College Courses

CJR

Original Poster
Hello, I thought I'd ask for feedback about Disney's college courses. I am thinking, specifically, about taking Human Resource Management. Something I am concerned about is that (by looking at the syllabus) their courses appear to be overwhelming. I'm not a lazy student, but know that I'll be working full time at the parks and would like to have some free time to relax while I am in Florida. Do the classes take up all free time or is there still time to enjoy yourself?

I know from experience that the course is usually better than the syllabus makes it sound, but am unsure if I should take the course while in Florida or though my local university. Thanks for your help/feedback!

getfuzzy77

I took Organizational Leadership and People Management during my CP. The classes were only one day a week and work was pretty good about working around that for me. The work wasn't overwhelming, and my group found plenty of time for us to work on our final project. When you sign up for the classes during your first day you'll be asked what classes you want to take and can also ask the people there what their opinion is. I wanted to take two college classes (the PM class was a trial course Disney started), but I was advised against it. I'm glad I did, but I really had a lot of fun! Hope that helps!

gatorcard83

As a former CP and Campus Rep, the first thing to consider is college credit. Have you talked to your university about whether they will accept credit for the course? Not all universities will let the course transfer over, my university for example gave me 3 credit hours for the college program (3 credit hours for completing an internship/co-op) but would not give me any credit hours for the college program classes since they were technically under a different accreditation association.

If you know the answer to that question already or just want to take the class for your own personal development, my personal opinion is that they are not overwhelming by any means. Most classes meet 1 day a week for 3 - 4 hours (usually it will be on one of your scheduled days off) and there is usually a 1 - 2 projects and a final exam. The material usually is not overwhelming since the instructors know you are working at least 5 days a week and the material I found gave me a lot of practical knowledge. Another thing is that the classes do not meet during the busy times. For example when I took a class in the Spring 2005 session we did not meet for 2 consecutive weeks during Easter and Spring Break since most of us were on mandatory 6 day weeks. I imagine it is similar for the Summer (July 4th week) and Fall (Thanksgiving and Christmas week) sessions as well.

Overall if you are interested in the subject I would say go ahead and take it. You have a chance to meet some great people outside of your apartment and normal work area, and the workload is very manageable. Remember this as well, unless the class is a requirement to get credit for the program through your university, you can easily withdraw if you feel the material is taking up too much of your free time and it does not hurt your standing with Disney at all. When you get down on your program go ahead and ask about it there since they will be able to give you an even better understanding of the courses.

Bug715

I took HRM when I was there last semester. It wasn't overwhelming when it came to homework but became a pain to have to sit in class for 4 hours on my day off. But I needed the credit so it had to happen.

CJR

Original Poster
Thanks for your help. I think I am going to plan on giving the class a shot. My university already told me that they'll accept the credits so that is not an issue.

My actual interview for the CP is on Thursday, but I'm confident that I'll get in. I got accepted last year so unless I say something really stupid, I should get in this year. The difference is that I am 100% sold on going this year where last year I didn't have parental support. So, if I get accepted, I'm definitely going. I'm probably going to take HRM since that class replaces one of my required classes at my university. Again, thanks for the info, it makes the decision a lot easier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom