Coming from NC questions.

DisDadWoz

We are going to be driving from the Charlotte area for our first trip since moving there. As we have never drove this "route" before does anyone have any tips they can share? We are doing the drive in one day so the plan is probably going to include one stop based on the mileage. I'm concerned about what traffic is like especially once we get into Florida and then I-4.
Thanks!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I suspect you will be taking I-95 south. If that is the case I can at least help you with the Jacksonville part.

I would take the east side I-295 followed by the 9B extension to bypass all the construction just south of the Fuller Warren Bridge on I-95. The exit will be on your right just after you pass the airport. While the traffic is not too terrible around the construction on I-95, the project is near completion so traffic patterns are changing pretty frequently. I drive the area almost daily and I have had a few catch me by surprise.

Do not under any circumstances take the west side of I-295. Not only is the route longer, but it takes you through some of the most hellish traffic Jacksonville has to offer.

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

Original Poster
I suspect you will be taking I-95 south. If that is the case I can at least help you with the Jacksonville part.

I would take the east side I-295 followed by the 9B extension to bypass all the construction just south of the Fuller Warren Bridge on I-95. The exit will be on your right just after you pass the airport. While the traffic is not too terrible around the construction on I-95, the project is near completion so traffic patterns are changing pretty frequently. I drive the area almost daily and I have had a few catch me by surprise.

Do not under any circumstances take the west side of I-295. Not only is the route longer, but it takes you through some of the most hellish traffic Jacksonville has to offer.
Thanks! How much in tolls? Are there any?

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Speaking of tolls, we usually take 417 off of Route4 to avoid the mess that 4 is through Orlando. We pick it up in Sanford and take it all the way to DisneyWorld. It's a toll road, but well worth it to us. We have a Florida Sun Pass so we don't have to stop at the toll booths.

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

You'll likely take the I 77, I 26, I 95, I 4 route to avoid some of the I 95 traffic. I agree about taking the 295 east route around Jax. And the 417 toll road between Sanford and WDW is definitely worth the money - less than $10, I think.

It's about an 8 hour drive from Charlotte. Once you hit the 95, all you can do is keep up with traffic or keep to the right lane. The Florida Welcome Center is a good rest stop. Clean bathrooms and fresh orange juice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yensid67

I am driving from PA 'SOON';) and I am going to heed Master Yoda's advice and take 295 East to 9B...
Listen wisely to the Master!

--Will

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LIMA TIME

I'm in Charlotte, and have made this drive about 15 times. It is an easy drive, with no tolls. Watch you speed in Columbia and in south Georgia. The construction on I-26 is finished, so the drive flows.

Safe travles

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

Original Poster
Our trip down went very smooth. No issues other than a few folks who refuse to leave the left lane. ;)
Absolutely correct about the speed in southern Georgia. We saw several instances where they had several people pulled over at the same time. Jacksonville had some slowdowns with the construction, same with downtown Orlando but we made it through both without issues.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom