Close to doing DVC, how's it been?

Rototom

Original Poster
I'm inching closer to join in. Staying at Boardwlak Vliias in Oct (have tried OKY and loved it.) for one more sample/

Does anyone regret buying in?

What are the biggest drawbacks, if any?

disneyfan56

Draw backs? The only thing I can think of, and it doesn't matter to me, is DVC are not able to get the free dining offers that are given certain times of the year.

We've been members since 2003 and have loved every minute of it. We are able to go down atleast once a year, sometimes more often. It's the best investment we have ever made.

carolina_yankee

There really isn't a disadvantage if you like the accommodations and can afford the amount of points you need for the times you want to visit.

There are some grumblings about having plan and book further out than you might for a cash stay in the non-DVC resorts. That hasn't been a problem for us, but we don't go at peak season, and I'm an uber planner anyway. However, definitely buy where you want to stay if you need the 11 month advantage.

Only somewhat tongue-in-cheek - another "disadvantage" for us is that we've made more trips to Disney than we would have otherwise - from once a year, to 2-3 times a year. With airfare, food, and cash nights to lengthen the trips, I don't think we've saved any money - just been able to have more of a Disney lifestyle.

Dirk

Draw backs? The only thing I can think of, and it doesn't matter to me, is DVC are not able to get the free dining offers that are given certain times of the year.

We've been members since 2003 and have loved every minute of it. We are able to go down atleast once a year, sometimes more often. It's the best investment we have ever made.

I agree with you about the free dining, but can't think of any other drawback either.

We joined in December of 1999 and visit once per year for about 10 days. It's been a great investment in family memories.

scorp111

It's been great for us so far, but we haven't used our membership yet:lookaroun

We bought in during our last visit in April and have trips in Sept 07, April 08, and June 08.

We had stayed previously at OKW, and enjoyed that.

Rototom

Original Poster
This is only making it more tempting. I dont do the dining plan, like to plan far in advance (stretches out the excitment) and would love to KNOW I'm going every year.

Thanks for the input.

I have a feeling I'll be in by end of year. ( I have two trips planned already, no need to rush)

This is only making it more tempting. I dont do the dining plan, like to plan far in advance (stretches out the excitment) and would love to KNOW I'm going every year.

Thanks for the input.

I have a feeling I'll be in by end of year. ( I have two trips planned already, no need to rush)

Let your DVC rep know that you'll be there. See what kind of incentives they'll offer to get you to commit. Bargain, baby, bargain!

carolina_yankee

They won't offer any incentives or deals that aren't available to everyone already. However, there's always a special - double developer points, a reduced price per point if you forgo developer points, and such. One of the current deals is rumored to expire on August 31st. At any rate, apart from current specials, they won't bargain. (Heck, they're already ahead of schedule on selling AKV.)

The problem with having a presentation when you get there is that it starts the clock rolling on whatever offer they give you - I can't remember if it's 3 or 5 days you have to commit, or else the offer is rescinded and you're stuck with rack rate for the points. You should always stay in contact with your guide to see what's being offered, but be careful of an actual presentation unless you're ready to commit.

Dirk

They won't offer any incentives or deals that aren't available to everyone already. However, there's always a special - double developer points, a reduced price per point if you forgo developer points, and such. One of the current deals is rumored to expire on August 31st. At any rate, apart from current specials, they won't bargain. (Heck, they're already ahead of schedule on selling AKV.)

The problem with having a presentation when you get there is that it starts the clock rolling on whatever offer they give you - I can't remember if it's 3 or 5 days you have to commit, or else the offer is rescinded and you're stuck with rack rate for the points. You should always stay in contact with your guide to see what's being offered, but be careful of an actual presentation unless you're ready to commit.

Dirk
Okey doke. I just wanted to make sure that RotoTom knows that he should get some kind of bonus for committing to sale.

When we joined in 1999, we took months to make up our mind, but still got the bonus points at closing. Of course, things change as the product becomes more popular. AKL must be a seller's market!

carolina_yankee

From what I"ve heard, some of those earlier incentives were legendary. Congrats on almost 10 years of membership! I'm just rounding the corner on 2 . . .

Phase 1 of AKL is rumored to be nearly sold out. Apparently, given the need for construction to be near completion before points can be sold, they may have a very tight inventory until Kidani Village gets closer to ready. SSR points are still available, of course, and rumors of a California announcement in October persist.

Dirk

scorp111

Dirk

It is 3 days from the end of your current vacation. (or at least that is what we were told in April). We did the tour on like Day 2 or 3 of a 9 day trip,and we had until 3 days after the trip. We went back the day before we left to sign the paperwork :)

I wouldn't wait to sign up if you have two trips coming up. We bought after our last trip and got the bonus, but I would have saved more money by using the money I put toward my hotel and tickets to the DVC and annual passes at a discount. I had to caught up a large down payment after I just spent a lot on a vacation. I wish I knew then what I know, but you live and learn.

One downside by now and not after your trip, it may be difficult to get your same reservations on short notice.

We joined in July and love it! We are going to DL in November and have enough points left for a week at WDW this spring. We are also going again next October.

jim1051

One minor drawback is the 7 month window at Non-home resort. You can't always get the accomadation you really have as first choice. But again this is a small problem. We own at HH and only once did we not get first choice, after wait listing. But we had to "settle" for OKW which was second choice anyway.

Members since 1999, we have used it away from Disney as well, in Charleston, SC, Maui HI, and Holland America Alaskan cruise, all premier vacations. We love it and I enjoy the planning piece. I am already working on Nov. 2008 plans.

disbest

We bought at SSR several years ago. I have the same issues as many others with the 7 month window. We like to stay at the BCV and BW. Each time we attempted to stay there we were placed on a waiting list. The BCV and BW are our favorite DVCs since it is walking distance to two resorts and they feel more like a Disney Resort compared to SSR. There is no guarantee that you will be able to book at a desired resort within the 7 month window.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom