Cirque du Soleil purchases the Blue Man Group and their future

Gringrinngghost

Original Poster
So it's been reported today that the Blue Man Group has been bought by Cirque Du Soleil today. What does that mean for Universal and Disney?

At Universal Orlando:
  • the Blue Man Group is staying at Universal Orlando.
  • It's currently unknown if Cirque will do any changes at this juncture to the Blue Man group residency.

At Walt Disney World:
  • As of late March, Cirque was in negotiations with Walt Disney World and are going to have a new show.
  • Cirque want's to create a tribute in the show to Disney's Animation.
  • The tribute could be in a juncture could be done as a full show that is an entire tribute to animation such as their tribute show to the Argentinian Rock Band Soda Stereo in Argentia.
  • However, this tribute is ONLY in the preliminary stage.
  • During the time between the new shows, there should be a temporary show being conducted in the surface level parking at Disney Springs.

More information here: http://www.behindthethrills.com/201...-du-soleil-and-the-blue-man-group-in-orlando/

KBLovedDisney

Blue Man Group & Cirque du Soleil
tumblr_mfrlfmNMzU1rkzusmo2_r1_250.gif

At least I hope so. I like both the Blue Man Group and Cirque du Soleil.

Gringrinngghost

Original Poster
Another wasteful purchase/partnership from Cirque :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm ready for some additional information on what the next Cirque du Soleil experience will be at Disney Springs, especially what show they will have allegedly run under the Grand Chapiteau until the new resident show opens. I hope the entire show isn't built around Disney animation, how bland and predictable would that be? I would 100% be on board with perhaps a sand art act (which has been featured in some past shows) that features Disney characters....otherwise keep that mess out of Cirque.

I've heard that the temp show should be themed along the lines of "turn of the 20th century"

Gringrinngghost

Original Poster
Sound similar to the theme of Kurios, which is off the table since its heading to Japan next year. They have a nice selection of retired shows they can revive for a limited run. It seems to me, at least, to be the most cost friendly option. Everything is archived and ready to go! Of course, that's just the superfan in my dreaming
Anything is possible. Let alone the fact that those in La Nouba have to audition for the new show.

Gringrinngghost

Original Poster
Well sure, why wouldn't they? Cirque will do their best to recast the artist to other productions, but its hard to accommodate everyone. They do it all the time.
I was throwing that into even if there is a temp show - auditions would need to take place which I haven't heard of any...yet. But then after the temp show is done, there should also be again more construction in the Disney Springs West Side.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Blue Man Group is an interesting purchase indeed! And I can see the connection TBH. The "running crew" in Cirque du Soleil had a LOT of Blue Man Group characteristics about them!

DisneyparkFreak

Im not quite sure how I feel about them integrating disney animation into the show. I thought it was a unique experience to go to Cirque and escape the Disney branding and merchandise machine for a couple of hours. Honestly, I think they are watering down their show by adding Disney into it. Unless Disney made them do it to keep the spot at the Springs.

Goofyernmost

Always remember and don't ever forget that without "bottom line" there is no "artistic integrity" in fact there is no artistic at all. Pixie Dust can spread only so far.

Goofyernmost

Well sure, why wouldn't they? Cirque will do their best to recast the artist to other productions, but its hard to accommodate everyone. They do it all the time.
If someone can explain to me how a performer that has worked for Cirque for any extended period of time would have to audition for the same production company, I would be interested in hearing it. In affect haven't they auditioned day after day in the previous show? What would an addition show that they didn't already display?

FigmentJedi

Im not quite sure how I feel about them integrating disney animation into the show. I thought it was a unique experience to go to Cirque and escape the Disney branding and merchandise machine for a couple of hours. Honestly, I think they are watering down their show by adding Disney into it. Unless Disney made them do it to keep the spot at the Springs.
Cirque's already watered down their product with Avatar

Not to mention the shows based around the Beatles and Elvis. They may be French Canadian and pretentious, but they aren't above this sort of thing.

DisneyDebRob

I think it is pretty obvious this is the case. I just wish Cirque had the guts to stand up to Disney and say "no thanks" and pull out for good. Alas, they've become a company focused too much on the bottom line lately and less about artistic integrity.
I hear a lot of people saying this company or that one is to focused on the bottom line. Every day on the boards I see it. Don’t get me wrong, I get the point but please, someone name me a company that’s not about the bottom line? There is a thin line in all companies that must keep the consumer happy and make a lot of money still for their investors. It has to be that way anymore. The companies that were for the customers and kept the costs down unfortunately are mostly out of business.

lazyboy97o

I hear a lot of people saying this company or that one is to focused on the bottom line. Every day on the boards I see it. Don’t get me wrong, I get the point but please, someone name me a company that’s not about the bottom line? There is a thin line in all companies that must keep the consumer happy and make a lot of money still for their investors. It has to be that way anymore. The companies that were for the customers and kept the costs down unfortunately are mostly out of business.
It’s about understanding what made your company successful in the first place. Nobody goes to a show because licensing made the marketing and conceptual development easiering and cheaper.

Goofyernmost

I don't believe the original maker of that comment, tbh. Cirque always recasts their own performers in different shows all the time. Whether it's because the previous show they were in closed or they just want to take advantage of a new opportunity. Very rarely to performers have to audition from scratch. I can only think of one time that's happened and it's documented in the documenteary called Fire Within about the creation of Varkeai. In his instance, one particular individual was let go from he production he was on but was invited to audition again for a new creation
OK, that is exactly how I would think it should work. But, unless I misread it, they said, audition for the new show. There is a huge difference in recasting and auditioning. I can understand them maybe wanting to "get rid" of for whatever reason then auditions are required to fill those spots. It seemed like if that is what they meant, then there was undue anxiety about something that is actually the easy way to get a new job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom