City Commissioner Calls for Busing Riverbed Homeless Into Anaheim Resort

D

Deleted member 107043

The sad truth is there will never be a day where homelessness will go away, but while we can never rid the world of it , we can help those in need. Everyone can play a part in helping and I think a big piece is really developing relationships with people...let me explain.

Here in my city, there is a park in the historic downtown area where the homeless typically stay during the day. The businesses call the cops if they even wander near a store to try and "force" them away from the area never taking into account that these are people just like you and me. Now there is a difference between someone minding their own business and then those who are always drunk or doing drugs and causing problems. Some people just can't be helped no matter what you do, they don't want it.

I partner with my church and we weekly go out and pass out water but also sit and develop actual relationships. We talk to them, get to know them, and meet them in their need. If they are hungry I don't give them a $20 but go and buy them food and I will often eat with them and just talk with them. No agenda, just love. Remind them that they are people and that if they remain confident then things will get better. We've even partnered with Starbucks and once a month we actually go out and give coffee in the morning time. Even this week we've rallied with so many people in the city to donate blankets and jackets for winter.

I don't say all this to brag but that showing real love and genuine care for someone makes a difference in their life and yours. It encourages them to not give up and keep trying. To fight another day. That they are valued and worth something even though life got tough. Sometimes we can't wait for someone else to act, you have to be the change you want to see in the world. Sometimes it's messy and sometimes it's inconvient but in the end it's worth it.

Not sure if I actually contributed to this discussion but to the main point, not sure what moving them will do in the long run.

This is beautiful Figment. I'm sitting here now realizing I need to do more for the homeless in my community.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Any discussion of homelessness that doesn't delve into the complex issues related to this subject is irresponsible. There are many cities and organizations addressing these issues in very effective ways. Dehumanizing homeless people accomplishes nothing.

Moreover, making light of this situation or taking cheap shots on a Disney fan board is ridiculous. There are a lot of Disney CMs who are struggling to achieve stable housing. And many on public assistance. Not everyone who wants to address this issue is simply a loony lefty bleeding heart who wants to "coddle or indulge lazy people who won't pull themselves up by their own bootstraps" as the cliche goes.

Homelessness is a symptom of societal problems, including economic difficulty, mental health, and short-term problems that become exacerbated into long-term ones. Leaving it to fester is bad for the community. Ignorance is not bliss.

I've lived in several major cities. I certainly don't like being confronted with the many antisocial behaviors than can occur with a large homeless population. But I also know the solutions are difficult and require real work by serious people. It needs humility, kindness, and strength of character.

I encourage everyone I know to listen to people who are dealing effectively with this problem. Learn about the complexities. Decide for yourself what you think is effecting positive change. But please, don't just dismiss the problem out of hand. It is a public health crisis that is only growing worse. And don't dehumanize these people. Whether they have made bad choices or are there through no fault of their own, they are still people. It's possible to have "tough love" without dehumanizing yourself.

Very well said!!! I have done many things in my life. I am proud of my accomplishments for the most part. I have raised several children who I am very proud of. One is about to become a father for the first time in the next few hours. I am a military veteran and a retired police officer. I also was homeless at one point in my life. I was not a degenerate, a drug addict or a thief. It was just the set of circumstances life dealt me at that time. I overcame it as quickly as I could and went on with life. I dealt with a lot of homeless when I was a cop. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you post about things you know nothing about. Trust me, reading a news story or watching something on television does not make you an informed person. If you want to learn about something that is a problem, go out and find a way to fix the problem. I volunteer at our local soup kitchen lest I ever forget. And yes my kids did also as they were growing up. I am proud to say 2 of 3 and their kids still do today. Please think before you post. Getting of my soap box now.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom