Christmas at WDW

Titanbull

My wife and I will ne at WDW for the week of Christmas, arriving that Saturday. Can anyone give us some information or opinion on the best times to visit specific parks and times or maybe some other helpful hints for this time of year?

:sohappy: :sohappy:

Disneyanna0521

Account Suspended
Hey,
I was at WDW for 12/27/00-1/03/01. It was INCREDIBLE. Here is a quick overview. This trip consisted of myself(14), my dad, my brother(17), my sister(12)-these ages were at the time. We drove down from north alabama on Wed. the 27. We had annual passes so that made it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier. (we made 3 trips on that 1 AP~if u stay more than a week it will pay for itself b/c free parking w/ it). Thur-Sat we went to the parks. Sunday(New Year's Eve) afternoon we were going to go to the afternoon parade at Magic Kingdom but it was full. Watch out for that. Thankfully we got in that night for NYE's other things. I think one of the reasons MK was not full was b/c that's the only park that's DRY (aka no beer etc). We drove back down that Wed. NYE's crowds were ankle to heel, AKA PACKED!!!! But it was well worth it, other than that the crowds were not bad. The Christmas decorations were up...one word BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also the Osborunes family of lights (whatever it's called) it incredible.. It takes place where the Backlot tour takes place.. In the day you can see everything literally WRAPPED in lights. It's a sight to see. When we went FL had record lows...so BE PREPARED!! We were all like "it's FL it won't get that cold" but mom made us pack a little bit for the extreme. we put on a TON!!!!!!!!!! of layers NYE. So ALWAYS pack for wheater extremes. That's about all i can think of...BTW if/ when it's cold...there are hot tea/hot cocoa stands everywhere. w/ the tea they give u a stryromfoam cup w/ hot water and a tea bag..they have sugar and cream. but it was NASTY!!!!!!!!!!! but it was cold so we had to drink it. If you have any other questions im or e-mail me at Disneyanna0521@aol.com

A disney nut,

Anna Elizabeth

:)

HAVE A VERY MAGICAL DAY!!!!!!!!

and a great trip!!!!

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

i haven't gone during Christmas, so personally, i can't give info on weather, crowds, etc. but i have been about 2 or 3 times during Thanksgiving week and they're decorated for Christmas then...lemme tell you it's some of the most impressive decorations imaginable! and what ever you do, do NOT miss the Osbourne Family Spectical of Lights at MGM! you'll never see another Christmas light display like it! and if you're lucky, it may even be 'snowing' down New York Street! it was when we checked out the light display one Thanksgiving night! it was absolutely stunning!

You and your wife will LOVE WDW during the holidays! just remember to wear pants, and probably long sleeve shirts, and most definately take a jacket! it may be Florida, but it still gets chilly in the winter!

Upvote 0

Disneyanna0521

Account Suspended
Hey,
Yeah..it was snowing on NY Street when we were there too. They also gave out free 3-d glasses...when u look up in things u see angels:) It's SO good:)

A disney nut,

Anna:)

Upvote 0

Juggler

I was out at the same time as Disneyanna0521 for New Year 2001. We had been told it would still be quite warm. Maybe it was me just being slightly stupid :hammer:, but we didn't come prepared for temperatures as low as zero degrees C! Not as cold as the UK when we got our flight over which was -10c but it was still cold. The plants had tents over them when we came out of Wilderness Lodge to protect them from the frost. We went on a mad shopping trip to buy warm clothes. I ended up wearing 3 T-Shirts, a hooded sweat shirt and an Australian bushman's hat (only hat left in the shop on NYE) and jean, just before I get reported to the police! I must have looked a right prat! (does "right prat" translates into American?) I was warm and that was the only thing that counted! The New Years Eve fire works in any of the parks are out of this world. The normal ones are great but new years eve, WOW! The atmosphere was great in MK, I had people hugging and kissing me (despite the hat!) :D. If you stand at the end of Main St near the bridge to Adventureland you can see the Epcot fireworks as well.

If you have time to visit some of the Disney Hotels the decorations are very impressive. We had a two week vacation at WL. We went to reception one morning, a week after we arrived and as if by Disney magic, all the decorations had gone. Not a trace! All was normal the night before when we got back at about midnight. But by 8am the next morning they had all gone.

That new years eve was the best my wife and I have ever had!

MGM is just as good as everyone says. Our first day of the vacation was New Years Eve and they had run out of the 3D glasses you need for to see the Angels but the snow fall was ace!
The Osbourne lights are a MUST!

The papers in Orlando said it had been the coldest new year in over 40 years, so maybe I was just unlucky with the weather.

It was still one of my best vacations! Next visit this Sept 13th 2002. Looking forward to the heat this time!

Upvote 0

Disneyanna0521

Account Suspended
Hey,
I forgot, i too got a hug.. it was really great being there w/ so many people, who are funny, and love disney magic. Thanks to all for bringing back so many great memories. BTW we parked in "Grumpy 114" i will NEVER forget that..grumpy is so OPPOSITE of how i feel.

A disney nut,

Anna:)

Upvote 0

NADisney

We go the First week of Dec ,less crowds and more shopping before christmas.We love the Mickey christmas party at night with snow on Main Street.We also visit the resorts to look at the decorations on display.

Upvote 0

Becky

:wave:

Actually I thought the past two years at Christmas time were rather warm (for Dec./Jan.) In the mid-80's it was heavy coats, scarfs, hats and gloves. I guess there is something to global warming.

Crowds-Huge

Is it worth it? Absolutly. The best decorations, the best parades, true Disney magic.

Everything is booked for this year.

Upvote 0

cm1988

Can get chilly... but maybe not

Originally posted by Becky
:wave:

Actually I thought the past two years at Christmas time were rather warm (for Dec./Jan.) In the mid-80's it was heavy coats, scarfs, hats and gloves. I guess there is something to global warming.

Crowds-Huge

Is it worth it? Absolutly. The best decorations, the best parades, true Disney magic.

Everything is booked for this year.

After 14 Orlando winters, it seems that we get five days sometime between December 15 and January 30th that are really chilly. Sometimes all five days are in one 'snap', other times they're scattered over those six weeks. Might even see frost one or two mornings, then likely to warm up to the 70's because the skies are clear on those colder days.

Oh, yeah... as you're packing, try this link. They actually predict weather with some accuracy several days out.

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by Juggler
The atmosphere was great in MK, I had people hugging and kissing me (despite the hat!) :D

as in strangers hugging and kissing you? that's pretty cool! i'd probably get a little freaked out if that happened :lookaroun , but i think it'd be pretty cool to share the love on NYE with people you don't know while in the Happiest Place on Earth!

as for the 3-D glasses, i've gotten some of those too! the first pair i ever got from MGM made the lights look like snowflakes, and the second pair i got made the lights look either like stars or angels...i can't really remember. i LOVE those things! have you ever looked up at the sun with them on? :dazzle: yeah....me neither. lol. seriously, though...they make the light display even more magnificent!

btw, i don't think anyone has explained this yet....as someone mentioned, the display is down the street with all the fronts of houses that you see while on the backlot tour...but i think it's important that you know that you don't ride backlot tour to see the display. all you do is go down NY street, and at night they take the road blocks away. it starts on the left side of the archway (at the end of NY street) and the street that you walk on circles around and the display ends on the right side of the archway. i really hope that makes sence! if it doesn't, hopefully someone else can explain it better! bottom line is that you walk where the backlot tour vehicles run...just follow the rest of the crowd and you'll be fine! ;)

Upvote 0

Titanbull

Original Poster
All of this information is really great! I really enjoy hearing these things. Keep 'em coming. Also, does anyone know hwen they usually put the schedule out for Christmas and let you start making reservations? This is our second trip and know the restaurants fairly well.
:D

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by Titanbull
All of this information is really great! I really enjoy hearing these things. Keep 'em coming. Also, does anyone know hwen they usually put the schedule out for Christmas and let you start making reservations? This is our second trip and know the restaurants fairly well.
:D

reservations as in dinner reservations or resort reservations? gosh, i can't even remember how long prior to your stay they let you make resort reservations...i've been a Disney Vacation Club member for 2 years, so it's been a while (DVC members have a max # of months they can call prior to their stay to make reservations)....ummmm, i THINK you can make reservations at any time (that's for dinner and resort) but don't hold me to that. i hope that's what you were talking about, anyway.

may i make some suggestions for restaurants? i don't know which you have eaten at, but Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater is my absolute favorite! you must give it a try! it's really great to go to Sci-Fi between meals... sometimes you don't even need reservations, you can just walk right in and get something small like a milkshake (btw, they have AWESOME milkshakes!) Alfredo's in Italy is really great too! some of the best Italian i've ever had!

Upvote 0

Jedi Osborn

The one bit of info I'd like to share is pretty common thru the whole year. If you can, stay away from Magic Kingdom on Saturday. It seems that during the holiday season, all the locals come in to see the decorations on Saturday making it very crowded compared to the middle of the week.

Have fun

Upvote 0

Titanbull

Original Poster
We are looking for dinner reservations for the Candlelight Processional. We already have hotel reservations. And you are right, Alfredo's is some of the best Italian we also have had. I'm of Italian heritage and can testify to that fact.

Upvote 0

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by Titanbull
And you are right, Alfredo's is some of the best Italian we also have had. I'm of Italian heritage and can testify to that fact.

that's awesome!! i've only eaten at Alfredo's once in the 13 trips i've taken...i would LOVE to eat there again sometime!
have you ever eaten at Mama Melrose's at MGM? my mom has always wanted to eat there, but has never found out if the food is good or not.
sorry for getting a bit o/t...but i just had to ask.

Upvote 0

Titanbull

Original Poster
that's awesome!! i've only eaten at Alfredo's once in the 13 trips i've taken...i wou

We didn't have time to eat at Mama Melrose's, but we will probably try it when we go in December. The best litmus test for an Italian restaurant like this is to order just a side dish of marinara and noodles and see how it tastes. If it is good, more than likely the whole menu is since marinara is the base of most dishes like at Mama Melrose's place. They make their own noodles from what I saw just looking around. I don't think you can go wrong there. Mangiare buono!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom