Comcast Xfinity to be new NASCAR sponsor after Sprint leaves - what does this mean if anything for U

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Original Poster
So rumor is Comcast Xfinity will be new NASCAR sponsor after Sprint leaves - what does this mean if anything for Universal assuming they will have to pay a large amount to be the title sponsor for that

Nick Wilde

So rumor is Comcast Xfinity will be new NASCAR sponsor after Sprint leaves - what does this mean if anything for Universal assuming they will have to pay a large amount to be the title sponsor for that
I doubt it will affect Universal Orlando. At least not anything noticeable.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Original Poster
well Comcast is one company. It has a pool of money. A lot goes to universal parks and now a ton will also go to NASCAR if true. That was my thinking here if the gobs of money they have been throwing at the parks will slow to throw some another direction.

JT3000

Well that was kind of bad timing for NASCAR Grille to leave recently if this partnership does hold true. Maybe it'll come back lol.

Hopefully it doesn't. And I couldn't be happier that it's gone. It took up prime real estate that deserves something higher class. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nascar merchandise showing up in completely random places now though.

R W B

Hopefully it doesn't. And I couldn't be happier that it's gone. It took up prime real estate that deserves something higher class. I wouldn't be surprised to see Nascar merchandise showing up in completely random places now though.
I personally liked it and was kind of bummed when it left. I wouldn't mind a come back.

mousehockey37

Well, we're all paying for it now. I have Comcast and my bill just went up. Higher broadcast fees and a *NEW* SPORTS broadcast fee. As well as they slightly raised my regular cable portion of my bill. I have basic comcast, 100 channels, no hd, no dvr, and 1 extra little box for my bedroom plus internet... yeah, the bill is getting to be a little outrageous as it is the highest bill I pay besides rent... :banghead:

My friends who have Time Warner saw the same type of increases.

BTW, if you have Comcast or Time Warner and "rent" a modem from them, go online or to Best Buy or somewhere and do yourself a favor. Buy your own compatible modem for your provider. It may be a little pricey to start, but it'll pay for itself usually within a year.

heath.sneyd

Not a rumor, this is old, confirmed news.
http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-me...ach-10-year-series-entitlement-agreement.html
well Comcast is one company. It has a pool of money. A lot goes to universal parks and now a ton will also go to NASCAR if true. That was my thinking here if the gobs of money they have been throwing at the parks will slow to throw some another direction.
You'll see the primary initial investment to brand the series, and the majority of sponsorship monies transferred initially. The only other real investment will be the travelling vendor exposition, which would consist of about 3 or 4 loaded semis that go from race to race, branded with logos and packed with what will probably be mobile internet demo stations and show-off type exhibits. Past 2015, the majority of the sponsorship will be paid, leaving only residual and maintenance left to be accounted for.
I personally liked it and was kind of bummed when it left. I wouldn't mind a come back.
First it was NASCAR Cafe, then the majority of those closed due to high prices, and illogical placement nowhere near NASCAR tracks (I think Johnson City, TN may have been the closest, a 30 minute drive away from Bristol Motor Speedway). Las Vegas was the last surviving "Cafe", with the Orlando and Hampton, VA locations becoming "Sports Grille" restaurants. Vegas is demolished, and Orlando is probably already gutted, leaving Hampton, VA (outside of Newport News) the only surviving, licensed, NASCAR themed restaurant. Even with this, I doubt you'll see a return of anything like it in the area, or anywhere period.
Rumor has it NASCAR Grill is becoming Xfinity's NBC Sports Arena. With this deal I would expect NASCAR to still have a relativly high presence.
Does not sound too far off, sine NBC is the exclusive broadcast network for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup races.
BTW, if you have Comcast or Time Warner and "rent" a modem from them, go online or to Best Buy or somewhere and do yourself a favor. Buy your own compatible modem for your provider. It may be a little pricey to start, but it'll pay for itself usually within a year.
Vouch. Just did this for my GF with a modem and separate router and it's working 20 times better. Literally, ran a speed test. :)

You've probably just found one of the biggest NASCAR fans here at WDWMagic.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Just to clarify for the OP and others, Comcast Xfinity is taking over the Nationwide Series, not the Sprint Cup. That's (to incredibly oversimplify) the 2nd tier of Nascar racing, not the one that gets all the press and many know the names of the drivers from.

The big news a couple weeks ago is that Sprint will not be renewing their contract after 2016 (that's two more seasons). As far as I know, no sponsor has been named (or even realistically rumored) for Sprint Cup from 2017 forward.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We went to the Nascar Cafe back in 1999 (or 2000), pretty soon after it had opened. Really enjoyed it. Kind of sad to see that it is leaving - we enjoy uniquely themed places (or just unique, not necessarily themed) to go. I know that a more generic not-ESPN branded sports restaurant has a greater draw, but you can find those all over the place.

I actually wonder how Comcast partnering with Nascar could impact the use of the Nascar brand at the Richard Petty Driving Experience.

Tony Perkis

Rumor has it NASCAR Grill is becoming Xfinity's NBC Sports Arena. With this deal I would expect NASCAR to still have a relativly high presence.
Makes sense, especially considering NBC's efforts to position NBC Sports Network as an all-day sports alternative to ESPN (similar to Fox Sports 1).

heath.sneyd

I actually wonder how Comcast partnering with Nascar could impact the use of the Nascar brand at the Richard Petty Driving Experience.
As long as RPM has the contract to run at WDW Speedway, there will be zero impact. Comcast sponsoring the secondary (Grand National) series is just that, a sponsorship. All the NASCAR style cars at RPDE are Cup Series cars, so even there you couldn't made direct ties to the Xfinity Series, as it will soon be called.
Makes sense, especially considering NBC's efforts to position NBC Sports Network as an all-day sports alternative to ESPN (similar to Fox Sports 1).
NBCSN is where about half the Cup series races will air in 2015, so that'll be a major boost in viewership and ratings.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom