Christmas and New Year's Eve Plans

scbb11Sketch

Original Poster
So I was just curious; if you are going to be in WDW this holiday season, where are you planning to go on Christmas or New Year's Eve? These are two days when it seems (for me at least) that you always have to plan exactly where you're going and what you're going to do.
This year I'm pretty excited to celebrate New Year's Eve at Raglan Road. They do two different celebrations, with one at 7pm to ring in the new year in Ireland and then of course midnight. I'll be there at midnight listening to Creel before heading back to Chicago the next day.
So where have other people planned to go?

Jakester

I will be celebrating at Magic Kingdom (like I have the past 2years).
I'll be arriving around 9:30am, and will be staying until the 2am close.

boilerpicc

I am curious about everyone's replies on this one. This year will be my first time being in WDW for NYE. We are planning on going to MK, but is Epcot better?

hankhill

Will be Epcot Christmas Eve and MK Christmas Day.

Same plan as last year....Breakfast ADR at Crystal Palace, we will arrive before to ride Space Mountain and get Peter Pan fast pass. Then the parade and just let the day come to us. Last year we left about 4 to relax and prep for dinner at Ohana on Christmas Night. This year its California Grille. Yipee!

etwtec

So which park is "The place to be" on NYE? Keep hearing Epcot is the best but not sure... I was at MK one year and it was insanely crowded and those freakin horns drove me nuts! to put it lightly... and honestly there was nothing special about being there. Same entertainment that I can see on Much less crowded nights! and the NYE Fireworks/Fantasy In The Sky was not even that great IMO.

If I was to go to Epcot on NYE would I be safe going in the evening? I know MK closes before noon, but what about Epcot?

Also what is Christmas Eve usually like at the MK? I assume nothing special happens but how bad is the crowds? Are we talking NYE crowds where the park closes? Or just general busy day crowds?

MarkTwain

Traditionally, we have always gone into Magic Kingdom the day before New Years Eve, when they run the exact same fireworks as they do on the big night itself (but with less crowds), and keep the park open to 3am for EMH, which we always enjoy.

This year, we are likely spending that day in SeaWorld instead, due to its newly enhanced Christmas celebrations.

As for New Years itself, we plan on watching the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the lounge and lookout balcony at the top of Bay Lake Tower. They throw a nice jazzy party up there on New Years Eve. :xmas: We also have a reservation in California Grill that night, so it sounds like we'll be having a very Contemporary celebration.

We're also planning on making a stop at Epcot for some San Angel goodness at some point in the trip, and probably also spending a day or two checking out some of the hotels' Christmas decorations.

Kinda playing it by ear a little bit. Even in our New Years trips, we're not the planning type. :lol:

majorrfb

Depends: w/or without children.

I am curious about everyone's replies on this one. This year will be my first time being in WDW for NYE. We are planning on going to MK, but is Epcot better?

If your are bringing younger children with you, then only the Magic Kingdom. No drinking is the policy at the Magic Kingdom. EPCOT, alcohol is sold everywhere, readily available. Unfortunately, many adults (?) get bombed and its not a pretty sight for the young ones. I have seen this situation first hand. Both parks do have fantastic holiday fireworks to celebrate the season!!! Good luck and have a great time. :xmas: :sohappy:

DebbieL

My plans are the same as they have been for the last 5+ years. Get to Epcot at opening, stay until dinner (we always make an ADR for dinner somewhere in Epcot, this year it's at the Coral Reef), then head back to our BW-view room at BWV and watch the fireworks from the balcony. Can't wait!

worldfanatic

I'll be out here on the West Coast enjoying Anaheim's Downtown Disney on New Year's Eve.
It'll be real fun, but I'll be thinking (jealously) about all of you having a blast throughout Walt Disney World on that night.
Someday, despite the outrageous crowds, I hope to head East and spend Christmas and New Years at WDW.

timeman

This year, we are likely spending that day in SeaWorld instead, due to its newly enhanced Christmas celebrations.

I was just at Seaworld this past weekend and will say you will love it. They really out did themselves with the decorations this year. I highly recommend seeing the Sea of Trees show on the lake, they do the show a few times each night. The other two things I highly recommend are the Winter Wonderland On Ice show & the new show O Wondrous Night. The first show of O Wondrous Night will usually fill up around 45 minutes before showtime, while the second show takes a little longer to fill up. I highly recommend either getting in line for the first show early or going to the second show. I would definitely get in the line between 7 & 7:30 for the second show.

ArtieJim

My girlfriend and I will be flying down very early Christmas morning then spending the entire day at MK after making a stop at CBR to check in. We have a dinner ADR at Tony's and then the Wishes Dessert Party later that evening. As for NYE we'll be at Epcot, we have a dinner ADR at Chefs de France but we plan on being at the park all day.

Alektronic

I prefer Epcot for NYE because of all the extra entertainment like in China and Italy, they usually have a DJ with dancing and have cool lighting,fire effects, and laser effects. And then you get to see ROE twice plus the WW lll barge plus a lot perimeter country shots.

MarkTwain

I'll be out here on the West Coast enjoying Anaheim's Downtown Disney on New Year's Eve.
It'll be real fun, but I'll be thinking (jealously) about all of you having a blast throughout Walt Disney World on that night.
Someday, despite the outrageous crowds, I hope to head East and spend Christmas and New Years at WDW.

Rumor has it that the amazing DCA show from last year (with a combination of fireworks and World of Color effects) will be making a grand return this year, if you're interested. :) Supposedly, DCA has dethroned Disneyland as the place to be on New Years.

I was just at Seaworld this past weekend and will say you will love it. They really out did themselves with the decorations this year. I highly recommend seeing the Sea of Trees show on the lake, they do the show a few times each night. The other two things I highly recommend are the Winter Wonderland On Ice show & the new show O Wondrous Night. The first show of O Wondrous Night will usually fill up around 45 minutes before showtime, while the second show takes a little longer to fill up. I highly recommend either getting in line for the first show early or going to the second show. I would definitely get in the line between 7 & 7:30 for the second show.

Thanks for the advice! We checked out Christmas at SeaWorld a few years ago and were impressed even then, and after hearing all of the enhancements they've made in the past 1 -2 years, we thought we'd stop by and see what's new. :D

JiminyHCricket

Specialty Cruise at EPCOT for Illuminations

Hey WDW,

We have rented a 10-person boat to take us onto the lake for the New Year's Eve late viewing of Illuminations, and we have 2 seats left.

The music is piped into the boat to sync with the show, so it's a great way to get away from the crowds on land.

Seats are $100 per person, so anyone looking for a very unique way to spend New Year's Eve this year (or if you value personal space and breathing room), PM me or email at mfro@me.com.

Email for speediest reply!!

Jiminy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom