Christmas at the parks

GoofGoof

Premium Member
New member here and very excited that me and my 10 y/o son will be at wdw over Xmas. We have a bunch of questions but the first one is: how busy are the parks during Xmas week? Thanks!

Welcome to the boards. One word to describe the crowds - Huge. It's the busiest week of the year. MK will most likely reach capacity by mid-afternoon most days and they will stop letting people in. I would advise checking out a site like touringplans.com which can help at least guide you towards which park is best on each day.

Some basic advice, get to the parks before rope drop (9am). The first few hours will have the lowest lines which is key to visiting at a busy time. Make ADRs if you plan to eat any meals at sit down restaurants (anymore this goes for any time of year). If you are staying on property make sure to utilize the FP+ reservations. For advice on that check out the section of the forum section on my magic and FP+.

On the positive side all of the Christmas decorations will be up and the Christmas Parade at MK runs every day. We went the week before Thanksgiving and most of the Christmas stuff was up. It's really impressive, especially if you have never seen it before. Make sure you check out the Osbourne Lights at DHS.

Upvote 0

luv

It's the busiest time of the year. Join touringplans.com and get yourself some good plans so that you'll be able to see and do as much as possible.

Pack a lot of extra patience.

Try to see the day parade in the MK and the lights in DHS at night. Epcot has a candlelight Processional, if you're into that sort of thing.

Merry Christmas! :)

Upvote 0

brokedad

Like everyone will tell you, Packed! We went last year and could not even walk around, only did a few rides, I swore I would never go on Christmas again.Take goofgoofs advice and make a solid plan, dont just wing it like I always do, enjoy and welcome to the forums.

Upvote 0

FitzherbertFreak

Extremely crowded, and frankly a little frightening for a first-timer. You're probably gonna want to get as much of the experience (obviously), so if you haven't already, make reservations for restaurants ahead of time. Also try to come up with some activities/games while you're waiting in line. The waits are unbearable, but a little something helps you pass the time. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Upvote 0

John

OK, I am going to give you some different advice. It isn't going to be popular but I think it is sound advice. My advice......cancel and rebook your trip! Why? You are a newbie, you are spending a ton of money. The parks will be packed to capacity as been said. I would hate for you to go and have a bad experience. Going Christmas week is not for the inexperienced. Can it be done? yes! but even the most experienced park guest can and do get frustrated navigating the crowds. I promise you have never seen nothing like it. If you book it just a couple weeks later you will have a much better experience. I know your son must be excited to go but those dreams will be quickly shattered when you have to wait in long lines for EVERYTHING...

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
New member here and very excited that me and my 10 y/o son will be at wdw over Xmas. We have a bunch of questions but the first one is: how busy are the parks during Xmas week? Thanks!
Welcome to WDWMAGIC!

As others have said, it is the busiest week at WDW. Expect the most popular attractions to have 2 hour waits, and extremely busy walkways throughout the parks.

In my opinion if you visit during that week, I would not plan on doing a lot of attractions. Soak in the atmosphere and Christmas entertainment. But be prepared for it to be extremely crowded.

Here is a guide to all the entertainment
http://www.wdwmagic.com/christmas.htm

Upvote 0

luv

OK, I am going to give you some different advice. It isn't going to be popular but I think it is sound advice. My advice......cancel and rebook your trip! Why? You are a newbie, you are spending a ton of money. The parks will be packed to capacity as been said. I would hate for you to go and have a bad experience. Going Christmas week is not for the inexperienced. Can it be done? yes! but even the most experienced park guest can and do get frustrated navigating the crowds. I promise you have never seen nothing like it. If you book it just a couple weeks later you will have a much better experience. I know your son must be excited to go but those dreams will be quickly shattered when you have to wait in long lines for EVERYTHING...
He isn't kidding. You can wait 20 minutes or more for the bathroom or to buy a bottle of water at a street cart. You may even have to wait to pay for things.

Long waits for EVERYTHING. Pack extra patience! Keep your expectations low. Don't plan on riding much.

We aren't trying to bring you down, just want you to be prepared. :)

Upvote 0

John

I wonder how these folks are making out? With the reports we have had I don't think they are having such a magical time. I wish they had taken my advice. I cant imagine going at Christmas week and it being my very first visit.:facepalm:

Upvote 0

coachwnh

We have been here twice for Christmas week, including staying at YC right now. Yes it can be crazy packed, but if you come with a plan you really can see and do a lot. The planning will be difficult if you havent been to WDW before. FP+ selections and use of paper FPs once in a park will make it easier; however, if this is unfamiliar to you even that can get tricky. There really are so many extras to see and do in WDW at Christmas. My advice to you would be to take your time and expect big crowds. If you want to avoid this, get to the parks early (right at opening) and go later at night. You will see and do so much more at those times. Whatever you do, remember to have fun!!!!!!!! You are on vacation at the Happiest Place on Earth! Welcome to the boards!!!

Upvote 0

Dan102061

Original Poster
I want to thank everyone for their replies. This was actually our second time to WDW, but our first time on Christmas. We stayed (on points) at the Hilton across from Downtown Disney. We had an early pass to MK on Xmas day and got to ride the good stuff before it got packed. We had a swimming pool / hottub day on the 26th. Then we went to HWS on the 27th. Got there before the gates opened and again got on the good rides before the crowds. The fastpass thingy worked well and we went to the smaller attractions in-between. We had no problem getting snacks or lunch at any of the food vendors. And we ate at Downtown Disney restaurants almost every night - the longest we waited for a table was 10 minutes. We had a car which made it nice to venture outside of Disney a couple of nights. All in all, my son and I had a GREAT time. Not sure I'd go back over Xmas but it was GREAT nonetheless!!! Even though I'm back at work, I can still smell the Ghirardelli chocolate.

Upvote 0
That's great! We were there 12/25 through 12/28. We were at the park for AM EMH and out by 2. Then we returned at night after dinner. Completely missed the crowds and on the night of 12/27 there were EMH to 3am! From 12am-3am no waits! The kids did fine with this because we all slept from 4pm-730pm. This plan worked really well for us. We are experienced Disney guests and made the best decisions to maximize our experience.

Upvote 0

John

I want to thank everyone for their replies. This was actually our second time to WDW, but our first time on Christmas. We stayed (on points) at the Hilton across from Downtown Disney. We had an early pass to MK on Xmas day and got to ride the good stuff before it got packed. We had a swimming pool / hottub day on the 26th. Then we went to HWS on the 27th. Got there before the gates opened and again got on the good rides before the crowds. The fastpass thingy worked well and we went to the smaller attractions in-between. We had no problem getting snacks or lunch at any of the food vendors. And we ate at Downtown Disney restaurants almost every night - the longest we waited for a table was 10 minutes. We had a car which made it nice to venture outside of Disney a couple of nights. All in all, my son and I had a GREAT time. Not sure I'd go back over Xmas but it was GREAT nonetheless!!! Even though I'm back at work, I can still smell the Ghirardelli chocolate.

FANTASTIC! As you see I was worried about you. So glad it all worked out. Don't be a stranger.....come back and visit us.

Upvote 0

IanS

If you go just after Thanksgiving like my family does, you have all the Christmas attractions and a relatively quiet Disney World

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom