CM Opinions

barnum42

Originally posted by blackride
I usually side with corporations when dealing with people/B]

My experience of corporations is that to the greedy upper management, people are not worth crap. The staff are to be considered disposable commodities. To treat an individual with the same contempt as a paper napkin is not something to be supported. In my last company they even claimed to be a family run organisation with Christian values. I don’t know what version of the bible they have on their shelf in Kansas but it sure as hell isn’t the same one I studied at school.

Dayma

The staff are to be considered disposable commodities.

I hate to say this but most are! :fork: I would say at my company about 10% of our department "carries" the other 80% and its sad.

I am the type of person that makes it know that I am important to the company. I never blame management for layoffs due to the fact that this is not a family and it is business.

Not that this has to do with Disney at all. I was just curious about mKT's experience that he is eluding to.

cherrynegra

Maybe I missed this in a past post or something but could you elaborate on this or send me a PM. I am just curious.

I usually side with corporations when dealing with people so I am just interested in your view of what happend.

Thank you.

I'm sorry. What??? You usually side with corporations? :eek:

Hmm....guess people that work for corporations are nothing more than expendable cogs in the wheel. Easily replaced at much cheaper prices in foreign countries.

kal1484

I'm going with the location/co-workers thing. I LOVE my role, but some people dont, and some do. It's all your thinking and mindset, as well as your relations with your co-workers.

As for the company, there could be some changes made, I won't disagree, but I still love my job. :)

Dayma

Hmm....guess people that work for corporations are nothing more than expendable cogs in the wheel. Easily replaced at much cheaper prices in foreign countries.

Look I know people have certain polictical belifs in society and I am not here to argue that. I was just asking mKT what happend to him nothing more.

So please dont jump on me due to my belifs as I have not done so to others......

barnum42

So please dont jump on me due to my belifs as I have not done so to others......
Your belief states that you feel corporations are right in their belief that people are a disposable commodity. This goes against all decent moral thinking. People will jump down your throat for that. The family run Christian company I worked at must have replaced a couple of the ten commandments. They must have thrown out the “do unto others” and “love they neighbour” ones with “treat thy neighbour like dirt if it gets you a bigger percentage”.

There is NOTHING to applaud in corporate greed..

sissa216

At WDW, location definitely is part of it, but it's also what your expectations are and your own attitude. Maybe its because I was only a CP and only had 5 months there, but I absolutely loved every minute of it. And at each location, you're gonna have some who love and some who hate their jobs.
At the beginning of our college program, they told us that our program would be what we'd make of it, and that couldn't be more true. Those that went in everyday expecting to have a horrible time, putting in for an ER, and counting down the minutes til they could go home obviously didn't have a great time. But some of us tried to make the most of every second, and have a great time. Yes, there were rude guest, irritable cast members, bad days, rude guests, idiot managers, did i say rude guests? :p Every job in the world sucks if you don't make it fit you.
For the most part, it seemed to me that the CPs were more appreciative of their jobs and happy to be there- because they didn't take it for granted. For some people down there who work for Disney full time and don't know any different, they don't consider themselves lucky; its just their job. Grass is always greener, I guess.
You could argue about this til the cows come home. There are pros and cons to working anywhere, and some of those can't be changed given the nature of the business. For example, many of the CPs (including myself) were extremely unhappy with the way the holidays went...we all had to leave on a Saturday (be completely out of the apartments), and were scheduled 12 or 13 days straight, working 60 hour weeks through the holidays. That may seem unfair, but its the only way to run a business such as WDW.
I don't claim to have the total perspective of working there, as I only caught a glimpse of it (though I wish it were much longer), but it seems to me it was a great place to work, and those that gripe over the little things don't realize how much worse it could be. You always want something more, especially from such a large and successful company, but sometimes you gotta take a step back and look at the larger picture.

Pixie Duster

I don't work for the company I work for the guests. And the company still has a lot of positive aspects to it. Each path a CM takes is different and they deal with a different group of people so sometimes your experience as a CM can be fantastic and sometimes it can be bad. For me it good so I make the mental decision to make it great. So it's really different with each person.

Just don't ever be an entertainment CM, whole 'nother world, right mkt?

Dayma

This goes against all decent moral thinking.

Moral thinking? Who makes the rules of what is moral or not? You? The beauty of America is to have diverse opinions which should be respected.

Your belief states that you feel corporations are right in their belief that people are a disposable commodity.

I am not talking about life and death here.......I am talking about managing a company of this size and what it takes. This should also not get personal so I am not talking about this here anymore. This was also not directed at you originally barnum42 it was a question to another poster.

It is sad when I can't post my questions without getting attacked and made out to be a villian...ohh well moving on now.

barnum42

Moral thinking? Who makes the rules of what is moral or not? You? The beauty of America is to have diverse opinions which should be respected.
I don’t claim to be Jiminy Cricket, but feel have a good grasp of morals. This one is pretty basic – be decent to other people.

Here is a comparison for you – travel back to the 1860s. Abraham Lincoln has questioned the validity of “All men are created equal” when a large chunk of the American nation were nothing more than a disposable commodity to be bought, sold and discarded for personal gain to make money. Now lets zip back to today where there are people who support the thinking that humans are nothing more than a disposable commodity to be bought, sold and discarded for personal gain to make money. Hardly progress is it? The only difference being all races get dumped on by the few in power.

You have also mentioned that you should not be jumped on for expressing an opinion. My opinion is that you are wrong in your support of the corporate mistreatment of individuals, so I have expressed it.

Also, you ARE taking about life and death here – a person’s job is their means to supporting their life and that of their family. Take that away from them for no good reason other than to line your own pocket and you are taking away their life.

Dayma

Here is a comparison for you – travel back to the 1860s. Abraham Lincoln has questioned the validity of “All men are created equal” when a large chunk of the American nation were nothing more than a disposable commodity to be bought, sold and discarded for personal gain to make money. Now lets zip back to today where there are people who support the thinking that humans are nothing more than a disposable commodity to be bought, sold and discarded for personal gain to make money. Hardly progress is it? The only difference being all races get dumped on by the few in power.

So you are saying all americans are slaves to large corporations? This is wayyy left.

Anyways....lets stop talking about this. I am here to talk Disney :)

barnum42

So you are saying all americans are slaves to large corporations? This is wayyy left.
Nope - Many people, not just in America are seen by the corporate fat cats as little more than slaves and this is a status I can not support. Neither am I "Left", there you hit the extreme opposite which can be just as bad. I'm just a bloke who hates seeing injustice, especially for the sake of personal greed.

Anyways....lets stop talking about this. I am here to talk Disney :) [/B]
Always happy to talk Disney. :wave:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by Pixie Duster
Just don't ever be an entertainment CM, whole 'nother world, right mkt?

correct... I still haven't readjusted to the outside world

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
eh... it's not the Real World i'm having trouble adjusting to... it's Road Rules. God I hate that show...

:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom