas, another Bee TR has come to an end. :( It was fun tagging along, though, and I really enjoyed it. :happy:

Very happy to read that you got your mug replacements, after the first two were damaged in transit. I really like those mugs, too, with the original logos from FutureWorld.

Glad the Green option worked for you at the Dolphin. I tried that once (a few years ago), but decided against it after that. The reason was that I'd often bring food up to the room (I'm always eating . . . LOL . . . :) ), and without daily housekeeping, there would be garbage left in the basket in the room for a few days. I did finally take the plastic bag and put it outside my door in the hallway, and housekeeping removed it. But being on vacation, I preferred daily service. So I didn't opt for the Green discount on future trips to Swan or Dolphin.

winstongator

Day 3, cont.

Shortly before noon we found the Guest Services area of the Dolphin lobby and checked in at the Alamo rental desk. There was no line and we were in and out very quickly. We had to give the keys to one of the valet staff, who retrieved the car for us.

tumblr_p03dmlVLED1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

More Christmas!

And here's the car we ended up with. Obviously this is not at WDW but I forgot to take a photo until we were already in Jacksonville.

tumblr_p03dt1R5fl1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Before we left Orlando we had a mission to visit the Character Warehouse at one of the outlet malls.

tumblr_p03dmlVLED1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p03dmlVLED1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p03dmlVLED1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

Sooo...did gay male couples buy up all the Mr. mugs and only Mrs. are left for us lesbians? :p

tumblr_p03dmlVLED1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

This MK 45th set was tempting, but I resisted!

They had TONS of cool merchandise for reasonable prices; for example, ALL coffee mugs were only $6 each!! It was very crowded (it was a holiday week after all!) but we didn't mind, and we both came out with some souvenirs we liked!

Here's what we actually DID buy:

tumblr_p0bbqtvp5q1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p0bbqtvp5q1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p0bbqtvp5q1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

Wait...that's not from WDW! But we've been there!

We got some little gifts for family as well, and soon we were on our way to M's parents' house.

tumblr_p03dmlVLED1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Traffic was intensifying, and we were glad we left when we did and not later.

We stopped for lunch at Taco Bell.

They have a surprising number of decent veggie or veggie-fy-able options. We went with chalupas with beans instead of meat.

Back on the road, we listened to some Disney parks music.

The next post or two will not be Disney-related, but they will be KITTY-RELATED!!!!

Up next: Family time (including Frisky time!)
Living in Jacksonville, I think I recognize the I-4 to I-95 merge.

winstongator

Day 6, cont.

After Soarin' we decided to split up. MIL and FIL went to the UK to have some fish and chips, and M and I exited the park via the IG to try a new restaurant. On our way we enjoyed a THIRD unintentional viewing of DHS fireworks!

tumblr_p05op605XH1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p05op605XH1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p05op605XH1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

Soon we made it to our destination:

tumblr_p05op605XH1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

We'd never tried Big River before so we decided to give it a shot. M and I aren't big beer drinkers (give me red wine any day...and every day!) but you can't go to a Brewery and not have a beer or two!

tumblr_p05op605XH1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

It took quite awhile for our server, Annette, to greet us. The restaurant was very busy and seemed understaffed. It was also just plain LOUD. I understand it's casual and it's a brewery, but this was excessive.

tumblr_p05op605XH1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_p05op605XH1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Most of the beers were pretty "meh" to us, but I did end up getting a full size Oktoberfest.

We ordered the jalapeno spinach cheese dip, and nachos with a side of guac.

Some sort of globby cheese concoction...no resemblance whatsoever to spinach.

Mediocre nachos...and no side of guac in sight!

We actually didn't realize until near the end of the meal that we hadn't received guacamole because we'd gotten so hungry we just wanted to eat! We told Annette and she was super apologetic and offered to bring us both guac and salsa to go. We had a bunch of leftover chips from the dip too so we took it all to have another time. When the bill came we saw that Annette had taken off the guac entirely. We also accidentally left our credit card inside the restaurant and she came running after us to give it back, so props to Annette for good service.

As you may have guessed from reading this, we are not likely to return to Big River. The food was mediocre at best, the beer wasn't anything special to me, and it was unpleasantly LOUD inside. I don't think I've ever been this unimpressed by a Disney (or not Disney but on Disney property) restaurant. The one bright spot was Annette's service.

With our to go back in hand, we made our way back to the Dolphin.

I swear I wasn't trying to creepily take a photo of these people, I just liked how the lake looked!

Uhhhhh...

The rest of the photos from this night are super blurry. Like, worse than the Christmas tree one above. I wasn't THAT drunk!

Up next: Our last full day. It's a good one!
Thanks for the review of Big River. I have not gone there yet, and am glad to have the info to avoid it! I was going to ask if you had tried Shula's at the Dolphin and then remembered pricey steakhouses aren't the ideal choices for vegetarians. Kinda rules out the great Yachtsman too.

bee

Original Poster
Alas, another Bee TR has come to an end. :( It was fun tagging along, though, and I really enjoyed it. :happy:

Very happy to read that you got your mug replacements, after the first two were damaged in transit. I really like those mugs, too, with the original logos from FutureWorld.

Glad the Green option worked for you at the Dolphin. I tried that once (a few years ago), but decided against it after that. The reason was that I'd often bring food up to the room (I'm always eating . . . LOL . . . :) ), and without daily housekeeping, there would be garbage left in the basket in the room for a few days. I did finally take the plastic bag and put it outside my door in the hallway, and housekeeping removed it. But being on vacation, I preferred daily service. So I didn't opt for the Green discount on future trips to Swan or Dolphin.
That sounds like a great reason NOT to "make a green choice!" You don't want old food stinking up your room!

Bee-ewtiful report! :happy:
Why, thank you! :happy:

Living in Jacksonville, I think I recognize the I-4 to I-95 merge.
You do indeed recognize it!

Thanks for the review of Big River. I have not gone there yet, and am glad to have the info to avoid it! I was going to ask if you had tried Shula's at the Dolphin and then remembered pricey steakhouses aren't the ideal choices for vegetarians. Kinda rules out the great Yachtsman too.
Yes, we tend to stick with signatures that are known for more than just steak (California Grill, Jiko, Flying Fish, etc.). We'd like to try Artist Point and Citricos soon!

winstongator

That sounds like a great reason NOT to "make a green choice!" You don't want old food stinking up your room!

Why, thank you! :happy:

You do indeed recognize it!

Yes, we tend to stick with signatures that are known for more than just steak (California Grill, Jiko, Flying Fish, etc.). We'd like to try Artist Point and Citricos soon!
I really enjoyed Artist Point when we went a year or so ago, and I think they have a lot of fish options on the menu. We also got to visit the original Artist Point in Yellowstone this past summer. We had to stop by the Old Faithful Inn to compare to the Wilderness Lodge, and the WL captures the spirit of the Old Faithful Inn very well!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom