College Program-- WDW rides.. Please Help

wagner92

Original Poster
Hey guys--

I got accepted again into the Spring 2003 WDW college program (couldn't go last year...) and I requested a lifeguard job but didn't get it. I instead got an operations cast member role. Since I will be spending 1/3 of my time at Disney on a certain ride or rides, I thought I would ask all of you to think back to when you were at Disney... and what rides had the most interaction with the cast members. I don't want to be on a specific ride that consists of only checking safety bars and I would like to be on a e-ticket ride (who doesn't) but since that wouldn't be realistic, I would like to hear your ideas. (Keep in mind-- I am deaf and thus wouldn't be able to do something like the Haunted Mansion where the cast members do some talking (and my voice isn't clear enough to be understood by 100% of people... only 90% of people and that's too little!)

I would also like to have a spiffy costume. It seems like most all of the costumes are original from the 1977 issue date. (That's my major complaint with the WDW parks-- update the freaking costumes! LOL!) So... think back to which rides had the most interaction with the cast members... maybe even some acting... I consider myself a fair actor... Thanks.

Josh Wagner

Kenan

Actually, Operations is divided into 3 different areas...
1) Attractions such as Test Track and Dumbo
2) Parking such as directing traffic and driving trams
and..
3) Front Gate where you stand as the guest swipes their card through

I was on the Spring '02 program and worked at Test Track. My costume could be better but thank god the ride opened in 1999 so I never had to wear old costumes, unless I worked Fastpass. Sorry, but at fast paced E-ticket rides, there are usually very minimal guest contact because you are constantly moving. But everyone has their own way in creating that special Disney Magic. I know I did. SHIPS

isnet396

If you want to get more of an "interactive" feeling going, try looking into ToT, or HM. They have *lots* of fun with guests, plus people like to ride them and they're looking for the experiance. You could also try out the Backstage pass tours at MGM.

Hmm. I can't think of a lot else that has lots of flare to it....:/

Ian

-meargh- you beat me to it.....

MicBat

I hope to enter the college program in spring of 2004. I hope to go into operations or transportation (particularly-monorail :) ) Any suggestions?

wahooskipper

When I got hired in '92 for the WDWCP, we didn't have a choice where we were going. Based on the interview, if you got offered a job the rep decided where you would be placed.

I am a pretty outgoing, non-shy guy and I guess for that reason I was put on Jungle Cruise. I couldn't have had a better rides job, in my opinion. HOWEVER, my friend got hired as a custodian and he probably had a better overall experience than I did. He wasn't tied down to one location all day and he had a TON more guest interaction than I did.

figmentbaby

Hey guys,

I was just accepted last week to the spring college program for operations too! I was thinking of doing the same thing Josh was talking about. The only problem is, I'm in a really intensive architecture program at carnegie mellon university and they wont allow me to go. How sad =*( Does anyone know a way around this, as in transferring to the summer program? I know it's a minimal chance, but I could always try!

Thanks a million!

Jen

PuertoRekinSam

As the campus rep for my school, Towson University, I know for a fact it it almost impossible for a non-alumni to do the summer program. it's just too short of time to get you trained. I wish there was some way around this for you but unless you really impress your recruter, it's very unlikely. Try getting a job at the Disney store between now and then, that way you have a little understanding of what it's like to be a castmember. (I've also worked at the store, it's not exactly like it is in FL. but it'll give you a good idea)

:)

MicBat

Originally posted by PuertoRekinSam
As the campus rep for my school, Towson University, I know for a fact it it almost impossible for a non-alumni to do the summer program. it's just too short of time to get you trained. I wish there was some way around this for you but unless you really impress your recruter, it's very unlikely. Try getting a job at the Disney store between now and then, that way you have a little understanding of what it's like to be a castmember. (I've also worked at the store, it's not exactly like it is in FL. but it'll give you a good idea)

:)

I was reading at the WDWCP website that as a campus rep, you get merchandise and stuff. What kinds of merchandise do you get and what exactly do you do?

TURKEY

Originally posted by MicBat
I was reading at the WDWCP website that as a campus rep, you get merchandise and stuff. What kinds of merchandise do you get and what exactly do you do?

Last year, I got 4 one day park hoppers. 1 campus rep sweatshirt, 1 campus rep t-shirt, a couple of bumper stickers, picture frame, and a big blanket.

This year so far, I've got a nice campus rep. polo shirt and a deck of playing cards with quotes from kids on the CP. Angelique is on the 3 of hearts.

Lhriangel

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Last year, I got 4 one day park hoppers. 1 campus rep sweatshirt, 1 campus rep t-shirt, a couple of bumper stickers, picture frame, and a big blanket.

This year so far, I've got a nice campus rep. polo shirt and a deck of playing cards with quotes from kids on the CP. Angelique is on the 3 of hearts.

*looks confused* we get park hoppers? *didn't know that LOL*

*huggles her polo shirt* I LOVE my polo :).. and My recruiter said I was famous cause I'm in the deck *feels specials*. I think it's cool though.. even though I probally only got quoted cause I quoted Walt...

MicBat

Wow! That's awesome!! Do you have to be chosen to be a campus rep? If so, how do you get chosen?

Lhriangel

Brent didn't say what we did so I will. As a recruiter we recruit from our campuses for people who would like to interview for the CP. We put up posters, talk to people, get the people who are accepted together after they have been accepted.. (which reminds me Brent I have a question for you next time I see you on MSN LOL).

You also help out at the presentation :). I like it.. I get to talk about Disney without too many people giving me a wierd look hehe.

TURKEY

Originally posted by Angelique
*looks confused* we get park hoppers? *didn't know that LOL*

*huggles her polo shirt* I LOVE my polo :).. and My recruiter said I was famous cause I'm in the deck *feels specials*. I think it's cool though.. even though I probally only got quoted cause I quoted Walt...

I got 2 hoppers for Christmas and then 2 at the end of the spring semester with my blanket that I use for cover during my naps.

Angel..just send me an email or PM. MSN and AIM aren't working for me right now.

Lhriangel

I got 2 hoppers for Christmas and then 2 at the end of the spring semester with my blanket that I use for cover during my naps.

Angel..just send me an email or PM. MSN and AIM aren't working for me right now.

yeah but aren't they only good at WDW? I'm still stuck out in LA until I get an AI .. (IF I get an AI but that's a whole other story I don't want to get into lol).

And you and naps.. I think I should start taking them .. lol... I want a cool blanket hehe.

Okay I'll PM you.. *throws things at your evil computer for not letting MSN or AIM work...* Hmph.. mean thing....

MicBat

Sounds like fun! I cant wait! By they way... they recruiter said when she was the, sorta, RA at the apartments, she saw some crazy things! What sort of things go on in these apartments? :eek:

Lhriangel

Sounds like fun! I cant wait! By they way... they recruiter said when she was the, sorta, RA at the apartments, she saw some crazy things! What sort of things go on in these apartments? :eek:

Let me prefix this with the fact that this is what I OBSERVED... not who I am...

TONS of parties.. people staying at each other's appartments till upwards of 3/4 in the morning. People doing just about anything at any time of the day... late night hot tub parities.. lots of loud music.. people having "sleep overs" (none at my aparmtent) and alot of people maturing and growing up. The CP does that to you :).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom