Closest Beach to Disney World

tpah92

Hello, I was wondering is anyone could tell me the closest beach to Disney World? My girls really want to see the ocean while we are there in June and I really don't want to drive for hours to see the ocean, so I was hoping someone could give me some insight on the closest one. Thanks in advance for your help!

Tracy

doop

My grandmother used to go to Cocoa Beach every year for a month, and we would be down at Disney at the same time. It was pretty much just east of Orlando, and I remember it only being about an hour's drive. The beaches were nice as well.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure Cocoa Beach, like the previous poster said it's about one hour east of Orlando. Also, maybe you'd like to try Daytona Beach, it's about 2 hours or a little less. Those 2 beaches are on the east coast (Atlantic Ocean). On the west, you can try Clearwater Beach (notice the name - the water is actually pretty clear!) which is on the Gulf of Mexico side of Florida and it takes about 1 1/2-2 hours to get there, depending on traffic.

Out of the 3 beaches I mentioned, I would go to either Clearwater or Daytona. I was watching something on the travel channel and Clearwater is Florida's 5th best beach. Daytona may have been #3, but I don't remember.

Upvote 0

tpah92

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thank you so much for your quick answers to my question. Last year was our first trip to Disney and I wanted to take them to the ocean but we ran out of time, so this year I added an extra day so we could go. Although my husband is not too thrilled about renting a car and driving. He would just as soon stay in Disney the entire time.

How is the traffic to the Clearwater beach?

Thanks again!

Tracy

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
BlizBeach1.jpg

:lookaroun :p

Upvote 0

MissM

The main road in and out of Clearwater Beach is under construction right now. It's a parking lot getting around down there. I'm not a fan of Clearwater specifically myself. I prefer the beaches a little more south like Reddington, Indian Rocks, Maderia, Treasure Island, etc. (We have 22 miles of unbroken white sand beaches here and every couple miles the name of the beach changes. While Clearwater is the most famous, I find it the most tourist/trashy of the beachfronts in the area.)

For the Au Natural experience without condos, bars and related, check out Honeymoon Island which is just north things like Clearwater Beach.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/honeymoonisland/default.cfm

You can optionally chose to take a ferry out to Caladesi Island once you get into Honeymoon Island if you want, but Honeymoon Island is accessible by car. It's unspoiled, natural and has walking trails through the woods as well. Very pretty.

I'm not a fan of Daytona just because they let cars drive on the beach and to me, that's just wrong. Cocoa is nice though. Quieter. They also have the famous Ron Jon's there. :lol: It's your most direct route from WDW. Just hop on the toll road and it's a straight shot to the coast.

Orlando is basically in the middle of the state so it's either head an hour to Cocoa on the East (Atlantic) side or head to the beaches in Pinellas County (West/Gulf side.) Traffic will change how long it takes as you need to get through the main urban areas of Pinellas to get to the coast. Gulf side is calmer and warmer. Atlantic side is a little choppier and cooler.

Here's a couple links:

(St. Pete/Clearwater side)
(Cocoa Side)
There's also other stuff to do on both coasts if you have enough time (Kennedy Space Center is very close to Cocoa Beach and many things are on the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater side including Busch Gardens, museums, etc.)

Have fun!
-m

Upvote 0

Frazier

Have been to all three, if you don't mind the gulf then Clearwater is very nice and the water is very warm. You should do mapquest though, just a few turns but worth it. To the north side can be very quiet, to the south side a lot to do, including a pirate ship for the kids. To avoid the traffic at the I-4 junction you shouldn't go near rush hour. Begin your trip back by 3-3:30 or wait until after rush. I believe both the east and west coast are about 1 1/2 hours. Have fun.

Upvote 0

jmani56

I don't think Clearwater is any worse than Daytona or Cocoa. It's a touristy beach, so you know what to expect. Anything on the Gulf side is nicer though, and probably worth the drive. The sand is white (as opposed to brown), the water is much calmer, much clearer and MUCH warmer. Seems to be less partiers on the Gulf side also.

Upvote 0

Mr_Tom_Morrow

While Clearwater is the most famous, I find it the most tourist/trashy of the beachfronts in the area.)

I couldn't agree with you more,that beach always is and always will be an eyesore to me,makes you wonder how it gets ranked as a top beach in the state.What little they had going for them they demolished,I used to be a big fan of Shepards on the beach,that place has taken a nosedive as well now

Upvote 0

AliceinWhoville

We are staying in Daytona for the first few days of our vaca then moving to Disney for the rest of the week. From what i remember it was 1.5hrs.

We loved Daytona beach there was nothing not to like there. We didnt have beachfront room but the sounds of the wave were amazing. Our hotel was about mile north of pier so that was nice to avoid the cars on the beach and the drunk who drove them.

If you want the more laid back beach then go to Indian Rocks beach (south of Clearwater) It was more calming there.

Take them to Daytona much more to do. We are from Ohio so we see the ocean oh every 10yrs. I want to play in the waves and have fun with the waves crashing over me. I am sure your kids do too.

Upvote 0

maelstrom

Definitely go to a gulf coast beach. I went to Sarasota last week (had never been to a gulf coast beach before) and it was just beautiful. White sand and clearish aquamarine water.

Upvote 0

palmage

I prefer the beaches a little more south like Reddington, Indian Rocks, Maderia, Treasure Island, etc. (We have 22 miles of unbroken white sand beaches here and every couple miles the name of the beach changes. While Clearwater is the most famous, I find it the most tourist/trashy of the beachfronts in the area.)

You can optionally chose to take a ferry out to Caladesi Island once you get into Honeymoon Island if you want, but Honeymoon Island is accessible by car. It's unspoiled, natural and has walking trails through the woods as well. Very pretty.

Lets hear it for the Redingtons!!!:sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom