Comcast Could Buy Disney

jrriddle

Interesting early analysis from CNN:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/11/commentary/bidask/bidask/

The Mouse without Mike?

Comcast's hostile bid for Disney means Mike Eisner is going to have to look for other suitors

By Justin Lahart, CNN/Money senior writer
February 11, 2004: 9:32 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - To figure out what a combined Disney and Comcast is worth, first you have to figure out what Disney is worth. More specifically, Disney without Michael Eisner at the helm.

More, to judge from the unsolicited takeover offer Comcast put to Disney shareholders Wednesday morning, but not all that much more. Comcast's bid represents a 9.7 percent premium over Disney's close Tuesday.

Investors will likely view the bid as lowball. Typically the initial offer in an unsolicited bid values a target at some lower price than the would-be buyer is willing to pay; this way the ante can be upped later. Furthermore, a lot of analysts' valuation models put Disney at a much higher price. Credit Suisse First Boston's, for instance, values Disney by nearly 30 percent higher than where it closed Wednesday.

"Comcast is trying to steal Disney when the company is at a weak moment," said Brad Ruderman, head of the Beverly Hills, Calif.-based hedge fund Ruderman Capital Partners, who owns shares of both companies.

Much of the weakness in Disney's share price is due to the perception, merited or not, that CEO Michael Eisner has become a liability to the company. Roy Disney and Stanley Gold quit Disney's board last year over their long-running dispute with Eisner, and have called for his ouster. In another blow, late last month Pixar pulled out of talks to extend Disney's five-picture deal to distribute Pixar films.

Because Eisner has apparently rejected Comcast's advances, it is unlikely that he would have a job at the combined company.

Eisner appears to have rallied the support of several large shareholders recently, buffering himself against the criticism levied against him and allowing him to hit back against Roy Disney and Gold. But that support might not last now. If Comcast were to withdraw its offer, Disney shares would almost certainly fall. And nothing irks shareholders more than seeing their stock decline.

To counter this, Eisner will likely look for other suitors -- ones that will offer him a role. It shouldn't be hard to find companies that are willing to take Disney's hand.

"You have a group of irreplaceable assets that are now on the block," said Ruderman. "This is going to be a broad and ugly fight. I think Viacom will join the fray. Newscorp, too. Time Warner would like to, but can't for fiscal reasons."

The crown jewel of all these assets is ESPN, whose success other companies have been unable to replicate.

For Disney shareholders, a bidding war would be a profitable ride -- but it's essential that a deal eventually gets done. If not, Disney's price will fall and the pressure on Eisner to leave the company will intensify.

Shaman

Originally posted by jrriddle
Interesting early analysis from CNN:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/02/11/commentary/bidask/bidask/

The Mouse without Mike?

Comcast's hostile bid for Disney means Mike Eisner is going to have to look for other suitors

By Justin Lahart, CNN/Money senior writer
February 11, 2004: 9:32 AM EST

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - To figure out what a combined Disney and Comcast is worth, first you have to figure out what Disney is worth. More specifically, Disney without Michael Eisner at the helm.

More, to judge from the unsolicited takeover offer Comcast put to Disney shareholders Wednesday morning, but not all that much more. Comcast's bid represents a 9.7 percent premium over Disney's close Tuesday.

Investors will likely view the bid as lowball. Typically the initial offer in an unsolicited bid values a target at some lower price than the would-be buyer is willing to pay; this way the ante can be upped later. Furthermore, a lot of analysts' valuation models put Disney at a much higher price. Credit Suisse First Boston's, for instance, values Disney by nearly 30 percent higher than where it closed Wednesday.

"Comcast is trying to steal Disney when the company is at a weak moment," said Brad Ruderman, head of the Beverly Hills, Calif.-based hedge fund Ruderman Capital Partners, who owns shares of both companies.

Much of the weakness in Disney's share price is due to the perception, merited or not, that CEO Michael Eisner has become a liability to the company. Roy Disney and Stanley Gold quit Disney's board last year over their long-running dispute with Eisner, and have called for his ouster. In another blow, late last month Pixar pulled out of talks to extend Disney's five-picture deal to distribute Pixar films.

Because Eisner has apparently rejected Comcast's advances, it is unlikely that he would have a job at the combined company.

Eisner appears to have rallied the support of several large shareholders recently, buffering himself against the criticism levied against him and allowing him to hit back against Roy Disney and Gold. But that support might not last now. If Comcast were to withdraw its offer, Disney shares would almost certainly fall. And nothing irks shareholders more than seeing their stock decline.

To counter this, Eisner will likely look for other suitors -- ones that will offer him a role. It shouldn't be hard to find companies that are willing to take Disney's hand.

"You have a group of irreplaceable assets that are now on the block," said Ruderman. "This is going to be a broad and ugly fight. I think Viacom will join the fray. Newscorp, too. Time Warner would like to, but can't for fiscal reasons."

The crown jewel of all these assets is ESPN, whose success other companies have been unable to replicate.

For Disney shareholders, a bidding war would be a profitable ride -- but it's essential that a deal eventually gets done. If not, Disney's price will fall and the pressure on Eisner to leave the company will intensify.

Interesting indeed....so does this mean that they have to merge with someone (Comcast or someone else)....can't they just NOT merge...or is that impossible at this stage in the game?

Terp02

I just had a thought, and be it a crazy one, what if Disney merged with a company, got back itself back on track and really successful, and then split. Is this possible? I'm not close to anything of a business person.

Also what if Disney merged, but then the top company went under, a la AOL/Time Warner, which is just now Time Warner.

I mean we'll see what happens.

The money issue is the biggest thing, and unless the Disney family can get back into the picture, it looks like something's gonna happen in the next few years.

Disney seems to be on the same decline as Universal has been recently, but who knows........

I too am a pessimist, most times.

BeachClubVillas

I don't like this one bit! What is going on with our wonderful Disney company? Or at least, what used to be our wonderful company. If Comcast took over, the theme parks would end up looking like another Six Flags or something...they wouldn't be anything special anymore. I mean, they're not talking about a partnership like Disney had with Pixar. They're talking about a merger!!!!!!!! That means more cutbacks and probably even less staff in the parks, which are already hurting as it is.

I never thought I would say this, but go Eisner! :hurl:

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by DME
This is absolutely horrible. This would mean that another entity would have final say other than the Walt Disney Company.

I agree - Comcast has no family value whatsoever! They're just another huge conglomerate of ______-ridden, family unfriendly crap.

If the spineless Disney executives allow this ignorant transaction to take place, the Disney as we know it is GONE forever. It will be even more commercialized, focus will go toward TV and Movies rather than the parks, and management will become bigger and more ignorant than they already are.

If it happens, my trip this past June may very well have been my last.

jrriddle

At this point it MIGHT be too late.
As the article said Eisner would most likely be let go if the merger happens. To stop this he has to find someone else to merge with that will still offer a good deal to the share holders.
It's really up to the share holders. If they like Comcast's deal they will say good bye to Mike and take the offer. If Mike can come up with another merger offer (which I can't imagine who), with someone who will keep him in power then they may reconsider.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Originally posted by jrriddle

There are always openings for castmembers aren't there? Maybe he could work behind a counter somewhere.:lol:

jrriddle

I wouldn't get too worried as of yet. Let the analysts figure things out before we all jump to conclusions. Keep your eyes on the Finance sites, Al has some good links at Miceage.

cherrynegra

I almost slammed into the car ahead of me on the way to work today when I heard on NPR what Comcast had going. They started talking about the Disney company and I thought it would be another analysis of the upcoming shareholders meeting and the fight over Eisner, and then he started talking about the Comcast deal. "Sorry Lady. Didn't mean to ram your pretty BMW. I just hear some horrifying news."

I really don't know what to think of this offer. There have been so many developments in the past months that it's starting to look like an episode of Dynasty. I need to look at more analysis of this deal, although my gut reaction is to vote no. Disney would completely drift away from it's origins if this deal went through, and my fear is that the parks will get the short end of the stick.

On the other hand, I do like some of the ideas proposed that the parks get sold off to Roy and company. That would be great. Yet some of the early analysis say that Eisner may have to look for another suitor, preferably one that will let him be at the helm or absorb into their management. Boooooooo to that idea. So many scenarios. But as for now I'm just trying to take a breather. What a ride!!!

MouseRight

A cable company, known for bad customer service running Disney. AARRGGHHH!!!!

Some of the above comments suggesting Eisner will sell out are pretty far off of the mark, IMO. Unless this is a dynamite deal for the shareholders (which it isn't) in terms of value they will get for their shares, he and the Board have considerable influence over this. Look at the Oracle bid for PeopleSoft. That has been going on for a long time. Oracle recently raised it by 1/3 and PeopleSoft Management (Who hates Oracle Chairman) and Board have recently rejected the offer. My bet is that Eisner and the Board will fight this tooth and nail, we will see a better offer, it will still be rejected, and the fight will go on for some time. Then if it is agreed to, then the FCC and Justice Dept have to review it. FCC Chairman has already said this morning that the FCC will review this through the "finest filter". Nevertheless, this could go through if the shareholders and the Board support it. Also, there are some laws that insure that the shareholders be given the decision making power in these types of deals and they may apply to this deal. Also, Comcast can do a tender offer (Offer to buy the stock on the open market at a set price by a set date) and take the deal directly to the shareholders.

Unless Roy is working with Brian Roberts of Comcast (I sure hope not), it is time for him to join back with Eisner to "Save Disney". The legacy and heritage that we have all been talking about in recent weeks can only survive and prosper if Disney is an independent company. Read all of the books. The main reason Eisner and Wells were brought in was to preserve the Company's independence and continue the legacy. It was paramount to all involved at the time that it be so and it is still paramount today.

I for one would hate to see this deal go through.

cherrynegra

Yes, upon further reflection, I had momentarily forgotten the 30 minute wait when I went down to the local Comcast cable office to return some malfunctioning remote controls. There was absolutely no entertainment or theming in the line. :lol: And the people working behind the counters were as friendly as a Taliban firing squad. Hmmm....not too sure about this deal.

ct00000

Well I, for one, am very exicted about the possibilites. I work for Comcast now, and have always wanted to work again for Disney. This may be my ticket to Disney.
:sohappy:

As far as Comcast, as a company, I am very pleased with Comcast's values and focus. True, all company's have some problems, but overall Comcast is a great company to work for.
Magic aside, all companies (especially Disney) are only concerned about the bottom line: $$

prberk

The sad part about the whole thing is that the Walt Disney Company until most recently has been a universally accepted national (and international) treasure, always operating independently and thus having control of its assets and its name.

Any other company owning it obliterates what is left of that autonomy and integrity. I say "what is left" because much of the integrity and sense of national pride in Disney has been diminished anyway as the company has grown and diversified, bringing people and businesses into the fold that had no reason to care about Disney's heritage.

Sadly, this is all an outgrowth of the "diversification" and non-Disney growth of the company over the years. Not too many years ago, the public would have cared (like they did in the 1980s) about hostile takeovers from companies who might not keep traditional Disney values. But now, the public has heard so much about Disney owning/operating in so many other areas, that it hardly thinks of Disney any more than as a diverse, money-making machine. So, they are not likely to care like they would have. To many, the damage is already done; and it was done from the inside.

jrriddle

Here are the early results:
What Comcast is really after is ABC and one would presume ESPN, The Disney Channels, etc.
Being a cable provider the Disney film library would give them excellent content to put on the networks.
This is what we don't know. What would happen to the Theme Parks and the Studios?
The head of Comcast from what I've read is a real go-getter. He wants the company to be a giant in the industry so he may keep it all, not selling anything off because of his ego and ambition.
Or he may sell off parts of the company like GE is rumored to do with Universal (Note to OLC: Please purchase the theme parks).
But after seeing in the annual report, how much the parks (especially WDW) bring in each year, I don't see him splitting up the company.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
alright... that's it

*pulls out Amex Black Card*

I'm buying Disney!!

You can all thank me later

Attachments

• amexblackcard.jpg
    amexblackcard.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 225

prberk

Originally posted by ct00000

Magic aside, all companies (especially Disney) are only concerned about the bottom line: $$

There is more to life (and business) than money, especially in the short-term. Unfortunately, too often Wall Street looks too closely at short-term gain.

In the long run, businesses benefit most from long-term, high-quality investments that the customer appreciates. They return. And the money comes.

So, when companies stare at the "bottom line" (especially quarterly), it's like driving a car by constantly watching the white line. You might stay in the lane, but you will not get as far or as fast as the driver who focuses on the horizon and sees the white line (and oncoming vehicles) in his/her peripheral vision.

People buy the Walt Disney Company products and vacations because of years worth of trust that comes from long-term investment, accompanied by some short-term deals along the way.

SamatBCV

Originally posted by MouseRight
A cable company, known for bad customer service running Disney. AARRGGHHH!!!!

Some of the above comments suggesting Eisner will sell out are pretty far off of the mark, IMO.

You are right. If everyone reads the letter closely, the fact is that Comcast went public with this because Eisner rebuffed them when they talked to him privately about it. I'm not generally an Eisner fan, but at least he is not going to sell out to Comcast. Let's just hope the rest of the shareholders have the same good sense.

ct00000 - I understand you like working for Comcast and think they are a good company. They are a decent cable company (except for raising prices every few months). However, there is a difference between being a cable company and running Disney. Yes, Disney is a company that cares about the bottom line like everyone else, but you imply that they care more about making money than other companies: "all companies (especially Disney)" Many people at Disney know it about more than making money. I doubt that could be said of many other companies out there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom