Cliff Richard

Smiley/OCD

Good artist, I played several of his songs on the air in my radio days…
“We Don’t Talk Anymore”
“I’m Dreamin’”
“Devil Woman”
“Suddenly” with Olivia Newton John
One of the stations I worked for had a HUGE music library and I played his songs every few shifts

Sir_Cliff

Original Poster
Good artist, I played several of his songs on the air in my radio days…
“We Don’t Talk Anymore”
“I’m Dreamin’”
“Devil Woman”
“Suddenly” with Olivia Newton John
One of the stations I worked for had a HUGE music library and I played his songs every few shifts
Must say that I'm always a bit fascinated how or if Americans remember him!

I think that was generally the best part of his career, but he started off as the British Elvis in 1958 and has quite a few classic songs from the 1960s that would be pretty much unknown in the US before his mid-1970s, early-1980s revival that began with Devil Woman. I don't think EMI America was a big supporter, as I remember him saying he had to go to other labels in the late-1980s/early-1990s when songs that were hits in other countries started to get some traction in local markets in the US.

While he's had 14 #1 hits in the UK, I believe he's only had 3 top ten hits in the USA (Devil Woman, We Don't Talk Anymore, & Dreamin').

Sir_Cliff

Original Poster
This duet did also remind me of the rare Cliff-Freddy Mercury debt from 1988 that came out of the Dave Clarke musical project Time:

Smiley/OCD

Listening to my local AC (Adult contemporary) station this morning…every Saturday morning they play a classic Casey Kasem countdown from the 80’s…this week in 1981-#20 “A Little in Love”…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom