CMs going over the top or just having off days

Bender123

Eeeek! If that is how my original post came across, than I am terribly sorry guys! I only wanted to know if you peeps had any other similar experiences with CMs just leaving you with that off-feeling. Not Disney trip ruining at all, I promise!
aladdin-disney-funny-gif-Favim.com-1036279.gif

Lol...I never thought that at all, but if you are looking for CM experiences, nobody can ever beat that one. I wonder what ever happened to her little prince and princess?

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Lol...I never thought that at all, but if you are looking for CM experiences, nobody can ever beat that one. I wonder what ever happened to her little prince and princess?
Hahahaha! :hilarious: Now I want to go back and read it. Wonder if she will make another appearance again...or just ever reply back to her own thread, lol.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but sometimes when a CM does the opening announcements before a show, they sound like the person talking through a speaker at a fastfood drive thru.

CM: "Pleasenowaphdefrackteryandnomeeetingdrinkingorlyandnosmoking."

CM: "Enjoy."

Me: "Um...Can you repeat that back to me please?"

raven

Perfection is perception.
The expectation level of Disney guests is extremely high as well. If everything not not absolutely perfect in their eyes, they complain. Then again, Disney kind of gives this perception in their commercials and advertising so people expect their vacations to be similar those commercials (private meet with a princess on the lawn in front of the castle, special treatment above others, no lines or crowds, happy smiling people everywhere, etc.) It's just advertising but I guess people buy into the belief their Disney vacation will be that way.

Chef Mickey

The expectation level of Disney guests is extremely high as well. If everything not not absolutely perfect in their eyes, they complain. Then again, Disney kind of gives this perception in their commercials and advertising so people expect their vacations to be similar those commercials (private meet with a princess on the lawn in front of the castle, special treatment above others, no lines or crowds, happy smiling people everywhere, etc.) It's just advertising but I guess people buy into the belief their Disney vacation will be that way.
Yes, but practically all commercials portray an aspirational message in their commercial. "This is going to be great, perfect, raise your social status." The bike riding, smiling, sunny days, etc. are all marketing to give you an image of perfection. This is particularly common in vacation and destination commercials. Everyone is always happy, having a great time. When they show the beach, it's always sunny (not reality that it rains in these tropical places). Disney is the same. The families are always having fun, no crowds, no rain, no pushing, no crying, no strollers.

It's just marketing....we still live in the real world.

My point here is Disney is not alone in this message and the concept of perfection is really up to the individual. Even with all the "problems" at Disney, I view my trips there as perfect.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Food in food commercials are fake and covered in formaldehyde which gross me out every time, just so that the product looks absolutely perfect. And don't get me started on how those people can eat like that and look like that...
Maybe it's the formaldehyde...

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
This didn't leave us with an off-feeling, but more of a "oh my goodness, real people exist here" feeling.

We were eating at the Garden Grill on our honeymoon and a CM was walking around with a character CM. While the character CM was with the group in the booth next to us, probably interacting with the kids, the non-costumed CM was standing there and all of the sudden started to softly talk to us, or really vent to us. She started off with "I hate this song" (She was referring to the song that was playing in the restaurant, can't remember what was playing, but you would be able to sing-a-long with it easily). Apparently it was one they played over and over. My husband and I looked at her and smiled because we both knew what that felt like (we both used to work in retail and had to listen to the music they played in those stores over and over and over...you get the idea.) I believe she was having an off-day.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but sometimes when a CM does the opening announcements before a show, they sound like the person talking through a speaker at a fastfood drive thru.

Yes... With the mike pressed to the lips as they speak, every word gets garbled together and is totally unrecognizable. They think if they have the mike closer to the lips they will be able to be heard better. Dis needs to have more classes on how to present the show.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Another CM having an Off-Day I witnessed was when we were stuck in a store in Frontierland during a day parade. The CM working at the cash register stood there and quoted the parade lines right along with the parade. You could tell he had heard the lines one too many times, lol. Not sure if he was happy about it, more like frustrated.

Smiley/OCD

Maybe they once worked for the NYC subway system making those announcements...you WOULD think that with all the training CM's go thru, there would be some training on how to speak with a mike...(I worked in radio, it's instilled in my DNA). I think like everyone has said, it's a combo of old equipment, poor training, having a bad day, and probably mad because they didn't want to work that attraction, so they're just going thru the motions.

raven

Isn't that like like EVERY Cast Member doing the spiel on one of the parking lot trams? That speaker is directly above your head and it's turned up to 90 decibels and they still scream into the microphone.

Driver

Isn't that like like EVERY Cast Member doing the spiel on one of the parking lot trams? That speaker is directly above your head and it's turned up to 90 decibels and they still scream into the microphone.
Nothing says you can't say something about it. If you don't it will just continue, if you're not comfortable talking to the CM go to the GS window. I guarantee if you say something, someone will look into it. They check with CM's constantly about concerns . Some of the things seem trivial but if a guest complains they check it out.

raven

Nothing says you can't say something about it. If you don't it will just continue, if you're not comfortable talking to the CM go to the GS window. I guarantee if you say something, someone will look into it. They check with CM's constantly about concerns . Some of the things seem trivial but if a guest complains they check it out.
Been doing that for over 10 years now and nothing has changed. I know many others have complained as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom