Christmas at WDW - What really happens ?

CAPTAIN HOOK

Original Poster
Ok - so I know about the changes in the parades, the showing of Fantasy In The Sky, a longer showing of Illuminations on New Years Eve and The Osborne Lights etc. Apart from the resorts being decorated - what else is there ?

Do the characters dress up for the Meet and Greets, Are there any Festive changes to any of the rides or the other shows (Beauty and The Beast) ?

Yenfid

The characters are dressed for the Holidays. The B & B show does have Christmas in it, or it did the last time I was there for the Holidays, 2001. If you go to the Very Merry Mickey Christmas night then the rides do have Holiday themes to them and a special fireworks show.

jamesbills1604

if there is one time in the year i would love to go it would be christmas, i went in november/december with all the christmas trees and the music was fantastic. bit weird walking round in shorts and t with fake snow but oh well all part of the magic

Rabflmom

And this year Blizzard Beach with its Christmas music and fake snow will be open for the whole Christmas season. Just seems like the schedule of closures for the water parks should always leave Blizzard open for the holidays because of the atmosphere. But then I think maybe if you are coming down from the snowy North maybe tourists are looking for tropics instead of snow and Christmas lights. LOL

poohster

we were just there and i was a little dissappointed to the halloween theme not much at all different goes on, went to the party and all that was different was a halloween parade which was good dont get me wrong, fireworks and the trick or treat which takes most your time up queing as you like to get your monies worth........lol but we ended up leaving a bag full of sweets for the maids when we left, was only MK that had a small halloween theme and nowhere else :(. Think disney has lost a little magic :(

Captain Hank

There's also Holidays around the World at Epcot, where every World Showcase pavilion has storytellers representing their Christmas, or--in the case of countries that don't celebrate Christmas--winter holiday traditions. Also the Candlelight Processional, which is a retelling of the Christmas story from the Bible, featuring a celebrity narrator and a massed chior of WDW Cast Members from all over property and high school groups from around the state and country. The night ends with the "Let There be Peace on Earth" Illuminations tag. With the unbelievable amount of shells a the end, it's like the pyro techs are making a concerted effort to blow up Epcot. Note that all of these happen every night from the day after Thanksgiving through December 30.

In addition, many of the background music loops are replaced with park-appropriate Christmas music. In many places, characters are out in Christmas costumes.

Captain Hank

we were just there and i was a little dissappointed to the halloween theme not much at all different goes on, went to the party and all that was different was a halloween parade which was good dont get me wrong, fireworks and the trick or treat which takes most your time up queing as you like to get your monies worth........lol but we ended up leaving a bag full of sweets for the maids when we left, was only MK that had a small halloween theme and nowhere else :(. Think disney has lost a little magic :(
Historically, WDW hasn't really ever done much for Halloween, outside of the Not-So-Scary Halloween party and the huanted hayride at Fort Wilderness. In fact, just this year they started putting up new Halloween decorations on Main Street for day guests. In other words, WDW is now expanding its offerings for Halloween, rather than diminishing them.

If you want Disney Halloween, go to Disneyland Paris (which, considering your location, you probably have). From what I've seen, it looks incredible there with all of the seasonal theming, particularly the really creepy thing that pulls the riverboat around. I've always wanted to go there during Halloween.

Dingle66

We are so spoiled.....

Sometimes I read folks' comments in these discussions and it makes me realize what a spoiled society we are! :brick:We are so demanding and expect everything to be so perfect. Granted, Disney can always find ways to improve and they constantly work at that. But I still believe no one comes close to providing a better escape from the drudgery and pressures of the world live in. A behind the scenes tour at any of Disney provides a much better perspective on what it takes to create the "magic" day in and day out. It's easy to find flaws...unless you simply appreciate the opportunities Disney provides. :)

sissa216

I can't think of anything else, but have to add that the entire place is transformed. I'm sure you've seen plenty of pictures, but the decorations everywhere, along with the special Christmas background music, make it "extra magical".
Plus, I have to second Epcot. The Candlelight Processional is amazing, as are the "holidays around the world".
There are also the obvious perks, such as the parade, mvmcp, and osborne lights at mgm. And it has been a few years since I was there that time of year, but there was the Christmas stage show in Tomorrowland (I'm not sure if it's still there)

Sometimes I read folks' comments in these discussions and it makes me realize what a spoiled society we are! :brick:We are so demanding and expect everything to be so perfect. Granted, Disney can always find ways to improve and they constantly work at that. But I still believe no one comes close to providing a better escape from the drudgery and pressures of the world live in. A behind the scenes tour at any of Disney provides a much better perspective on what it takes to create the "magic" day in and day out. It's easy to find flaws...unless you simply appreciate the opportunities Disney provides. :)

Frankly I take offense to that comment... Expecting to get your money's worth isn't spoiled.

Disney charges extra for the Halloween party and quite frankly I think the folk deserve better than they get. Lets be honest, they charge the same for the Halloween part as they do for the Christmas party yet the only thing you get at Halloween are some dime store candy that I would be ashamed to pass out to treat or treaters compared to full size cookies and hot chocolate at Christmas... and that's only one part of the Mickey's Not So Special Halloween Party.

Ok - so I know about the changes in the parades, the showing of Fantasy In The Sky, a longer showing of Illuminations on New Years Eve and The Osborne Lights etc. Apart from the resorts being decorated - what else is there ?

Do the characters dress up for the Meet and Greets, Are there any Festive changes to any of the rides or the other shows (Beauty and The Beast) ?

Characters at normal meet and greets are wearing Christmas costumes... Pooh will be normal Pooh during the normal days during Christmas season but during Mickeys Christmas Parties Pooh will have on a red Santa hat or something like that... I don't recall any special characters except that I do recall the meet and greet area near the old skylift area in Fantasyland had Belle and the Beast together in fancy outfits but they weren't there the whole night, they were changed with snow white at some point during the party.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom