Comcast Likely to Keep Disney Theme Parks

cherrynegra

Original Poster
I just saw this come over the net at Yahoo News. Thought you might all find it interesting.

Comcast Likely to Keep Disney Theme Parks

Mickey Mouse will stay on the Walt Disney payroll welcoming children to the Magic Kingdom if Comcast Corp.'s offer for the company succeeds, and the bidders said they would be all ears when it comes to sprucing up the Disney theme parks.

As details of Comcast's surprise $50 billion offer for Disney began to emerge on Wednesday, among the most asked questions was: What about the theme parks?

Comcast executives told Reuters they would be more inclined to keep the parks than to sell them.

"We believe the theme parks could be revitalized. It's a great business," Stephen Burke, executive vice president at Comcast, told Reuters in an interview. Burke is a former Disney executive and former president of Euro Disney.

Comcast said it plans to drive attendance at the parks through advertising and cross-promotion at attractions, hotels and concessions.

That view makes sense, according to analysts who called the parks a key to the Disney brand.

"The theme parks' value is not in the rides. It's the Disney brand. Kids go there to see the characters they know from the movies," said Barry Ritholtz, chief market strategist at Maxim Group, a global money management firm whose clients own Comcast and Disney shares.

Disney's parks business has struggled to recover from the recent U.S. recession and the tourism slump that followed the Sept. 11 attacks.

Still, the business -- encompassing such properties as the original Disneyland park in California, Disney World in Florida, Tokyo Disneyland and a minority stake in debt-strapped Euro Disney -- accounts for nearly a third of Disney's revenue and has unmatched brand power.

While many theme parks around the globe continue to suffer from decreased visitors, attendance at Disney parks has been improving.

In December Walt Disney said its California Adventure saw a 13 percent rise in 2003 visitors and Disney's Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World and Tokyo Disneyland were No. 1 and 2, respectively, worldwide in visitors for the second year in a row.

Industry sources say Comcast would never sell the parks and risk alienating the children drawn to the parks by Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and the other characters.

"The Disney theme parks, unlike Universal or SixFlags, are a Disney product, and have that cache. It's the perfect family fare and the parks have no value without the Disney characters," said Ritholtz.

Another incentive for Comcast to keep them is just how hard it would be to sell them, analysts said.

Any buyer would have to negotiate a cumbersome license in perpetuity for the rights to the names and characters, Cathay Financial analyst Andy Baker said.

"They wouldn't want to sell rights for Mickey Mouse and the other guys, and what's a Disney theme park without them?" said Maxim Group's Ritholtz.

"My guess is that Comcast will keep it all together."

MagicalMonorail

First of all, let's hope this Comcast thing will all blow over. Hopefully Uncle Mikey will keep "his" company for now. Secondly, if they touch the theme parks, they will be jumped.

Steve4wdw

Originally posted by MagicalMonorail
Secondly, if they touch the theme parks, they will be jumped.

Yeah..something about everyone that's a member on this website as well as RADP and other news groups that'd probably plan a little get together at comsat headquarters....and you thought the turkey legs at MK were big now! ;-)

meanmice

I'm confused, which is not hard. this sounds like it would be good for the parks. The only bad thing I can see is that Disney would no longer own Disney. Can someone put this a little simpler for me. Would they be buying the whole shabang?

Billy6

As long as I never have to go to Comcast World....or ride Cable Tv Mountain at Wireless Kingdom....i guess it would be ok..

I dont think the Disney name would change or anything as far as that..Maybe they would pump more money into Imagineering and things like that....I would never go if all the "Disney-ness" was gone..that would be sad, very sad...

from what I get from that news statement and others..they are interested in the media(ie movies, tv shows, stuff like that)...maybe sponsor a few rides..Plus think of the cable channels we would get in the resorts!!!! Yeah?...

Anyways, just dont fool with the Disney World Experience and all is good

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by cherrynegra
That view makes sense, according to analysts who called the parks a key to the Disney brand.

"The theme parks' value is not in the rides. It's the Disney brand. Kids go there to see the characters they know from the movies," said Barry Ritholtz, chief market strategist at Maxim Group, a global money management firm whose clients own Comcast and Disney shares.

it drives me NUTS when people call Disney a 'brand'! it makes it seem so manufactured. :brick:

jwbeck3

If this merger goes through, there will no longer be The Walt Disney Company. This would be horrible. It would be Comcast-Disney corporation......this isn't Disney buying something like normally, this is Comcast buying Disney.

HMGhost13

ok as a fan of the haunted mansion RIDE, i find this very disturbing. i for one do NOT want to see rides reflecting movies that were basis for movies in the first place. in short no "New ride based on the movie based on the old ride" kind of deal.

as much as i am disliking Eisner, i'm not to savvy on this comcast either.

darthdarrel

Originally posted by meanmice
I'm confused, which is not hard. this sounds like it would be good for the parks. The only bad thing I can see is that Disney would no longer own Disney. Can someone put this a little simpler for me. Would they be buying the whole shabang?
IF you think about it Disney doesn`t own Disney now... Eisner does.
Roy is the last Disney to have anything to do with the company and he resigned.

Disney2002

Worries Worries

I wouldn't be too concerned about any buyout.

People keep worrying about Disney disappearing. It is too valuable a property to dissolve upon acquisition. It will be maintained and developed... why else would Comcast be spending $66b on the deal?

When a company is bought out, it doesn't disappear. If you look at the history of some of your favorite companies, you'd be amazed to see who owned whom at what point... and yet brands continue.

GE owns NBC

Viacom owns MTV, VH1, SpikeTV, CBS, etc

RJR Nabisco was the merging of RJReynolds Tobacco and Nabisco... cigarettes and oreos.

jrriddle

Sorry to have to bring the bad news.
Found this at CBS Marketwatch:

Disney parks seen worth $18 billion
By Edward Carpenter, CBS MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 5:32 PM ET Feb. 11, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS.MW) -- Walt Disney's amusement parks could be worth $15 to $18 billion, according to an analyst picking apart the entertainment giant after Comcast's $66 billion hostile takeover bid.

While no one on Wall Street can guess exactly what will happen with Disney's (DIS: news, chart, profile) struggling parks, they wouldn't fit with Comcast's aim to sweeten its channel content, in the view of David Mantell, cable and media analyst for Loop Capital Markets.

The bid by Comcast (CMCSA: news, chart, profile) (CMCSK: news, chart, profile) is widely seen by analysts to be a move to acquire Disney-owned ESPN and ABC, as well as its stakes in the E! Entertainment, A&E and Lifetime cable channels and in the History Channel.

Although a top Comcast executive vowed that the parks would remain part of the Disney portfolio should the takeover bid succeed, Mantell said, "It's kind of hard to imagine the theme park side being a part of Comcast's business." Discuss the bid.

Disney has parks in California, Florida, France and Japan. Another is scheduled to open in 2005-06 in Hong Kong, according to Disney's Web site.

While Comcast probably wouldn't keep the parks over the long term, it has 21 million viewers to whom it could cross-market visits and vacations, Mantell said.

Entertainment companies that own amusement parks and could be potential Disney bidders include Vivendi Universal (V: news, chart, profile), Six Flags (PKS: news, chart, profile), Cedar Fair (FUN: news, chart, profile) and Viacom (VIA: news, chart, profile) (VIAB: news, chart, profile). Viacom owns a substantial stake in MarketWatch.com, the publisher of this report.

While the price tag of $15 to $18 billion doesn't necessarily eliminate any of the park companies as bidders, a potential suitor would have to carefully weigh the purchase price, the cyclical nature of the business and that amusement park attendance generally has faltered in the wake of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and the war in Iraq, Mantell said.

"That's a pretty massive acquisition for anyone," Mantell said.

Annual revenue from Disney parks and resorts has tumbled

jrriddle

Re: Worries Worries

Originally posted by Disney2002
RJR Nabisco was the merging of RJReynolds Tobacco and Nabisco... cigarettes and oreos.

MMMMMM...cigarettes and Oreos....
Now that's a merger I can get in to.

Disney2002

That's a poorly informed piece.

That piece isn't terribly savvy regarding the business, it would seem.

First off, who can afford to purchase the spinoff of the theme parks from this deal. $18 billion... that's really low... since they will have to pay for perpetual licensing.

Regarding the comments on the theme park business, Disney has been the only park to exhibit growth since 9/11, around 13%. The magic kingdom in FL was the most attended park the last 2 years in a row... that is a world statistic.

I bet whoever ends up buying Disney keeps the parks and loses some of the other holdings.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Re: That's a poorly informed piece.

Originally posted by Disney2002
That piece isn't terribly savvy regarding the business, it would seem.

Maybe not, best tip watch /read as many different articles on the subject as you can find, lok and see if any have a common thread or gut feeling in their stories. Remember these city types are just gamblers, except they gamble with your pension fund and tend to follow the herd. So if a few start to sing about it being a good thing expect othesr to folow suit.

HumanOddity

Well... if anyone thought the parks were heading in a negative direction under Eisner, it appears to me that Comcast won't even care about them based on these articles. I know probably about 99% of the posters on this site hate Eisner, but maybe he isn't so bad, after all compared to what a very real alternative would be. At least Eisner cares enough about the parks to make periodic visits... I bet the collective of faceless suits who run Comcast won't set foot in WDW. Hey, most of you people want Eisner gone... be careful what you wish for.

prberk

Re: Re: Comcast Likely to Keep Disney Theme Parks

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek
it drives me NUTS when people call Disney a 'brand'! it makes it seem so manufactured. :brick:

I cannot agree more.

A "name" is earned for yourself. A "brand" is blazoned on you by your owner.

Disney has name recognition, true. But it is much more than a "brand."

I wish the business school junkies who came up with "brand management" would realize that they have taken the concept way too far. Without a quality PRODUCT or a respected NAME, even the most well-marketed BRANDs will only go so far. Get back to worrying about the PRODUCT and the NAME that it has made for itself in actual value.

JeepGuy77

I heard that Comcast CEO is friends with Roy Disney. You cna check out their proposal on www.comcast.com. They basically talk about strengthening all parts of the company and focusing on animation and theme parks. Also, if Comcast takes over, Eisner would be gone, and wouldnt that mean that Roy Disney could come back? or oversee who gets hired? Hmmm...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom