Christmas at the DLR

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Although Halloween is still over a week away, signs of Christmas have already started popping up at the DLR.

Christmas lights have gone up on some of the Disneyland trees:

10-14-13-IMG_2930.jpg

10-14-13-IMG_2843.jpg

"it's a small world" is now closed for its overlay:

10-21-13-IMG_3992.jpg

10-21-13-IMG_4088.jpg

Bolts in DCA have been put up for decorations:

10-21-13-IMG_5228.jpg

10-21-13-IMG_5269.jpg

Cars Land has received the "telephone poles" for decorations as well:

10-21-13-IMG_5302.jpg

A Bug's Land has received its holiday decor:

10-21-13-IMG_4822.jpg

10-21-13-IMG_4891.jpg

Of course, holiday merchandise is now available:

10-14-13-IMG_3309.jpg

10-21-13-IMG_5398.jpg

10-21-13-IMG_4996.jpg

10-21-13-IMG_5023.jpg

10-21-13-IMG_5128.jpg

Haha:

10-21-13-IMG_5210.jpg

10-21-13-IMG_5191.jpg

More updates as they come, later.

http://micechat.com/46110-holidays-move-in-at-disneyland/

coachwnh

In the Parks
No
I would love to see Halloween and Christmas in DL, but I guess seeing them both in WDW this year is more then I could have ever imagined. Thanks for the great picks.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
:( but it's not Halloween yet - I understand people want to get a "jump" on the holidays but October is crazy for Christmas decorations.

Side-note - @raven24 - is Halloween or Christmas at DL better? The girls and I are thinking about our next trip to DL.

Honestly, I enjoy Halloween at Disneyland more, but for personal reasons. I'm all about the true meaning of Christmas, and I feel Disney is way too commercialized when it comes to the subject. If I didn't feel this way, I'd most definitely enjoy Christmas more at Disneyland. There are decorations everywhere (except Tomorrowland), the Christmas snacks are really good, Santa comes, "it's a small world" Holiday is better than the original, Cars Land and Buena Vista Street during Christmas are fabulous... I could go on. I'd say Disneyland puts way more effort into Christmas than Halloween. The only exception would be the firework show, which is flat out boring to me. The Halloween show is so much more entertaining. There are no parties for Christmas at Disneyland (yet), which is probably the biggest difference between the two coasts.

Grumps

I think that I am going to treat the family to our first Disneyland trip for Christmas this year. What is the weather typically like? I was targeting mid December, how are the crowds usually for that time of year?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I think that I am going to treat the family to our first Disneyland trip for Christmas this year. What is the weather typically like? I was targeting mid December, how are the crowds usually for that time of year?

It will be cold during December. A lot of people who don't come from the west tend to underestimate the cold season in SoCal. It gets pretty darn crisp and nippy. Crowds are usually high during mid December, especially on the weekends. I'd go on the weekdays and avoid the weekends.

Cosmic Commando

Thanks. I am from Colorado so I am used to cold. Not sure what to expect from CA cold though. Are we talking 40's, 50's?
Since you probably have road salt in your blood like I do, you'll be fine during the day. If you're going to stay late, though, you might want to bring some extra layers... it always feels so much colder once the sun's down and there's a good chance that you'll be standing around outside not moving much for a long time while waiting for a night time show.

Cosmic Commando

:( but it's not Halloween yet - I understand people want to get a "jump" on the holidays but October is crazy for Christmas decorations.

Side-note - @raven24 - is Halloween or Christmas at DL better? The girls and I are thinking about our next trip to DL.
I understand stuff in the stores, even snow on the castle isn't unusual for many people around Halloween, but the actual CHRISTMAS decorations in Bug's Land is downright weird.

Unless you are a "Halloween person", Christmas is definitely better. The only substantive Halloween offering without a Christmas counterpart are Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy and the lighting effects on the exterior of SM. Although I enjoy it, you're not missing much there. Regular Space Mountain at DL is one of my absolute favorite coasters, so there's no let down seeing the normal one. For Christmas, you've got Haunted Mansion Holiday, a "carnival/festival" type area, decorations on MSUSA and Frontierland that are duplicative of Halloween offerings. Everything else that's offered for Christmas is in addition to the Halloween stuff: decorations in almost every land, Santa on Buena Vista Street and Frontierland, the new Christmas World of Color, Christmas fireworks and the Christmas parade (which is good, even though locals may complain that it hasn't changed in a while), plus It's A Small World Holiday... it's BETTER than the original.

GiveMeTheMusic

I don't understand the snow on the Castle at all. Clearly it can be done overnight - why would you do it before the end of hard ticket Halloween parties? Could they really NOT wait until November 1 to put the dinosaur poop on the Castle? It's moronic. Do Halloween, do Christmas - but don't do both at the same time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom