Coco and the Mexico Pavilion Brainstorm

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
The rule of thumb for me and a good movie is if i see it and im still thinking about it hours/days later.

I can safely say that with Coco now! So thank you MonorailRed for convincing me:D

As the movie progressed we kept pointing out different scenes and how it would really transform the pavilion with color and bright ambiance that might give it new life (even on the day of the dead) ;)

Will be back with more thoughts over the next few days but I'm curious what others who have seen the film think would be a good way to bring Coco into the Mexico Pavilion?

@tcool123 @Sped2424 @S.P.E.W I'll tag you all since we were just talking about it but everyone feel free to chime in:)

tcool123

I may have thought up a land already :oops::p;)
Here's the rough outline -
Santa Cecilia

upload_2017-11-25_0-51-1.png

This new land will be split into an outdoor and indoor section. The outdoor being composed mainly of shopping and dining along with some entertainment, and the indoor being The Land of the Dead in which guests enter a tunnel with the floor being the marigold bridge which is an LED panel walkway which when stepped on leaves footprints similar to the way it was in the film. Projections will be used to the side to show more and more marigold bridges. while ahead of guests will be a projection of a forced perspective city with alebrijes flying in and out as the sky busses maneuver through the city.

Mariachi Plaza -

pinatas-coco.png

Guests will go down the main street of Santa Cecilia to reach this location however along the way guests will see The Arte de Alebrijes, Santa Cecilia Music Box, and Musica Cafe. Additionally some carts and street vendors will be set up selling puppets, flowers, fresh fruit and juice, and Coco merchandise. A 'Rivera' shoe shiner will be available periodically in the day offering shoe shines for a dollar.

Dia de los Muertos flags are strung along the street above guests, and marigolds will also be crossing above acting as garland, and strung down street lights. "Petals" will be dotting the pavement leading to the stores and restaurants to the graveyard, Panteon Santa Cecilia. Mariachi Plaza is denoted by the statue of famous songwriter Hector Rivera who has replaced Ernesto's statue. A plaque beneath him reads "The true musician of Santa Cecilia". Off to the side of the statue is a gazebo in which Los Serpientes play traditional mariachi music, but occasionally will play a song from the Coco soundtrack. Also in the plaza near the entrance to Panteon Santa Cecilia is a meet and greet where guests can meet Miguel Rivera, a face character.

Continuing in Panteon Santa Cecilia guests will continue on the path of petals into Ernesto's mausoleum, and this is where guests can enter and exit the Land of the Dead on the marigold bridge.

Rivera Property -

coco-5.jpg

In the outskirts of Santa Cecilia lies the Rivera Property surrounded by a protective wall, and on the outside is an awning with a trash can underneath. Periodically throughout the day a 'Rivera' family member knocks on the can taking off the lid, and an animatronic Dante pops out to greet guests. Dante will be able to react to many different questions with different barks, looks, and expressions. He will be controlled by a hidden castmember. Leading past Dante guests will once again get onto a trail of petals into the property leading to La Offrenda. Guests will be able to go inside the room, and see all the portraits of deceased family along with their offerings. Off to the side is a ordering station where guests will be able to buy edible sugar skulls, pan de muertos, and candied pumpkin.

Back into the home's courtyard guests will be able to either enter Rivera Shoes the first Disney operated shoe store within the parks, and as such will have exclusive merchandise made by the 'Riveras'. On the wall lies a shelf showcasing the first chancleta that each mom used for their respective child; these chanclas should get across the fright they cause their family members by simply existing. Across Rivera Shoes is Abuelita's. Guests will dine on authentic Mexican cuisine cooked by Abuelita as she welcomes you into her home for Dia de los Muertos after all here you are family. Exiting the property will lead guests to a wall set up with Hector's guitar, notes, and letters to Coco. The path of marigolds lead guests to Panteon Santa Cecilia, and along the way is Familia Theater. Familia Theater houses Coco - A Musical Spectacular a 60 minute musical spectacular in the vein of the Frozen show at DCA. This show will include new songs to go along with those that already exist. The theater's lobby will have a concessions booth, and a restroom for guests to use.

The Land of the Dead

coco-trailer.png

After guests cross the marigold bridge they are transported to the ironically lively Land of the Dead. All around guests are brilliant lights, aerial trolleys traversing the skies, shows occurring, skeletons meeting guests, boats floating around the city, and of course Pepita flying above guests. Upon entering guests are also met by Rivera Plaza home to the now famous deceased Riveras. Here guests will be able to board The Flight of Pepita, an aerial coaster which takes guests high above the skies, and for a wild ride around the indoor space. It will be a fun family coaster. Upon exiting guests will enter Gifts of the Ofrenda, and they might run into Mama Imelda and Hector. continuing down a nondescript path takes guests to the village of the forgotten where the entrance to El Rio de los Muertos awaits. Guests will board a boat made of reeds, and travel through the city taking in the sights. Guests aboard this ride will see a plot in which Ernesto attempts to be remembered again, but is caught by the police. Outside the ride's exit is a meet and greet with Ernesto de la Cruz.

Going the other way at Rivera Plaza leads guests to the entertainment district. Here guests will be able to see Sunrise Talent Show in its entirety from the film, but with less Remember Me and more diversity in songs performed. Also in this area is a large papaya and a cactus which looks like Frida Kahlo. Here is where Frida - A Dance Troupe performs their extended dance and acrobatic routine from the film. This culminates in everything catching fire. Josefina's a table service inspired by deceased celebrity chef Josefina Velázquez de León is present. Adjacent is Remember Us a Coco themed gift shop, and Autobus de los Muertos a relaxing aerial ride similar to peoplemover in concept throughout the indoor portion of the land; the windows have AR technology so guests can look for alebrijes throughout the land which change throughout the day.

Attractions:
- Famalia Theater (D-Ticket)
- El Rio de los Muertos (C-Ticket)
- The Flight of Pepita (C-Ticket)
- Autobus de los Muertos (B-Ticket)

Entertainment:
- Los Serpeintes : Mariachi Band
- Coco : A Musical Journey
- Frida – A Dance Troupe
- Sunrise Talent Show
- Meet Miguel at Mariachi Plaza
- Meet Dante at Rivera Shoes
- Meet Mama Imelda and Hector at The Flight of Pepita
- Meet Ernesto de la Cruz at El Rio de los Muertos

Restaurants:
- Abuelita’s (Table Service)
- La Offrenda (Quick Service)
- Musica Café (Quick Service)
- Josefina’s (Table Service)

Stores:
- The Arte de Alebrijes
- Santa Cecilia Music Box
- Rivera Shoes
- Gifts de la Ofrenda
- Remember Us

A bit overboard, but I'm sure of my ideas could be incorporated into an overlay for the Mexico pavilion.

DisneyFan18

If the attraction would be based on the movie, I would love that the final scene is a montage of
Proud Corazón, with a Mariachi suit Miguel AA and a Dante AA in place of the Three Caballeros AAs, and the whole scene would be in the Rivera household! Basically that scene would be the ending of the movie. Just image how beautiful that would be. Also I would highkey want a La Llorona and Un Poco Loco scene

Kman

Just thought I'd say that we watched Coco for the first time over the holidays and I was blown away. It was such a beautiful film in many ways from the animation to the story line to the music and characters etc. I loved it and I see now how this could be such an amazing overlay in the Mexico pavillion without compromising the original intent of the WS too much. I don't cry often in movies but I had some tears at the end when Miguel sings to Coco...that was super touching! That was the best Disney movie I have seen in a long time and maybe ever.

Miru

A Coco attraction could easily be an expansion. I support the Rivera shoe store idea. Maybe with audio animatronic Miguel as a major feature. Maybe in the Halloween season Ernesto de la Cruz takes over Gran Fiesta Tour?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom