Cinderella Castle Clock

S2iAM

Original Poster
Hello all!

I have been working on a video on Cinderella Castle and wanted to have a short bit on the clock within the video. I am curious if anyone has any cool info or stories on the clock itself? I am especially curious about how it is powered. I have read how they used the Roman Numberal IIII instead of IV. Also that it actually keeps track of the zodiac, another cool fact that Im stuggling to find info on. How does this work exactly? Any info you can offer would help, Thanks in advance!

MAGIC KINGDOM Cinderella Castle Sq Watercolor w stamp.png

Last edited:

kap91

Hello all!

I have been working on a video on Cinderella Castle and wanted to have a short bit on the clock within the video. I am curious if anyone has any cool info or stories on the clock itself? I am especially curious about how it is powered. I have read how they used the Roman Numberal IIII instead of IV. Also that it actually keeps track of the zodiac, another cool fact that Im stuggling to find info on. How does this work exactly? Any info you can offer would help, Thanks in advance!

View attachment 517307
I'm fairly certain that it is based off this clock https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_astronomical_clock

That being said while the version on the castle has the symbols for the zodiac and the planets in a similar arrangement, I don't think it actually functionally depicts the accurate astronomical information, since those dials are physically attached to the hands and cannot move independently. I could always be wrong though, I admit I don't completely understand how the one in Prague works or how it's supposed to be read.

ppete1975

I'm fairly certain that it is based off this clock https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prague_astronomical_clock

That being said while the version on the castle has the symbols for the zodiac and the planets in a similar arrangement, I don't think it actually functionally depicts the accurate astronomical information, since those dials are physically attached to the hands and cannot move independently. I could always be wrong though, I admit I don't completely understand how the one in Prague works or how it's supposed to be read.
Always amazed at the knowledge on this site

S2iAM

Original Poster

Yeah I was looking into that clock to try and understand and its hard to wrap my head around it lol. Supposedly one hand measures the distance of the sun and the other the moon. If you look closely you can see a symbol for each. Which i guess kinda makes sense, in October (Im a libra) the earth is always at the same place on our orbit aka a certain distance from the sun. . . It's fascinating and even more so that there is so little info on it. Like I said I'm also very curious as to how the clock is powered, it could be good old fashioned electricity but it could also be another source, like how that clock in prague is like magnetism or something cool LOL

WDW Cinderella Castle Clock w logo.png

kap91

Attachments

• 18152D69-4FF4-4C3D-ACBC-8B6183C981AC.jpeg
    18152D69-4FF4-4C3D-ACBC-8B6183C981AC.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 375
  • 8B99171B-8A38-4BFB-8F77-7FC02C9CA8DD.jpeg
    8B99171B-8A38-4BFB-8F77-7FC02C9CA8DD.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 381
  • 2E8A4BDB-5DFA-43AE-A5C6-3D43BFE91782.jpeg
    2E8A4BDB-5DFA-43AE-A5C6-3D43BFE91782.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 345
  • 71B7F535-4AC5-4D40-B592-2725E6594DC6.jpeg
    71B7F535-4AC5-4D40-B592-2725E6594DC6.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 334
  • BA1B93F5-7283-4070-96F2-1D44063FE213.jpeg
    BA1B93F5-7283-4070-96F2-1D44063FE213.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 316
  • 151769B6-8C50-4D52-A3EF-25B3F7F3568D.jpeg
    151769B6-8C50-4D52-A3EF-25B3F7F3568D.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 330

S2iAM

Original Poster
Thanks! I do not make clocks lol. I am planning on working in themed entertainment concept design though.

Btw...just to be clear this isn't a real clock, it's a 3d model. I wouldn't even know where to begin to make this irl.
You will shine in that field my friend, excellent work. :)

Raineman

Thanks! I do not make clocks lol. I am planning on working in themed entertainment concept design though.

Btw...just to be clear this isn't a real clock, it's a 3d model. I wouldn't even know where to begin to make this irl.
I think we could have a future Imagineer here. Building models of planned attractions/buildings always seems to be an important part of the Imagineering process, and it looks like that would be right up your alley.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom