College Program Questions

naoboo

Original Poster
Hi everyone! A friend of mine and I plan on applying for the college program next Fall semester (2010). I've already looked through past CP related threads on this forum, which was a great help, but we have a few questions I haven't found the answers for that the official website doesn't fully cover. Some are about the program itself, and some are about the benefits. I know we could contact a representative, but I'd love to hear some answers from people who have actually been through the program. :)

1) There are so many jobs to choose from, and the website doesn't say much about them beyond the basics that I could have guessed at myself. So what job did you do, and what was your typical day at work like? Right now I'm interested in Merchandise or being a Photo Pass photographer, but it would be great to hear about the other jobs as well.

2) What would be the advantages for art students? I'm a Graphic Design major (my friend is in Illustration), and would love to have the chance to meet someone working in the creative side of Disney (like Imagineering!), but it seems like most of the program is geared more towards business, management, and hospitality.

3) I know you aren't required to take the classes, but are there other learning opportunities? I keep reading about being able to meet people who work higher up in Disney, but is that through the classes or does the program offer another way? None of the classes that are listed seem very beneficial for an art student, and I'm stumped at how I could meet or just listen to a talk by someone in the art/design field.

4) Do you get a chance to pick your roommate? Since my friend and I both plan on applying for next Fall, it would be great if we could live together.

5) The website says you get discounts from community stores. Does this mean Disney run stores, or are they businesses off the property?

6) What's the big difference between the Fall Program and the Fall Advantage Program? Are there any special benefits, or does it mean you just work a couple of extra months?

7) The website says one benefit is "A Main Entrance Pass that allows you to admit as many as three friends or family members in to our theme parks six times during your program" Does that mean the same three people up to six times or up to six times with three different people each time?

8) Like many CP students, I would love to work for Disney full-time someday, but how difficult is it for a CPer to get accepted for an internship or a job outside of the parks? Can you even apply for an internship right after you've done the College Program if you've already graduated from your university?

I do realize that's a lot and it might be hard to fully answer any of them, but a little extra insight on any of those questions would be a big help! If you know any other forums or websites I could ask these questions on, that would be wonderful too. I'd rather hear about the experience from people who've done it first hand before I contact the program itself. :)

sum41914

Lets start off with, great questions im sure my answers as well as many others here on the board will be glad to share some of their answers and help any way they can. I did the CP in May-January of 2006-07 (Fall Advantage) then I went back the following Summer for the Summer Alumni, and then following summer 2008 for yet another Summer Alumni. I have done MK Parking, Merch at the TTC, Quick Foods at MK and DAK.

1) I did Parking Operations ( Operations/Attractions at the time 2006) lots of fun, met so many people, drove the parking trams, spieling on the back, lots of breaks as we were out in the sun alot and really long hours, its pretty much expects that as a CP you'll get some long hours in certain roles. Merch was fun, I was at Mickeys gift station at the Transportation and Ticket Center, just a mile outside of Magic Kingdom, time flew by when I worked in there, stocking shelves, helping guests. Quick Foods at both MK and DAK, there were fun for the most part, lots of cleaning and constant guest flow, I worked at Stands East at the MK, all the fod stands (not ice cream carts, or popcorn carts) to the right of the castle and fantasy land. DAK however, I had my good days and bad days there lots of guests, lack of communication among CMs, and DAK being a huge park kind of tired everyone out...

2) I being a graduated hospitality major was glad to see many of the other majors that did the program found ways to move up in the company other than hotels and restaurants. Roommates being Criminal Justice and Theater majors, found what are called speaker series given at Disney University every so often by the head of theme-park security and a backstage tour of Fantasmic (really cool pictures), lots of chances to meet with higher ups and get your name out there. There are lots of Imagineering speaker series. When you check into your apartment complex they will give you a fold out calender of housing, Disney U, and park events so you can keep up with everything.

3) Like I mentioned above, Speakers series at Disney University, walking tours of many of the attractions and parks. Marketing You is a pretty good course, it will allow you to learn some of the skills you may need to network with other people, inside or outside of Disney. There are also chances for actual meet and greets with execs, and imagineers. Alot of my classmates had set up shadowing of area managers to further their skills of management and networking.

4)They do have a roommate match.com type of thing, I haven't used it so I really can't answer with alot of confidence.

5) There are tons of places both on and off Disney property that let you use your discount, just by flashing your ID at AMC theater at Downtown Disney on Tuesday (thats the day it was in 2008) got you a $5 movie ticket during the normal $8 times. Then there is Panera Bread right outside of The Commons that give you a Disney Discount. They give you book with pages and pages of the lists of places your disnount is good for. they also tell you to just ask at any place, whats they worst they could say to you? "No". It probably however doesn't work at Universal or Sea World...:eek:

6) Fall Runs roughly August-December and Fall Advantage May-December into January.

Benefits would be getting into Central FL for the 4th of July and seeing what a FL Summer is like while working in the Theme Park capital. You get to meet the CPs from the Spring Advantage. Plus who wouldn't want to live in central Florida for just a little longer?

7) You get 6 days worth of park hoppers for up to 3 people. These 3 people can be friends, family, some "Friend" you met at City Walk or House of Blues, whomever (they discourage selling these tickets however so don't) but the guests you let in don't have to be the same everytime.

So lets say the first time you use your Main Gate Blue Pass you let in Mom, Dad, and Timmy. Thats fine you lets three in, you'll get 3 park hoppers from the turnstile CM, they can use these for re-entry to any park for 1 day and can use fast passes from them.
Now your go to use it the second time, letting in Meg (an old friend) and her boyfriend Rick (they go way back) bringing your guest count to 2. This means you will have let 2/3 guests in with you and have forfeited the last 1/3 for today.
3rd times the charm, you let Mom, Rick and Beth (Ricks second GF) in (Awkward), 3/3 no problem.
4th time You get your old cheerleaders Paula, Susie, Jen in 3/3 sweet
5th time Family's back in town all 3 of em are here sweet.
6th time Meg found out Rick was cheating so Meg wanted to spend some time with you at one of the parks, you let her in only use 1 out of 3 and forfeit the other 2, what a good friend...

Explaining Blue passes gets a little tricky so I tried, anyone else care to hone in is welcome.:confused:

8) Lots of my CP co-workers and neighbors stayed on after their program ended, they found a condo down there and stayed for a while, still talk to em every now and then.

For the professional internships, I would speak to my area manager asap and let them know your intentions, 9/10 they have done the same thing, they can help get the paperwork started, get you those interviews, but its not a cake walk, they can give you the tools you need you need to do the running around. I have made it to the second round of interviews for the IP but have had to decline my offers for family reasons and other things. You must successfully complete a CP in order to be considered. You can also apply for the CP during your last semester so you would be attending in what would be the semester following your graduation.

Wow lots of information, hope I helped a little, anymore Questions fireaway here or hit me up on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Jonathan.Warren.1 or Twitter: www.twitter.com/jonwarren914

Tinkrbell

sum 41914 pretty much answered all your questions, but I can tell you about working in costuming.

I worked at ops at Epcot & Hollywood Studios, character room at Epcot, Block Party Bash, & Fantasmic.

Ops is where everyone who works out in the park gets their costume from. The costumes are checked out using a computer system thats pretty similar to checking out books at the library. It was okay working there, lots of checking people out & putting clothes away after they came back from the cleaners.

At character room, I built the costumes (make sure they have all the correct pieces & are scanned to the same tag.) There was alot of laundry involved too. There are some costume pieces (mostly the smaller stuff) that cant get sent to the cleaning service, so we would have to wash it there. It was pretty fun when only doing laundry for the day, you were really busy for a little while, then dead while everything was in the machines.

Fantasmic & Block Party Bash were pretty similar. Get there 4-6 hours before the show/ parade. Set all the costumes that are going to be used that day (basically make sure everything is the right size for the performer & nothing is missing.) About half an hour before Block Party is supposed to start, we would go to step off. Wait till the performers show up & help the characters get ready. Head to step down & help the characters as they came off the parade route. At Fantasmic, we would head outside about 10 minutes before the show & help the first group of people get ready. During the show, we were helping people get dressed & undressed for costume changes. Keep in mind, Fantasmic is outside at night, so everything is done by either flashlight or in the dark. You get to know what you're doing really fast.

I loved doing costuming. You're backstage all the time, so you don't deal with guests, but you get to know the character performers really well. After working in costuming for awhile, you find that you really enjoy going to the character meet & greets in the park more because the characters recognize you.

Hope that helps give you an idea of what another job does.

TheBeatles

I did Full Service Food and Beverage and Recreation

FSFB was ok. It was non-stop interacting with Guests and basically just taking them to their seats. You also check people in for their reservations and since you are the person at the podium, you also hear every complaint/compliment.

Recreation was pretty laid back. You aren't bothered by managers and the Coordinators are primarily concerned with Lifeguards. Rec hosts typically stand by the docks at resorts that have boat rentals. The days are long and it's hot outside and you do a lot of standing around. Other duties are/could be arcade, kids activities, cashier or area cleanup.

naoboo

Original Poster
Wow, thanks for the answers! I didn't expect them all to be answered so thoroughly.

sum41914 ~ You really helped a lot! I guess would've figured out the answers on my own if I just waited 'till the program started (if I get in!), but who would want to wait a year? :)

Tinkrbell ~ Costuming is actually in my top 5 choices, so it was great to hear what that's all about.

TheBeatles ~ Thanks, I didn't really understand what Recreation meant. I often forget that WDW has plenty of other activities to do outside of the parks.

So, one more question ~ how often do you get breaks while working? I'm no stranger to working long hours without getting a chance to sit down, but what if you're outside all day? I don't know how long I'd be able to last out in the sun and heat.

TheBeatles

So, one more question ~ how often do you get breaks while working? I'm no stranger to working long hours without getting a chance to sit down, but what if you're outside all day? I don't know how long I'd be able to last out in the sun and heat.

It depends on how long you work for. When I worked 6 hours shifts I'd only get 15 or 30 mins. If I worked 8+ hours I would always have an hour. Some locations are very liberal with breaks and some are not.

Trust me, I'm the guy who thought I'd never make it through the Florida Summer standing outside all day. Well, at times it was hard, but you kinda get used to it. Sure, I'd be sweaty and gross everyday, but I made it. We also had shade and lots of fluids to keep us going.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
1) There are so many jobs to choose from, and the website doesn't say much about them beyond the basics that I could have guessed at myself. So what job did you do, and what was your typical day at work like? Right now I'm interested in Merchandise or being a Photo Pass photographer, but it would be great to hear about the other jobs as well.fficefice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p
I worked Downtown Disney Operations. Basically I worked at PI before they opened up the island at the turnstiles carding/wristbanding people. It was hell – I’m not going to lie – I hate dealing with obnoxious drunks. Then I got cross-trained at Cirque Du Soleil in box office and fell in love with the show. I also served my time in the DisneyQuest box office (ZZZZZZ).

2) What would be the advantages for art students? I'm a Graphic Design major (my friend is in Illustration), and would love to have the chance to meet someone working in the creative side of Disney (like Imagineering!), but it seems like most of the program is geared more towards business, management, and hospitality.

My major had nothing to do with my ‘role’ – I signed up for the college program simply because I’ve always wanted to work for Disney and I heard about the CP back in high school.

3) I know you aren't required to take the classes, but are there other learning opportunities? I keep reading about being able to meet people who work higher up in Disney, but is that through the classes or does the program offer another way? None of the classes that are listed seem very beneficial for an art student, and I'm stumped at how I could meet or just listen to a talk by someone in the art/design field.

Networking, networking, networking! I didn’t take any classes either but I did get to ‘shadow’ the Cirque Stage Manager for a night and also got a tour of the PI clubs and their sound/light equipment. My major in college was Theatre, stage management. I had a blast seeing ‘how things work’ – as your manager about networking

4) Do you get a chance to pick your roommate? Since my friend and I both plan on applying for next Fall, it would be great if we could live together.

I can’t answer this one – I had my roommates randomly selected.

5) The website says you get discounts from community stores. Does this mean Disney run stores, or are they businesses off the property?

There are TONS of local businesses that offer Disney CM discounts – just ask!

6) What's the big difference between the Fall Program and the Fall Advantage Program? Are there any special benefits, or does it mean you just work a couple of extra months?

Basically it just means you’re there longer! You can, however, extend your program. I was on the Fall Program and ended up extending for an entire year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom