Coming up with a new name for my fictitious park

mharrington

Original Poster
This is a sort of a continuation of an older thread here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-do-i-explain-that-my-park-is-fictitious.976059/.

I think one issue may have been trying to come up with a name for this Disney park, where German and Portuguese are spoken. I think if a name can be created, it could help. But I haven't really got any ideas for names, though. I've tried to come up with a few, but none of them seemed to work. One name was Berlisilia (a made-up city which combines elements of Berlin and Brasilia, but where would it go? It would require a full-on top-to-bottom description of an alternate time in history, like worldbuilding. I'm not the most creative person in the world, and I'm definitely poor about being as creative as this. It's tough enough to do a park as it is. I prefer to control the imagination rather than let it run wild.

Another idea was to set it in a world that technically was created beforehand, but still mythical, such as Xanadu, based on a poem by Samuel Coleridge and made famous in a movie from 1980. The problem with that is that not only does Xanadu/Kubla Khan not have anything to do with reality, interfering with my desire to have a Soarin' attraction here, as it has flights over real landmarks and ends in the location you're in, but I don't believe Brazil or Germany have had anything to do with this.

Still another idea of mine was to maybe go with a name taken something like "Scala ad Caelum", which means "Stairway To Heaven". I got the name from the Kingdom Hearts games, incidentally.

But still, nothing seems to really work. How can I come up with at least a name (if not a location) for a Disney park where German and Portuguese are spoken? At least "Berlisilia" blended sort of well, but another challenge is the somewhat friendly relations Germany and Brazil had had during WW2.

The fact is, as someone autistic and literal-minded, I tend to overthink things a lot because I want things to be done a certain way.

Can anyone come up with a way to give a name to this Disney park idea of mine?

MickeyMouse10

I was going to say you could go with Distopia, but I saw this on Google. .... I guess it kinda fits how the Disney Castmembers feel though."

"Dystopia - an imagined state or society in which there is great suffering or injustice, typically one that is totalitarian or post-apocalyptic."

mharrington

Original Poster
I think you have to come up with an overall theme first then the name will come to you.

I was going to say you could go with Distopia, but I saw this on Google. .... I guess it kinda fits how the Disney Castmembers feel though."

"Dystopia - an imagined state or society in which there is great suffering or injustice, typically one that is totalitarian or post-apocalyptic."

Distopia sounds too depressing, to be honest.

Anyway, the park will be a new castle/Disneyland park, which will take at least partial inspiration from this initial concept for Hong Kong Disneyland:
fetch

In particular, Adventureland and Frontierland will be merged into one, as in the concept art, becoming one big Adventureland. Other elements of my park will take some inspiration from my old thread on Disneyland Curitiba: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...-in-a-new-location-open-brainstorming.927310/.

The fact that it's another Disneyland doesn't really tell me anything at all for a new name. In the past, it was always "[name of city park is located in] Disneyland", or in the case of Disneyland Paris, "Disneyland [name of city]". Only once did the specific name of the city not get used, when Disneyland Paris was first called Euro Disneyland. It was initially called that to represent all of Europe, not just France, but it was interpreted in financial terms, since obviously a Euro is a form of currency, which did no good when it became clear that Euro Disneyland was doing pitifully. Thus, they changed the name.

Obviously, since it's not located anywhere, then it's going to be very difficult to come up with a name for this Disneyland park without a location for it to go into.

The only other name I could come up with is Disneyland Nowhere, since that's where it's located: nowhere (and yes, I also got the idea from a Beatles song), but that sounds too on the nose, I think.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

Another name I thought of was Disneyland Kingdom, which sounds kind of redundant, I think.

Yeah, that might be too similar to Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. I've had the same problem though. The one I've been thinking about lately is ... Disney Universe, but that is pretty similar to Universal's new park.

I figure that each of the land's entrances could look like a portal to a different world.

mharrington

Original Poster
Yeah, that might be too similar to Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. I've had the same problem though. The one I've been thinking about lately is ... Disney Universe, but that is pretty similar to Universal's new park.

I figure that each of the land's entrances could look like a portal to a different world.
Yeah, I don't want this to get mixed up with Universal.

The concern I have with Xanadu is the origin of the reference. According to Wikipedia, it refers to Shangdu, the ancient summer capital of Kublai Khan's empire in China, which in turn inspired Coleridge's description of Shangdu in his poem "Kubla Khan", wherein he describes Xanadu as "a metaphor for opulence or an idyllic place". Further, I have no knowledge of Xanadu in German or Portuguese. The Wikipedia pages in German and Portuguese still refer to it as "Xanadu", with no translations.

What's more, I was thinking of including Soarin' in this park, but like all versions of the ride, it would end in the park it's set at, or at least, in the case of Shanghai, the city the park is found in. But obviously, Xanadu is not a real place.

MickeyMouse10

Also, "Disney Universe" is a video game.

Yep, I know about the video game. I think they ended the updates years ago. It's too bad it seemed like a good idea, but unfortunately it failed miserably.

The name is still a possibilities for other things like theme parks though.

mharrington

Original Poster
Yep, I know about the video game. I think they ended the updates years ago. It's too bad it seemed like a good idea, but unfortunately it failed miserably.

The name is still a possibilities for other things like theme parks though.
But as you said, the name sounds a little too Universal-like. And besides, there is also the issue of what kind of universe? I would think that Walt Disney World is a kind of universe in itself. Universal, too, for that matter.

Anyway, getting back to Xanadu, I was thinking of including Soarin' in this park, like in Shanghai, but like all versions of the ride, it would end in the park it's set at, or at least, in the case of Shanghai, the city the park is found in.

Actually, I believe Xanadu is a real place, in Mongolia, so I don't think that's going to work. So the search for a name continues. And until I do come up with a name, I can't work on the park itself, so it's just stuck in a sort of purgatory. The name should reflect both Brazil and Germany. I don't know how, though. Any ideas?

MickeyMouse10

But as you said, the name sounds a little too Universal-like. And besides, there is also the issue of what kind of universe? I would think that Walt Disney World is a kind of universe in itself. Universal, too, for that matter.

Anyway, getting back to Xanadu, I was thinking of including Soarin' in this park, like in Shanghai, but like all versions of the ride, it would end in the park it's set at, or at least, in the case of Shanghai, the city the park is found in.

Actually, I believe Xanadu is a real place, in Mongolia, so I don't think that's going to work. So the search for a name continues. And until I do come up with a name, I can't work on the park itself, so it's just stuck in a sort of purgatory. The name should reflect both Brazil and Germany. I don't know how, though. Any ideas?

FC4_GAMESCOM_SLA_MOUNTAIN.0.jpg

Perhaps you could do .... Shangri-La, the Mystical Valley.

This way you could make your "Soarin'" more like "Flight of Passage" and create whatever world you want. Rather than have it set in our world.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

Whoa, what a coincidence! After searching I see that you've already come up with that one before. Maybe it's meant to be.

mharrington

Original Poster
FC4_GAMESCOM_SLA_MOUNTAIN.0.jpg

Perhaps you could do .... Shangri-La, the Mystical Valley.

This way you could make your "Soarin'" more like "Flight of Passage" and create whatever world you want. Rather than have it set in our world.

But that's the thing: I want "Soarin'" to be set in the real world, because it's easier than creating an entire world of my own. I'm not the most imaginative person in the world. I don't even speak German or Portuguese.

What's more, I have never been on Flight of Passage, nor do I intend to as I've been underwhelmed by Animal Kingdom when I first went in 2002.

What's also more, Shangri-La, like Xanadu, seems to have its origins in Asia. Again, I don't know of any German or Portuguese influences there, either.

The only other thing I can think of is "Scala ad Caelum" (or "Stairway To Heaven"), which is derivative of a level of "Kingdom Hearts III". According to the page on the KH Wiki site:

As a world built over the remnants of Daybreak Town, it is believed to be the nexus from which all worlds spring, having once served as a seat of power for all Keyblade wielders.

Except, like most non-Disney levels in the games, this one seems to describe almost literally what goes on in these worlds (i.e., Destiny Islands, Twilight Town, Daybreak Town, Radiant Gardens, etc.). In this case, the "heaven" aspect is also somewhat literal as the buildings are built on top of one another to reach toward the heavens.

One reason I kept trying to come up with a park with German/Brazilian influence is because I was looking for an excuse to see how names of rides, dining, shopping, etc., would translate into different languages, sort of like this German-language guide map for the Magic Kingdom way back when (circa early 1989):
thumb_magic1_0.jpg

thumb_magic2_0.jpg

Most guides nowadays, though, don't translate the names into appropriate languages, just keeping the original English instead.

mharrington

Original Poster
There is one other one I thought of, and that is Disneylandia, which was apparently an early name that Walt Disney had thought of for the park: https://disneynerds.com/2016/03/12/...mouse-park-more-of-the-disney-that-never-was/.

It also takes some inspiration from the Brazilian Portuguese name of the Disney anthology series. At one point in Brazil, the show was called "Disneylandia". This video shows a clip of that, from an episode featuring Goofy:

mharrington

Original Poster
Okay, I may have finally found a name: Disneyland Heart, named, at least in part, after the Kingdom Hearts games.

MickeyMouse10

Of the two I'd go with Disneylandia. The other one sounds like something that most nongamers wouldn't get. Based on the name, they'd think it's a Disneyland themed to love.

mharrington

Original Poster
Of the two I'd go with Disneylandia. The other one sounds like something that most nongamers wouldn't get. Based on the name, they'd think it's a Disneyland themed to love.

I thought of "heart", not just because of the KH games, but also because it can indicate that it's not necessarily tied down to any place (or non-place). It can be something of an emotion, if that's even possible.

The problem with Disneylandia is that it's just an "-ia" suffix away from sounding too much like the real Disneyland, either in California or in Paris, where the technical name for the castle park is just Disneyland Park, not actually Disneyland Paris, which is apparently the name of the resort as a whole. I don't get that either, in case you were wondering.

mharrington

Original Poster
Still another idea is taken from this video below:

Anyway, another idea was to go with calling it Disneyland Plus, after the streaming service. I just wish I could find out what the contents are on the respective versions of the service in Germany and Brazil, but I can't find anything. For obvious reasons, I can't access the versions of the sites itself. I have access to the service, but it just redirects me to the regular English version. I would love to have access to a list of the contents of the sites in Germany and Brazil, because I don't think it's entirely the same.

MickeyMouse10

Germany has Marvel, Pixar, Disney, Star Wars, National Geographic and also Star (which we don't have in the states).

"Star’s addition has become the talk of the town because of the broad range of content for a mature audience. Now there is a lot of content available on Disney+ for adults thanks to the movies and shows produced by Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, 20th Century Studios, and so on."

MickeyMouse10

The park could be really different if you had only Disney+ exclusive characters. Like The Mandolorian, Monsters at Work, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Muppets Haunted Mansion, She-Hulk, Loki, etc. It would separate from all of the other Disney parks because it would have different IP's and overall a different theming.

You could even have the lands represent the different Disney+ apps like Marvel, Pixar, Disney, Star Wars and The Muppets.

Adventureland = Marvel
Frontierland = Pixar
Liberty Square = Muppets
Fantasyland = Disney
Storybook Circus = Disney animal related movies (Lady & the Tramp, Chip & Dale)
Tomorrowland = Star Wars

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom