Club 33 like place @ Disney World

TomHendricks

Original Poster
I for a long time have been intrigued by Club 33 in Disneyland. I have visited DL only once, two years ago and I had to find the door. Which I did, but wished I could have gone inside.

I kind of wish there was something similar at WDW, that it had its own version of Club 33. I have been to Victoria & Alberts several times, but its not the same as being in the park.

Was there ever an idea to put something similar in at WDW? Could they still do it? Would you like to see something like this?

Pioneer Hall

An Idea...possibly. Could they...definitely. Will they...not likely.

With the ultra exclusive atmosphere of Club 33, I don't think that Disney would ever replicate it. It is one of those things that is unique to the Disneyland Resort. I would be happy to settle for AP/DVC lounges where I could get a drink and relax in AC for a while at this point.

fosse76

An Idea...possibly. Could they...definitely. Will they...not likely.

With the ultra exclusive atmosphere of Club 33, I don't think that Disney would ever replicate it. It is one of those things that is unique to the Disneyland Resort. I would be happy to settle for AP/DVC lounges where I could get a drink and relax in AC for a while at this point.

My understanding is that it was built for Walt to network with important people for business purposes and corporate sponsors and to give them a private place to dine away from parkgoers. My very limited knowledge of Walt leads me to conclude that Walt was very savvy and charismatic, to where people felt special to give him money...the VIP lounge was simply an "unecessary" perk. When he died, I doubt their was anyone who can come close to doing what Walt did, and the lounge itself would be an, "eh, what else do I get for my investment."

WDW doesn't need a lounge like Club 33. The only purpose it would have is to create a elitist restaurant for the rich. Club 33 evovled that way, this would be started for that purpose alone. Are there any locals that could even sustain it? Other than the "prestige" factor of being a member (only Disney fans would even care), this kind of club serves no useful purpose at WDW.

Pioneer Hall

My understanding is that it was built for Walt to network with important people for business purposes and corporate sponsors and to give them a private place to dine away from parkgoers. My very limited knowledge of Walt leads me to conclude that Walt was very savvy and charismatic, to where people felt special to give him money...the VIP lounge was simply an "unecessary" perk. When he died, I doubt their was anyone who can come close to doing what Walt did, and the lounge itself would be an, "eh, what else do I get for my investment."

WDW doesn't need a lounge like Club 33. The only purpose it would have is to create a elitist restaurant for the rich. Club 33 evovled that way, this would be started for that purpose alone. Are there any locals that could even sustain it? Other than the "prestige" factor of being a member (only Disney fans would even care), this kind of club serves no useful purpose at WDW.

The original purpose was supposed to be Walt's dining room. Somewhere that he could entertain the above mentioned people while they were visiting Disneyland. In the same regard the Disney Gallery (now Dream Suite) was supposed to be Walt's new apartment due to the increasing size of his family with grandchildren. However, Walt died prior to the construction being complete so we have the Club as it is today.

dreamfinder

There is a similar club in Tokyo Disneyland. However, I don't realistically see one working in WDW. Look at DL and TDL, both are very near to cities were status is extremely important. Being able to take guests to an ultra exclusive club is a big bragging right. WDW, not so much. Yes, it is near Orlando, but the amount of people living in Orlando who could drop the thousands a year on membership are nothing compared to the other two locales. So they could, but I don't think that the same high rollers would be there consistently. All comes back to that local vs tourist mentality.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
WDW already has many hidden places for holding private diners and such. I have rented private areas and not so private areas to hold parties at all around WDW. This year I have rented a private patio at the DHS Fantasmic! show and hosting dinner and drinks for my flamily and friends. This will be during the first week of November. Any one else going to be at WDW at that time.

tampabrad

Renting out a space in WDW is not even close to what Club 33 is. Anyone can host a private party if you are willing to pay. Not everyone, no matter how much money you have can get into 33.

Personally, I think dinner at V&A is much better than 33. But, it is just so cool going into 33.

WDWFigment

There is a similar club in Tokyo Disneyland. However, I don't realistically see one working in WDW. Look at DL and TDL, both are very near to cities were status is extremely important. Being able to take guests to an ultra exclusive club is a big bragging right. WDW, not so much. Yes, it is near Orlando, but the amount of people living in Orlando who could drop the thousands a year on membership are nothing compared to the other two locales. So they could, but I don't think that the same high rollers would be there consistently. All comes back to that local vs tourist mentality.

I think it would easily work. Not only would you have the Orlando crowd from which to draw, but you have the affluent Disney regulars.

There are clubs like this all over the country. Indianapolis has one, the Columbia Club, right on the city's Circle. Most of the members are older doctors, lawyers, and other business-people. If it can work here, I don't see why it can't work in any other metropolis.

Monorail Lime

There are clubs like this all over the country. Indianapolis has one, the Columbia Club, right on the city's Circle. Most of the members are older doctors, lawyers, and other business-people. If it can work here, I don't see why it can't work in any other metropolis.
I don't think it's correct to consider all metropolitan areas culturally equal. Orlando got a late start compared to most other metropolitan areas of its size since the Sun Belt boom didn't take off until the last quarter of the century. Orlando doesn't have the same culture of "old money" affluent families like in LA, Tokyo, or even Indianapolis because of this. Consider that the Columbia Club, established in 1889, was three quarters of a century old when Orlando was still practically an outpost in the middle of a swamp!

Sure there are exclusive members-only clubs in Orlando proper, but they primarily cater to younger urban professionals who, like many Orlandoans, consider WDW a tourist trap for outsiders and not a part of their culture.

C&D

Somehow I think, because of the reasons earlier mentioned, this works for Disneyland; I believe anywhere else it might be construed to be 'just another elitist' endeavor that one wouldn't even be able to aspire. It's one thing to have some places (in the World) that just cost so much that they are virtually unobtainable, but to be totally excluded, seems to endorse a snobbery.

MarkTwain

^ I would agree with that.

Adding to that, I think part of the reason Club 33 works so well at Disneyland is because of its history and legacy. Club 33 was commissioned by Walt Disney himself to be the place where he could take big names in business and convince them to become corporate sponsors. Even though it was never used as such before he died, it has been used in part for that exact purpose since. The place has a huge legacy and long history behind it which wouldn't be present if WDW opened a Club 33 (or similar offering) in 2010.

I think another factor which might contribute to Club 33's success in Disneyland is that the park is much small-scale and congested than the wide-open Magic Kingdom, as well as its lack of table service restaurants (only one, in the Blue Bayou) or a place to get alcohol (nowhere in the park). Club 33 provides a solution for all three of those issues, so those wanting some booze, a nice meal, or a quiet break in the park could find value there.

WDW, on the other hand, has a huge number of lounges already for wooing corporate figureheads (many of them in Epcot) and no small shortage of exclusive offerings for higher-end guests (the variety of specialty tours, the Living Seas dive, and the upcoming AK Savannah trek, to name a few).

That's not to say that a WDW Club 33 wouldn't do well... just that there may not be the demand for it here as there is in Disneyland.

fosse76

Sure there are exclusive members-only clubs in Orlando proper, but they primarily cater to younger urban professionals who, like many Orlandoans, consider WDW a tourist trap for outsiders and not a part of their culture.

Not only that, but of course Club 33 would have appealed to the elite, even those who consider theme parks to be "common." Club 33, as stated above, was designed to be Walt's dining room. Imagine the prestige these people had and have by being members. It just wouldn't have that aura at WDW. It would definitely be nothing more than a money grab there.

Sloan

Yes, I'll be there ...

This year I have rented a private patio at the DHS Fantasmic! show and hosting dinner and drinks for my flamily and friends. This will be during the first week of November. Any one else going to be at WDW at that time.

I'll be there from November 3rd through the 7th for the Food & Wine Festival - attending Citrico's Signature Dinner on the 3rd, and Party for the Senses on the 6th.

The California Grill is "it" to me. Its not too uptight, offers a great bar and more importantly food and atmosphere with one helluva view.

Last time I was there I sat at the Sushi bar with Disney Legend Marty Sklar - basically the Jiminey Cricket of the organization...great conversation.

Now, if its a classy drink and tranquil view you want, Mizner's Lounge at the Grand Floridian is great in the later hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom