Christmas Week 2002

O2Binspired

Call me crazy, :hammer:
but against all advice from regulars and guidebooks I am taking my family to WDW over Christmas, for what looks to be our last official family vacation (oldest kid is now 18!) Plus, it's a surprise to them, to be opened two days before we leave blustery Chicago for Orlando on 12/23. Staying Polynesian concerierge, one of many firsts for us. So far I think I've got things going pretty well. Reserved Cirque on 23rd, Candlelight Processional on 24th...

Questions for those who know: Right now we're eating at O'hana on Xmas for dinner...Comments? (We're not doing Luau so I thought this was a nice, in-resort alternative.)

Any clue as to when we'll be able to find out about guest speaker for Candlelight Processional on 12/24? Just curious.

Third, concerierge assured me cabs are easy to get right away at Poly--true?--cuz we need one right away to get to Cirque after check-in on 23rd (no rental car). I worry we'll get stuck waiting, we have only an hour or so between arriving, getting in room, and getting ride to theater. Plus we'll likely get a taxi to the Hard Rock (leg two of trip!), if you all agree that's the best way for us to get from WDW to Universal?

Are all garden view rooms in concerierge building about the same, as far as "newness" of room, and/or view? Do I need to try to request anything special such as "no parking lot view" or whatever?

Also, weather...any past experience on whether we'll be able to swim happily or not that week? No for sures, of course, but guess for us based on what you've encountered.

Finally, I can't find info on whatever Victoria and Alberts is, even though it was listed in my Itinerary planning packet as an option for character meal. Anyone know?

Thank you! Sorry so long! I'm rather the newbie here it seems!
O2Binspired :rolleyes:

Jedi Osborn

I can point you in the right direction for some of your quesitons.
as to who is speaking, and meal info, www.wdwig.com has a ton of info and should be able to answer those and other questions.

We normally visit in Dec or Jan and there are some good swimming days and some bad. We've seen temps in the 80's and in the low 60's. So the best advice I can offer is pack the bathing suits, but you may not get to use them. Of couse being from Chicago you may be used to the weather. On one trip in Jan. My brother and I did Blizzard beach in about 65 degrees, but since we came from upstate NY, it seemed warm. The cast member at the top of summit plummet was in a winter coat, gloves and winter hat and we were trotting around in bathing suits. ha!

Christmas in Disneyworld. That's got to be cool. I don't know if I could stand to be away from home though. Sounds like you'll have a great time. Have fun!!!:)

Upvote 0

O2Binspired

Original Poster
Thank you so much--my post was so long I think it scared all other potential resonses away! That website you mentioned will help for sure. We've never been away from home for Christmas, but last year when our youngest stopped watching the skies for Rudolf, I started thinking...I can't imagine a more inspired place to be this year. Soon our oldest moves off to college, and before you know it, will be having to share holidays with his girlfriend or whatever!

I'll report back to anyone interested in knowing how our adventure turns out at WDW during the busiest (and hopefully most magical) days of the year.

One last try--anyone have anything to say about eating at O'hana for a special family meal? I heard it's fun and yummy.

Upvote 0

Jodigrl328

I can help with the weather question (i haven't been lucky enough to stay at the poly yet).

When I went in December, the first 3 days it was sunny and 80 and we swam. It was still cold at night.

for the next 4 days, it was 45-50 degrees and freezing. We had to buy WDW tossle caps and gloves. The weather can change that quick so be prepared for anything.

6 MORE DAYS!!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

No problem at all.
Always willing to help.

The weather thing sure can be weird. But I love winter, so being able to wear my favorite WDW sweatshirt in WDW is always fun.

Sorry I don't know more about the ohana meal. But I would definately love to hear about your trip when you get home. If you don't want to post it, fire me off an PM or something.

Have a great time!!!

Upvote 0

ucf disneyfan

I've been to Disney World on Christmas about 5 times and its great!! A cool thing to see is the Osbourn Family Spectacle of Lights at MGM. And you might find that you're a little disappointed in Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Parade because half of it is taped a week before.

Upvote 0

DisneyCP2000

I can help you out with CandleLight, as for the speakers...they're not posted yet. As for the show...I've worked the event a couple of years ago. There are two choices: Dinner Package & Stand by. Either way make sure you get there early to whichever show you choose. You may have to get there as the previous show begins? After all you'll be attending on Christmas Eve. To be safe, make sure you get in line early, or stay around the American Adventure to see how long the lines are. Dinner Packages guarantees you a seat but it all depends on when you arrive. The people in the front of the line get first choice of somewhere up front, while those who arrive later have to sit somewhere in the middle of the theater. Lines for dinner packages can stretch from the Japan side of the theater all the way to Morrocco. Also if you choose to do a package make sure you book the time far enough apart between the dinner and show. I've had a couple of guests show up late due to slow kitchens :( . As for standby get there early and watch the lines to see how long they are. Ask cast members where the cutoff point usually is for standby, they should know after working it for a couple of weeks. Hope this clarifies some stuff on CP.

As for weather...you'll think eveyone's nuts for wearing a jacket at first. But once you get used to FL it may get a bit chilly, a sweatshirt during the day will be helpful and a medium weight jacket at night will be fine. Enjoy getting out of the snow :)

Upvote 0

MouseRight

Christmas in Disney is wonderful. Special time of the year. Don't miss any of the special stuff - Osbourne lights, Parades, shows, etc. Tell your 18 year old to be a kid for the last time and enjoy it all with you.

One thought on the cab ride thing. You don't have to check in. Go to the Poly, drop off your bags and go striaght to the Show. Then come back and check in. If you are staying at the concierge, they should take care of all of this for you. Ask them to arrange it so that when you get there, it's all done. Actually, I think the concierge calls you up a few days before arrivals and registers you before you arrive. Shoudl be easy for them to meet you and take your luggage and you go straight to teh show. How are you getting from airport to the Ploy? If by cab, perhaps the concierge can meet you at Downtown Disney and pick up your luggage??

I just tried Disney.com for info on the Candlelight Processional. I couldn't find anything. It must be there somewhere. Call concierge and ask if they can get it for you. My friends who have stayed concierge, usaully push these things back on teh concierge to solve and resaerch. That is one of teh reasons you are paying all of that extra dough. Go fo it.

Upvote 0

BoyXE

X-mas

I have spent many a Christmas at WDW. You should enjoy it a lot, even though the parks are crowded. If you plan on going to the Magic Kingdom on the actual holiday, best to have the patience of a saint. It's usually full to capacity (though you can go anyway as a hotel guest).

I have been to O'Hana many times, but never for Christmas. It is possible they will offer special Christmas selections. Even if not, the place is delicious and you can eat all you want. The menus can be found on the same website that you were referred to before, www.wdwig.com. It is the absolute best site. The moment any news of Candlelight speakers is announced, they will have it.

As for candlelight, it is true that seats are first-come, first serve even with the package, but remember that you are guaranteed a seat with the package. And while you may not be front and center if you arrive late, there really isn't a bad seat in the house since there isn't actually any movement on the stage once it starts. It is a beautiful choral and orchestral pageant, but there is no need to have a certain view of it. Just being in the theater is truly fine.

Have fun, my family is going once again there this year but I'm going to be out of town working... sigh.

Upvote 0

Titanbull

Christmas

My wife and I will be at WDW that week as well. I also have been told we are crazy to be going during Christmas. I am glad there are people out there saying it is well worth the trip. My wife loves Christmas both the spiritual side and the commercial. Have a great time!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

O2Binspired

Original Poster
You are all so cool!

Thanks to all you nice people--esp., JediOsborn, Jodigrl, ucfdisneyfan, DisneyCP2000, MouseRight, BoyXE, Titanbull...you all gave me great info and insight. How cool it is to run into this kind bunch in cyberspace. Such valuable info--the weather, ohana, the wdwig site, the solution to the cab/check-in issue, etc.! (yes, we really are going big staying Poly concierge at Christmas--ah, the temptations charge cards will bring when you are willing to pay out the nose for a dream...we will be working this vaca off for a while!).

And CP2000, thanks to your input on the CP, we booked the dinner package for a 5:45 seating at San Angel Inn-- I want those guaranteed seats. You all earned your ears with me--thanks again!

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Hi,

I suggest that you do the dinner package for the Candlelight Processional , that way you are guarenteed a seat. Just like BoyXE states, they do seat dinner package guests first. The people on standby get what ever is left. And with you being there on Christmas Eve, I think this would be the safest way to assure yourself of a seat. There are cabs outside of each deluxe hotel. I would suggest that you contact the concierge in the Poly ahead of time about your time constraints. They may shuttle you over in the hotel van. I have had this happen for my group. Please keep in mind that concierge has it's own building at the Poly.

Victoria and Albert's is located in the Grand Floridian and does not offer a character meal. Perhaps it should have been the Hollywood and Vine located in MGM Studios. We ate at the H&V on our last 2 trips. The kids love the character interaction there.

Upvote 0

Walt148

My mom just made reservations for our hotel and flight this past weekend. We are staying at the POR. We will arive Christmas Eve. I heard Christmas is a great time to go. Just three more months till I leave!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom