Compare and Contrast 2 Samsung Smart TVs

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I went to my local Costco today to purchase some every day items and I stopped in the TV section because my wife and I are going to begin shopping for a new smart tv.
I like and respect Samsung. They have free tech support that has been really reliable/helpful relating to our 2015 Samsung TV
So......
Here is Costco's details for a Samsung 65" 4K LCD TV....$1,299.99
Below that I'll place the details for Samsung's 75" 4K LCD TV....$1,199.99
Naturally I'm seeking people to post their opinions as to why the Samsung which is 75" is priced lower than the Samsung which is 65" ? 🤔
20230116_104614.jpg
20230116_104704.jpg

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I notice on the 75" tv it is identified as Samsung Q6
and on the 65" tv it is identified as Samsung Q8.
Might this be similar to how cell phones such as iphone present themselves?
iphone 12 is newer and more modern than an iphone 10?....kinda like that? 🤔

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Q8 model vs Q6. So you are comparing a high-end Q8 65" vs a lower-end Q6 75".
Thank you for that feedback.
My wife and I want a tv that will allow reliable streaming from apps such as Netflix and Youtube.
If the picture is nice and the streaming is reliable....that's mostly what we care about.
Would that Q6 75" tv meet our needs?
Why is the Q8 "better"?

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
@SteveBrickNJ my hubby and I were fans of Samsung TVs for many years and very loyal customers--we had Samsungs in the living room, and our bedroom, both of which were upgraded to Samsung Smart TVs, and I think the kitchen.

I wanted a TV for my dressing room to do my workout videos (to replace an older tube TV, I may have a dressing room but I'm not as posh as that seems :D) and we picked up a Vizio at Costco (or maybe Sam's, I don't remember). The picture was fine (and by that I mean equivalent to the Samsung, refresh rates and all that are lost on me), but what made the difference for us was that the Vizio was actually smarter than the Samsung. We were able to watch not only the usual US streaming networks like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, but also to watch the EU streamers, particularly RTE Player (which you can imagine was a huge benefit to me!). In fact, after a little while, when my mom's TV needed replacing, we gave her our big living room Samsung Smart TV and replaced it with a similarly sized Vizio. We'd always thought that the Vizio was the "cheap" brand, but it turned out well for us. We still have Samsungs, but we have Vizios in the rooms where we're likely to want to watch overseas programming.

Anyway, back to your actual question. I am not technically minded, and I do know that @wdwmagic is quite up on the tech stuff, and his answer is pretty much the bottom line.

But you probably are wondering what's the difference between the Q6 and the Q8, and exactly why the Q8 is higher-end. I can't help you there. But I googled "samsung Q6 vs samsung Q8" and found this:

1673911269500.png

Here's the link so you can read the whole scoop and hopefully decide! I'm a pretty basic TV watcher, and would probably rather have the larger TV than the "better for movies in a dark room". There's quite a difference between a 65" and a 75", at least I would think there is. Hope some of this is helpful.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
@SteveBrickNJ my hubby and I were fans of Samsung TVs for many years and very loyal customers--we had Samsungs in the living room, and our bedroom, both of which were upgraded to Samsung Smart TVs, and I think the kitchen.

I wanted a TV for my dressing room to do my workout videos (to replace an older tube TV, I may have a dressing room but I'm not as posh as that seems :D) and we picked up a Vizio at Costco (or maybe Sam's, I don't remember). The picture was fine (and by that I mean equivalent to the Samsung, refresh rates and all that are lost on me), but what made the difference for us was that the Vizio was actually smarter than the Samsung. We were able to watch not only the usual US streaming networks like Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, but also to watch the EU streamers, particularly RTE Player (which you can imagine was a huge benefit to me!). In fact, after a little while, when my mom's TV needed replacing, we gave her our big living room Samsung Smart TV and replaced it with a similarly sized Vizio. We'd always thought that the Vizio was the "cheap" brand, but it turned out well for us. We still have Samsungs, but we have Vizios in the rooms where we're likely to want to watch overseas programming.

Anyway, back to your actual question. I am not technically minded, and I do know that @wdwmagic is quite up on the tech stuff, and his answer is pretty much the bottom line.

But you probably are wondering what's the difference between the Q6 and the Q8, and exactly why the Q8 is higher-end. I can't help you there. But I googled "samsung Q6 vs samsung Q8" and found this:

View attachment 692555

Here's the link so you can read the whole scoop and hopefully decide! I'm a pretty basic TV watcher, and would probably rather have the larger TV than the "better for movies in a dark room". There's quite a difference between a 65" and a 75", at least I would think there is. Hope some of this is helpful.

This was VERY helpful! I should point out that the side by side comparison is for the 2018 models...yet I would assume that the principle of the two models for 2022 or 2023 are the same....it's still very helpful.
Thank you!

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Since the #1 thing about the Samsung Q8 that makes it superior is the "local dimming" I found this internet article...

lazyboy97o

Thank you for that feedback.
My wife and I want a tv that will allow reliable streaming from apps such as Netflix and Youtube.
If the picture is nice and the streaming is reliable....that's mostly what we care about.
Would that Q6 75" tv meet our needs?
Why is the Q8 "better"?
In short, the picture quality is not as good. The Q6 is only edge lit so it only has LEDs along the edges while the Q8 is backlit. The Q6 won’t be as bright and it won’t have the same contrast as the Q8. The built in speakers are also less powerful.

A lot of these smart TVs are not necessarily getting decent updates or access to services. They obviously have major services like Netflix but they don’t always have the best variety. Dedicated streaming devices can be had for relatively cheaply depending on the desired features.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
In short, the picture quality is not as good. The Q6 is only edge lit so it only has LEDs along the edges while the Q8 is backlit. The Q6 won’t be as bright and it won’t have the same contrast as the Q8. The built in speakers are also less powerful.

A lot of these smart TVs are not necessarily getting decent updates or access to services. They obviously have major services like Netflix but they don’t always have the best variety. Dedicated streaming devices can be had for relatively cheaply depending on the desired features.
Nice clear explanation.
Thanks!

celluloid

I'm expecting sales to precede the Super Bowl.
The Super Bowl is coming....and we have a sale....don't miss out....that kind of thing.
Experts always say wait until after. The demand is for The Superbowl. The market is more in your favor after. That is what consumer reports always told people near Black Friday. Most bang for your buck. If it seems to be a good deal before go for it.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Experts always say wait until after. The demand is for The Superbowl. The market is more in your favor after. That is what consumer reports always told people near Black Friday. Most bang for your buck. If it seems to be a good deal before go for it.
OK. I want to purchase from Costco if possible.
No hassle returns and free tech support.

celluloid

I don't. Thanks though.
It may be worth upgrading to it. I know it sounds like a pitch but genuinely, I did it before I got a 1000 dollar computer and it helped out because I get groceries there often anyway. Even if you never get to the point where you get extra money back, they will give you all the money back in the mail at the end of the year. So if you do not mind doubling the cost of the membership to get it back later at worse it may be worth it. Just to point it out. I am excited for you!

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Hi friends!
I bet some of you can confirm some things for me as well as provide additional information.
My wife and I have just one tv in our home and it has basic cable (economy package) with Verizon Fios....this smart tv is connected to wifi. We watch Netflix and Youtube. I watch regular tv for sports and news. She's just interested in streaming. So...our one and only tv is in our den.
Now we'd like to keep that tv active just as it is but purchase a 2022 or 2023 smart tv and put it in the living room. That room has a gas fireplace and it would be nice for nighttime streaming viewing to be in there.
The plan is that we won't tell Verizon Fios because won't have cable box or watch regular broadcast channels on this 2022 or 2023 tv.
We'll just plug it in......go into that new tv's settings and connect it to the wifi and enter in our wifi password.
Having done that, I am assuming I can then click on any app the tv has preloaded and/or enjoy Netlix and or Youtube with no additional cost to my monthly cable bill.
Am I correct?
If not, set me straight.
If "Yes", is there anything else I need to know....or it's that simple?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom