Common cold?

NickMaio

Original Poster
Please give this a read if you think this Virus is like the common cold.

We canceled our last minute WDW vacation. Are are unsure about any kind of travel.

Maclean's: Cancel your March break.

NickMaio

Original Poster
Sorry but by now shouldn't everyone know its not like a cold???
I mean its been drilled into our heads...
Symptoms are fever, dry cough, shortness of breath.
Does that sound like a cold...
People here are still posting that it is....and they dont understand what the big deal is.....

This post is for everyone.

bryanfze55

Half of the country trusts scientific consensus. The other half of the country is wary of experts and trusts “hunches” and “instincts.” This trend seems to correlate with political leanings, but not in every case.

I trust scientific consensus. No, it’s not sexy or cool. But I would personally say it’s better safe than sorry. And the consensus is that this is significantly worse than the flu, even if “a hunch” tells one otherwise.

WDW will still be there next year.

Parker in NYC

JIMINYCR

I believe people are informed and smart enough to know this isnt a cold. We need to take proper precautions and play it safe. But the level of hysteria the media and politicians have pushed this to isnt helping at all. Its gone beyond informing and is inflaming fear beyond the level it should be. My God, people are buying out the shelves out of water, tissues and toilet paper and fighting over hand sanitizers when they find some. When in our lifetimes has that type of panic ever happened before??? Lets be safe and take precautions but end the insane panic. This will end like so many other viruses weve lived through.

thomas998

Half of the country trusts scientific consensus. The other half of the country is wary of experts and trusts “hunches” and “instincts.” This trend seems to correlate with political leanings, but not in every case.

I trust scientific consensus. No, it’s not sexy or cool. But I would personally say it’s better safe than sorry. And the consensus is that this is significantly worse than the flu, even if “a hunch” tells one otherwise.

WDW will still be there next year.
The problem is not a lot of really known about it. In a way it is very much like the polio virus, which in 199 out of a 200 cases didn't result in anything worse than a mild cold... Now if you were one of the unfortunately few, your life was totally changed by the paralysis... and that is pretty much what we have here. Many people will experience only mild symptoms, but for others it will be worse.

It would be nice if they could test everyone in an area and then track those with it until they were free of the virus just so they could come up with better numbers on the mortality rate because at this point it a big unknown. We know of the people going in to a doctor or hospital that are showing symptoms that 3% die... but it makes a big difference if only half the people that even get the virus feel sick enough to see a doctor or maybe only 10% feel the need to see a doctor... if it's only 10% that even go to a doctor when they get sick then the 3% death rate is really only 0.3% which then isn't nearly as bad.

Shouldigo12

The problem is not a lot of really known about it. In a way it is very much like the polio virus, which in 199 out of a 200 cases didn't result in anything worse than a mild cold... Now if you were one of the unfortunately few, your life was totally changed by the paralysis... and that is pretty much what we have here. Many people will experience only mild symptoms, but for others it will be worse.

It would be nice if they could test everyone in an area and then track those with it until they were free of the virus just so they could come up with better numbers on the mortality rate because at this point it a big unknown. We know of the people going in to a doctor or hospital that are showing symptoms that 3% die... but it makes a big difference if only half the people that even get the virus feel sick enough to see a doctor or maybe only 10% feel the need to see a doctor... if it's only 10% that even go to a doctor when they get sick then the 3% death rate is really only 0.3% which then isn't nearly as bad.
I believe Ohio had 13 confirmed cases last I checked. A health official recently said they believe the real number of cases is over 100,000 in this state. Now, I find that a little hard to believe; but of it were true, it would be kind of comforting. I mean to have so many infected and have so many people not even realize because of how mild it is would speak to the threat of the virus. Like I said, I doubt it's actually that high, but in a weird way it would be comforting.

That said I still 100% agree with all of the measures being taken. Whether are numbers are off or not, the fact is we just don't know a lot about the virus and it's better to be safe than sorry.

thomas998

I believe Ohio had 13 confirmed cases last I checked. A health official recently said they believe the real number of cases is over 100,000 in this state. Now, I find that a little hard to believe; but of it were true, it would be kind of comforting. I mean to have so many infected and have so many people not even realize because of how mild it is would speak to the threat of the virus. Like I said, I doubt it's actually that high, but in a weird way it would be comforting.

That said I still 100% agree with all of the measures being taken. Whether are numbers are off or not, the fact is we just don't know a lot about the virus and it's better to be safe than sorry.
Yes, better to be on the safe side.. Unfortunately the government has already dropped the ball in some many ways that there is little that can be done at this point. A complete shut down of exclusion of anyone that had been to anyplace in China by every country would have been a good place to start... but when they finally blocked China it was already too late and at that point the better option would have been a global lockdown of every country. What we are seeing with this virus is the problems air travel can present. At least with the cruise ships you knew when it hit before they got to port and you could quarantine the whole ship... can't do that with a plane when the typical flight is only a few hours long... enough time to pass a virus but not enough to show any symptoms.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Please give this a read if you think this Virus is like the common cold.

We canceled our last minute WDW vacation. Are are unsure about any kind of travel.

Maclean's: Cancel your March break.

I believe you were wise to cancel. Yes, the Parks are down.... but there is a bigger issue. One WE anticipated, when we canceled our APR trip.

The Airlines. As we suspected ... International, and perhaps NATIONAL travel in the US, is getting wacked faster than a game of "wack a mole". So in the end - what to do if stranded in FL?

Regardless of WDW's Park Closure timeline? Transportation (other than car), is going to go down, down, down. Then? It will require a good LONG time for it to go back "up" :(. And this is probably the right thing to do. Pandemics are only accelerated by swift transportation, area to area :(.

Walt Disney1955

80,000 people have died from the flu (500,000 a year) since the beginning of the Coronavirus outbreak. 5,400 have died of the Coronavirus. Just saying, stay calm and chill people, don't be like these corporations who bow into every little thing.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
With an infection rate of 1:2.2, after 11 iterations you get to just about 100,000 cases.

Chef Mickey

We get it. It's not exactly the flu.

But guess what? That might be a good thing because the flu is #%#% lethal. Ready for some facts?

According to the CDC, 80,000 AMERICANS (not worldwide, just America) died from the flu in 2018. 80,000. That number has been reported as high as 600,000+ worldwide during the same YEAR.

COVID-19 has currently has killed around 5,800 people, which is sad, tragic, and unnecessary because of some stupid behavior in China.

However, at what point do you think the media is doing a disservice by creating what cannot be described as anything but mass hysteria over something that has yet to even approach the above facts of the flu in a single year?

We should be taking precautions. We should be vigilant. But should we keep doing what we're doing?

I understand the talk about built up immunity, treatments like Tamiflu, and vaccines for the flu...but ask yourself - How can 80,000 people die from influenza if we have a handle on the flu? Shouldn't we be more afraid of that? Why is this so much worse?

Sure, maybe COVID 19 is more contagious. Some studies show it might be. It may have a higher mortality rate? May. Currently, we do not have the number of cases to extrapolate any death rate over a larger number. Doing so is irresponsible. Dr. Fauci has even said death rates will decrease as more positive cases are confirmed. So the media should stop saying it's 20-30X more deadly than flu...that's a headline to scare people and isn't even necessarily true.

Ebola was 900X as deadly as the flu, but ultimately...it wasn't as bad because of its own reasons.

Sure, this is a problem. But it sure seems like the media cares a hell of a lot more about the ratings and click boosts they get from propagating fear than putting things in perspective.

Again, we may ultimately see that this is the worst thing ever. I just think we need to have a sanity check and the flu is pretty damn bad itself, despite it being a "different" thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom